BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exclamation SOLVED - No volume playing over USB and Bluetooth - what the Heck???

***SOLVED***
Thanks to mitch57 below for the tip - just "reset" iDrive by holding down the volume button/dial for 20-30 seconds

Two days ago the volume “went out” in my 2019 X5 when playing over USB and also when playing over Bluetooth.
I started up my car like normal in the morning and got no volume when playing files from my USB flash drive. It had worked perfectly up until then - all the tracks and files appear on the drive and everything shows up fine (titles, albums, album art, tracks in order, etc.). The tracks even appear to “play” (song duration time lapses) but there is simply. Volume even appears to go up and down like normal when adjusted – crazy!

I removed the flash drive, let the car sit while at work, and plugged it back in on the drive home. All my files showed up just fine, but the volume issue was still there.

I successfully tested the flash drive on three different PCs and it works fine (files transfer, playing from the drive, etc.).

I tried an entirely different USB flash drive but have the same problem – no volume.

I have the same problem using both the center console USB Type-C port and the cupholder Type-A port.

Thinking this was just a fluke, I tried Bluetooth streaming over my phone. Same thing – files and titles appear to be playing, but there is no volume. This occurs using YouTube, Pandora, or songs stored on my phone. I deleted and re-added my phone as a Bluetooth device, but that didn’t help. I connected an entirely different phone as well. Same thing – no volume. Calls over Bluetooth work fine though – I can hear the other party and the other party can hear me.

Volume works as it should with FM, AM, and XM radio, however. So there’s that.

I recently had the following warranty work done on my X5 (about three weeks ago). Please correct me if there is a clearer way to denote this:
B663319 recall (camera)
B651919 recall (software quality update)
B611319 recall (dual storage system)

My current software version reads: 11/2019.41.

It’s worth mentioning that I had no volume issues with USB or Bluetooth directly after picking my car up from this service or before dropping the car off. Everything worked fine.

Had it just been my USB going out I might think I damaged the port (despite only removing the USB drive once a month, if that) or my drive was bad, etc. But both USB AND Bluetooth going out at the same time, on the same day, during the same drive to work? Something is going on.

Thoughts? I would love to fix this myself without having to leave the car with a dealer. This is very disappointing, as I have always had all my music with me in my car, either on a flash drive, SD card, or an ipod back in the day. This is a big deal to me! I was very impressed by how well it worked when it did work.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by jimmiebimmer; 02-18-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

do all the other sounds work? we had a similar issue with our F15 except no sounds worked. eventually they figured out it was the amp that died.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
do all the other sounds work? we had a similar issue with our F15 except no sounds worked. eventually they figured out it was the amp that died.

Yes, that I have noticed - beeps from the bumper proximity sensors, the usual startup bongs, etc. And of course volume from FM, XM, and AM radio as well.

Can you share any additional info on your situation? Thanks for your input!

Last edited by jimmiebimmer; 02-18-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 11:43 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiebimmer View Post
Yes, that I have noticed - beeps from the bumper proximity sensors, the usual startup bongs, etc. And of course volume from FM, XM, and AM radio as well.

Can you share any additional info on your situation? Thanks for your input!
1+ year into ownership of our x5 35i (F15) with the HK system, all sounds stopped coming through the speakers. not just media audio, but the chimes, and alert warnings etc, everything. it was intermittent, so I couldn't always reproduce it. My mom was the first one to notice it and bring it to my attention which I dismissed right away as her pushing the mute button or something equally foolish.

fortunately one day it was off when I started up and stayed off, and i immediately took it to the dealer in that condition and made them come out with a video camera/recording device to document it so they believed me when I told them what was happening. It took them 3 tries of promising it was fixed just for me to pick it up and see it wasn't (they did various software resets thinking that was the issue except it wasnt, it was a hardware issue all along), until they realized it was the amp that was cutting out for whatever reason. They ordered and installed a new amp and since then it has been flawless.

my situation in the f15 is a bit different than yours, since it was the amp, and not some short in a line. it wasn't the biggest issue because 1. it was under warranty 2. i had it documented 3. the dealer kept giving us loaner cars

I hope it works out for you. I hope you're able to convince your dealer that it's a legitimate issue that they should focus on
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
panas
Rep
Drives: none yet (F10 in near future)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
1+ year into ownership of our x5 35i (F15) with the HK system, all sounds stopped coming through the speakers. not just media audio, but the chimes, and alert warnings etc, everything. it was intermittent, so I couldn't always reproduce it. My mom was the first one to notice it and bring it to my attention which I dismissed right away as her pushing the mute button or something equally foolish.

