BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #45
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
It is totally worthless. That's why I suggest all of you who agree should file a complaint with the NHTSA. If they get a bunch of complaints they will investigate and possibly force BMW to make a change to their system implementation.

My dealer did see codes that indicated the cross traffic alert/intervention failed. However, they gave me the standard BMW line. "Do NOT rely on cross traffic alert and always visually make sure the area around your vehicle is clear before moving."

If enough people start filing complaints with the NHTSA there will be an investigation.
I think this is one of those features BMW likes to say they "offer" but doesnt really do anything.

Kind of like their Ventilated Seats. We all know damn well those seats dont work for shit, but they its a "feature" they offer.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
I think this is one of those features BMW likes to say they "offer" but doesnt really do anything.

Kind of like their Ventilated Seats. We all know damn well those seats dont work for shit, but they its a "feature" they offer.
I've used the ventilated seats on a trip on a hot day and they worked quite well. I got out of the car without a damp backside which was always the case with my X3. Same trip, same hot summer weather. My complaint is they are loud when set on high.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #47
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I've used the ventilated seats on a trip on a hot day and they worked quite well. I got out of the car without a damp backside which was always the case with my X3. Same trip, same hot summer weather. My complaint is they are loud when set on high.
I agree with you. After doing PCD last week and driving from Spartanburg to Nashville to NOLA to San Antonio they definitely made a difference. Just loud when on high, but turning up the music volume a little bit drowns it out. Even just driving locally in San Antonio they make a difference on these 100+ days.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #48
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Keep in mind, the seats are ventilated, not cooled.

I would like it if the cross-traffic stuff worked a bit better...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 02:46 PM   #49
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Keep in mind, the seats are ventilated, not cooled.

I would like it if the cross-traffic stuff worked a bit better...
I would like it if it worked AT ALL! For BMW to make the claim that their cars have these safety features is basically a lie. It doesn't work as intended.

Every other car manufacturer that has this same feature has implemented the feature so it works as designed. My 40K Mazda has this feature and it works flawlessly! If anyone/any thing comes within several feet of the sensors/cameras I get both visual and audible warnings whether or not the car is moving or not.

Everyone needs to file a complaint on this if they want BMW to fix it. Otherwise, it will never get fixed. We can all Bitch and Moan all we want but nothing will change until Governmental intervention forces BMW to change it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 03:47 PM   #50
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

My cross-traffic warning did work yesterday. It warned me of a car approaching from the right as I was backing up. It doesn't go off often as I do look when backing up. It is however better than my wife's Lexus which is too sensitive and annoying at times.

At this time I don't need to report to the Feds on any issues as I haven't hit anyone, or landed my X5 on a Volvo like the good Doc in NYC (maybe he needs to report to the Feds the issue of his "lane avoidance technology" on his new X5).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #51
Teichu72
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoda2nd View Post
My cross-traffic warning did work yesterday. It warned me of a car approaching from the right as I was backing up. It doesn't go off often as I do look when backing up. It is however better than my wife's Lexus which is too sensitive and annoying at times.

At this time I don't need to report to the Feds on any issues as I haven't hit anyone, or landed my X5 on a Volvo like the good Doc in NYC (maybe he needs to report to the Feds the issue of his "lane avoidance technology" on his new X5).
Did the car automatically slam the brake when you backing up ?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #52
ltoda2nd
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E90, 12 E70, 22 G05 45e

No, I applied the brakes after hearing the warning. I was looking to the left it was clear, then the warning, I apply brake, and looked to the right and saw the car (in turning the head to look to the right, i saw the red warning on the screen). Car went by, and I proceeded to backup again.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 07:09 PM   #53
Teichu72
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 / X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltoda2nd View Post
No, I applied the brakes after hearing the warning. I was looking to the left it was clear, then the warning, I apply brake, and looked to the right and saw the car (in turning the head to look to the right, i saw the red warning on the screen). Car went by, and I proceeded to backup again.
I see , just wondering if backing up it will apply the brake automatically when other car passing by .
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:58 AM   #54
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teichu72 View Post
I see , just wondering if backing up it will apply the brake automatically when other car passing by .
Mine does, I have no issues with the system works well but I still look when reversing out.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #55
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

My 45e won't let me back out of my garage! Seriously.

At a certain time of the morning the roofline of the garage casts a shadow on the driveway. On really sunny days (which in Idaho is almost every day this time of year) that shadow is very dark and well-defined compared to the rest of the driveway. When backing out I get the red light on the monitor, the warning alarm and, if I keep going, it brakes the car and will not move. I have to disengage the system to finish backing out.

