BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #23
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Having two young kids my own, I wouldn't spend money on Merino leather. Especially consider you'll need to put baby seat on top of that. My concern is durability (i.e. having baby seat on top of the leather), rather than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #24
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Last question (maybe): Phytonic blue with no running boards or dark graphite with running boards? The cars are identical otherwise - coffee vernasca leather and fine line brown wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #25
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
Last question (maybe): Phytonic blue with no running boards or dark graphite with running boards? The cars are identical otherwise - coffee vernasca leather and fine line brown wood trim.
Personal vote - graphite and coffee with running. If you have kids the boards will help out. You'll still be subjected to rocker panel dirty pants syndrome that's persistent with all generations of X5s. With running boards - slightly less so depending on how you skillfully exit LOL. Other bonus is the boards act as a shield against road debris, dirt, etc.

I was going to order PB with coffee, it's just not the right shade of to compliment PB. Coffee Vernasca has red and milky tones in day light. Coffee Merino is just a hint darker and richer.

Too bad tartufo currently limited to the X7s.

Though I'm partial to PB as I'm picking up my PB with IW/NB merino this weekend :woot:

Last edited by Auricom; 12-11-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #26
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

we have running boards on our F15. Never again lol. Why cant they have true retractable running boards like on the Lincolns or escalades? its a true hindrance and hard to make a graceful exit, imo. I vote Phytonic blue, it looks gorgeous in the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #27
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, the cheaper by $1000 guy wasn’t real so it’s back to the original deal with the local dealer. 11% ain’t bad! Now to get it locked in finally...!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #28
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Final final update:

One other dealer got back to me today with an offer for a car he had on his lot:

Black metallic exterior, coffee vernasca, fine line brown wood trim, drivers assistance pro package, parking assistance, premium package, rear window shades, and heated steering wheel and armrests. MSRP $69395.

So this car is basically perfect since it has all the items we want and none of the extras that we don’t want. Also since it is on his lot he was willing to make a slightly better deal - works out to 11.7% off MSRP plus another $1000 in incentives for total discount of 13.1% with the same roughly 4500 taxes and fees and monthly payment $685. Bottom line, I’m going for this one!! Seems unlikely I’ll do any better and it’s a lucky coincidence of car at a nearby dealer (10 miles so a little closer than the other but not down the street hah) with the right packages and willing to make a deal.

Thanks again for the help! Planning to pick it up in a couple of weeks right before Christmas, will post pictures then!
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
rebekahb3128.50
      12-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Glad it all worked out. Congratulations, good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

very nice. congratulations!!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #31
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Awesome, congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:12 AM   #32
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Picking the car up today!!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #33
BMWPenPen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Picking the car up today!!
Post some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #34
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Just a few to start -- ended up spending a few hours at the dealership, a few people ahead of us waiting to sign before we could get outta there and then hit traffic getting home. It is a sweet sweet ride tho!
Attached Images

Last edited by BeemerDreamerNYC; 01-17-2020 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 4
TurtleBoy12880.50
Auricom4349.50
thereef5101163.00
      12-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #35
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Happy holidays everyone!

Early impressions so far:

Overall very pleased with the car, very comfortable ride and it drives great! The self driving works very well for us though I haven't really used it much other than a little bit of adaptive cruise control going over bridges and other traffic-y areas. I've noticed that if you turn the system on while sitting in traffic (but not in the extended traffic jam mode) it doesn't prompt for wheel input very often even though not in the extended mode. The self parking is wild, a bit scary at first but has worked great!

The electronics are a little finicky and take getting used to, lots of settings etc which I am still tweaking. The HUD is great especially with navigation on and I am glad I got it. I am also surprised by how much I enjoy the heated steering wheel and armrests which are very comfy. Yesterday the swipe down menu (from the top of the screen) seemed to get stuck somehow in the down position (where you have the quick buttons to switch driver profile, display options, etc), but weirdly the buttons were disabled and touching any of them activated whatever button was hidden behind the drop down part. After a while it disappeared but it was very strange and restarting the car did not fix it; I am not sure what did.

The wireless integration with Apple CarPlay is nice but the car does not seem to respect the phone connection priority we have set up (My phone first on top and then my wife's as the 2nd priority, which I understood to mean that if both are present it tries to use mine first). It's not a huge issue as I can manually connect to mine after it connects to my wife's phone first, but a little weird. Also it doesn't seem like the priority is specific to the driver profile - I am a little unsure which settings and options are tied to the profile and which are not, more on that below.

