BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #1
BSchrades
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

Suggestions wanted- Build/Buy M50i

I'm ready to build and buy a M50i. I had a 2012 X5 35i previously and loved it but I bought it at auction. Any tips on the best way to approach dealers? it seems some people are starting to see around 10% off MSRP. I live in Iowa but I could pick up in Chicago or Minneapolis pretty easily. Below is my online build and assumed discounts:

Carbon black metallic
21"
Coffee extended
Fine wood ash
Premium package
*No need for DHP, I live in Iowa
Driver assistance professional
Leather dash
Heated seats & steering wheel
Shadow line trim

BMW online estimate:
-7,200: Off MRSP (Guessing I can figure out how to get 8%)
-1,000: Employer discount
-1,000: BMWCCA
-750: BMW credit
--------
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchrades View Post
I'm ready to build and buy a M50i. I had a 2012 X5 35i previously and loved it but I bought it at auction. Any tips on the best way to approach dealers? it seems some people are starting to see around 10% off MSRP. I live in Iowa but I could pick up in Chicago or Minneapolis pretty easily. Below is my online build and assumed discounts:

Carbon black metallic
21"
Coffee extended
Fine wood ash
Premium package
*No need for DHP, I live in Iowa
Driver assistance professional
Leather dash
Heated seats & steering wheel
Shadow line trim

BMW online estimate:
-7,200: Off MRSP (Guessing I can figure out how to get 8%)
-1,000: Employer discount
-1,000: BMWCCA
-750: BMW credit
--------
DHP is good for suburbia and highway ramps, it's not really performance oriented imo. If you don't like the floaty boaty feeling it's well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
DHP is good for suburbia and highway ramps, it's not really performance oriented imo. If you don't like the floaty boaty feeling it's well worth it.
The DHP has active roll stabilization, which keeps the car flat through corners. By keeping keeping the car flat, it's actually distributing the weight of the car to the wheels that are trying to "lift up" by pushing down on the wheels that are being compressed. This increases the traction for all the wheels. More traction equals more speed.

ARS will make taking on-ramps and windy roads more comfortable for everyday driving, but its 100% a performance upgrade intended for taking corners a lot faster than you typically could if you did not have very stiff roll bars, or in this case, active roll bars.

The M Adaptive suspension already does a very good job, IMO, on keeping the car flat on on-ramps, etc. Based on my test drive. Now keep in mind, I'm coming from an ML350, who's suspension is not sport orientated, so my baseline is different than someone coming from a 3-series looking to upgrade to a family hauler. I remember taking an on-ramp that I typically take with my ML at 40 mph, at 50 mph with the 50i (M50i's weren't out when I test drove), and thinking if the CA (and my wife) wasn't in the car I could easily take this ramp at 60 mph. That pretty much sold me right there. Now would DHP have made that experience better, I have no doubt. Without DHP, it was still darn exhilarating and impressive.
Appreciate 0