All I can figure is the car thinks there's an object behind me and slams the brakes. I chuckle now but the first time it happened I was puzzled and a bit concerned.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:23 AM   #56
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
My 45e won't let me back out of my garage! Seriously.

At a certain time of the morning the roofline of the garage casts a shadow on the driveway. On really sunny days (which in Idaho is almost every day this time of year) that shadow is very dark and well-defined compared to the rest of the driveway. When backing out I get the red light on the monitor, the warning alarm and, if I keep going, it brakes the car and will not move. I have to disengage the system to finish backing out.

All I can figure is the car thinks there's an object behind me and slams the brakes. I chuckle now but the first time it happened I was puzzled and a bit concerned.
My wife's GTi beeps every time we back out of the garage yet the X3 I used to have never did that and the two garage bays are identical in every way. I guess it just comes down to how sensitive the PDC is and how far it throws the signal. Her car won't auto apply the brakes but when I drive it, I do and then remember what is causing it...gets me every time! That car has the best backup cam screen I've seen on any car, better than on my X5, which by the way, never beeps when backing out of the driveway
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #57
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Looks to me like the consensus is BMW has issues with this since it seems to be totally inconsistent across multiple owners. It needs to be fixed and needs to work the same across every car that has the same system installed. It clearly does not do this now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 12:22 AM   #58
kukula
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Finally, after over three months of ownership, my cross traffic alert went off for the first time yesterday lol. I was backing out of my driveway when a car passed at a higher than usual speed. The warning came off and it actually startled me since Inhave been used to it not working lol. I still find it to be lame. Like what I mentioned before my 2014 JGC warns me when an approaching car is half a block away.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 01:29 AM   #59
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benztir View Post
It's the one thing I miss from my Audi!

Get ready for BMW fans to come and say "it's the drivers responsibility etc etc" lol because it's always what I hear.

But at the end of the day, it's a feature I had and that I loved.

It's the drivers responsibility etc etc. I would never rely on a driving nanny to replace actually looking. I don't know about other manufacturers' systems, but my G05 is no where near good enough to rely on completely. I use it as an aid, not a replacement of actually paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #60
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Maybe it's a function of driver skills. It's been a long time since I lived in Germany, but basically, their laws and required demonstrated skills are stricter than those in the USA where the focus is on both knowing and adhering to some fairly strict ones. That can change your focus on what's needed and desirable.

For example, the written test is fairly comprehensive, lots of questions, and you are required to get a much higher grade than most states in the USA where it's 20-questions and 65% will pass. You must demonstrate a much higher level of driving skill to get your license, too.

My boss was out on a weekend, driving a leased German vehicle with German plates, so nothing to make him stand out as an American. On one curve, he touched the center line twice...he got two moving violations. They expect you to both know the rules, and to abide by them. You are expected to be in full control of the vehicle at all times. 95% of drivers in the USA would be getting moving violations if they enforced the rules on a regular basis, but overall, we'd probably be safer.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 04:40 PM   #61
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Maybe it's a function of driver skills. It's been a long time since I lived in Germany, but basically, their laws and required demonstrated skills are stricter than those in the USA where the focus is on both knowing and adhering to some fairly strict ones. That can change your focus on what's needed and desirable.

For example, the written test is fairly comprehensive, lots of questions, and you are required to get a much higher grade than most states in the USA where it's 20-questions and 65% will pass. You must demonstrate a much higher level of driving skill to get your license, too.

My boss was out on a weekend, driving a leased German vehicle with German plates, so nothing to make him stand out as an American. On one curve, he touched the center line twice...he got two moving violations. They expect you to both know the rules, and to abide by them. You are expected to be in full control of the vehicle at all times. 95% of drivers in the USA would be getting moving violations if they enforced the rules on a regular basis, but overall, we'd probably be safer.
You are absolutely correct! I've driven in Germany many times, lived in the UK and understand what it takes to take and pass a drivers test in both countries as well as a few others. My guess is 65-75% of US based drivers would fail. Heck, for that matter, I don't know anyone in the US who would think paying over $1K for their drivers license is in the realm of understanding. Problem is, all this automated drivers assistance tech is allowing the yet-to-be drivers or today's noobie's to underestimate real driving skills, just like when I chat with my son and whatever spelling and grammatical errors he produces on his phone is perfectly fine with him Oh wait, that's another topic
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 05:23 PM   #62
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I was in Germany as a government contractor. Most people did not pass the less comprehensive written test the first time to get their in-country license. The only time I had any issues there was during a summer when it seems the whole of Europe is on vacation and moving around. Driving is much less 'controlled' in places like Greece, Italy, Spain, and Portugal. Throw in the congestion of people trying to get to their vacation destination, and it can get messy.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:35 PM   #63
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
You are absolutely correct! I've driven in Germany many times, lived in the UK and understand what it takes to take and pass a drivers test in both countries as well as a few others. My guess is 65-75% of US based drivers would fail. Heck, for that matter, I don't know anyone in the US who would think paying over $1K for their drivers license is in the realm of understanding. Problem is, all this automated drivers assistance tech is allowing the yet-to-be drivers or today's noobie's to underestimate real driving skills, just like when I chat with my son and whatever spelling and grammatical errors he produces on his phone is perfectly fine with him Oh wait, that's another topic
I don't think 5% of the drivers here in the US on the road today could pass the written or driver's test here in the US let alone any other country.

