BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-09-2023, 10:26 AM   #45
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
At least three? I can do anything with 1 or max 2 pushes.

In idrive 8.5, touch fan symbol, touch function and then you touch fan symbol again or home to return to home screen. Yes you get the function after 2 but it takes a third push to return to normal screen. In a preLCI, one touch of a button.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 12:47 PM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBeemer View Post
I think it's just lost in translation to be honest. In Germany it seems to me that "adaptive" is mostly a marketing term and basically means that the headlights are able to change the light distribution in some other way than high/low beam. This could mean anti-dazzle or cornering lights, or both.

So it doesn't really tell you anything it seems. While my E88 135i did have "adaptive headlights" it meant that they would swivel on twisty roads but it did not change the light-distribution for traffic except for engaging high/low beam when applicable. While the X5 has "adaptive headlights" as well but apparently this means they have the dazzle-free assistant that actually changes the light distribution individually while not swiveling on twisty roads, apparently?

There certainly is a distinction, in Germany at least, between "cornering lights" ("Kurvenlicht") and "turning lights" ("Abbiegelicht"). The former will be able to shift the light distribution only a few degrees to either side while the latter will illuminate the area up to 90° to the side of the car. I've seen vehicles only have the former or the latter or both.

I guess it's just semantics at this point and my issue with "adaptive headlights" is that doesn't really tell you what they are able to do, except for varying the light distribution, whereas "Kurvenlicht" and "Abbiegelicht" tell me exactly what I'm getting.
Yes, just different terms. Here our regulation calls them Adsptuve Driving Beans but most commonly it is call Anti-Dazzle. So we have cornering lights which are low speed high angle turn lights. Adaptive or steering response headlights which are higher speed lights and Anti-dazzle or Adaptive Drivung Beans which provides tunneling/variable light distribution for high beams.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 02:02 PM   #47
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Maybe you are reading too much into it. I take his comment to mean he really loves the seats and can't imagine anyone not. Guess it all depends on your expectations of what people are trying to say and their intentions. Only the OP knows for sure what he was thinking.
Thank you TB, that's exactly what I meant.
      10-09-2023, 05:00 PM   #48
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I can't imagine buying a new BMW without the multi contour seats, and I can't imagine someone saying the multi contour seats are uncomfortable--they get almost universal rave reviews everywhere else I've seen.

The car isn't without its flaws but I've never found a problem with the headlights either.
For me, the Mercedes sport seats are way more comfortable on a five hour trip compared to the '22 X5 multi-contour seats. I wouldn't say the multi-contour seats are bad. They look great and the Merino leather is very nice. They look the part of a luxury seat. The multi-contour seats just can't compare to Mercedes sport seats for comfort on long trips. When driving around town or a thirty minute trip, I like the multi-Contour seats.

The seat ventilation is hardly noticeable except for the sound of the fan on high. On a Chrysler Pacifica I need to turn the seat ventilation down. On the X5, I wonder if ventilation is operating. The dealer says that ventilation is working to spec.

I feel like I am well bolstered and sitting in the Mercedes sport seats. In the BMW multi-contour seats, I feel like I am sitting on them in comparison. Adjusting the side bolsters helps, but the seats seemed designed more for luxury than sport.

I am very happy with the X5. It is a great trip vehicle. If I was getting a new vehicle today, it would probably be an X5. If I could change something about the X5 for trips it would be getting a more comfortable driver seat.

