BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #23
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

I have had both front and rear work fine for me. just this past Tuesday i was traveling on four lane road at around 50MPH and a car can from right side street rather fast before they stopped at intersection and I received big red warning in both heads-up and instrument cluster. It did not apply brake but it was well ahead of time to bring my attention to situation. I get rear warning all the time at my church parking lot because so many are leaving at same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #24
BRB-Prsch928S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
On my X7, the side that has the incoming vehicle will flash red on the idrive screen if you are not moving. If you start to back up while there's a car coming it'll beep and slam on the brakes.
Has worked well for me.
Is that with the 360 degree view activated? If I just have the backup camera activated, there is no visual warning (other than maybe seeing the vehicle on the screen if it's in the camera's view - no red flashing). Do I need to activate the 360 degree view? I'll have to try that.

I have the auto braking in reverse off, otherwise it tries to stop me from backing out of my tight garage. The auto braking is activated by the parking sensors, I presume. Isn't rear cross traffic alert activated by radar sensors, which presumably have a longer detection range than the parking sensors? I know that the RTCA has a different sounding warning than the backup sensors.

I know on my other vehicles, the RTCA would provide an audible alert for vehicles approaching even a 1/2 block away, regardless of whether I am moving or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #25
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB-Prsch928S View Post
Is that with the 360 degree view activated? If I just have the backup camera activated, there is no visual warning (other than maybe seeing the vehicle on the screen if it's in the camera's view - no red flashing). Do I need to activate the 360 degree view? I'll have to try that.

I have the auto braking in reverse off, otherwise it tries to stop me from backing out of my tight garage. The auto braking is activated by the parking sensors, I presume. Isn't rear cross traffic alert activated by radar sensors, which presumably have a longer detection range than the parking sensors? I know that the RTCA has a different sounding warning than the backup sensors.

I know on my other vehicles, the RTCA would provide an audible alert for vehicles approaching even a 1/2 block away, regardless of whether I am moving or not.
I didn't activate any specific view, just put the car in reverse. idrive shows the back camera on the left and the 360 degree view on the right of the screen.
It'll flash red on the side that has the incoming car. If I still try to back up it'll make a beep (similar to the beep that the car makes if I'm following a car too closely on the highway and they suddenly slow down and the car thinks I'm going to rear end the car in front). If I still don't react (within a fraction of a second) then it slams on the brakes.

Last edited by thenew3; 05-05-2022 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #26
BRB-Prsch928S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Quote:
I didn't activate any specific view, just put the car in reverse. idrive shows the back camera on the left and the 360 degree view on the right of the screen.
It'll flash red on the side that has the incoming car. If I still try to back up it'll make a beep (similar to the beep that the car makes if I'm following a car too closely on the highway and they sudden slow down and the car things I'm going to rear end the car in front). If I still don't react (within a fraction of a second) then it slams on the brakes.
Thanks. I don't have the split screen view turned on - I'll try that so I get the 360 degree view next to the backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 10:12 PM   #27
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
On my X7, the side that has the incoming vehicle will flash red on the idrive screen if you are not moving. If you start to back up while there's a car coming it'll beep and slam on the brakes.
Has worked well for me.
It doesn't for me and I have every safety feature enabled. About two months ago it was raining and I was backing out of a parking lot. A couple of people walked behind my vehicle while I was backing out and I got no audible or visual warning and no braking. The lady was mad and walked up to the passenger side window to cuss me out.

I never rely on the system and was actually looking on both sides in back of me moving my head left and right as well as looking at all the mirrors. Obviously they started to walk behind the car when I was looking at the other side. Kind of begs the question why they would continue walking behind me when they can clearly see that I'm not stopping because I don't see them.

A BMW fail in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:51 PM   #28
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A person isn't a great radar reflector, and their speed isn't great, either. It's not surprising that it did not detect them if you understand how radar works. They should have shown up on the cameras, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #29
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Saved my butt today as some jackwire was going like 30 mph in a parking lot (at the DMV of all places) as I was backing out of my parking space. This is the first time in a year of ownership that it triggered and I am glad it did....
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      07-24-2022, 01:26 AM   #30
Teichu72
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Saved my butt today as some jackwire was going like 30 mph in a parking lot (at the DMV of all places) as I was backing out of my parking space. This is the first time in a year of ownership that it triggered and I am glad it did....
Did the car slam the brake for you ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #31
Koenig1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
It doesn't for me and I have every safety feature enabled. About two months ago it was raining and I was backing out of a parking lot. A couple of people walked behind my vehicle while I was backing out and I got no audible or visual warning and no braking. The lady was mad and walked up to the passenger side window to cuss me out.

