BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-31-2023, 10:29 AM   #23
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Is this only in the newer or specific models? We have a 19' 40i and dont have this issue. I leave the car running for the kids and wife all the time while i run to pick something up. It does shut off after 15 or 20 mins
The 19 model didn't have a 48 volt battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 01:56 PM   #24
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaArthur View Post
Hey,

I have a 2023 X5 E45

I don't want the car turning off until I hit the "off" button.

I have my wife and kid in the car and I need to hop out to pick up food or dry cleaning or whatever. But the moment I open the door, the car shuts off the engine and shuts off the A/C.

I don't want it turning off just because I open the door - I don't want it turning off at all. And I even found a check box in settings that's supposed to stop it from shutting off when I open the door but that doesn't seem to work.

BTW - I drive exclusively in Sports Mode.

Any advice?

Can I ask why you want to do this?

I ask because (as others have pointed out) as soon as the car is turned off, you have the "precondition now option" which allows you to exit the vehicle and keep the HVAC and stereo running while you are gone. What incremental value do (would) you get from having the ICE running?

Our use cases could not be more different, so maybe I am just missing your point. You say you keep the thing in Sport; maybe you never charge the battery? I use mine in electric 75% of the time, and hybrid pretty much the rest of the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:31 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With multiple models and model years, it can get confusing about what may work and what may not!

Just a thought, there are places around the world where leaving a vehicle idling is illegal (including some states and cities), so that may also be one reason why BMW chose to implement this the way they did.

The only X5 that can precondition with full functionality is the PHEV, as all HVAC is electrically driven...have enough HVB capacity, and you can activate it. Forcing the ICE to run can power the belt driven compressor, but that's not always possible as currently implemented.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 03:29 AM   #26
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
I know it sucks that we have to do such steps. I personally think bmw messed up here. You will hear true bmw fanboys tell you this is better. Bmw does it for your safety 😂
It's funny that at the same time we have a very extensive thread on here where people complain about the car rolling away after getting out without shutting the car off first.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:02 AM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
It's funny that at the same time we have a very extensive thread on here where people complain about the car rolling away after getting out without shutting the car off first.
If you re read that thread, that happens if someone put the car in netrual, then shut off the car to causing the car to roll. It is about the Neutral, completely not about not shutting the car off or not, or opening the door
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:38 AM   #28
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
If you re read that thread, that happens if someone put the car in netrual, then shut off the car to causing the car to roll. It is about the Neutral, completely not about not shutting the car off or not, or opening the door
Exactly, and in that regard the X5 works just like almost every other car.
      08-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #29
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
If you read that thread you'd know that I've commented plenty in there, hence must have read it myself. You will find plenty of people in there being adamant that they didn't put it in N as well.

Honestly it's a very bad idea to have an electric car not shut off when opening the drivers door and there would be tons of people on here complaining how they got run over by their own car if it wouldn't. And there is a simple workaround: Preconditioning.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 10:52 AM   #30
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you read that thread you'd know that I've commented plenty in there, hence must have read it myself. You will find plenty of people in there being adamant that they didn't put it in N as well.

Honestly it's a very bad idea to have an electric car not shut off when opening the drivers door and there would be tons of people on here complaining how they got run over by their own car if it wouldn't. And there is a simple workaround: Preconditioning.
I test it myself. If the car is D or P, the car will out itself in P however it gets shut off. Hitting the bottom or opening the door. Please test this yourself. If the car is in N, then it won’t put itself park, even if the car is shut off by anyway. So opening the door shut off car doesn’t NOT solve this problem. With 45e, the car shut off with door open, is still subject to the same problem
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #31
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

I generally do this for the climate control - but I discovered I can just hit the climate button immediately after the car shuts off and the AC will turn right back on.
Appreciate 1
cellarrat517.00
      08-02-2023, 12:28 PM   #32
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I generally do this for the climate control - but I discovered I can just hit the climate button immediately after the car shuts off and the AC will turn right back on.
yeah I am still trying to figure out the problem people are trying to solve. Not saying there isn't one; just that I am not getting it. Turn it off, click precondition, go about my business.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 12:56 PM   #33
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
yeah I am still trying to figure out the problem people are trying to solve. Not saying there isn't one; just that I am not getting it. Turn it off, click precondition, go about my business.
It is a convenience related topics. It is not a deal breaker, but I also don't see why it needs to be there. For all the comments about this is how BMW try to protect some of us, these reasons are not matching the reality
- if ICE is running in 45e, the car won't shut off. this can be achieved by the hack above, or simply if the car's HVB is low and demand ICE on. So when ICE is on, it isn't dangerous anymore???
- How about on a ICE bmw? this isn't dangerous anymore??
- The rolling issue. This is because people accidentally or intentionally put car in neutral, AND don't use handbrake, and walk away from the car. The open door engine off thing play no roll here.

