BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
Unfortunately gas tanks are not designed to keep fuel from degrading. They are designed to handle ethanol corrosivity. Any gas will go bad. Per JD Powers pure gas in 3 to 6 months, ethanol mix in 1 to 3 months. Hybrid owners need to use the engine and change fuel at least every three months.
It is a specially designed gas tank for the purposes of being a hybrid and from what I have seen that has to do with keeping the fuel viable over long periods of time.
Swappy531.50
      04-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTomH View Post
I was reading the 450 page manual you gave me the link to. There is a section on Memory Parking. If I'm understanding correctly, I can carefully park my new car in my tight garage and hit the memory function and I will be able to repeat that close parking maneuver over and over. Do you know if this feature is available to U.S. models. I have the Parking Assist Package.
I don't remember seeing anyone post that they have tried it but I believe it is available in the US. Hopefully someone that has received theirs will chime in.
      04-24-2023, 08:55 PM   #25
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately gas tanks are not designed to keep fuel from degrading. They are designed to handle ethanol corrosivity. Any gas will go bad. Per JD Powers pure gas in 3 to 6 months, ethanol mix in 1 to 3 months. Hybrid owners need to use the engine and change fuel at least every three months.
BMW PHEV do not have traditional fuel tanks. they are pressurized and sealed to keep outside air from reacting with the ethanol in the fuel. (when ethanol absorbs moisture in the air, it destabilizes the fuel.) due to BMW’s design, ethanol-based fuel is stable longer and doesn’t require reminder algorithms to ‘use up the old fuel before it goes bad’ as do other hybrid manufacturers.
Appreciate 3
volodp198.00
Swappy531.50
      04-25-2023, 12:45 AM   #26
rabbit1986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3, 2016 D3 biturbo

So, to be sure the break period is done completely you should drive it in ice only ? Otherwise how will you know you reached the break in mileage ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 12:59 AM   #27
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
BMW PHEV do not have traditional fuel tanks. they are pressurized and sealed to keep outside air from reacting with the ethanol in the fuel. (when ethanol absorbs moisture in the air, it destabilizes the fuel.) due to BMW’s design, ethanol-based fuel is stable longer and doesn’t require reminder algorithms to ‘use up the old fuel before it goes bad’ as do other hybrid manufacturers.
The pressurization also keeps the lighter parts of the fuel from evaporating as they have a "vapor pressure" where they will start vaporizing below but at some point enough has vaporized to increase the pressure up to a point where no more can vaporize. Can be thought of like soda turning stale in open containers but fresh in closed ones, although the principle isn't exactly the same.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      04-25-2023, 06:52 AM   #28
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit1986 View Post
So, to be sure the break period is done completely you should drive it in ice only ? Otherwise how will you know you reached the break in mileage ?
I think you can see the breakdown of total mileage by ICE/EV
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 07:35 AM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit1986 View Post
go into Trip Data to see ICE miles versus electric motor miles (ICE/total = white, electric = blue)

you can also refer to the trip statistics in the My Trips section of the MyBMW app where ICE miles are labeled “without eDrive”
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:08 AM   #30
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
That is not why the tanks are pressurized. In a normal ICE the fuel vapors are burned continuously. In a hybrid a pressurized tank is used to control the vapors. Other hybrids do this too, eg Honda Insight. You can find this discussed on other bimmerpost threads. Ethanol fuel may last longer as a side effect, but it is smarter to burn most of a tank every couple of months
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #31
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is not why the tanks are pressurized. In a normal ICE the fuel vapors are burned continuously. In a hybrid a pressurized tank is used to control the vapors. Other hybrids do this too, eg Honda Insight. You can find this discussed on other bimmerpost threads. Ethanol fuel may last longer as a side effect, but it is smarter to burn most of a tank every couple of months
SwissBeemer beat ya’ to it, and while I already knew this, I didn’t want to get into it (though I certainly could with my physics background).

nothing wrong with being conservative with the fuel in your tank, but you’re likely overdoing it by letting ‘old school thought’ get in the way of new technology. wouldn’t you think if fuel getting stale within a few months were an issue with its current design, then the BMW engineers would have addressed this with additional mitigation processes? yet, none exist… hmmm
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      04-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #32
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SwissBeemer beat ya’ to it, and while I already knew this, I didn’t want to write an anthology.

nothing wrong with being conservative with the fuel in your tank, but you’re likely overdoing it by letting ‘old school thought’ get in the way of new technology. wouldn’t you think if fuel getting stale within a few months were an issue with its current design, then the BMW engineers would have addressed this with additional mitigation processes? yet, none exist… hmmm
Why mitigate if it isn’t a problem during the warranty period?

hmmmmm

https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2022...zed-Fuel-Tank/
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #33
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Why mitigate if it isn’t a problem during the warranty period?

hmmmmm

https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2022...zed-Fuel-Tank/
seems you don’t understand the purpose of the system since it doesn't deter you from using up your fuel every 2-3 months. the purpose of said system in hybrid vehicles is so you don't have to. hmmmmm

“Why mitigate if it isn’t a problem during the warranty period?” so it’s ok for a problem to occur outside the warranty period, though? processes to mitigate problems should be in place regardless of vehicle warranty status! SMH

warranty or not, nothing worse than a brand new vehicle plagued with issues.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      04-25-2023, 02:25 PM   #34
bbari
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
BMW  [0.00]
Someone made a comment that every battery has a life cycle (number of times it can be charged) and because I'll be charging 50E every second day, it will achieve that number quicker than a full EV likes of IX because I'll charging that every second week. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:50 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

