BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2023, 09:35 PM   #23
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
i lock the door nearly all the time touching the rear door handle on my 45e, though i'm sure i would adjust if i had the 50e
The point is why do we have to adjust when BMW unexpectedly removes features?

I ordered a 50e unaware of the multiple deletions of useful features from the 45e. And I keep finding more as time goes on as noted at the start of this thread. Never in my BMW buying since 2006 has any vehicle had less features in the newer model year until the 50e.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:49 PM   #24
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post

I ordered a 50e unaware of the multiple deletions of useful features from the 45e. And I keep finding more as time goes on as noted at the start of this thread. Never in my BMW buying since 2006 has any vehicle had less features in the newer model year until the 50e.
You get the hand free self-driving at 80mph, this is a huge improvement than previous 40mph limitation, make it comparable with other level 2 self-driving cars.

The new dash, new interiors are at least not worse than before (for me it is a huge improvement), and even if it is not an improvement, if LCI doesn't change interior at all, many of us will definitely complain more.

In general, I don't think any where is cheapening, don't forget lots of earlier G05 only has 19 wheels (very basic) but now 20 is standard.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
      07-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #25
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post

Not sure why you changed the quote to be mine rather than nZtiZia's. You can ask him because based on past experience you either won't read or understand my explanation.
Attached Images

07-19-2023, 10:59 PM   #26
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Following distance, for maximum safety, is at least 2-second gap behind the vehicle ahead. Now, I realize few people abide by that, but at say 60-mph, that's 172'. That spacing allows you to react to what's happening in front of you without risking the jerk on your bumper from slamming into you. And, yes, I also realize that there will be people that will decide to pull into that space, which is annoying, and potentially dangerous if something then causes everyone to need to slow down. It also gives you a chance to see and respond to something that might be in the roadway, such as debris, or a pothole. It also allows you to drive more steadily as you have more time to gradually adjust your speed to the traffic rather than having to be more abrupt, which is more comfortable for everyone involved, and actually good for your tires and brakes and fuel economy.

As was mentioned, the distance scale is a relative thing based on conditions, one of which is speed.

Some of the 'omissions' are still the result of supply chain issues.
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50
      07-20-2023, 12:31 AM   #27
skipaway
Rep
Drives: x5

Removing the capability of having the adaptive control to follow cars too close is adding a safety feature. Kind of like how adding the safety capability to prevent driving too fast is removing the capability to speeding.

I think gradually all of these features will go toward the safer side over time. Driving is slowly becoming an annoyance people try to avoid. Loving to drive is becoming an old school thing.
Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
TXPearl53.00
      07-20-2023, 12:52 AM   #28
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Although I don't necessary share the same feeling as Dave, but please also don't take BMW Stockholm syndrome. The removal of cruise control distant has absolutely nothing to do with BMW concerning your safety. Amount all the possible reasons for such as change, your isn't even on the list. Let's be honestly to ourselves. Lack of such a setting does NOT make anything more safe or unsafe. zero relationship
Heavyd865.00
tooloud10766.50
      07-20-2023, 06:39 AM   #29
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
They aren't car lengths, or any specific lengths for that matter. The distances are set depending on your speed. In other words the closest setting will result in your vehicle being closer to the vehicle in front of you when you are traveling 30mph than if you were traveling 75mph.
Got it. At 55 one bar represents a car length at speed maybe to brake safely. I’d like slightly closer. But maybe that LCI is better now…
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:34 AM   #30
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
They aren't car lengths, or any specific lengths for that matter. The distances are set depending on your speed. In other words the closest setting will result in your vehicle being closer to the vehicle in front of you when you are traveling 30mph than if you were traveling 75mph.
Got it. At 55 one bar represents a car length at speed maybe to brake safely. I’d like slightly closer. But maybe that LCI is better now…
not at all. one bar isn’t necessarily one car length at 55mph or any arbitrary speed. that’s what he’s saying: it’s a ‘safe’ distance calculated by the engineers where this distance varies by speed (the faster the speed, the longer the distance).

while using ‘car length’ is a convenient measurement because we all know what that is, it’s just an assumption to say one bar is equal to one car length at 55mph. if it was, that’s too close IMO. in fact, I recently observed one bar is greater than one car length at 55mph during my road trip a few weeks ago
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 08:08 AM   #31
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why you changed the quote to be mine rather than nZtiZia's. You can ask him because based on past experience you either won't read or understand my explanation.
Wasn’t intentional. Artifact of hitting quote more than once. So sorry to attribute a thought to you.
Appreciate 3
BMPHIL630.50
LDT1539.50
volodp198.00
      07-20-2023, 11:05 AM   #32
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Regardless, i certainly wouldn't consider any of these discussed points cheapening the product, which was the original point. IMO, its just a evolution of technology and in the end, some old features or capabilities become redundant.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #33
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Regardless, i certainly wouldn't consider any of these discussed points cheapening the product, which was the original point. IMO, its just a evolution of technology and in the end, some old features or capabilities become redundant.
Confused as to how not being able to access car from rear doors could be called "old feature or capability" and certainly not an evolution of technology!!
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-20-2023, 03:25 PM   #34
skipaway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Although I don't necessary share the same feeling as Dave, but please also don't take BMW Stockholm syndrome. The removal of cruise control distant has absolutely nothing to do with BMW concerning your safety. Amount all the possible reasons for such as change, your isn't even on the list. Let's be honestly to ourselves. Lack of such a setting does NOT make anything more safe or unsafe. zero relationship
It wasn't removal of cruise control distance. It's a change in cruise control distance options.

