BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2023, 10:36 PM   #67
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I would like it if it worked AT ALL! For BMW to make the claim that their cars have these safety features is basically a lie. It doesn't work as intended.

Every other car manufacturer that has this same feature has implemented the feature so it works as designed. My 40K Mazda has this feature and it works flawlessly! If anyone/any thing comes within several feet of the sensors/cameras I get both visual and audible warnings whether or not the car is moving or not.

Everyone needs to file a complaint on this if they want BMW to fix it. Otherwise, it will never get fixed. We can all Bitch and Moan all we want but nothing will change until Governmental intervention forces BMW to change it.
I decided not to get $500 ventilated seats option from factory when I can just install two $5 computer fans at the bottom edge of the seats and have them blow AC from the vent to my lower back. So I guess it and heated seats are easy to add aftermarket

The cross traffic and PDC sensitivity is a lot harder to change than adding some little fans to make the seats ventilated. For example, the PDC audio alert sounds sooner in the rear than the front, even though the sensors are the same, so there must be a software flag that controls at what distance or speed the audible alerts will sound?

Though if that doesn’t work, I heard someone is making an ambient lighting kit that integrates with driver assist. Imagine cross traffic alert flashes your ambient light on the left or right into bright red, that will surely get your attention immediately. Or when you’re about the crash into something, flash ambient light red

Last edited by thepianist1; 08-02-2023 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:16 PM   #68
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepianist1 View Post
I decided not to get $500 ventilated seats option from factory when I can just install two $5 computer fans at the bottom edge of the seats and have them blow AC from the vent to my lower back. So I guess it and heated seats are easy to add aftermarket
Please explain in more detail how you did this. What size fans, where exactly did you place them and how do you power them? This could be a fun little mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 11:11 AM   #69
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Please explain in more detail how you did this. What size fans, where exactly did you place them and how do you power them? This could be a fun little mod.
2" black computer fans that have the red/black ground wire that you can plug into a 12V or the USB-C ports, I took a thin metal coat hanger, wrapped it using faux leather, molded the hanger into shape to poke the hanger around the holes of the fan, then wrapped around the seatbelt holder beside the center console, and did the same on the passenger side. Or probably use 3M tape to attach it to somewhere on the seat. I might add a switch on the wire and attach them beside the seat controls
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #70
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I did similar hack for previous road trip for my infant daughter who in rear facing bucket rear. None of the vent reaches her, so I went to Home Depot, bought a plastic dryer “slinky” duct, tape it b-pillar vent, route up, Velcro strap to roof handle, and let it drape down about 6”, so cold AC air can reach her. 😂. Not my best DIY project, but in a pitch, keep her cool.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 01:24 AM   #71
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Back into parking spaces, people. Back into driveways. You generally have much better visibility pulling out into roads or into parking lot aisles than you do backing out. By comparison, parking spaces and driveways are small, easy to clear as you roll up to them, and easy to back into. But then, I learned how parallel park in a full-size mid-70s Sedan….. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 04:43 PM   #72
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, while rarely enforced, in at least some places, it's illegal to back out of a driveway. IMHO, it's a very good plan to build a turn-around in the driveway so you can avoid backing out into traffic.

What the X5 has is best used in a parking lot where the speeds are low as the coverage areas as shown in the user's manual are quite short.
Appreciate 0