03-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #23
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Except BMW didn't learn their lesson. My take is based on the timing, BMW had exclusive WIRELESS apple carplay and therefore wanted to capitalize on that (To be fair, they probably did spend money to make this work). They made it free when other competitors had wireless as well. I'm not 100% sure about Audi but I know Benz definitely got wireless carplay in their new cars. I believe even Hyundai is going to start offering wireless carplay.
This is not true. BMW never had any exclusive deals with Apple for wireless CarPlay. It's just that BMW was the first car manufacturer to embrace it. Various 3rd party car audio has it as well.

Audi also has wireless carplay.
As for Mercedes, they have announced wireless carplay for their MBUX system for like a couple of years? But I don't think they have it yet. At least their newest GLE did not - even worse, GLE's CarPlay is displayed in a small window inside their huge display, and cannot go fullscreen!

Once you have tried other manufacturers' CarPlay, you will realize BMW has the best implementation, despite some bugs initially with G05.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #24
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I know you're not offended. I know you took that comment in jest. idk i just really like idrive and all of that overall. sure it has quirks but im not gonna get too mad about it. or iOS in general.
I am just pissed that yet another iOS update (13.4) was released yesterday with a bloody broken email app. In 2020. By the world's richest company. But we got more emoji ...

Try Spark, once you do, you won't go back
I tried them all (Spark, Outlook, others). The integration doesn't work well. I am an iPhone power user, it need it all to work together, like it did in 12 and before.
      03-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
This is not true. BMW never had any exclusive deals with Apple for wireless CarPlay. It's just that BMW was the first car manufacturer to embrace it. Various 3rd party car audio has it as well.

Audi also has wireless carplay.
As for Mercedes, they have announced wireless carplay for their MBUX system for like a couple of years? But I don't think they have it yet. At least their newest GLE did not - even worse, GLE's CarPlay is displayed in a small window inside their huge display, and cannot go fullscreen!

Once you have tried other manufacturers' CarPlay, you will realize BMW has the best implementation, despite some bugs initially with G05.
I don't think you read my post properly. I never said BMW has an exclusive deal. BMW was exclusive in the industry in the sense that they were the only one.

It is precisely that advantage that BMW tried to capitalize on, to charge the subscription.
Appreciate 0