BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
LegoLots
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (G05)

Considering RaceChips upgrade 2019 X5 40i, few questions

First off I'd love to get to around 400HP Safely on the engine etc. Is this a product that won't push it too hard to do any damage?
If I did get the tune, will the stock performance gauges (PSI/HP/TQ) measure accurately in stock form still? I'm trying to make a decision for the black Friday deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
slicky
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cadilac ATS-V

The engine will be fine from the addition. However, if there are any powertrain issues, BMW will not cover repairs. Regardless whether tuning had anything to do with it or not. Basically, you powertrain warranty for an major work will be gone. If its something minor, they may not check calibration and will go ahead and cover it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
LegoLots
Registered
Rep

I finally installed the racechip gts Black. I noticed the OEM Trq/HP/PSI gauges did change a bit. BUT, it's not reflecting what the gains of the racechip is supposed to produce. Stock the gauges HP/Trq would max out around the 330 range. After the racechip install it seems to top out around 360ish so I don't know what is exactly is going on. I was expecting the gauge (which tops out at 400) to max out. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts/experiences with this same setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #4
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoLots View Post
I finally installed the racechip gts Black. I noticed the OEM Trq/HP/PSI gauges did change a bit. BUT, it's not reflecting what the gains of the racechip is supposed to produce. Stock the gauges HP/Trq would max out around the 330 range. After the racechip install it seems to top out around 360ish so I don't know what is exactly is going on. I was expecting the gauge (which tops out at 400) to max out. Would love to hear other peoples thoughts/experiences with this same setup.
you can't see any change in the display because these values are calculated. These are estimated values, that are calculated in the DME from the current rpm and the torque assigned to that rpm for a specific pedal position.
(It‘s like a 3 dimensional matrix)
Since your box only fakes the values, the DME has no idea that there is more torque due to the increased boost pressure.
To get the „real“ values, that matrix should be changed in the DME. (Flash)
But as I said, it's only an estimated value…for example, the 45e's has significantly more power the declared (430-440 hp) but the display only goes up to 400 too.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoLots View Post
Which map are you using and what gas? I would imagine on Map 6 or below with pump gas you are likely only seeing a 25-30hp gain at redline. Map 7 on a blend of pump and e85 may get you 40-50hp.

I love my RC on my X5M but I am also realistic and there is no way I'm getting tbe 100+ hp increase that it advertises on Map7 on a e25 blend. I'm getting maybe 10% increase so 60ish on a good day.

On a custom tune with my M8 on e25 it made a 130 hp gain. But that's a flash. Huge difference between that a piggy that just tricks the ECU relative to the boost signal.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

We agree that traditional Chiptuning would be better, because we could set the values ​​more precisely.
These boxes just fakes the values of some sensors and let the DME to correct.
But regardless, they work surprisingly well.
As we know, tuning is very problematic for BMWs made after 2020, which is why the most famous companies offer such boxes too.
I currently use piggy box in 3 different cars (not RaceChip, but I think there is no big difference between the boxes).
I measured all three before and after, and the performance increase is roughly the same as the values ​​promised by the manufacturer. One of them is a Z4 M40i with the 340hp/500Nm engine, which should be the same as in the X5.
The vales are ( measured on RON95, that is the standard fuel in Europe):
Stock 360hp/542Nm
With box : 424/662Nm.

As I saw, RC promised +76hp, which would be about 416hp at the end (added to the declared 340hp). This is roughly the value I also measured.
Here is a video with the same engine in the Supra and similar numbers with RC (426hp).
https://youtu.be/SSce_PO0z4c

Otherwise, it can be checked quite easily. You have to measure the car at a higher speed acceleration and such a big power difference should be noticeable.
0-100km/h is not the most suitable for this, because there may be some additional traction problems, torque limitations in lower gears and during this time (5-6 sec) the possible thermical problems do not appear yet. 100-200km/h tells much more, but measuring this is obviously not so easy...
I guess you should get 3-4 sec better 100-200 then stock if you have 420hp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #7
LegoLots
Registered
Rep

Thanks kfer

Awesome info. Appreciate it. It answered all my questions
Appreciate 0