BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
4GenX5owner
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I have a 2019 X5 loaded with Off-Road Package. Looks like BMW doesn't offer the Off-Road option in 2021 X5 or X6. Wondering why? Are there Technical or Compatibility Suspension issues? Was the Off-Road extinction done by Marketing? I am asking the Forum for your User Experience with Off-Road's reliability. Are there problems any of you users have encountered? I'm thinking of buying out this Lease. Don't want to buy into a design that's obsolete or troublesome.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:53 AM   #2
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GenX5owner View Post
I have a 2019 X5 loaded with Off-Road Package. Looks like BMW doesn't offer the Off-Road option in 2021 X5 or X6. Wondering why? Are there Technical or Compatibility Suspension issues? Was the Off-Road extinction done by Marketing? I am asking the Forum for your User Experience with Off-Road's reliability. Are there problems any of you users have encountered? I'm thinking of buying out this Lease. Don't want to buy into a design that's obsolete or troublesome.

Was this an actual BMW factory package? I know that dealers build their own packages occasionally for cars. I almost bought a new 2020 X5 with mud flaps, off-road tires, black oem wheels, and roof racks.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
4GenX5owner
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your response and further inquiry. This 2019 was ordered and delivered with the Factory Off-road build as follows:

ZOR - Off-road
2T4 - M Sport Differential
2VR - 2 -axle Air Suspension
3E3 - xOffroad Package

I had had every prior generation X5 but was seriously considering switching to a Range Rover due to off-road needs. When BMW introduced the G05 with this package, it seemed like the answer.

Now as I consider a buyout, I want to make sure it won't be a costly feature to maintain down the road. Right now I have low miles on this vehicle so, of course, it's running great.

Are you familiar with this Factory built package? Have you or anyone else seen issues with it? If so, trying to gauge what I might encounter.

Many Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

The off-road package was an actual BMW factory package, but it's not longer offered. No idea why they got rid of it, but maybe there wasn't enough demand?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

You've got me curious: what are your off-road needs?

I don't have any helpful experience with the packages about which you are inquiring but my guess would be the package was removed due to lack of interest, rather than problematic or trouble-prone components. I think most of the components aside from the skid plate are found in other packages and are still available.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GenX5owner View Post

ZOR Off-road package option was removed for MY21 models.

Due to ZOR low take-rate (lack of demand), BMWNA stopped offering the option though it still available for certain international markets.

There were no reliability issues. 2T4 M Differential is standard on M50i and air suspension was available as an individual option but now limited to 45e models since the air suspension is designed for the PHEV.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
You've got me curious: what are your off-road needs?

I don't have any helpful experience with the packages about which you are inquiring but my guess would be the package was removed due to lack of interest, rather than problematic or trouble-prone components. I think most of the components aside from the skid plate are found in other packages and are still available.
The ZOR off-road program modes are not available on any other model BMW including xOffroad camera angles (subset of the 360 cameras).

Otherwise 2T4 M Differential is standard on M50i and air suspension is limited to 45e models until supply ramps up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Mr. Auricom, fantastic information as always.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
4GenX5owner
Registered
United_States
Rep

Mr. Auricom and All of You,

Thanks so much for allaying my concerns on the factory-installed off-road components. The low uptake was a suspicion but I wanted to research. My off-road needs are for my New Mexico home but I ended up keeping this vehicle in Miami hence the low mileage and lack of hands on time off-road. This is very much appreciated insight.

I took the 15K/36 month lease option. With less than 11,000 miles to date and the lease ending the end of February, friends are saying buy it. I'm considering since G05 will still be the 2022 platform, but I don't want to take on any glaring technical challenges. Thank you for your sensible insights!!

Regards!
Appreciate 0