denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Unhappy seat comfort- NOT

Ok, so I am not a very big person 5'6" 165 and i cannot find a comfortable seat position in these M seats. I find the side bolsters are hard and too close together which squeezes my thighs together. I have tried all different positions for a month since I have had the vehicle. Particularly, in city traffic I get extremely bad pain in my right thigh and ass every time to the point I need to stop and get out to stretch. feels like sciatica. Even after the stretch I feel the effects for a day or more, thigh, ass and down to my knees. Any one else experience pain or discomfort with these seats? I was hoping they would give a bit by now, but they don't seem to be getting any better. I am to the point where I am really considering getting rid of the X6M and I find myself just not wanting to drive it some of the time. I don't know if I can live with this for the next couple years. Other than that the X has been great. too bad because I really want to like the vehicle. My previous 2013 X6M seats were awesome and I found them to be comfortable on both short and long drives.

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

That is really strange since there are so many adjustments on these seats and you aren't a big guy. I actually find M makes some of the best seats in the industry.

The only complaint that my wife had was that the head bolsters protrudes out too much making it less comfortable for her to nap in the car lol

One thing i do notice is that the seats gets a tad softer over time. Not sure if that will help or hurt your situation.

Alan
      01-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Interesting I'm 6'2" 275 and have zero complaints with the seats. Since you said you adjusted them in all ways not sure what more can be done... Maybe someone else has an idea.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
mokest03
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Ok, so I am not a very big person 5'6" 165 and i cannot find a comfortable seat position in these M seats. I find the side bolsters are hard and too close together which squeezes my thighs together. I have tried all different positions for a month since I have had the vehicle. Particularly, in city traffic I get extremely bad pain in my right thigh and ass every time to the point I need to stop and get out to stretch. feels like sciatica. Even after the stretch I feel the effects for a day or more, thigh, ass and down to my knees. Any one else experience pain or discomfort with these seats? I was hoping they would give a bit by now, but they don't seem to be getting any better. I am to the point where I am really considering getting rid of the X6M and I find myself just not wanting to drive it some of the time. I don't know if I can live with this for the next couple years. Other than that the X has been great. too bad because I really want to like the vehicle. My previous 2013 X6M seats were awesome and I found them to be comfortable on both short and long drives.
Interesting. I think the seats are some of the best I have ever had in a vehicle.
2018 440I GG
2019 M550i
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3478.50
      01-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

That stinks! As others have said, most find the seats very comfortable and there are tons of adjustments. I would try a few things that might seem counter intuitive like raising the seat height, trying a more upright position or reclined position, moving the seat way further up or back from the wheel.

I don’t have the sport seats but it took me a bit to find a comfortable position, and I’m still tweaking since I’m in my first week of owning the car.

For me, and this is different for everyone, I found that I had to adjust the seat higher and straighter in the back and really tweak the location of the lumbar support. That made a huge difference. Unfortunately, it feels like driving an SUV vs a sedan and like I’m sitting on the car vs in it but that has helped with comfort.

Sorry you’re dealing with that issue. Some other threads mentioned the location of the gas pedal as contributing to problems. Hasn’t been an issue for me that I’ve noticed but adjusting to overcome that issue may help.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Thanks for everyone's input. I surprised by the replies, maybe I am the only one. I am fairly easy fit with various car seats and have never had discomfort like this before. I work out several times a week and am active on a regular basis so It's not for a lack of exercise contributing. I will keep trying to find the sweet spot.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. I surprised by the replies, maybe I am the only one. I am fairly easy fit with various car seats and have never had discomfort like this before. I work out several times a week and am active on a regular basis so It's not for a lack of exercise contributing. I will keep trying to find the sweet spot.
I feel your pain. I had a 2016 F16 for a short time and HATED the seats. Kept it a few months and then got into the F86. The seats were somewhat better but still lacked in comparison to the seats in my previous E71s. I complained on here and no one agreed with me.
      01-27-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

OP you are not alone. I am 6 foot 190lbs and I found the exact same situation in the seats. Fatigue pain in the sides of my thighs after driving in it a bit. Seems to be the seat cushion side bolsters that as you know are not adjustable like the side bolsters on the seat backs. Feels almost like its putting my leg to sleep. Its awful.
I previously has a 2018 X5M which loved those seats and also currently have a 2018 M5 which those seats are similar to the F95 but I do not have the same problem with them. I've tried all kinds of settings and have not found a position that makes it better. Sorry cant help
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:37 AM   #9
BMW2021X5MSPORT
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
You are not the only one. I tried 1000'a of positions over a one year period. I have comfort seats. No ventilation. No massage. I am
never comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #10
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Copied from a post on seating comfort I wrote in 2015:
______

Maybe the following helps, for whatever it's worth -- I had the same seating discomfort on the X5 M, now solved as follows by "relearning" what I had been doing wrong for decades.

One month ago at the BMW Driving Experience course the instructor told us at the beginning to find a good seating position and advised to diligently follow this adjustment sequence:

1. first, vertically adjust your seat as high as possible (but leave at least one inch clearance from the roof) and incline the backrest so that your upper body sits at an angle of about 100 degrees with your thighs; please note that the X5 M backrest can be "doubly" adjusted by separately inclining its upper part (the "headrest" adjustment), which adds a difficulty that may require redoing the whole 1. to 4. sequence;

2. then, horizontally adjust the seat distance from the pedals by positioning the LEFT foot against the footrest so that the upper body can be comfortably "pinned" against the backrest by pushing the left foot against the footrest. Surprisingly, this adjustment needs to be quite precise, within about half an inch - and too near or too far becomes rapidly obvious.

