Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
I have HK, but did not touch the very rear speakers, just front doors, rear doors, center dash, and subs.

Currently running on stock HK amp and all works fine. Noticable difference for sure but once I get the amp (if i get the amp) it will be mind blowing in comparison to stock HK...at least i hope lol
did you ever end up upgrading the amp? I want to do the Focal Inside upgrade and I have the stock HK system. There is info ALL over this forum, but it seems so hard to piece together (as everyone has different configs). I was looking at the Match Up 10DSP amp to go with the upgrade and power the 2 earthquakes under the seat. I also wanted to see what would be necessary to add a sub in the trunk if I find that the 2 under the seat are not enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 07:36 AM   #222
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie651 View Post
did you ever end up upgrading the amp? I want to do the Focal Inside upgrade and I have the stock HK system. There is info ALL over this forum, but it seems so hard to piece together (as everyone has different configs). I was looking at the Match Up 10DSP amp to go with the upgrade and power the 2 earthquakes under the seat. I also wanted to see what would be necessary to add a sub in the trunk if I find that the 2 under the seat are not enough.
Hey there. I've been researching amp upgrade for a while. I.have the hi-fi system so I contacted their customer service and they confirmed in my case 8DSP with ram1.7 cable is enough. I believe Harman kardon requires ram1.9 cable however amp should be the same.

The amp has an rca preout. You can add a mono amp for a dedicated woofer easy.

By the way I did install focal speakers all around. It's a substantial improvement even with the stock amp. I can't imagine how it will be once the new amp is installed. I used to keep treble at max, you know for that false sense of clarity. Now I keep it at +2 only.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 06:24 PM   #223
Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
Hey there. I've been researching amp upgrade for a while. I.have the hi-fi system so I contacted their customer service and they confirmed in my case 8DSP with ram1.7 cable is enough. I believe Harman kardon requires ram1.9 cable however amp should be the same.

The amp has an rca preout. You can add a mono amp for a dedicated woofer easy.

By the way I did install focal speakers all around. It's a substantial improvement even with the stock amp. I can't imagine how it will be once the new amp is installed. I used to keep treble at max, you know for that false sense of clarity. Now I keep it at +2 only.
Thanks for the response. I wonder if I was to do one over the other at first (Focal Speakers or Match Up 10DSP amp), which would give the greater benefit with the factory HK system. I know I couldn’t upgrade the 2 8”s under the seat until I get the amp.

My other question is how big of an improvement, which I know is subjective, but it’s hard to hear in person first. Some people think the stock HK is good, some upgrade to the Focal Inside speakers and still say it’s not enough. Is it a wow factor upgrade where you get in the car, you can crank up the volume and you’re impressed by the loudness/quality?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 06:42 PM   #224
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I wonder if I was to do one over the other at first (Focal Speakers or Match Up 10DSP amp), which would give the greater benefit with the factory HK system. I know I couldn’t upgrade the 2 8”s under the seat until I get the amp.

My other question is how big of an improvement, which I know is subjective, but it’s hard to hear in person first. Some people think the stock HK is good, some upgrade to the Focal Inside speakers and still say it’s not enough. Is it a wow factor upgrade where you get in the car, you can crank up the volume and you’re impressed by the loudness/quality?
I can't speak for the amp upgrade but I'm curious too. I thought about posting here to see if anyone has done it around Brooklyn and would let me stop by to get a taste.

As for the Focals, sound is much clearer. I can also crank a lot higher as they don't distort like the factories did.

From what I've read though, amp makes a big difference. People set it in a way to get a more immersive sound. Everyone says to go with the amp first especially if the budget is a concern. I did the speakers first but I'm also upgrading the amp, hopefully within a couple of weeks. Cheapest 8DSP with ram cable I could find is $850 shipped from England.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 06:57 PM   #225
Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
I can't speak for the amp upgrade but I'm curious too. I thought about posting here to see if anyone has done it around Brooklyn and would let me stop by to get a taste.

As for the Focals, sound is much clearer. I can also crank a lot higher as they don't distort like the factories did.

From what I've read though, amp makes a big difference. People set it in a way to get a more immersive sound. Everyone says to go with the amp first especially if the budget is a concern. I did the speakers first but I'm also upgrading the amp, hopefully within a couple of weeks. Cheapest 8DSP with ram cable I could find is $850 shipped from England.
I’m really a surprised your sounds good with the stock HiFi amp. From what I thought I read is that with the base system, it wouldn’t be enough power for the Focals since they are not as efficient.

I was also looking at the Focal ES100’s but again, idk if the juice is worth the squeeze. It is not an overly expensive upgrade at ~$3,000 but it is to me if it doesn’t end up worth it lol

Are you going to try and tune the DSP yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 08:56 PM   #226
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There’s a post somewhere here where someone gathered all the preset tunes he could find (from audiotech’s web page and bimmertech tunes). I’ll probably start with one of them then go from there
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:11 PM   #227
DropTopKingM3
... space for rent ..
Albania
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 // G05 X5

Quote:
I’m really a surprised your sounds good with the stock HiFi amp. From what I thought I read is that with the base system, it wouldn’t be enough power for the Focals since they are not as efficient.

I was also looking at the Focal ES100’s but again, idk if the juice is worth the squeeze. It is not an overly expensive upgrade at ~$3,000 but it is to me if it doesn’t end up worth it lol

I have the focals (except for the subs) along with the match 8 amp and it sounds amazing!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 09:28 PM   #228
Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
I have the focals (except for the subs) along with the match 8 amp and it sounds amazing!
That’s awesome to hear. I think I’m going to try just adding the Match 10 with the 2 Earthquake subwoofers and see how the HK speakers hang. After speaking with some people, they say that the speakers really come alive after adding the amp.
Did you end up adding another sub in the back?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 10:06 PM   #229
DropTopKingM3
... space for rent ..
Albania
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 // G05 X5

Quote:
That’s awesome to hear. I think I’m going to try just adding the Match 10 with the 2 Earthquake subwoofers and see how the HK speakers hang. After speaking with some people, they say that the speakers really come alive after adding the amp.
Did you end up adding another sub in the back?
That’s exactly what I want to do next. I’m just torn between a powered sub (Rockford fosgate) or a JL compact sub with a separate JL amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 05:59 AM   #230
Boogie651
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
That’s exactly what I want to do next. I’m just torn between a powered sub (Rockford fosgate) or a JL compact sub with a separate JL amp.
I still have a couple months before I get home from work overseas and can work on the car, but keep me updated on what route you go.
Appreciate 0