fortunately one day it was off when I started up and stayed off, and i immediately took it to the dealer in that condition and made them come out with a video camera/recording device to document it so they believed me when I told them what was happening. It took them 3 tries of promising it was fixed just for me to pick it up and see it wasn't (they did various software resets thinking that was the issue except it wasnt, it was a hardware issue all along), until they realized it was the amp that was cutting out for whatever reason. They ordered and installed a new amp and since then it has been flawless.

my situation in the f15 is a bit different than yours, since it was the amp, and not some short in a line. it wasn't the biggest issue because 1. it was under warranty 2. i had it documented 3. the dealer kept giving us loaner cars

I hope it works out for you. I hope you're able to convince your dealer that it's a legitimate issue that they should focus on
My car is only 5 days old and about 300km driven. 2 days ago driver assistance malfunction appeared, and all audio stopped to work as well. There is no any sound at all. No phone, no navi commands, no parking alerts, no radio etc... All radio stations was removed, and now I even can't find them manually. One thing I can hear all the time is a tick every 1s. Anybody had such a problem ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panas View Post
My car is only 5 days old and about 300km driven. 2 days ago driver assistance malfunction appeared, and all audio stopped to work as well. There is no any sound at all. No phone, no navi commands, no parking alerts, no radio etc... All radio stations was removed, and now I even can't find them manually. One thing I can hear all the time is a tick every 1s. Anybody had such a problem ?
Wow, that sounds like a mess. Same with no volume whatsoever - infotainment volume or "system" sounds.

One more situation with no audio for me - the "Caring Car" routines. I don't use these at all (and I can't imagine any living person actually would), but I have no audio on these as well.

Hardware problems can be easy to diagnose. Since my issue is no audio with the USB, Bluetooth, and now "Caring Car" system, I imagine it will be a tougher software problem to diagnose.

Glad this truck is still under warranty for a few more years!

If anyone has any other input, I'd love to hear it!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Mine loses audio via Bluetooth about once per week. Like you, the radio still works and the warning beeps/navigation/etc., all still work. I found that rebooting iDrive fixes it every time for me which indicates a software glitch most likely.

To reboot iDrive just press and hold in the volume button for about 20 to 30 seconds until the screen goes black. The black screen indicates that iDrive has rebooted. When it comes back up your audio should come back if you have the same problem that I have.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Mine loses audio via Bluetooth about once per week. Like you, the radio still works and the warning beeps/navigation/etc., all still work. I found that rebooting iDrive fixes it every time for me which indicates a software glitch most likely.

To reboot iDrive just press and hold in the volume button for about 20 to 30 seconds until the screen goes black. The black screen indicates that iDrive has rebooted. When it comes back up your audio should come back if you have the same problem that I have.
WOW, thank you. This worked perfectly. Both USB and Bluetooth audio have been restored and appear to work normally. I will report back in a few days with whether or not everything is still OK.

Not having to take my car is in a huge relief - you never know what goes on at a shop.

Just to help others, what version is your iDrive and what recalls have been done? Maybe this can assist others in troubleshooting in the future.

As I said before, I have had the following recalls done recently:
B663319 recall (camera)

Thanks so much!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
WOW, thank you. This worked perfectly. Both USB and Bluetooth audio have been restored and appear to work normally. I will report back in a few days with whether or not everything is still OK.

Not having to take my car is in a huge relief - you never know what goes on at a shop.

Just to help others, what version is your iDrive and what recalls have been done? Maybe this can assist others in troubleshooting in the future.

As I said before, I have had the following recalls done recently:
B663319 recall (camera)

Thanks so much!
No recalls on my vehicle. I special ordered my X7 and took delivery in the middle of November 2019. I'm on software version 07/2019.59. I haven't had any service done yet as my vehicle only has 5K on it presently.

I'm using an android Samsung Note 8 just in case this is an android only related problem which it might be.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:
No recalls on my vehicle. I special ordered my X7 and took delivery in the middle of November 2019. I'm on software version 07/2019.59. I haven't had any service done yet as my vehicle only has 5K on it presently.

I'm using an android Samsung Note 8 just in case this is an android only related problem which it might be.
I'm glad you mentioned Android. My primary phone is Android as well. But when I paired an iPhone 8 Plus (backup phone), I had the same problem. [EDIT] iPhone works as well, in addition to Android in my car.

Total bummer there is no Android Auto, by the way. Pretty inexcusable oversight in my opinion, but not a deal-breaker. It would look great on the large display!

