BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

Adaptive M Suspension

Hello everyone, I just bought a 2021 x5 40i with the M sport package. Can anyone tell me how the "Adaptive M Suspension." works?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3r2z8f30i View Post
Hello everyone, I just bought a 2021 x5 40i with the M sport package. Can anyone tell me how the "Adaptive M Suspension." works?
Adaptive M Suspension is always active and adjusts dampening based on Driving Dynamics Control - SPORT, SPORT INDIVIDUAL, COMFORT, ADAPTIVE, ECO PRO.

TLDR;
Not get too technical, think of DDC as the software program that tells the EDC (Electronic Damper Control) connected to each shock absorber - as the hardware - on how dampen the vehicle ride. Adaptive M suspension (consisting of steel springs/shocks, roll bars) is straightforward and nothing overly technical about it. If you had air suspension or M50i with Dynamic Handling Package then this would be a longer discussion.

Also Download BMW Driver's Guide App, search for Driving Dynamics Control. Win and avoids posts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
evodz127.00
      12-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #3
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

Cool thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Adaptive M Suspension works by making sure your car does not float across the road like a boat.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
zippityeg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Last night I test drove two xDrive40i's back to back. One had the two axle air suspension and the other had the Adaptive M Suspension. I went in with an open mind to liking either one. My main concern going in was that the Adaptive M Suspension would not be comfortable enough. I drove both vehicles along the same route and they both had the same 22' wheels and the same comfort seats with massage and ventilation. I drove at highway speeds, on some decent roads and along some roads that had a ton of pot holes and were in pretty bad shape. To me, it felt that the Adaptive M suspension was actually the better suspension even from a comfort perspective. The air suspension did not feel more comfortable to me and it did have the sensation that others on the forum have mentioned that caused a feeling of sea sickness. I was surprised that the air suspension simply wasn't more comfortable to me. The drive over the bumps and potholes was more comfortable in the Adaptive M suspension. I alternated between comfort and sport and sport+ modes for both suspensions. The air suspension did tighten up significantly in sport+ and was more than stiff enough for my taste, however the comfort mode just wasn't more comfortable than the Adaptive M. It tended to float but not absorb impact as well as the Adaptive M. I think the springs of the Adaptive M make the SUV feel more connected to the road and simply provides a better and more comfortable ride. And by better, I don't mean the usual "sporty drive" that most refer to. It was simply better overall both for comfort and for sportiness. I don't think I would use sport mode very often since it is quite stiff, nor do I intend to race around corners to test the pitch and dive of the SUV, but for me the Adaptive M was better overall. And since the Adaptive M suspension is available on both xLine and Msport at the same price in Canada, it's the one I will choose.

Last edited by zippityeg; 12-11-2020 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 13
LexxM31698.50
GREENPUS133.00
bandersen590.00
Mixitt372.00
ppnff89.00
radmjk240.50
FiatLux11.50
khailuan112.50
      12-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippityeg View Post
Last night I test drove two xDrive40i's back to back. One had the two axle air suspension and the other had the Adaptive M Suspension. I went in with an open mind to liking either one. My main concern going in was that the Adaptive M Suspension would not be comfortable enough. I drove both vehicles along the same route and they both had the same 22' wheels and the same comfort seats with massage and ventilation. I drove at highway speeds, on some decent roads and along some roads that had a ton of pot holes and were in pretty bad shape. To me, it felt that the Adaptive M suspension was actually the better suspension even from a comfort perspective. The air suspension did not feel more comfortable to me and it did have the sensation that others on the forum have mentioned that caused a feeling of sea sickness. I was surprised that the air suspension simply wasn't more comfortable to me. The drive over the bumps and potholes was more comfortable in the Adaptive M suspension. I alternated between comfort and sport and sport+ modes for both suspensions. The air suspension did tighten up significantly in sport+ and was more than stiff enough for my taste, however the comfort mode just wasn't more comfortable than the Adaptive M. It tended to float but not absorb impact as well as the Adaptive M. I think the springs of the Adaptive M make the SUV feel more connected to the road and simply provides a better and more comfortable ride. And by better, I don't mean the usual "sporty drive" that most refer to. It was simply better overall both for comfort and for sportiness. I don't think I would use sport mode very often since it is quite stiff, nor do I intend to race around corners to test the pitch and dive of the SUV, but for me the Adaptive M was better overall. And since the Adaptive M suspension is available on both xLine and Msport at the same price in Canada, it's the one I will choose.
Excellent way to make an entrance to the forum! Welcome. This might the first super clean A/B comparison of the two systems with all other things being equal that we have (plenty of discussions and looser comparisons beforehand, but none this clean).
      12-11-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
which one you felt was rolling more?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
zippityeg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm not sure what you mean by rolling; but either suspension is going to require a really fast tight turn to get it to lean much. Both are quite stiff in their sport+ settings. The Adaptive M does react faster and rebound quicker. From my perspective, I can't think of a reason I would want the air suspension unless lowering or raising the vehicle was important. I wouldn't offroad it where raising the suspension by that much would make a sufficient difference. And lowering it wouldn't benefit me but might someone else who had some access issues or loading issues that the little bit of lowering might help. Before I started the comparison, I was fairly certain I was going to end up going with the air suspension, and so I'm glad I had the chance to compare the two.

