01-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay4252 View Post
Hi
I track my vehicle everyday on the tracking site same message everyday production begins today
for last week so decided to call bmw genius this morning gave him the vehicle ID number he says production almost finished should be completed by 30th Jan
tracking web side is way behind i was so surprised that the production begins so quick wonder how long it will take after the 30th to get to the dealer
Thanks
You are misinterpreting the status and what the web site is telling you. The production begins status just means that a VIN has been assign and the parts ordered/allocated. There is no physical production being done. Once that starts it only takes a few hours to complete. In your case Jan 30th is your build date so you should see your vehicle go through a bunch of different status that day. There often is a few hour, perhaps a day, delay in the updates.
      01-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #24
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
You are misinterpreting the status and what the web site is telling you. The production begins status just means that a VIN has been assign and the parts ordered/allocated. There is no physical production being done. Once that starts it only takes a few hours to complete. In your case Jan 30th is your build date so you should see your vehicle go through a bunch of different status that day. There often is a few hour, perhaps a day, delay in the updates.
This is super helpful, thanks for the info! Production began (and vin assigned) for me on 1/20 with a 2/3 estimated completion date...given it is a week away I was wondering why my status wasn't updating.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 01:49 PM   #25
Jay4252
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M sport

Thank you so much turtle boy for explaining
Hope the X5 will be at the dealership soon
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #26
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Hi
I track my vehicle everyday on the tracking site same message everyday production begins today
for last week so decided to call bmw genius this morning gave him the vehicle ID number he says production almost finished should be completed by 30th Jan
tracking web side is way behind i was so surprised that the production begins so quick wonder how long it will take after the 30th to get to the dealer
Thanks

My completion date was 01/26 and they didn't start the assembly till the morning of 01/26 but by 6:00p same day it was "awaiting carrier assignment".

The actual assembly is very quick and usually only takes a day.
      01-27-2021, 09:09 PM   #27
nycpassat
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i

I thought the BMW credit is up to $2,500 post January 1, 2021? $3,500 is for any remaining leftover 2020 models.

https://www.bmwusa.com/special-offers.html
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 07:48 AM   #28
Jay4252
Rep

$2500.00 +$1000 loyalty total $3500.00 on 2021
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #29
Jay4252
Rep

Hi everyone
Just checked into my bmw site
my x5 is already built waiting career assignment
just check mdecoder put the vin number
build date Jan 29th printed out the build sheet from mdecoder
no where on the build it says 48V mild hybrid and also when i ordered the x5 22inch i also asked for space saver tire which it says clearly on my copy of buyers order build
i hope i am not missing anything sheet
my salesman just called my he said the x5 should be at the dealer on Feb 5th
I am so excited

Last edited by Jay4252; 02-01-2021 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #30
Jay4252
Rep

HI
My 2021 x5 arrived at the dealer earlier then expected
my dealer just sent me some pic
too bad i am out of town wont see the x5 until Feb. 10th
here are the pic pic dealer sent me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #31
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks turtleboy for quick reply
My sales person did not tell me about that
so with air suspension you dont get adaptive or m suspension
so which is better
Thanks
In my opinion the air suspension is the best since it provides the comfort yet can be sporty when needed. Others will say to never use anything but the adaptive M suspension because they want the handling to be as close to a sport sedan as possible and comfort is not a priority. Overall I think you will find that those will air suspension are very satisfied with the experience it provides.
Agreed. Air suspension is the best, and in the 40i for $150 it's a no brainer.
      02-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #32
drpeters
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8

pics

lets see the unwrapped pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #33
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
The M Sport package contains the Adaptive M suspension but of course if you choose air suspension then that replaces it.
TurtleBoy, I'm about to place my order on a 2021 X5 M Sport 40i and my salesman is telling me M Sport is an appearance only package and doesn't contain the Active M Suspension. I don't see it listed under the configurator's description of M Sport. If I understand you correctly, you're saying it in fact does contain the active suspension. Do I have this right, and secondly I where can I find the listing you included that identifies each option by code?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #34
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
TurtleBoy, I'm about to place my order on a 2021 X5 M Sport 40i and my salesman is telling me M Sport is an appearance only package and doesn't contain the Active M Suspension. I don't see it listed under the configurator's description of M Sport. If I understand you correctly, you're saying it in fact does contain the active suspension. Do I have this right, and secondly I where can I find the listing you included that identifies each option by code?