The adaptive laser lights on the '22 X5 are quite good. I got the executive package in order get the laser lights. Although I would not have ordered the glass controls that come with the executive package, I have come to really appreciate them and the other parts of the executive package. I haven't tried the '24 lights. I wanted to get a '22 or a '23 since I knew the headlights were going to change with the LCI and I wanted an objective headlight test from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The laser lights score well on the IIHS test. If BMW could enable the anti-dazzle feature of the laser lights in the US, they would be excellent. The laser lights have a very well-defined straight line at the top on low beam. The line was weird at first, versus a normal diffuse light, but the line probably maximizes the lighting on "low beam." Activating anti-dazzle would make it easier to see down the road when low beams would otherwise be required. On high beam, the laser lights light up the road well. The adaptive turn of the lights on steering wheel input is helpful. One of the reasons that I bought the X5 was for the quality of the headlights. They make a big difference when driving at night. I would never go back to a vehicle with bad headlights when good headlights are available.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:06 PM   #49
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidCamel View Post
For me, the Mercedes sport seats are way more comfortable on a five hour trip compared to the '22 X5 multi-contour seats. I wouldn't say the multi-contour seats are bad. They look great and the Merino leather is very nice. They look the part of a luxury seat. The multi-contour seats just can't compare to Mercedes sport seats for comfort on long trips. When driving around town or a thirty minute trip, I like the multi-Contour seats.

The seat ventilation is hardly noticeable except for the sound of the fan on high. On a Chrysler Pacifica I need to turn the seat ventilation down. On the X5, I wonder if ventilation is operating. The dealer says that ventilation is working to spec.

I feel like I am well bolstered and sitting in the Mercedes sport seats. In the BMW multi-contour seats, I feel like I am sitting on them in comparison. Adjusting the side bolsters helps, but the seats seemed designed more for luxury than sport.

I am very happy with the X5. It is a great trip vehicle. If I was getting a new vehicle today, it would probably be an X5. If I could change something about the X5 for trips it would be getting a more comfortable driver seat.

The adaptive laser lights on the '22 X5 are quite good. I got the executive package in order get the laser lights. Although I would not have ordered the glass controls that come with the executive package, I have come to really appreciate them and the other parts of the executive package. I haven't tried the '24 lights. I wanted to get a '22 or a '23 since I knew the headlights were going to change with the LCI and I [...]
The Anti-Dazzle is not part of the Lasers. For the pre-LCI top trim lights it has three parts: the LED low beams, LED high beams, and the lasers. The lasers only turn on under very specific conditions, and when they're not on you're just seeing the LED low beams and LED high beams. I do not believe the lasers will turn-on on curvy roads. And you have to be going a minimum of 37mph/60kmh for the lasers to activate.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 11:29 PM   #50
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
The Anti-Dazzle is not part of the Lasers. For the pre-LCI top trim lights it has three parts: the LED low beams, LED high beams, and the lasers. The lasers only turn on under very specific conditions, and when they're not on you're just seeing the LED low beams and LED high beams. I do not believe the lasers will turn-on on curvy roads. And you have to be going a minimum of 37mph/60kmh for the lasers to activate.
It is possible if other conditions are met, like fast enough and dark enough. But my personal experience, laser active vs not, difference isn't large. I cannot from illumination point of view, laser is worth the money.

For LCI, I don't get the "full LED" option tho. Without that, which lights are NOT LED??
arRod1981912.00
      10-09-2023, 11:41 PM   #51
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
It is possible if other conditions are met, like fast enough and dark enough. But my personal experience, laser active vs not, difference isn't large. I cannot from illumination point of view, laser is worth the money.

For LCI, I don't get the "full LED" option tho. Without that, which lights are NOT LED??
Yea, completely the speed and darkness, which also from misunderstanding plays into the no oncoming traffic for lasers to activate. Even though the lasers are not directly shooting light and rather is being reflected out, still they will not activate if any oncoming traffic is sensed.

Agreed on the no clue on the LCI, hopefully some literature will come out to explain it. At least on the pre-LCI it was very obvious what the upgrade entailed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 11:45 AM   #52
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

