BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Gogators93
Rep
Drives: F-150 Platinum

Question on purchasing from a dealer not local

After designing and getting a build summary, I have sent an email to quite a few BMW dealerships on Florida and Georgia to get quotes. Some of them a quite far away and I have always purchased from someone local so not really sure how this works if I get a really good offer from someone several hundred miles away. So I have a couple of questions.

1. If someone goes out of their way to give me a really good quote, should I get my local dealer to try and match or beat it if they wouldn't deal with me? They will be the one servicing my car and I bought my last two vehicles from them. I know most dealerships could care less about being ethical, but doesn't mean I shouldn't if this would not be cool.

Big question. I get a great offer from the other end of the state. Can someone walk me through how this should go so I protect myself and make sure everything goes as it should? I don't have a clue other than assumptions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

What are your concerns?

What type of discounts were you offered locally?

Sometimes shopping for that extra ~1% off is fun and entertaining, but how much is your time worth?

If you're able to negotiate ~10% off, plus any applicable rebates on top of the discount, I'd say take it and move on with your day.
      11-04-2019, 01:27 AM   #3
NWAviator
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i

Just got done with an out of state order and it was flawless (so far). Dealers locally and in Oregon were a max discount on the 2020s of 5% - but was able to get 10% off from two different dealers in Maryland no haggling required. I did offer the local dealers a chance to compete, but none of them would budge so I moved ahead with one of the MD order.

In the end, my advisor could not negotiate a courtesy delivery in the Seattle area so he discounted the sales price further and I agreed to pick up part of the cost to ship (enclosed truck). All told, I'm at 9.5% before incentives, so still worth it.

Paperwork is all via courier and notary. About all that I'm nervous about is missing the opportunity to go over the car carefully before it ships, but my CA has offered pics of anything I need. There are several CA in the forum who are well-versed in working with out of state buyers. PM me if you want names I worked with or I missed any questions.

If you are in Florida, you might consider ordering from an out of state dealer but opting for PCD and enjoying both the discount and that experience. Not a terrible drive...
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Gogators93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
What are your concerns?

What type of discounts were you offered locally?

Sometimes shopping for that extra ~1% off is fun and entertaining, but how much is your time worth?

If you're able to negotiate ~10% off, plus any applicable rebates on top of the discount, I'd say take it and move on with your day.
Local dealer was only offering me about 3 percent discount and I have purchased my last two cars from him. I did get a reply from my email for their quote that I sent out to about 10 dealerships and a new guy quoted me 4.5% off with $900 dealer fee. I don't see buying from them. I have already received one other quote from a dealership about 2 hours away for 7% off so seeing where it goes.

I don't really have concerns except that I don't know the process and was just wondering how the process works.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

The dealer offering 7% discount.... any other fees? Ask them to work the deal so you know your payment. CA can do it in his computer on his desk. This way you'll see all fees, extras, etc. For 7% off I'd ask them waive their dealer fee. There's also incentives to be subtracted off the deal such as lease/finance rebates, loyalty.... Keep in mind in FL rebates are taxed (for the most part).

Are you leasing or buying? If buying are you financing? Get rates from dealer as they (often) mark up base BMWFS rates.
      11-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #6
Gogators93
Rep

Thanks. The 7% was just the first quote I received of about 10 requests I made but as my local isn't offering much, just asking questions as I anticipate I will be purchasing from a dealer remotely.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
poppop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i TBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogators93 View Post
Thanks. The 7% was just the first quote I received of about 10 requests I made but as my local isn't offering much, just asking questions as I anticipate I will be purchasing from a dealer remotely.
Hi,
I too will be offering my build to multi dealers in the
Tampa area, but will go as far as Ft Lauderdale if I have too. What area in FL are you contacting dealers? I also have a trade, which may muddy the waters, but I shall see. Good luck in your search for the best deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Tim2189
Russian in a Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogators93 View Post
After designing and getting a build summary, I have sent an email to quite a few BMW dealerships on Florida and Georgia to get quotes. Some of them a quite far away and I have always purchased from someone local so not really sure how this works if I get a really good offer from someone several hundred miles away. So I have a couple of questions.

1. If someone goes out of their way to give me a really good quote, should I get my local dealer to try and match or beat it if they wouldn't deal with me? They will be the one servicing my car and I bought my last two vehicles from them. I know most dealerships could care less about being ethical, but doesn't mean I shouldn't if this would not be cool.

Big question. I get a great offer from the other end of the state. Can someone walk me through how this should go so I protect myself and make sure everything goes as it should? I don't have a clue other than assumptions.

Thanks!
As mentioned above, it really depends on your savings, someone might give you a bigger discount but have a $699 doc or dealer fee so it doesnt really make sense.

I've shipped cars to florida from NYC, figure its abot 9% off sticker but shipping will cost you anywhere from 800-1000 in the winter months.
2018 X5 40e - retired
2020 X5 M50i - Current
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Gogators93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppop View Post
Hi,
I too will be offering my build to multi dealers in the
Tampa area, but will go as far as Ft Lauderdale if I have too. What area in FL are you contacting dealers? I also have a trade, which may muddy the waters, but I shall see. Good luck in your search for the best deal.
I'm in Jacksonville so I have gone all the way down the coast to Ft. Lauderdale and across to Tampa. Also his up into Georgia as I am close to the FL/GA line.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
Gogators93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2189 View Post
As mentioned above, it really depends on your savings, someone might give you a bigger discount but have a $699 doc or dealer fee so it doesnt really make sense.

I've shipped cars to florida from NYC, figure its abot 9% off sticker but shipping will cost you anywhere from 800-1000 in the winter months.
Yes, definitely looking at all variables. Doc Fees, Dealer Cost, Interest Rate and price. Taking all into consideration and then when I see everything laid out, convenience for what it takes to get the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #11
champkindwhammy
ChampKind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550iM

Dude just pick it up in Fort Lauderdale and blow the savings difference at Tootsies or Cheetah.
#winning
Appreciate 1