12-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #23
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galion View Post
Let me get this straight, Does the adaptive M suspension automatically reacts to changing road conditions or driving style regardless of the selected settings?
Don't read too much in "Adaptive" in Adaptive M suspension - it isn't predictive.

As TurtleBoy mentioned the suspension is COMFORT biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Adaptive mode is comfort biased but will adjust the dampers based on how you are driving (winding roads, turns fast, etc.) and map data if nav is running.
Driving around in COMFORT, Adaptive M Suspension is going to maintain comfort damping, unweighted steering feel, normal engine and transmission throttle response in whatever road condition you encounter.

I should add the other aspect of DDC which effect other X5 controls:

Name:  IMG_0301.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  101.3 KB

For example, pressing SPORT on the console effects the following in the X5:

Damping - sportier, stiffer ride damping
Steering- heavier steering
Engine - faster response
Transmission - hold gears longer in conjunction with engine

The following systems are also adjusted:
- Integral Active Steering (if optioned)
- Display in instrument cluster
- Cruise control

You can configure the above settings via iDrive under Configure SPORT INDIVIDUAL:

CAR > Settings > Driving Mode > SPORT INDIVIDUAL > configure your personal settings

Damping: Comfort / Sport
Steering: Comfort / Sport
Engine: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus
Transmission: Comfort / Sport / Sport Plus

Name:  IMG_5447.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  324.4 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 12-24-2020 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 10:37 AM   #24
PhillyDave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippityeg View Post
Last night I test drove two xDrive40i's back to back. One had the two axle air suspension and the other had the Adaptive M Suspension. I went in with an open mind to liking either one. My main concern going in was that the Adaptive M Suspension would not be comfortable enough. I drove both vehicles along the same route and they both had the same 22' wheels and the same comfort seats with massage and ventilation. I drove at highway speeds, on some decent roads and along some roads that had a ton of pot holes and were in pretty bad shape. To me, it felt that the Adaptive M suspension was actually the better suspension even from a comfort perspective. The air suspension did not feel more comfortable to me and it did have the sensation that others on the forum have mentioned that caused a feeling of sea sickness. I was surprised that the air suspension simply wasn't more comfortable to me. The drive over the bumps and potholes was more comfortable in the Adaptive M suspension. I alternated between comfort and sport and sport+ modes for both suspensions. The air suspension did tighten up significantly in sport+ and was more than stiff enough for my taste, however the comfort mode just wasn't more comfortable than the Adaptive M. It tended to float but not absorb impact as well as the Adaptive M. I think the springs of the Adaptive M make the SUV feel more connected to the road and simply provides a better and more comfortable ride. And by better, I don't mean the usual "sporty drive" that most refer to. It was simply better overall both for comfort and for sportiness. I don't think I would use sport mode very often since it is quite stiff, nor do I intend to race around corners to test the pitch and dive of the SUV, but for me the Adaptive M was better overall. And since the Adaptive M suspension is available on both xLine and Msport at the same price in Canada, it's the one I will choose.
Excellent, detailed review! I recently took delivery on a 21 X5 M50i. I got a number of options, but not the air suspension. I didn't even test drive the air, as it wasn't an option I saw value at the time of build. Looking back, I am wondering if I should have added this option. However, after reading your post I am confident I made the right decision. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #25
matt_320d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 640d GC M-Sport

Fascinating thread
I currently have a BMW 640d in M-sport trim with adapative dampers (allegedly).

I say allegedly, because the car is (in my view) way too hard.
I drive on english country roads. I've cracked two alloy wheels beyond repair.

i'm looking at switching to an X6 and a primary reason for that is for greater ruggedness and better ability on crap roads.

So I pretty much *assumed* I'd want air suspension right?

Then I read this thread - which contains probably the only true A/B comparison I've seen on an X5/X6 and prefers the springs and dampers set up??

Truly confused now as to which I should go for.

i've test driven an Air suspension X6 - it was a good deal softer - and I like that. I've not tried a springs and dampers one. - Is it different to the comparable set up in a 640d?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_320d View Post
Fascinating thread
I currently have a BMW 640d in M-sport trim with adapative dampers (allegedly).

I say allegedly, because the car is (in my view) way too hard.
I drive on english country roads. I've cracked two alloy wheels beyond repair.

i'm looking at switching to an X6 and a primary reason for that is for greater ruggedness and better ability on crap roads.

So I pretty much *assumed* I'd want air suspension right?

Then I read this thread - which contains probably the only true A/B comparison I've seen on an X5/X6 and prefers the springs and dampers set up??

Truly confused now as to which I should go for.

i've test driven an Air suspension X6 - it was a good deal softer - and I like that. I've not tried a springs and dampers one. - Is it different to the comparable set up in a 640d?
If you are looking for comfort on bad, or any for that matter, roads then Air Suspension would be the way to go. The nice thing about it is that if you would like it a little sportier at times you have that available also.
      08-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #27
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

I currently have an X5 F15 with 2VF (adaptive M) and rear axle air. Occasionally, the ride gets floaty in comfort and I just switch driving modes to "sport" which dampens the floaty feel a bit.

