BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2024, 12:11 PM   #1
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

20" tire availability

I just ordered an X5 50e with 275/45 20 tires. With every SUV that I have owned I have managed to ruin (as in NOT repairable) a tire and needed to buy a replacement. This has often been in the middle of no-where on a Sunday. Fortunately I have always had a spare tire that would get me to a town big enough to have a tire shop. I am concerned that with just run flats on the X5 I will have a tire problem, sooner or later.

How available are the 275/45 20 tires? Is that common enough that most tire shops will stock them? I am looking at a receiver type spare tire carriers. Any other suggestions? I have AAA Premier and that has not always helped me.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 01:28 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
I just ordered an X5 50e with 275/45 20 tires. With every SUV that I have owned I have managed to ruin (as in NOT repairable) a tire and needed to buy a replacement. This has often been in the middle of no-where on a Sunday. Fortunately I have always had a spare tire that would get me to a town big enough to have a tire shop. I am concerned that with just run flats on the X5 I will have a tire problem, sooner or later.

How available are the 275/45 20 tires? Is that common enough that most tire shops will stock them? I am looking at a receiver type spare tire carriers. Any other suggestions? I have AAA Premier and that has not always helped me.

thanks
different experiences will dictate the answers you’ll get here, so expect them to be varied.

Modern Spare sells a space saver spare kit for the G05. I purchased the OEM space saver kit from the classifieds here, so worth checking that.

I believe in run flats. even when my wife had a sidewall blowout on a narrow backroad with no safety shoulder, she was able to limp safely to a parking lot without sustaining any damage to the wheel. her tire was available the following day as has been the case for some of our other tire hazard warranty claims over the years, though usually they’ve been in stock at the dealerships

I recently replaced all four tires at Discount Tire who didn’t have them in stock, but they were available in 2 days
Appreciate 1
davchr80.50
      01-07-2024, 03:47 PM   #3
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e (2023)

In my area, nobody seems to ever have the X5 tires in stock. I've checked Costco, America's Tire, and 2 dealers. Everybody seems to order them. They are usually available in one business day, but if you're looking for an immediate replacement, IME, it doesn't seem to exist.

I do have the 19" wheels... I'm not sure if 20" is better.

You'd have a tough time finding a tire shop open on Sunday around here too. Costco is, but their reservations usually keep them from handling much drop in work.

I'm under the impression that the run flats will get you into town... unless you're 100+ miles out. I take a Modern Spare with me for road trips. It does take a bit of cargo space, but the OEM spare tire doesn't fit under the trunk floor in a 45e/50e.

If you really don't want to be stopped for long, maybe a full size spare on a hitch carrier? Someone has posted in the forums about that before.

Last edited by typedcl; 01-07-2024 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 1
davchr80.50
      01-07-2024, 10:13 PM   #4
typedcl
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e (2023)

Found the posts about the hitch tire carrier:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=33
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1905422
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:13 PM   #5
Cityman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Garage List
Most popular tire shops such as Discount Tire, generally show three different tire options in this size. But, they are always a 1-3 day delivery, at least in my city. Tire stores have limited space for inventory and just rely on shipping, which works for most people, unless you’re on a road trip.
Appreciate 0