BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #1
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

Engine oil measurement not functioning

Any idea why the oil measuring won't work?

The oil was at the right temperature, the car was level and tried several times but with no success.
The measuring process starts but it goes off before reaching 20% with no explanation/ message.

Let me know if you have any clue

The engine revs up 600 RPMS from 700 to 1300 immediately after it starts measuring. Measuring stops at about 17% and then the revs return to a 700 normal.

PS Issue has been resolved

Last edited by STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON; 05-28-2022 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: resolved
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by remeeno View Post
PS Issue has been resolved
What was the solution?
Appreciate 2
TheACN104.50
      01-31-2023, 09:45 AM   #3
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

I will post my findings so far, but this seems to be happening more often than not to some BMWs.

I have never had an issue with the sensor in my other BMWs, but a couple days ago at the gas station, when I normally check my oil level, I had the progress quit at 22% and no other errors would show. I tried three times and it would fail at the same spot. I turned off the car pumped my fuel and when I got back in the car, I tried again. It worked! So I moved the car and went to another level surface to try again. This time it would fail at 38% consistently after three tries.

I decided to research and this forum came up empty. I saw a YouTuber with another BMW (F34) where he has the same issues and he then cleared the error in the memory. I tried that and went for a driver, checked the oil once and it worked, but I have not checked it since to see if the fix is clearing the codes. The bahaviour seems software related. I will keep and eye and report back any changes or even fixes if it continues to do it.

Update:

I have read the oil level a few times since without issues.

Seems to be a software issue on my part. Still want to know what OP’s fix was/is.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

On the vehicle status screen, when this happens, is the oil level status "OK"?
      02-01-2023, 06:33 PM   #5
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
On the vehicle status screen, when this happens, is the oil level status "OK"?
When it happened to me, I did not know if the oil was OK. I assumed it was. When it finally read it, the oil is almost at max.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The user's manual says that an oil measurement is available after approximately 30-minutes of engine operation. IOW, it takes awhile and occurs while driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
What was the solution?
I had the vehicle diagnosed by 3 different BMW shops.
They all gave the the same (re)solution - the oil pump replacement - which I finally had to do after all.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 09:33 AM   #8
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had the vehicle diagnosed by 3 different BMW shops.
They all gave the the same (re)solution - the oil pump replacement - which I finally had to do after all.
BMW techs at it again……… Man these guys cannot diagnose anything. Why was the conclusion to change the oil pump?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 09:41 AM   #9
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why do u measure oil every time u put gas in it????
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 09:31 PM   #10
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
BMW techs at it again……… Man these guys cannot diagnose anything. Why was the conclusion to change the oil pump?
Because that is what BMW USA told them when they opened the TSARA case
It is probably easier for the less trained mechanics to replace the entire oil pump unit than to diagnose, open it, replace whatever and restore vehicle's functionality and safety.

Last edited by STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON; 02-05-2023 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:24 AM   #11
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because that is what BMW USA told them when they opened the TSARA case
It is probably easier for the less trained mechanics to replace the entire oil pump unit than to diagnose, open it, replace whatever and restore vehicle's functionality and safety.
But the oil pump has no bearing on the oil sensor measuring. Oil pump just moves oil around and maintains oil pressure in the system.

Did the car have low oil pressure? What did BMWUS actually said as to why the oil pump needs replacing if the oil sensor is not working.

Changing an oil pump in a B58 is no easy feat. The transmission has to come out say the least.

I want to know more because this does not seem to be just an oil measuring sensor issues.

Break break.

And for those here. I have measured the oil several times without issues after the software error clearing. My engine also maintains good oils pressure the times I have checks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #12
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

Quote:
But the oil pump has no bearing on the oil sensor measuring. Oil pump just moves oil around and maintains oil pressure in the system.

Did the car have low oil pressure? What did BMWUS actually said as to why the oil pump needs replacing if the oil sensor is not working.