I never, ever, ever, rely on these stupid safety features but it just pisses me off that these manufacturers claim their cars have these features but the freaking things don't even work. They shouldn't even be able to use the word "safety" when describing any of their features related to so called "Safety Enhancements/features".

Kid's these days don't even know what a freaking rear view/side view mirror is. They just look at the camera and rely solely on what they see in the camera. I watch them do it all the time backing up.

I don't use the damn cameras when I'm backing up. I rely on my mirrors and me turning my head back and forth to look over each shoulder when backing up. I only use the cameras to see how close I am to the curb or parking block in front or the rear of the car or to see if I'm centered in a parking space.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #64
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I don't think 5% of the drivers here in the US on the road today could pass the written or driver's test here in the US let alone any other country.
I took the three hour drivers course a few years back to get the measly discount on my insurance. My place of work was paying for it and it was an in-person classroom setting. I was surprised at what I learned since its been, well let's just say on a long time since I took my initial drivers test First off, many things have changed and secondly, it helped correct some of my bad habits and thirdly, I ended up feeling more confident behind the wheel, not as much as when I took the BMW Spartanburg driving course though.

Quote:
I never, ever, ever, rely on these stupid safety features but it just pisses me off that these manufacturers claim their cars have these features but the freaking things don't even work.
Their claims are not totally false, its just that they don't give enough details in an understandable way so we, the buying public, all have the same understanding of how they are supposed to work and their limitations. You would think that with a 400+ page manual, it would be more useful on these features, I don't find it so

Quote:
Kid's these days don't even know what a freaking rear view/side view mirror is.
Right, and we oldagers don't understand them. They can't type, use proper grammar or take the time to understand the ramifications of their actions, especially when it affects others. Yet, they all communicate with each other and seem to live a more careless life... Hmmmmm, well, I can see both sides of that.

Quote:
I don't use the damn cameras when I'm backing up. I rely on my mirrors and me turning my head back and forth to look over each shoulder when backing up. I only use the cameras to see how close I am to the curb or parking block in front or the rear of the car or to see if I'm centered in a parking space.
I like the new drivers assistance features, I don't and never will depend on them but am glad I bought them. I still turn my head to look out the rear or rear side windows but I do it in combination with the backup cam and PDC sensors, in other words, I use all the features that are at my disposal.

I "think" I'm finally mature enough now that when I see trouble on the highway, I stay clear and give them room to get into trouble without involving me
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 09:51 PM   #65
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post

Does anyone know if the backup camera wide/panoramic view can be enabled by coding like the trailer hitch close up view if I don’t have parking assist plus? Or is it a completely different backup camera in PAP? The angle of the backup camera is not wide enough to get a good view of the sides.

Isn’t the same rear radar for blind spot also used for rear cross traffic? Can the blind spot monitor be coded to activate when car is standstill or off?

Ventilated seats some suck away hot air and some blow cool air. BMW vent seats only suck away hot air so it seems not as effective as ACed seats. In that sense might just get one of those small 2” diameter computer fans and plug it in
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:30 PM   #66
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig1 View Post
I don't think that would make much difference in the cross traffic alert being less than stellar! The car's cross traffic adjustment is basically setup at the engineers' level. As I stated earlier both Service Manager and tech played around for 30 mins! They 1st checked Idrive, then proceeded to try and run the tech over from different angles/movements... quite thorough! The distance being less than a foot before any emergency brake assist was less than inspiring! Rarely a sound from the sensor beep... Simply put.... the service manager got out, and suggested BMW has 'toned down' the sensitivity for the G05's. To me, and many others... it's a fail for BMW! Love the car, but something like that in Safety.... FAIL!
Is there a way in Esys to configure Early/Med/Late audible warning for PDC and cross traffic? The parameter must be defined somewhere, and the cross traffic uses the same radars as blind spot
Appreciate 0