If driver door open not shutting car off is that dangerous, we have had cars like that for almost 100 years, , human would have be endangers species by now.
      08-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #34
Jongp3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
If you
Honestly it's a very bad idea to have an electric car not shut off when opening the drivers door and there would be tons of people on here complaining how they got run over by their own car if it wouldn't.
They could easily program the car to just go into Park instead of turning off, this scenario could be avoided.
This is how all my modern ICE cars handle opening the door with the engine running.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:22 PM   #35
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongp3 View Post
They could easily program the car to just go into Park instead of turning off, this scenario could be avoided.
This is how all my modern ICE cars handle opening the door with the engine running.
Like I said, it is already done that way in 45e at least. I can test on a friend's 40i on weekend. Car in D, R, S, M, as soon as door open, car in P, car shut off. However, if one puts car in N, open door, car will remain on N, car shut off. AND if this someone doesn't use handbrake, sure he/she can get run over. Again, car off when door open did NOT save this person.
      08-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #36
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongp3 View Post
Even when put into park the engine turns off unless you have an X5 with the ASS button, if you turn off ASS the engine stays running.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:23 PM   #37
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
If driver door open not shutting car off is that dangerous, we have had cars like that for almost 100 years, , human would have be endangers species by now.
It being dangerous does not mean 100% chance fatal, so not sure where your comments come from.

Yes, it is dangerous, but like leaving your door unlocked, probably nothing would happen most of the time. But you do read tragedies resulting from this from time to time. And I think one easily preventable tragedy is one too many.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #38
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
It being dangerous does not mean 100% chance fatal, so not sure where your comments come from.

Yes, it is dangerous, but like leaving your door unlocked, probably nothing would happen most of the time. But you do read tragedies resulting from this from time to time. And I think one easily preventable tragedy is one too many.
Totally out of context.

The point is, in X5, car off does NOT mean car does NOT roll. If the concern if car can roll when door is open, the possible solution should be door open => car in park. Not car off => car off.
      08-02-2023, 03:04 PM   #39
B767capt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

I read an article a few years ago that said one unintended consequence of these keyless cars was that people would pull into their garage and get distracted by a phone call or what ever and accidently leave the car running, put the garage door down and go inside. Fire departments saw a huge increase carbon monoxide calls once these keyless cars were out and about. I wonder if BMW programed the car this way to prevent this. Said this happened to the elderly most often probably because they've used a key their whole lives.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #40
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Is it as simple as clicking an option that’s available on the screen as you mentioned? No reply seems to be talking about this at all. If it was this simple why do the buckle up seat belt on an empty driver seat etc? Tesla does the same thing. It provides a “keep climate on” on the screen, you can touch that to turn it on and exit. In the Tesla you (the passenger that’s inside the car) can also just touch the touchscreen and the climate will come on. But if the passenger is in the back it’s not easy to touch the screen. But the “keep the climate on” option is the best way to do it. And if a similar on screen option is available in the BMW then why all this debate?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 03:39 PM   #41
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifix View Post
Is it as simple as clicking an option that’s available on the screen as you mentioned?No reply seems to be talking about this at all. If it was this simple why do the buckle up seat belt on an empty driver seat etc? Tesla does the same thing. It provides a “keep climate on” on the screen, you can touch that to turn it on and exit. In the Tesla you (the passenger that’s inside the car) can also just touch the touchscreen and the climate will come on. But if the passenger is in the back it’s not easy to touch the screen. But the “keep the climate on” option is the best way to do it. And if a similar on screen option is available in the BMW then why all this debate?
we/i have addressed the OP's issue already.

the OP wants the HVAC to remain on for passenger comfort when he opens the driver door to exit the vehicle. he can do this by turning on preconditioning before opening the door via the infotainment screen selection or can activate preconditioning via the app after he's left the vehicle. this requires adequate HVB charge, though, so if there isn't enough, he has to resort to workarounds.

the "turn off vehicle when opening door" setting confuses many. disabling this setting doesn't prevent the vehicle or HVAC from turning off when opening the driver door. this setting addresses the vehicle electronics (radio, infotainment, etc).
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 03:41 PM   #42
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it as simple as clicking an option that’s available on the screen as you mentioned? No reply seems to be talking about this at all. If it was this simple why do the buckle up seat belt on an empty driver seat etc? Tesla does the same thing. It provides a “keep climate on” on the screen, you can touch that to turn it on and exit. In the Tesla you (the passenger that’s inside the car) can also just touch the touchscreen and the climate will come on. But if the passenger is in the back it’s not easy to touch the screen. But the “keep the climate on” option is the best way to do it. And if a similar on screen option is available in the BMW then why all this debate?
It is not that simple on 45e. Even with HVB allow precondition, I think it is one or two click. But people keep forgetting, precondition may NOT be available.
      08-02-2023, 04:13 PM   #43
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
It is not that simple on 45e. Even with HVB allow precondition, I think it is one or two click. But people keep forgetting, precondition may NOT be available.
You mean precondition may not be available when the HV battery depletes to zero (or almost zero)? Yes that’s understandable but in that scenario none of the options like buckling the driver seat belt etc also won’t work correct? So in the scenarios where it can work why not simply add a shortcut to the precondition to turn it on and use that?
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2023, 04:20 PM   #44
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mean precondition may not be available when the HV battery depletes to zero (or almost zero)? Yes that’s understandable but in that scenario none of the options like buckling the driver seat belt etc also won’t work correct? So in the scenarios where it can work why not simply add a shortcut to the precondition to turn it on and use that?
those options will still work. Because the car is on, if HVB demand charging, ICE will kick in. AC will be remain on.

Also, I want to point out, precondition become unavailable before the HVB gets to a point where ICE needs to kick in. So AC can be running when the car is on in hybrid mode (without ICE), but precondition isn't allowed already. I encountered this situation many times in last week road trip. it is actually a very easy case to encounter in a hot day (100F in south Cal), and driving in location traffic with AC running.