Changing an oil pump in a B58 is no easy feat. The transmission has to come out say the least.

I want to know more because this does not seem to be just an oil measuring sensor issues.

Break break.

And for those here. I have measured the oil several times without issues after the software error clearing. My engine also maintains good oils pressure the times I have checks.

BMW US does not talk to customers about the failures of their vehicles, therefore the difficulty in knowing what they said on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:45 PM   #13
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:

Break break.

B58 oil level measurement problems are almost always due to the oil pump. Many have reported the dealer replaces the sensor and it still doesn’t work. After replacing the pump, problem solved. I have a 2020 M340i and was unable to perform an oil level measurement and also had a very audible whining noise coming from the engine that followed the engine RPMs. Faulty oil pump was the issue. Low oil pressure according to the technician at the dealer. After replacement, no more noise and I can measure the oil level. FWIW, no transmission drop required in the M340i but still a very pricey repair if not done under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 09:05 PM   #14
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
B58 oil level measurement problems are almost always due to the oil pump. Many have reported the dealer replaces the sensor and it still doesn’t work. After replacing the pump, problem solved. I have a 2020 M340i and was unable to perform an oil level measurement and also had a very audible whining noise coming from the engine that followed the engine RPMs. Faulty oil pump was the issue. Low oil pressure according to the technician at the dealer. After replacement, no more noise and I can measure the oil level. FWIW, no transmission drop required in the M340i but still a very pricey repair if not done under warranty.
Did the dealer clear any error codes before charging the sensor? Did the sensor change not work? What is the PSIG of the B58? Same as the N55 or similar? I have issues with the measuring, but only after the HU gets some error and when I clear then, the measuring is fine for months.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:12 PM   #15
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did the dealer clear any error codes before charging the sensor? Did the sensor change not work? What is the PSIG of the B58? Same as the N55 or similar? I have issues with the measuring, but only after the HU gets some error and when I clear then, the measuring is fine for months.
No error codes at all. In my case, they didn’t bother with the sensor and went straight to the pump due to the whining noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 04:25 AM   #16
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No error codes at all. In my case, they didn’t bother with the sensor and went straight to the pump due to the whining noise.
What was the noise like and when was it present?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:57 AM   #17
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What was the noise like and when was it present?
The engine oil must be fully warmed up before the noise occurs. It was a whining/whirring noise that changed pitch with the engine RPMs. It’s most noticeable with RPMs between 1500-2000. It was easy to hear in stop and go traffic. At higher speeds it’s difficult to hear because of road noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #18
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The engine oil must be fully warmed up before the noise occurs. It was a whining/whirring noise that changed pitch with the engine RPMs. It’s most noticeable with RPMs between 1500-2000. It was easy to hear in stop and go traffic. At higher speeds it’s difficult to hear because of road noise.
Windows down I presume!? I have the acoustic windows and I can’t hear anything mechanical inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 05:09 PM   #19
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Windows down I presume!? I have the acoustic windows and I can’t hear anything mechanical inside the car.
No, with windows up it’s easier to hear. If you can hear your engine rev with windows up then you would be able to hear the oil pump if it was whining.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 09:05 PM   #20
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, with windows up it’s easier to hear. If you can hear your engine rev with windows up then you would be able to hear the oil pump if it was whining.
With the acoustic windows you cannot hear anything inside the cabin related to the engine. So I guess you do not have acoustic windows.

The car is whisper quiet inside with the windows up.

Also I noticed that mine measures the oil just fine; however, it does not like to do it after short drives (it stops at 21% every time) after the car is restarted, it will measure it just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 08:06 PM   #21
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I can see whining noise associated with RMP could be oil pump, because it is driven by crank, but it is also possible for other component driven by serpentine belt, right??

Not that I don't believe you, but oil pump failure is very uncommon. It is entirely mechanical. if it is faulty, the only observation is oil pressure inconsistent and/or low. There isn't a code directly point to oil pump. And I don't see how this can impact oil level measurement either.