QUESTION FOR G05 owners with 2 axle air:
Wouldn't the X5 G05 2 axle air react the same in "sport mode"? And in "sport" mode, the ride height lowers a bit so wouldn't that help reduce the effects of float?
      08-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #28
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
I currently have an X5 F15 with 2VF (adaptive M) and rear axle air. Occasionally, the ride gets floaty in comfort and I just switch driving modes to "sport" which dampens the floaty feel a bit.

QUESTION FOR G05 owners with 2 axle air:
Wouldn't the X5 G05 2 axle air react the same in "sport mode"? And in "sport" mode, the ride height lowers a bit so wouldn't that help reduce the effects of float?
Correct previous gen F15 was available with rear single-axle air suspension in combo Adaptive.

The new 2VR 2-axle air suspension is a significant improvement over previous generations with sealed air strut units and system.

Yes, selecting Driving Dynamics SPORT mode lowers the air suspension ride height to Sport which is -20mm or -0.787" from Normal level and also affect other driving aspects like engine, transmission response etc.

Now, manually adjusting the air suspension from Normal to Sport ride height, DOES NOT change the Driving Dynamics mode. This allows you to let's say drive in Adaptive mode with Sport level ride height.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #29
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Correct previous gen F15 was available with rear single-axle air suspension in combo Adaptive.

The new 2VR 2-axle air suspension is a significant improvement over previous generations with sealed air strut units and system.

Yes, selecting Driving Dynamics SPORT mode lowers the air suspension ride height to Sport which is -20mm or -0.787" from Normal level and also affect other driving aspects like engine, transmission response etc.

Now, manually adjusting the air suspension from Normal to Sport ride height, DOES NOT change the Driving Dynamics mode. This allows you to let's say drive in Adaptive mode with Sport level ride height.
(borrowing your diagram, below, and annotating) SO to achieve both, G05 X5 with 2VR would require the DDC selector set at "sport" or preconfigured in Individual Mode to "sport" dampening full time while the height is only activated by selecting DDC "sport" on manually adjusting the toggle on the fly. Correct? Ideally, can G05 drivers have it firm and low all the time (without activating the DDC and height toggle every time the car starts up)? Thanks
Attached Images

08-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
( Ideally, can G05 drivers have it firm and low all the time (without activating the DDC and height toggle every time the car starts up)? Thanks
Yes, if you manually set it to the lower setting then it will stay there until you change modes. The exception to that is if you coded the default mode to be Adaptive (possible Eco), then the suspension will raise when you remote start, open a back door or open the tailgate.

Edit: By firm and low I'm assuming you are referring to just the height being lowered and not any adjustments to the DDC.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 08-03-2021 at 06:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #31
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

(borrowing your diagram, below, and annotating) SO to achieve both, G05 X5 with 2VR would require the DDC selector set at "sport" or preconfigured in Individual Mode to "sport" dampening full time while the height is only activated by selecting DDC "sport" on manually adjusting the toggle on the fly. Correct? Ideally, can G05 drivers have it firm and low all the time (without activating the DDC and height toggle every time the car starts up)? Thanks
If you have air suspension and want SPORT (firm) damping and Sport ride (low) height set DDC to:

SPORT, SPORT+, or SPORT INDIVIDUAL with damping set to SPORT

Any of the above 3 DDC modes with automatically adjust the air suspension to Sport level and provide Sport damping.

Manually adjusting the air suspension on it's own doesn't affect the DDC modes or damping and you're just adjusting the vehicle's ride height.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #32
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Air suspension for me on a SUV. I went with 21 inches wheel size + air suspension.

The M adaptive did not feel comfortable to me and I drove with different wheel sizes.
Just felt that air had the right feel in all settings.

For a more M feeling ride I have the M2C.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #33
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:
Adaptive M Suspension is always active and adjusts dampening based on Driving Dynamics Control - SPORT, SPORT INDIVIDUAL, COMFORT, ADAPTIVE, ECO PRO.

TLDR;
Not get too technical, think of DDC as the software program that tells the EDC (Electronic Damper Control) connected to each shock absorber - as the hardware - on how dampen the vehicle ride. Adaptive M suspension (consisting of steel springs/shocks, roll bars) is straightforward and nothing overly technical about it. If you had air suspension or M50i with Dynamic Handling Package then this would be a longer discussion.

Also Download BMW Driver's Guide App, search for Driving Dynamics Control. Win and avoids posts.
For those of you who don't know already, Auricom is a pseudonym. In his day job..he's head of BMW North America. Or, that's my guess anyhow, because his posts are always 110% good. Thanks for the download tip!
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      08-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #34
lv42day
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Hello Auricom.
I have "discovered" the Sport setting via the shifter, basically pull the shifter to the left and it changes the suspension and shift point completely, especially when taking corners!!!. Take a corner hard in Comfort and the front will bounce a little, but pull the shifter to the left and the car changes completely. Previous car was 2017 X6M, so I am used to the drive/handling in an M car. This X5 M50i with air suspension has the perfect blend of comfort (in Comfort mode) and when I want to "take" a corner, pull shifter to the left and you can enter/exit the corner as if you are on rails. It saves me having to take my eyes off the road and press the Sports button which has everything set to the max.
My question is does putting the car into Sports mode via the shifter tighten the body dynamics also, basically the same as pressing the Sports button??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #35
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv42day View Post
My question is does putting the car into Sports mode via the shifter tighten the body dynamics also, basically the same as pressing the Sports button??
Pretty sure I read on here somewhere that it only adjusts the transmission when you do that.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      08-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv42day View Post
Pretty sure I read on here somewhere that it only adjusts the transmission when you do that.
Ja, that is correct - affects transmission.