I used Waze on my way home last night and it worked great though of course then you lose the NAV integration with the dash and HUD. One thing I've noticed is if you open the Waze app on your phone and leave it running even without active navigation it will warn you of upcoming road hazards and police. One potential solution then is to use the BMW navigation and just leave Waze open for the hazard warnings. Another idea would be to run both sets of navigation simultaneously but turn the BMW nav audible directions off so you can hear the Waze directions and follow them, but still have a mostly accurate map on the dash and HUD assuming the routes don't differ too much. The routing in the BMW navigation in Manhattan is not good with it often suggesting very long detours to get on the highway rather than take local streets.

One other question - with CarPlay activated it seems the BMW system does not have access to your phone book... incoming calls bring up the CarPlay interface and I cannot make outgoing calls to existing contacts using the voice assistant .. is that really the case or am I doing something wrong? One hack is if you hold the microphone button down it activates Siri which does have access and then dials from within the CarPlay interface.

Driver profiles: is there somewhere where I can find out what is exactly stored in the profile? Is there a way to set a default profile when the car turns on? I park in a garage with a valet who keeps the key, so I cannot attach my profile to one key and my wife's to the other key as it is always the same key in use. When I parked last night I put the car in valet mode so we'll see next time I get in if it prompts us to choose a profile. Otherwise it may be simpler to share one profile and just store our individual seat and mirror settings in the seat memory buttons. Curious how others have handled this.

For anyone else in the city who has had to use valet parking (which is admittedly super convenient to have the car right downstairs, and it is parked right in front so I almost feel like I should be able to just take my key and get in and go, but whatever) - do you tip every time you take or park the car? I wasn't expecting to but it seems like the attendants are a bit expectant, I don't know. Also last night they handed me a card with everyones names and pictures on it (keep in mind have been there for 4 days now) so Christmas tips are expected for sure. Any input to how much? I'm thinking that if we do Christmas tips that should be sufficient for the year and tipping each time wouldn't be necessary, but I don't really know.

Thanks for the input and help thus far, we're really loving the car so far! I know it seems like I've written a lot above but overall these are very minor nits and it's more about learning the quirks of how to interact and interface with the car and system.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #36
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Quote:
Hi all- this forum has a wealth of information and has been very helpful so far while I piece together my desired build for a potential X5 order. So far I have the following:

2020 X5 xDrive40i:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Standard wheels
Black Vernasca Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood trim

Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Parking Assistance Package
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel

MSRP for this build comes to just under $68k and I’ll be targeting around a 10% discount before incentives (only qualify for USAA as I don’t currently have a car - NYC based and this would be a total splurge).

Anyway, I have some room to play if I want but I am not totally sure that I’m sold on any of the other extras. A few questions:

How durable is the leather and is there a big difference in quality / comfort between the Veronasca and Merino or just bragging rights as the more expensive has a nicer looking (to me) stitch pattern? The test drive car actually just had the sensatec which apart from the general disbelief of not having leather standard in a car with this price point actually felt pretty nice. Reason I ask on durability is my wife is pregnant with our first child and there’s a likelihood of some spills to say the least, lol.

Is the HUD worth the $1200 upgrade fee to the premium package? It was definitely cool but also a bit distracting - maybe you get used to it - I liked that the sat radio stations appeared when using the steering wheel changer ... can you configure the dash to display the same? Otherwise the dash does show the navigation so it doesn’t seem that necessary. But it was cool. This is one of the items I’m most torn about.

Seats - I know there have been some threads on the virtues and drawbacks of the multicontour seats. First, are the standard seats the so called “sport seats” I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere? It seems most find the multi contour seats to be more comfortable (apart from headrest depth setting) - how do they compare in terms of lower back support? I have a bad back and tend to get sore during long car rides and thought the standard seats in the test car were nice and provided firm support for the lower back and I may be concerned about not liking the upgrades seats unless I got a chance to test drive those also.

Wheels - I’ve seen a lot of love for the 20” wheels, tho it seems that most also suggest pairing it with the air suspension. Again I’ll probably have to drive a model with the air suspension to get a feel for it. As it was I enjoyed how the standard wheels and suspension drove / rode - handled well, road noise wasn’t noticing loud, and cornering felt good and tight while still providing a comfy ride overall. Would the air suspension be too soft with the standard wheel setup?

