BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
CAtoMA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, M440ix conv

50e break in period? Also... CEL issue

I have a 2024 X5 50e. Love the car minus a couple teething pains.

I asked my dealer sales person if I could get a 1200 mile oil change for free because of the break-in period, but he looked at me cross-eyed and said that wouldn't be necessary or possible because "it is not an M car."

I suppose this squares with my previous experience of getting free oil changes with my '22 M440i convertible and '18 x3 M40i... but still seems off. Is he right? Should I pay for it and do it anyway?

Also, my car has just 150 miles on it and I recently got a Check Engine Light with code "P2EB8" -- I can't find anything useful about this online other than "control unit - performance issue." Is there a definitive guide to these things?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoMA View Post
I have a 2024 X5 50e. Love the car minus a couple teething pains.

I asked my dealer sales person if I could get a 1200 mile oil change for free because of the break-in period, but he looked at me cross-eyed and said that wouldn't be necessary or possible because "it is not an M car."

I suppose this squares with my previous experience of getting free oil changes with my '22 M440i convertible and '18 x3 M40i... but still seems off. Is he right? Should I pay for it and do it anyway?

Also, my car has just 150 miles on it and I recently got a Check Engine Light with code "P2EB8" — I can't find anything useful about this online other than "control unit - performance issue." Is there a definitive guide to these things?
he’s correct. only ///M vehicles require a service visit upon completing break-in.

what’s important to discern being you have the 50e is that the break-in involves 1200 ICE miles, not electric miles. on my 45e, I purposely selected Sport mode with every drive until the engine ran for 1200 miles. you want to get fluids moving into every nook and cranny and want things to seat properly inside the engine. breaking-in while in Hybrid mode doesn’t guarantee 1200 miles are done with the engine. it could be 50/50, 30/70, or anything in between. YMMV, literally.

regarding the CEL, either take it to your dealer or a service center to diagnose or purchase an OBD2 reader to learn more about the code.
Appreciate 1
X5Pye6.00
      05-11-2023, 08:06 AM   #3
X5Pye
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5d, 2016 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
...the 50e is that the break-in involves 1200 ICE miles, not electric miles. on my 45e, I purposely selected Sport mode with every drive until the engine ran for 1200 miles.
My 50e has just been built so I have time to figure this out. I would be surprised if ICE distance or hours were not recorded that the owner could access. Else using an OBD reader to pull up the codes for engine hours or distance would be preferred to breaking in on Sport Mode. I know myself, and if I am going to be in Sport Mode, I am going to see how close I can get to that 4 second 0-60 time.

So, while driving in Sport Mode 100% of the time sounds like fun at least during the first 500 miles, hard acceleration's and breaking should be avoided. Wouldn't BMW have considered this, and if it was necessary BMW would have indicate Sport Mode for break in? For me, I think hybrid mode will be sufficient for the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Pye View Post
My 50e has just been built so I have time to figure this out. I would be surprised if ICE distance or hours were not recorded that the owner could access. Else using an OBD reader to pull up the codes for engine hours or distance would be preferred to breaking in on Sport Mode. I know myself, and if I am going to be in Sport Mode, I am going to see how close I can get to that 4 second 0-60 time.

So, while driving in Sport Mode 100% of the time sounds like fun at least during the first 500 miles, hard acceleration's and breaking should be avoided. Wouldn't BMW have considered this, and if it was necessary BMW would have indicate Sport Mode for break in? For me, I think hybrid mode will be sufficient for the break-in period.
this is new tech for some folks, but not everybody thinks critically about how things may have to be approached differently than the old days. Hybrid mode may be sufficient for your break-in. I’m not saying it isn’t (was merely pointing out a possible factor). for me, my daily commute can be powered entirely by electric while in Hybrid mode, so the ICE components would never break in, thus the need to ‘force’ ICE use via Sport mode. can’t fault BMW engineers for not recommending it because my use case is an outlier to PHEV use which is designed to be “mostly ICE with a touch of electric,” not the other way around.

“so why not just get a full EV?” I’ve been asked. well, it’s because the SAV is our road trip vehicle. I looked into the iX, but it’s full “tank” doesn’t provide enough miles from A to B. we refuse to stop to charge.

there is similar discussion regarding break-in with the 45e which is the foundation of the 50e. the break-in language per the manual is same for their ICE-only vehicles, including recommendations to avoid hard braking and keeping speed and rpm down. if someone doesn’t heed those warnings and issues occur, that’s on them.

BTW, you can access the Trip Data and see how many miles were on the ICE versus electric. the reason why I mentioned the OBD2 reader wasn’t to track break-in miles (I have no clue how you came to that conclusion); it was to address his Check Engine Light
Appreciate 0