TL;DR version of the Steptronic Transmission modes - Drive, Sport and Manual

These modes ONLY affect the transmission.

One of the many links to discussion:

Confused about sport mode
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1773893

There's another one I'm locating that goes into additional transmission behavior scenarios.

Found it:

M Mode vs. S Mode vs. D Mode with Paddle Shifts https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1837152

Appreciate 1
john1200c238.50
      08-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #37
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

My take away from all the excellent information so far: If I want a G05 M Sport with the ability to ride lower AND have a sporty damper setting, it's 2 axle air. But alas, the current BMW configurator and 2022 DOG shows 2 axle air only available on the M50i (or the 45e). I suppose I could search for a CPO G05 40i, 2020-21, equipped with 2 axle air or just pony up for a M50i (which or course is a big upgrade). Any insights? Thanks
      08-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #38
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
My take away from all the excellent information so far: If I want a G05 M Sport with the ability to ride lower AND have a sporty damper setting, it's 2 axle air. But alas, the current BMW configurator and 2022 DOG shows 2 axle air only available on the M50i (or the 45e). I suppose I could search for a CPO G05 40i, 2020-21, equipped with 2 axle air or just pony up for a M50i (which or course is a big upgrade). Any insights? Thanks
If you aren’t in a rush then I would suggest holding off for a bit. The air suspension will hopefully come back as the supply chains normalize.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:11 PM   #39
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you aren’t in a rush then I would suggest holding off for a bit. The air suspension will hopefully come back as the supply chains normalize.
That's actually a good plan. This time next year would be my timeframe. I'll either order a new 2023 G05 X5 4.0i, assuming no other unfavorable changes, or look for a loaded CPO 4.0i with IAS or even an M50i equipped with IAS. And hopefully by that time, dealers will loosen up on discounting like they were in the past. Thanks!
      08-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
That's actually a good plan. This time next year would be my timeframe. I'll either order a new 2023 G05 X5 4.0i, assuming no other unfavorable changes, or look for a loaded CPO 4.0i with IAS or even an M50i equipped with IAS. And hopefully by that time, dealers will loosen up on discounting like they were in the past. Thanks!
Or even later in MY22. As an aside, it is a 40i - no period.
      08-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #41
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Adaptive vs Adaptive “M” (M Sport Pkg) suspension hardware

First off this is a great thread, very informative. After reading it, I went to Realoem and saw that the spring struts (shocks) part numbers are different between the two (X-Line and M Sport) suspensions. I cannot find the springs themselves on Realoem. My question is..what are the mechanical differences between the shocks/springs in the two suspensions? Just want to understand how they are different but am not asking about any electronic control differences, just the hardware itself. Anyone know for sure?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 02:59 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
First off this is a great thread, very informative. After reading it, I went to Realoem and saw that the spring struts (shocks) part numbers are different between the two (X-Line and M Sport) suspensions. I cannot find the springs themselves on Realoem. My question is..what are the mechanical differences between the shocks/springs in the two suspensions? Just want to understand how they are different but am not asking about any electronic control differences, just the hardware itself. Anyone know for sure?

The different parts you highlighted are for the Adaptive M Professional suspension. That is only available when DHP is optioned on the M50i.

The MSport package, and the standard on the M50i is the Adaptive M suspension.
Attached Images

08-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #43
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
The different parts you highlighted are for the Adaptive M Professional suspension. That is only available when DHP is optioned on the M50i.

The MSport package, and the standard on the M50i is the Adaptive M suspension.
Ok, right, what I posted was the professional because it did not list just the M Sport. So possibly the answer to my question is there is no mechanical difference in the suspension components between the X-Line and the M Sport . Its the 2VF that I would like to understand what the mechanical differences are in the suspension components, if there are any.

I called a dealer, they said the only diff is that when you have the Adaptive M Suspension, it locks the differential but when I started questioning that, their response fell apart

This is the path I took in Realoem. .. not sure why the professional showed since I did not choose the M50i, however, when pulling up the M50i in Realoem, the shocks are the same part number.

f I choose the X5 40i and not the X5 40iX, I still do not get an option that says...with M Sport, its either M Sport Prof or just the spring struts with VDC.

Attached Images

Last edited by Marty in NY; 08-06-2021 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Ok, right, what I posted was the professional because it did not list just the M Sport. So possibly the answer to my question is there is no mechanical difference in the suspension components between the X-Line and the M Sport . Its the 2VF that I would like to understand what the mechanical differences are in the suspension components, if there are any.
Yes, there is no hardware difference between xLine and MSport. The difference is the tuning of it.