I never rely on the system and was actually looking on both sides in back of me moving my head left and right as well as looking at all the mirrors. Obviously they started to walk behind the car when I was looking at the other side. Kind of begs the question why they would continue walking behind me when they can clearly see that I'm not stopping because I don't see them.

A BMW fail in my opinion.
I had a similar situation at Costco. There's always that 5% that decide to run by your car(left > right... over the shoulder view is not as clear) as your reversing out! Well, just about took him out. No beeps, nothing? The car was brand new, so went to the dealership and complained. Their Service Manager and a tech preceded to verify my claim. After 30 mins of testing(SM trying to back over tech/different situations) the conclusion was.... "BMW has toned down the responsiveness to the sensors in the G05's!" They also added " when reversing, every time one is touching/activating the brake, the sensors must restart again once pedal is released!!!" After testing this insight myself, I tended to agree. We all agreed, POS! Even a low priced Hyundai has a much safer system. The sensors brake reacts when there is about 5>6" space.... hardly a safety net! Absolutely a FAIL!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 09:25 AM   #32
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig1 View Post
I had a similar situation at Costco. There's always that 5% that decide to run by your car(left > right... over the shoulder view is not as clear) as your reversing out! Well, just about took him out. No beeps, nothing? The car was brand new, so went to the dealership and complained. Their Service Manager and a tech preceded to verify my claim. After 30 mins of testing(SM trying to back over tech/different situations) the conclusion was.... "BMW has toned down the responsiveness to the sensors in the G05's!" They also added " when reversing, every time one is touching/activating the brake, the sensors must restart again once pedal is released!!!" After testing this insight myself, I tended to agree. We all agreed, POS! Even a low priced Hyundai has a much safer system. The sensors brake reacts when there is about 5>6" space.... hardly a safety net! Absolutely a FAIL!
Any improvement noticed with adjusting the sensitivity in idrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #33
Teichu72
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I dont think you can adjust sensitivity for cross traffic alert on idrive
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:29 AM   #34
RJC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

The cross traffic alert worked for a me a few times. Not sure if the car was supposed to brake for me (it didn't).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #35
Teichu72
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
The cross traffic alert worked for a me a few times. Not sure if the car was supposed to brake for me (it didn't).
I was wondering the same if the brake will automatically apply and i asked a person who did the rear cross traffic alert test on YouTube and he said yes , it will automatically apply the break when about to hit the car passby
Appreciate 1
RJC179.00
      07-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #36
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

we can blame BMW on this one also.
https://nypost.com/2022/07/23/doc-in...de%20the%20BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #37
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I filed a complaint for this issue with the NHTSA. It will take multiple accidents due to the failure of this safety feature before the government will do a damn thing about it. I would suggest that more people file a complaint so we can force US Government to force BMW to fix this garbage.

Here's a link for those that want to file a complaint. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #38
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Any chance it requires a combination of features to work as we want it? I wonder if these seemingly different menu options are interconnected.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #39
Teichu72
Rep

Quote:
Any chance it requires a combination of features to work as we want it? I wonder if these seemingly different menu options are interconnected.
I dont think you need to do anything as long as cross traffic alerts is tick
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Depends 9n how they define cross traffic. I could see it applying to traffic, but not driveway/parking lots. I could see those scenarios being governed under parking PDC. I have no clue, but the more I thought about it...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #41
Koenig1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Quote:
I don't think that would make much difference in the cross traffic alert being less than stellar! The car's cross traffic adjustment is basically setup at the engineers' level. As I stated earlier both Service Manager and tech played around for 30 mins! They 1st checked Idrive, then proceeded to try and run the tech over from different angles/movements... quite thorough! The distance being less than a foot before any emergency brake assist was less than inspiring! Rarely a sound from the sensor beep... Simply put.... the service manager got out, and suggested BMW has 'toned down' the sensitivity for the G05's. To me, and many others... it's a fail for BMW! Love the car, but something like that in Safety.... FAIL!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 11:27 AM   #42
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

The cross traffic safety on this car is a complete joke. It alerts you when its way too late and requires you to do very deep into an intersection. Forget about it working on people about to cross your car when its backing up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #43
e61it
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 545it

Absolutely correct on having to go deep into the intersection to get any alert.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #44
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It is totally worthless. That's why I suggest all of you who agree should file a complaint with the NHTSA. If they get a bunch of complaints they will investigate and possibly force BMW to make a change to their system implementation.

My dealer did see codes that indicated the cross traffic alert/intervention failed. However, they gave me the standard BMW line. "Do NOT rely on cross traffic alert and always visually make sure the area around your vehicle is clear before moving."

If enough people start filing complaints with the NHTSA there will be an investigation.
Appreciate 0