A cycle is from zero to full. A cycle from 90-100% is 1/10th of a cycle. Heat is a part of it, and the last 10-20% of a charge is done slower, so less heat. BMW doesn't let you use the full capacity of the battery, so one apparent cycle is more like 80% of one. On something like the iX where you might be using a CCS (high voltage DC) charger, heat is even more of an issue, so that's why they often list a charge to 80% as that's most economical in time, since that last 20% can take nearly as along as the first 80%. A modern BMW is not your average cell phone...the logic and temperature management is much more sophisticated.
Appreciate 2
bbari23.00
volodp198.00
      06-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #36
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For hybrids, it is best to get 500 miles on the engine before using max acceleration. Put the car in sport mode and get it overwith quickly.
how about we speak BMW-ese, not just passing along recommendations from some unknown hybrid you read on the internet? the 50e manual states 1200 miles.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #37
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
how about we speak BMW-ese, not just passing along recommendations from some unknown hybrid you read on the internet? the 50e manual states 1200 miles.
The manual says 1200 miles and does not say with or without ICE having been run even 1 revolution.

My recommendation of at least 500 miles on the ICE is appropriate as well as 1200 miles total. The engine should not be floored with fewer miles on the ICE.

Of course to be safer, run 1200 miles on ICE, and then 1200 on the electric motors before flooring it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 07:10 PM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The manual says 1200 miles and does not say with or without ICE having been run even 1 revolution.

My recommendation of at least 500 miles on the ICE is appropriate as well as 1200 miles total. The engine should not be floored with fewer miles on the ICE.

Of course to be safer, run 1200 miles on ICE, and then 1200 on the electric motors before flooring it.
the break-in applies to the ICE, not electric motor. the manual states limits on both rpm (4500) and speed (100mph), none of which apply to the electric motor. (there’s no gauge to see the rpm of the electric motor so we can’t ‘limit’ it, and Electric mode caps at 84mph.)

I’m inclined to trust BMW engineer’s recommendations over your ‘appropriate’ recommendations.
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2023, 08:52 PM   #39
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
the break-in applies to the ICE, not electric motor. the manual states limits on both rpm (4500) and speed (100mph), none of which apply to the electric motor. (there’s no gauge to see the rpm of the electric motor so we can’t ‘limit’ it, and Electric mode caps at 84mph.)

I inclined to trust BMW engineer’s recommendations over your ‘appropriate’ recommendations.
lol No one thinks 1200 miles applies to just ICE operation as an owner has no way of knowing in the 50e how many miles were ICE. Further, the electric motors need breakin just like all other rotating parts. It is entirely possible to go 10k miles with zero ICE miles. I highly doubt owners wait to floor it if the odometer shows more than 1200.

Also, those words are for every BMW, not just hybrids which really need a more definitive breakin.

My recommendation of at least 500 miles ICE in combination with 1200 miles total before full acceleration is very appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 09:38 PM   #40
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol No one thinks 1200 miles applies to just ICE operation as an owner has no way of knowing in the 50e how many miles were ICE. Further, the electric motors need breakin just like all other rotating parts. It is entirely possible to go 10k miles with zero ICE miles. I highly doubt owners wait to floor it if the odometer shows more than 1200.

Also, those words are for every BMW, not just hybrids which really need a more definitive breakin.

My recommendation of at least 500 miles ICE in combination with 1200 miles total before full acceleration is very appropriate.
the verbage for PHEV break-in is exactly the same as ICE-only vehicles which is further corroboration that break-in refers to the ICE portion of the PHEV there’s nothing more that needs defining.

uhhhh, one can track ICE miles via the Trip Data. if not, why would you recommend putting it in Sport to speed up break-in and cite your recommendation of 500 ICE miles if one can’t track them?!

again I ask on what basis do you feel your “recommendation is appropriate” that it trumps BMW engineers who know this vehicle better than you? are we to just ignore the manual and come here to ask your recommendation on… let’s say the best way to position the side mirrors or the best driving mode to use on a trip to get some ice cream?

this forum is where we come to learn and educate, and it’s ok to scrutinize everything we read, but you need to back it up with some credible source or evidence, not just what you feel is appropriate. I must point out you’ve posted several comments that show you don’t understand this vehicle or the technology behind it, so you’re not really holding a candle to credibility.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2023, 09:49 PM   #41
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
l Further, the electric motors need breakin just like all other rotating parts. .
The electric motors should require no break-in period as described in many articles/manuals about EV's. However, for the iX Drive System, BMW recommends driving restrained for the first 300 miles avoiding full throttle.
      06-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #42
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
l Further, the electric motors need breakin just like all other rotating parts. .
The electric motors should require no break-in period as described in many articles/manuals about EV's. However, for the iX Drive System, BMW recommends driving restrained for the first 300 miles avoiding full throttle.
thanks for pointing this out.

DaveDBD, please don’t confuse the iX break-in recommendation with your 540i xDrive (it’s not 540ix BTW. BMW has discontinued that moniker.)
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2023, 10:28 PM   #43
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Please describe how the 50e can track ICE only miles.

The ONLY way I know of is to run in Sport for all miles until broken in. Thus why I recommended that mode.

I guarantee very few if any owner puts 1200 ICE miles on before full throttle application. Thus my at least 500 mile recommendation based on real world 99.9% usage.

But as always with any advice, use it or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 10:51 PM   #44
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

And sooooo sorry for using ix instead of i xdrive. The difference is huge I know.
Appreciate 0