Last edited by zippityeg; 12-11-2020 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the springs of the Adaptive M make the SUV feel more connected to the road and simply provides a better and more comfortable ride.
Quote:
The Adaptive M does react faster and rebound quicker
Base, Adaptive M and Adaptive M Pro suspension are more responsive due to use steel springs and struts, which will definitely react more quickly than air bellows and struts.

Due to the inertia of the air suspension system means that it cannot react to driving dynamics disturbance variables, which occur when the X5 is driven quickly on twisting roads.

Appreciate 1
      12-12-2020, 01:43 AM   #10
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by rolling; but either suspension is going to require a really fast tight turn to get it to lean much. Both are quite stiff in their sport+ settings. The Adaptive M does react faster and rebound quicker. From my perspective, I can't think of a reason I would want the air suspension unless lowering or raising the vehicle was important. I wouldn't offroad it where raising the suspension by that much would make a sufficient difference. And lowering it wouldn't benefit me but might someone else who had some access issues or loading issues that the little bit of lowering might help. Before I started the comparison, I was fairly certain I was going to end up going with the air suspension, and so I'm glad I had the chance to compare the two.
Yeah, I meant body roll.

Good test. I’m glad I went with Adaptive M.

Last edited by leasehackr; 12-12-2020 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 02:41 AM   #11
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Great feedback and comparison!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #12
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to record your comparison...good suff!
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
TXDroneRacer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp, 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
I was playing with the BMWNA X5 xDrive 40i configurator today.. I don't see an option for Adaptive M Suspension. Is it included with the M Sport package? If so, it isn't included in the description.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #14
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDroneRacer View Post
I was playing with the BMWNA X5 xDrive 40i configurator today.. I don't see an option for Adaptive M Suspension. Is it included with the M Sport package? If so, it isn't included in the description.
Yes, Adaptive M is the default suspension with the M Sport package.
2011 X5 50i Sport Activity
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post
can u cite this? in the US, i only see Adaptive M suspension standard for the X5 M50i and X5 M.

when building out the xDr40i, it doesn't list Adaptive M suspension when selecting the M Sport package. we have the option to add 2-axle self-leveling air suspension (not adaptive) for either xLine or M Sport packages.

when building out the xDr45e, it comes standard with 2-axle self-leveling air suspension for both xLine or M Sport packages. FWIW, i just took delivery of the xDr45e w/M Sport package and it doesn't include Adaptive M suspension; my build list states "2-axle air suspension".

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-24-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoromar View Post
can u cite this? in the US, i only see Adaptive M suspension standard for the X5 M50i and X5 M.

when building out the xDr40i, it doesn't list Adaptive M suspension when selecting the M Sport package. we have the option to add 2-axle self-leveling air suspension (not adaptive) for either xLine or M Sport packages.

when building out the xDr45e, it comes standard with 2-axle self-leveling air suspension whether we choose xLine or M Sport packages. FWIW, i just took delivery of the xDr45e w/M Sport package and it doesn't include Adaptive M suspension; my build list states "2-axle air suspension".
It clearly states in the ordering guide and well known fact in the G05 forum. It's true it's not specifically noted on BMWUSA, which is unfortunate.

xDrive40i when optioned with ZMP M Sport Package upgrades the base xDrive xLine suspension to 2VF Adaptive M Suspension. 2VR Air Suspension is an additional option.

xDrive45e comes standard with 2VR Air Suspension due to the batteries.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4657.50
      12-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
ah, is it correct to say the 2-axle air suspension is an "upgrade" to Adaptive M suspension?

what's the reason of it being standard on the xDr45e and no option to keep Adaptive M? is it safety (less harsh jolts/forces on the battery pack)? the heavier weight? i noticed it is somewhat "adaptive", too, when coupled w/navigation and relative speed, but probably not in the same manner as Adaptive M?

would i be correct that ride height can't be manually selected with Adaptive M?