Thanks in advance!
Your salesman is wrong. Have him check the pricing guide. I’m not at hone right now so can’t post the option but the pricing guide should be on the forum so you can check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #35
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I assume by now your salesman has corrected himself but if not, here is the Pricing Guide that shows the package and the Adaptive M suspension being included.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2021 G05 Pricing Guide.pdf (1.57 MB, 93 views)
      02-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #36
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick response!

I ended up calling BMW customer relations, talked with a tech. He gave me the facts you've stated and told me to request the pricing guide as you have provided, bypass the sales guy and talk with the sales manager. I requested and received the guide you provided, so I'm now going through and confirming my options.

I'm essentially flying on my own here at this point, sales person is wrong on the suspension question (pretty major miss IMHO) and I've corrected him on two other features so far and I suspect one more so I've lost confidence in what he's saying. I'm heading into the dealer tomorrow, will sit with the sales manager a bit to review where I'm at, although to be honest the minimal interaction I've already had with him I'm not confident I'm going to get better responses, we'll see.

At this point, I'm probably sticking with the M Sport Package, just need to decide if I want to go air suspension or not. I've requested to test drive a car with it, we'll see what they come up with one, sounded like a challenge.

I want to get the M Sport Brakes (2NH), my sales guy told me they were identical to standard brakes except for the painted rotors. That's contrary to what I've read in this forum and the summary description on the BMW site. Anyone know if they are different and if so how (e.g larger rotors, bigger calipers, pads)?

Was leaning toward the 22 in wheels but now I'm thinking 21" Y-spoke bi-color wheels (style 744) since I'm concerned about both a harsher ride on the 22 and more chance of picking up a dent.

Was going to order Vernasca seats with the standard/sport seat but after sitting in the multi-contour seats with Merino, probably worth upgrading to Luxury Seating Package (ZLS).

Heated steering wheel, trailer hitch, with just the included convenience package and that wraps up my build.

Oh, I'm going with Alpine White what over Ivory, not sure about extended Shadowline trim. I know this is a subjective and personal area, but thoughts on my build and colors?

I appreciate any help you all can provide!

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 02-16-2021 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Grammar check
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #37
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I'm glad you were able to talk to someone at BMW and get some info. Sounds like your salesman, and possible the sale mangers, does not have a clue.

The M Sport brakes are definitely different from the standard brakes in more than just color.

Depending on what type of ride you want to achieve, I would recommend getting the air suspension especially with the 21 or 22" wheels. The air will provide you will the most comfortable ride but yet offer some sportiness when wanted.

I would suggest posting any questions you have here and someone will be glad to help out.
      02-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #38
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help. So I read that in another thread that electronic damper control (EDC) is standard on all X5's and that Adaptive M Suspension is essentially a tune for EDC. Does Adaptive M Suspension have stiffer springs to accomplish this task or perhaps different valves?

Air Suspension (AS) replaces Adaptive M Suspension but the X5 40 M Sport will still has EDC. If that's true, its somewhat confusing, but let me continue. I'm assuming the Air Suspension is dynamic/adaptive to road conditions with respect to the firmness the driver has selected. If so, what is EDC doing at that point? Is it essentially the computer telling the AS the firmness level at any given moment as it would with Adaptive M Sport's steel springs/valves. I guess the key question is what is EDC comprised of and how does it work with AS?

Another question, I see that on the same thread that people are ordering Air Suspension AND "Integral Active Steering (IAS)" I haven't seen anything about IAS on the BMW X5 40 pages nor has my sales guy mentioned it. What is IAS? I see it's listed as an option only on the M50i, doesn't look like it's available on a 2021 X5 40i M Sport?

Side note, maybe I can talk my sale guy into splitting his commission with you, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #39
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Another question, I see that on the same thread that people are ordering Air Suspension AND "Integral Active Steering (IAS)" I haven't seen anything about IAS on the BMW X5 40 pages nor has my sales guy mentioned it. What is IAS? I see it's listed as an option only on the M50i, doesn't look like it's available on a 2021 X5 40i M Sport?
IAS = Integral Active Steering

At speed of up to 30mph the back wheels turn in the opposite direction as the front (i.e. you turn your car to the left, the rear wheels will turn right at 2.5 degrees max) tightening the turning circle.

When changing lanes over 50mph all four wheels (same 2.5 degree will move in the same direction making for nimbler handling plus overall reduces the body roll slightly.