It's not "lack of such a setting". It's the setting options changed from 1/2/3/4 to close/medium/far.

The settings are just an input to an algorithm. It surely impacts how safe the car can be if we combined it with the algorithm considerations. Not sure why you think there is zero relationship.
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-20-2023, 03:33 PM   #35
skipaway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
not at all. one bar isn’t necessarily one car length at 55mph or any arbitrary speed. that’s what he’s saying: it’s a ‘safe’ distance calculated by the engineers where this distance varies by speed (the faster the speed, the longer the distance).

while using ‘car length’ is a convenient measurement because we all know what that is, it’s just an assumption to say one bar is equal to one car length at 55mph. if it was, that’s too close IMO. in fact, I recently observed one bar is greater than one car length at 55mph during my road trip a few weeks ago
Yes, how modern cars work is complicated and just appear intuitive. When you step on the gas/turn your wheel/press a button, it has not been a simple mechanism where your physical action trigger some mechanical events anymore. It's now all about your input going through chip calculations with car company set algorithms to create a false sense of full control. In reality, your inputs are just demands and recommendations that'd be taken into consideration by the car. You can't open the window if the chip algorithm doesn't want you to.

"Car length" in this regard is just a way for engineers to dumb the concept of their algorithm down enough for people to understand it. It's by no mean a mechanism where they strictly decide distance by car length, if not for the simple fact that it'd be stupid to always stay at the same distance as the car in front of you speed up or slow down.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #36
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post

Confused as to how not being able to access car from rear doors could be called "old feature or capability" and certainly not an evolution of technology!!
Yeah, it is for sure some material saving but I can see some new things put in LCI too, not a deal breaker at all.

I guess BMW might want to push customers to use comfort access auto-unlock features instead of having to touch the door handle at all.

When you approach, the welcome light automatically turned on and all doors are unlocked automatically without even touch it.

However, I have to disable it because parking in my garage too near to my kitchen but have to wait for 8.5 to get the geo fence.

But I have auto-lock feature turned on, which is comparable with a tesla, I just need to slam the door and leave every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:17 PM   #37
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Congrats on living where it is safe to use auto unlock all doors on approach or at end of trip.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #38
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post

Touchless entry makes having the sensors on the door handles redundant for unlocking/locking.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 08:39 PM   #39
Bmwx5z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Random question, is there a pin to drive option on the x5. I have a Tesla and appreciate it, requires entering a pin on the screen to put it into drive. Another level of security to prevent car from being stolen.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:08 PM   #40
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Until someone sees a spot , cuts you off and your adaptive brakes. Making the person hit you in the rear. It’s flawed.

Also don’t be so picky when people discuss things. You know what I’m saying here. Just roll with the conversation. You might find more pleasure in just discussing things. Instead of nit picking about 20 feet and your definition of a car length. Just flow with approximations. People are so exacting on messages. You proved my point too because you know what I’m trying to say.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #41
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Until someone sees a spot , cuts you off and your adaptive brakes. Making the person hit you in the rear. It’s flawed.

Also don’t be so picky when people discuss things. You know what I’m saying here. Just roll with the conversation. You might find more pleasure in just discussing things. Instead of nit picking about 20 feet and your definition of a car length. Just flow with approximations. People are so exacting on messages. You proved my point too because you know what I’m trying to say.
1) where exactly is the flaw? before adaptive cruise control was even a thing, people still found the opening and cut you off, but instead of the vehicle braking on its own, the driver did, AND the person still hit you in the rear.

2) instead of “trying to say” something, say it!
Appreciate 1
volodp198.00
      07-21-2023, 08:58 AM   #42
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
1) where exactly is the flaw? before adaptive cruise control was even a thing, people still found the opening and cut you off, but instead of the vehicle braking on its own, the driver did, AND the person still hit you in the rear.

2) instead of “trying to say” something, say it!
- it leaves you really far behind a car- it gives you the impression you’re not keeping up with basic traffic if you choose to sit in the passing lane. Tesla for example is better and I think it’s because their camera sees the entire picture. Verses pure sonar on the BMW. Tesla has its eye on the maneuvers of other cars in other lanes of travel.

- you need to relax and be less exacting on your conversation. It comes across a bit rude and condescending. There ya go “I said it”.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 11:11 AM   #43
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

- you need to relax and be less exacting on your conversation.
thanks doctor!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 11:55 AM   #44
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
Yeah, it is for sure some material saving but I can see some new things put in LCI too, not a deal breaker at all.

I guess BMW might want to push customers to use comfort access auto-unlock features instead of having to touch the door handle at all.

When you approach, the welcome light automatically turned on and all doors are unlocked automatically without even touch it.

However, I have to disable it because parking in my garage too near to my kitchen but have to wait for 8.5 to get the geo fence.

But I have auto-lock feature turned on, which is comparable with a tesla, I just need to slam the door and leave every time.
What do you mean with geo fence in 8.5.
Appreciate 0