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-24-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
Philinator
Rep
Drives: X5 (g05) 40i

I have a 2018 g05. With the latest update, and not having either the m suspension nor the air suspension from the factory, i could order the M suspension through a spftware upgrade.
So in the bmw connected drive you actually have the option to upgrade as it comes standard on all bmw'.
It came at a discounted price of eur 300 last month and immediately bought it. Took 5 minutes to activate.
Just a thought if you are hesitating now, you can always decide later on, at least here in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ah, is it correct to say the 2-axle air suspension is an "upgrade" to Adaptive M suspension?

what's the reason of it being standard on the xDr45e and no option to keep Adaptive M? is it safety (less harsh jolts/forces on the battery pack)? the heavier weight? i noticed it is somewhat "adaptive", too, when coupled w/navigation and relative speed, but probably not in the same manner as Adaptive M?

would i be correct that ride height can't be manually selected with Adaptive M?
Well 2VR isn't necessarily an "upgrade" to the Adaptive M suspension. It's merely an option if you want to prioritize ride comfort and adjustable ride height.

All USA X5 suspensions feature adaptive electronic damper control (EDC).

Adaptive M Suspension utilizes steel springs and shocks like the base suspension but tuned for sportier ride. Air Suspension utilizes air bellows and shocks with automatic speed dependent ride height but also a rocker switch to manually override ride height.

Primary function of the air suspension is to maintain a constant ride height or keep the vehicle leveled with passenger and cargo load. With the 45e battery weight in the rear, air suspension is used to balance- "suspend" the added rear weight. They could do it with steel springs but it would compromise ride quality and rear damping harshness with increased spring strength. Optioning 3rd row also adds air suspension on petrol engines.

BMW used rear only (1-axle) axle air suspension on prior generation X5s for 3rd. On the G05 it's been upgraded to 2-axles and adds more height adjustments, for example high 1 and high 2 heights for off-roading; sport level for sportier handling and damping and load level to load the rear cargo. There's also advanced features such as maintaining level in the event of a flat tire.

That's correct Adaptive M Suspension is fixed height.

Easiest way to thinking of BMW X5 suspensions as two components: software programming and hardware.

Software programming are the Driving Dynamics Control switches you see running along the Steptronic shifter: SPORT, COMFORT, ADAPTIVE and ECO Pro. DDC mode tells the EDC how the adaptive shocks to damping and adjust ride quality. It also effects other systems but can provide more info if required.

ADAPTIVE DDC program integrates the navigation and relative speed in addition to automatically balancing and adjust the ride damping between COMFORT and SPORT modes as needed, but it is comfort biased.

Hardware are the mechanical components of the suspension - springs, shocks, air bellows, EDC control and valves attached to each shock tower, roll bars etc.

Last edited by Auricom; 12-24-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4657.50
      12-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #20
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

When I was little, I had first experience air suspension in a Mercedes S clasd. To me at the time, it was magic. The car just glide over bump and potholes. When I test drive the G05 last year, the air suspension didn't seem to offer the same level of filter as my early memory. Therefore, I took the m sport suspension for better handling and long term durability reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

Let me get this straight, Does the adaptive M suspension automatically reacts to changing road conditions or driving style regardless of the selected settings?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
Let me get this straight, Does the adaptive M suspension automatically reacts to changing road conditions or driving style regardless of the selected settings?
I'm sure someone will correct if wrong but no, it does not automatically correct to road conditions or driving style (it does not learn how you drive). That said it will do some adjustment for cornering, braking etc.

Adaptive mode is comfort biased but will adjust the dampers based on how you are driving (winding roads, turns fast, etc.) and map data if nav is running.
Auricom4361.50
dll10.00