Here's a video by BMW USA that gives a good visual:

02-16-2021, 09:22 PM   #40
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help. So I read that in another thread that electronic damper control (EDC) is standard on all X5's and that Adaptive M Suspension is essentially a tune for EDC. Does Adaptive M Suspension have stiffer springs to accomplish this task or perhaps different valves?

Air Suspension (AS) replaces Adaptive M Suspension but the X5 40 M Sport will still has EDC. If that's true, its somewhat confusing, but let me continue. I'm assuming the Air Suspension is dynamic/adaptive to road conditions with respect to the firmness the driver has selected. If so, what is EDC doing at that point? Is it essentially the computer telling the AS the firmness level at any given moment as it would with Adaptive M Sport's steel springs/valves. I guess the key question is what is EDC comprised of and how does it work with AS?

Side note, maybe I can talk my sale guy into splitting his commission with you, lol.

I'm not an expert on the suspensions by any means but here is my stab at your questions. The Adaptive M uses steel springs like the base suspension but are adjusted for a sporty feel to the ride. I assume that means they are stiffer.

My understanding is that EDC it is used with all suspension types. When a driving mode is selected, the EDC is used to adjust the ride.

IAS is not available on the 40i for MY21, only the M50i.
      02-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #41
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not an expert on the suspensions by any means but here is my stab at your questions. The Adaptive M uses steel springs like the base suspension but are adjusted for a sporty feel to the ride. I assume that means they are stiffer.

My understanding is that EDC it is used with all suspension types. When a driving mode is selected, the EDC is used to adjust the ride.

IAS is not available on the 40i for MY21, only the M50i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
IAS = Integral Active Steering

At speed of up to 30mph the back wheels turn in the opposite direction as the front (i.e. you turn your car to the left, the rear wheels will turn right at 2.5 degrees max) tightening the turning circle.

When changing lanes over 50mph all four wheels (same 2.5 degree will move in the same direction making for nimbler handling plus overall reduces the body roll slightly.

Here's a video by BMW USA that gives a good visual:

Thanks I get it now. It's 4 wheel steering like Porsche 911s. Too bad it's not available for my build. On the EDC AS topic, yeah I sort of get it. Thanks guys, this has been helpful. The little time I've already spent on this forum has answered a lot of my questions and probably raised even more. Compiling a list of my questions that I'm going to ask the Sales Manager tomorrow to explain, failing that I'll head over the Service Manager.
Appreciate 1
smomin23311.00
      02-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #42
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
I want to get the M Sport Brakes (2NH), my sales guy told me they were identical to standard brakes except for the painted rotors. That's contrary to what I've read in this forum and the summary description on the BMW site. Anyone know if they are different and if so how (e.g larger rotors, bigger calipers, pads)?
Detailed post to your brakes question:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27179474

Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #43
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I'm decided to get the factory trailer hitch rather than the StealthHitch for a number of reasons so it looks like the brakes are linked to that option. If I'm reading this correctly it looks like the Trailer Hitch option will include the same Brembo calipers front / TRW rear as the M Sport Brake option. They are painted silver rather than blue/red, but with slightly smaller rotors yet still larger than the base. Given that I'm not sure it still makes sense to spend up for the M Sport Brakes. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:37 PM   #44
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Interesting. I'm decided to get the factory trailer hitch rather than the StealthHitch for a number of reasons so it looks like the brakes are linked to that option. If I'm reading this correctly it looks like the Trailer Hitch option will include the same Brembo calipers front / TRW rear as the M Sport Brake option. They are painted silver rather than blue/red, but with slightly smaller rotors yet still larger than the base. Given that I'm not sure it still makes sense to spend up for the M Sport Brakes. Thanks for the info!
Ja, factory equipped brakes are tied to engine option, brake upgrade options and trailer hitch.

For majority of Bimmerpost X5 enthusiasts, opt for M Sport package and upgrade to M Sport brakes.

Since you're optioning 3AC Trailer Hitch, the front brake calipers are upgraded to fixed 4-piston (as a M Sport but without the branding and color) including slightly larger discs. Rears will stay the same.

Upgrading to M Sport brakes will gain you same calipers with M Sport branding in red or blue, larger front discs, same rear calipers with M Sport branding matched to fronts and larger rear discs.

I've enclosed an example of what it looks like on a 50i with 3AC - photo credit forum member Tennac I believe.

Also FYI reminder that the "foot-kick" capability in Comfort Access will be removed when optioning the trailer hitch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1