Are either of the upgraded stereo options worth it? The normal stereo sounded good apart from when I connected my phone to Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth and played music from Spotify. Tho I have the highest quality files saved on my phone the Bluetooth always generates a degradation in sound quality as the bandwidth isn’t high enough to stream the full quality (lesser compressed) versions. It would be better if we could connect our phones to the car via WiFi (similar to how Sonos works). Is that even an option? Or is there an option to play music from Spotify from the phone while it is connected by cable? That would solve the audio quality as well.

Anyway, it is really a next level car and especially with the autonomous driving features should be a pleasure on long road trips. But it is clearly easy to go overboard with the options tho this build I out together is relatively economical. Looking forward to your input on m my questions and thank you again for taking the time to read and respond!!
Quote:
Hi all- this forum has a wealth of information and has been very helpful so far while I piece together my desired build for a potential X5 order. So far I have the following:

2020 X5 xDrive40i:
Dark Graphite Metallic
Standard wheels
Black Vernasca Leather
Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood trim

Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Parking Assistance Package
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel

MSRP for this build comes to just under $68k and I'll be targeting around a 10% discount before incentives (only qualify for USAA as I don't currently have a car - NYC based and this would be a total splurge).

Anyway, I have some room to play if I want but I am not totally sure that I'm sold on any of the other extras. A few questions:

How durable is the leather and is there a big difference in quality / comfort between the Veronasca and Merino or just bragging rights as the more expensive has a nicer looking (to me) stitch pattern? The test drive car actually just had the sensatec which apart from the general disbelief of not having leather standard in a car with this price point actually felt pretty nice. Reason I ask on durability is my wife is pregnant with our first child and there's a likelihood of some spills to say the least, lol.

Is the HUD worth the $1200 upgrade fee to the premium package? It was definitely cool but also a bit distracting - maybe you get used to it - I liked that the sat radio stations appeared when using the steering wheel changer ... can you configure the dash to display the same? Otherwise the dash does show the navigation so it doesn't seem that necessary. But it was cool. This is one of the items I'm most torn about.

Seats - I know there have been some threads on the virtues and drawbacks of the multicontour seats. First, are the standard seats the so called "sport seats" I've seen mentioned elsewhere? It seems most find the multi contour seats to be more comfortable (apart from headrest depth setting) - how do they compare in terms of lower back support? I have a bad back and tend to get sore during long car rides and thought the standard seats in the test car were nice and provided firm support for the lower back and I may be concerned about not liking the upgrades seats unless I got a chance to test drive those also.

Wheels - I've seen a lot of love for the 20" wheels, tho it seems that most also suggest pairing it with the air suspension. Again I'll probably have to drive a model with the air suspension to get a feel for it. As it was I enjoyed how the standard wheels and suspension drove / rode - handled well, road noise wasn't noticing loud, and cornering felt good and tight while still providing a comfy ride overall. Would the air suspension be too soft with the standard wheel setup?

Are either of the upgraded stereo options worth it? The normal stereo sounded good apart from when I connected my phone to Apple CarPlay over Bluetooth and played music from Spotify. Tho I have the highest quality files saved on my phone the Bluetooth always generates a degradation in sound quality as the bandwidth isn't high enough to stream the full quality (lesser compressed) versions. It would be better if we could connect our phones to the car via WiFi (similar to how Sonos works). Is that even an option? Or is there an option to play music from Spotify from the phone while it is connected by cable? That would solve the audio quality as well.

Anyway, it is really a next level car and especially with the autonomous driving features should be a pleasure on long road trips. But it is clearly easy to go overboard with the options tho this build I out together is relatively economical. Looking forward to your input on m my questions and thank you again for taking the time to read and respond!!
Definitely get the premium package. It's amazing and compliments the driver assist pro really well, aside from all the other benefits, most importantly safety. With all the ppl driving and texting, it helps keep your eyes on the road and other cars. I bought this car to keep my family safe and after it recently saved my life in a wreck, I'll never drive anything else.
      02-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #37
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5TXguyG05 View Post
Definitely get the premium package. It's amazing and compliments the driver assist pro really well, aside from all the other benefits, most importantly safety. With all the ppl driving and texting, it helps keep your eyes on the road and other cars. I bought this car to keep my family safe and after it recently saved my life in a wreck, I'll never drive anything else.
Agreed on the premium package. The HUD is great and I wouldn’t get another BMW without it. I’m happy with the standard seats / leather - I actually prefer the standard seats to the multicontours so that ruled out the upgraded leather option.

The only thing I would do different next time is go for the HK sound system, the standard speakers are a little underwhelming. Also the heated steering wheel is an unexpected nice to have.
Appreciate 0