3. then, adjust the driving wheel distance and height until you can fully cross your arms on the wheel without separating your back from the backrest; the wheel distance is much more important than its height, which can then be adjusted (and re-adjusted) to your liking;

4. only then start twiddling with side, lumbar and thigh supports -- and don't forget to always memorize the settings.

After a while you may need to repeat the whole sequence because some adjustments influence the others and your body also needs to adjust, but at least in my case after a while the discomfort was fully gone.

Until now I had been driving far too inclined and too far from the pedals - and it took me some time to really understand & accept the improvement, but now I feel really comfortable with the X5 M seat.

———

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=18486516
Appreciate 5
omasou2079.50
GrussGott18113.00
PBT143.00
LOFT180.00
      11-20-2021, 11:38 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Until now I had been driving far too inclined ...
But in Monaco where are you really going to drive to, the bottom of the hill?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #12
botis1028
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M & F10 M5

My dad has a 2021 X5 M50i and brought up this week for thanksgiving. I have the 2021 X5M coming from a 2018 X5M.

While the seats are "softer" in the M50i, I actually like the support / bolsters in ours way better.

I found that if you tilt the bottom up, extend the knee rest out to hug the back of your knee and then tilt the headrest/top half towards the steering wheel it creates a really nice huggy/comfy position.

These seats are just as soft as the 2018 F85 if not more so.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:17 AM   #13
Unkster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C & 2022 X5MC

I have a 2022 X5M and have the exact same issue.... except I AM a bigger guy. I just ordered a seat cushion "custom" for the x5 for longer drives. We shall see......
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 09:52 PM   #14
Nick Daffern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

Although the seats have many adjustments, it's too bad the bolsters can't be adjusted for width.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #15
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Daffern View Post
Although the seats have many adjustments, it's too bad the bolsters can't be adjusted for width.
My 2018 F90 M5 bolsters felt even narrower than our X5MC.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #16
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
These seats are some of the best I've ever seen. Same with my '19 M5 and I now have a '22 M5 CS, with bucket seats. They are extremely tight fitting and even they are super comfy and I love them.

Only suggestion would be to keep messing with the seats. I find it hard to believe you can't find a comfortable position, considering how much you can adjust these seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 09:27 PM   #17
PBT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Quote:
Copied from a post on seating comfort I wrote in 2015:
______

Maybe the following helps, for whatever it's worth -- I had the same seating discomfort on the X5 M, now solved as follows by "relearning" what I had been doing wrong for decades.

One month ago at the BMW Driving Experience course the instructor told us at the beginning to find a good seating position and advised to diligently follow this adjustment sequence:

1. first, vertically adjust your seat as high as possible (but leave at least one inch clearance from the roof) and incline the backrest so that your upper body sits at an angle of about 100 degrees with your thighs; please note that the X5 M backrest can be "doubly" adjusted by separately inclining its upper part (the "headrest" adjustment), which adds a difficulty that may require redoing the whole 1. to 4. sequence;

2. then, horizontally adjust the seat distance from the pedals by positioning the LEFT foot against the footrest so that the upper body can be comfortably "pinned" against the backrest by pushing the left foot against the footrest. Surprisingly, this adjustment needs to be quite precise, within about half an inch - and too near or too far becomes rapidly obvious.

3. then, adjust the driving wheel distance and height until you can fully cross your arms on the wheel without separating your back from the backrest; the wheel distance is much more important than its height, which can then be adjusted (and re-adjusted) to your liking;

4. only then start twiddling with side, lumbar and thigh supports -- and don't forget to always memorize the settings.

After a while you may need to repeat the whole sequence because some adjustments influence the others and your body also needs to adjust, but at least in my case after a while the discomfort was fully gone.

Until now I had been driving far too inclined and too far from the pedals - and it took me some time to really understand & accept the improvement, but now I feel really comfortable with the X5 M seat.

———

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=18486516
This was very helpful, thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 09:23 PM   #18
daydarken
Rep
Drives: X6M

I have a 2015 x6m with normal seat, less adjustment but confortable, especially head rest
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 04:55 AM   #19
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Daffern View Post
IIRC, the E90 335 w/ M sport had that option.

Also, for me I noticed the bolsters initially, but now the seats just give me a nice warm hug. 200 & 6'3 for me.
      07-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #20
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

OK...dumb question without thread jacking.

I compared my seating position with ajob's reco and set it as Position 2 in my profile. I definitely feels more secure and fitted in the Position 2 set up.

But here's my question. I looked over to the passenger front seat and the head rest is too high. The owner's guide only references auto-button adjustment of the head rest not manual manipulation. Mine are the standard sport Vernasca seats.

How do I lower the headrest?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #21
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFT View Post
OK...dumb question without thread jacking.

I compared my seating position with ajob's reco and set it as Position 2 in my profile. I definitely feels more secure and fitted in the Position 2 set up.

But here's my question. I looked over to the passenger front seat and the head rest is too high. The owner's guide only references auto-button adjustment of the head rest not manual manipulation. Mine are the standard sport Vernasca seats.

How do I lower the headrest?

Might have better luck on the regular G05 forum.
Appreciate 1
LOFT180.00