I asked BMW Genius what the Premium Package Full or standard LED difference was. The answer was that the Premium Full LED has blue stripes on the headlights. I kid you not.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #53
ddavtian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 X6M, 20 X4M CE, 24 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
In idrive 8.5, touch fan symbol, touch function and then you touch fan symbol again or home to return to home screen. Yes you get the function after 2 but it takes a third push to return to normal screen. In a preLCI, one touch of a button.
Or " hey BMW, lower driver fan speed".
No button push, and works well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:11 PM   #54
hotvee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
Or " hey BMW, lower driver fan speed".
No button push, and works well.
Not necessarily from the first attempt though. You better be alone in the car or your passengers have to be silent while you are making this voice request. You audio will be muted as well as your phone call. Takes longer time and you hear an automatic program voice as a confirmation. Not quite an equal replacement for just a simple button push.
Appreciate 4
tooloud10766.50
DaveDBD152.00
eelnoraa2032.50
X3_Alaska142.00
      10-10-2023, 05:01 PM   #55
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotvee View Post
Not necessarily from the first attempt though. You better be alone in the car or your passengers have to be silent while you are making this voice request. You audio will be muted as well as your phone call. Takes longer time and you hear an automatic program voice as a confirmation. Not quite an equal replacement for just a simple button push.
I’ve been attempting to use voice controls in my cars for over 20 years now and it doesn’t seem to work any better now than it did back then.
cobramite1227.50
      10-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #56
DaveDBD
First Lieutenant
Rep

Additionally only one person at a time can make changes. Amazing how many times my wife and I want to change HVAC or seat/steering wheel heating selections only to have neither work because we both touched at the same time. With real buttons both could be changing settings.

As to voice control, if someone in your car is talking, you have to tell them to be quiet first. Major nuisance. LCI might be great for a person who drives alone but not for 2 or more.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:10 PM   #57
cobramite
Banned
Rep
Drives: '24 X6 M60i, '22 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I’ve been attempting to use voice controls in my cars for over 20 years now and it doesn’t seem to work any better now than it did back then.
Too funny, Sounds like I've had as much luck with that crap as you have.
The only thing more foolish than talking to your car is waiving one's pinking at the dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 06:41 PM   #58
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDBD View Post
I asked BMW Genius what the Premium Package Full or standard LED difference was. The answer was that the Premium Full LED has blue stripes on the headlights. I kid you not.
As much as it is sad, but it is kind of expected. Who are the BMW Genius really? they are probably entry level customer service agent answer phones, receiving minimal training about BMW or cars in general, probably the manual more than average BMW buyers. Keep in mind, that manual is marketing material anyway. Even if someone read it 10x, cannot expect them to know anything about car because of knowledge from that manual.
      10-10-2023, 06:52 PM   #59
LDT
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

The kid genius who set me up when I picked up the car was indeed a genius. The ones on the phone during the production process….not so much. I’ve got some time on my hands. How can I get one of those remote phone answering jobs?
2015 GL 350--diesel burner/highway queen
2013 Audi S6--a beast in it's day
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 07:21 PM   #60
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

The new GO5 Gesture Controls, LCI style.

Such fun.......
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #61
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
The kid genius who set me up when I picked up the car was indeed a genius. The ones on the phone during the production process….not so much. I’ve got some time on my hands. How can I get one of those remote phone answering jobs?
Really wish more English 1st language speaking people had those jobs.
Seems as if I get some mush mouth in YoYo land every time I call an 800 # and have to ask them to repeat everything 3 or 4 times. 21st century customer service.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:37 AM   #62
SwissBeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
The new GO5 Gesture Controls, LCI style.

Such fun.......
Deactivated those right away. One of the few features that I feel are an absolute gimmick. Kinda reminds me of the touch-function of the iDrive controller in my 7-series that would randomly scroll through menus just because your hand touched the top of the controller.
Appreciate 1
gsquare64.50
      10-12-2023, 05:43 AM   #63
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Are those gesture controls different than pre LCI?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 09:59 AM   #64
cobramite
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Deactivated those right away. One of the few features that I feel are an absolute gimmick. Kinda reminds me of the touch-function of the iDrive controller in my 7-series that would randomly scroll through menus just because your hand touched the top of the controller.
Yep, deactivate that junk for sure. Gesture controls
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 07:22 PM   #65
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramite View Post
Yep, deactivate that junk for sure. Gesture controls

No way! Free with my 2019. I actually use it. Impresses my friends driving their Bentleys.

I got a Gesture fer ya.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 08:24 AM   #66
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
My wife's Italian American. Her hands move non-stop. We deactivated gesture control the first week.
Appreciate 2
leo92372.00
ERC429.50