Last edited by jimmiebimmer; 02-20-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned Android. My primary phone is Android as well. But when I paired an iPhone 8 Plus (backup phone), I had the same problem. I will check this evening to ensure the iPhone works as it should. Although I expect it does since everything appears back to normal for the time being.

Total bummer there is no Android Auto, by the way. Pretty inexcusable oversight in my opinion, but not a deal-breaker. It would look great on the large display!
Android Auto is coming in July. So you will eventually get this feature.

Since you have both android and iPhones this is definitely a problem with the iDrive. I'm sure it's just a software bug. However, EVERYONE who has this issue needs to complain to BMW or it will never get fixed.

I'm a tech person for a living so I can usually figure most of this stuff out but I can't fix it. This is why automakers get bad reviews. The average non technical person just gets frustrated with the technology when it doesn't work. The auto industry needs to do way better and stop believing that the Engineers know best. They don't!

The auto industry should be soliciting every day people from all age groups to do their Alpha and Beta testing. Not relying on their paid workers to blow smoke up there ass and tell them how great this will be and how much every one will love it. They also need to "Outlaw" the bean counters from making technical decisions as well. Take a look at how well the bean counters and engineers did with 3D television. They've been pushing it for years and every time it comes to market again it fails. Time to wake the "F" up and listen to the consumers who actually use and buy all of these technologies.

Automaker's need to come to the realization that technology is now an integral part of the vehicle. Make it work! Make it simple! Make it simple for everyone. Not just the young but the baby boomers and the old people as well. Stop designing technology around the under 40 year olds and design it for all generations.

Rant OFF!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      02-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
jimmiebimmer
Private
Rep

Quote:

Since you have both android and iPhones this is definitely a problem with the iDrive. I'm sure it's just a software bug. However, EVERYONE who has this issue needs to complain to BMW or it will never get fixed.

I'm a tech person for a living so I can usually figure most of this stuff out but I can't fix it. This is why automakers get bad reviews. The average non technical person just gets frustrated with the technology when it doesn't work. The auto industry needs to do way better and stop believing that the Engineers know best. They don't!

The auto industry should be soliciting every day people from all age groups to do their Alpha and Beta testing. Not relying on their paid workers to blow smoke up there ass and tell them how great this will be and how much every one will love it. They also need to "Outlaw" the bean counters from making technical decisions as well. Take a look at how well the bean counters and engineers did with 3D television. They've been pushing it for years and every time it comes to market again it fails. Time to wake the "F" up and listen to the consumers who actually use and buy all of these technologies.

Automaker's need to come to the realization that technology is now an integral part of the vehicle. Make it work! Make it simple! Make it simple for everyone. Not just the young but the baby boomers and the old people as well. Stop designing technology around the under 40 year olds and design it for all generations.

Rant OFF!
Good rant! I agree with most of it. I do think "standardizing" around Carplay and Android Auto should help simplify things for users. But it ultimately depends how well they are implemented at the OEM level.

I consider myself a "tech person" as well, though it's just a hobby and rarely bleeds into my professional life. Which I guess means I know just enough to be dangerous but certainly not enough to make a living from it.

Your sentiment isn't lost on dealers and other stakeholders. After the dealer did all the software recalls I mentioned above, my tech said "yeah these are now just computers with wheels" and that a very big chunk of service stuff he goes through is iDrive-related. My neighbor's G30 (B58 in my car and his; we're engine buddies!) said he's about done with his because the gauge cluster is constantly messing up. Like, he can't see basic stuff such as "speed" and "turn signals." Dealer repairs are not fixing it. Not good!

I didn't get a chance to test iPhone after resetting, but I will and I'll report back.

Now that I think about it, I feel kind of silly about this whole thing. As a "tech guy", the standard first troubleshooting step is ALWAYS "turn off, turn back on."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #13
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Rant OFF!
Good rant! I agree with most of it. I do think "standardizing" around Carplay and Android Auto should help simplify things for users. But it ultimately depends how well they are implemented at the OEM level.

Now that I think about it, I feel kind of silly about this whole thing. As a "tech guy", the standard first troubleshooting step is ALWAYS "turn off, turn back on."
A couple of points:

- yes, excellent rant, completely agree (even as an engineer designing products for humans, teaching other engineers real UX (and not just textbook and artsy wannabe BS) is extremely difficult, most just don't get it, technical competence is not even slightly an indication of UX competence)

- "under 40s" are going to have trouble with bad UX as well, let's not leave them out of good design

- I don't agree that standardizing around CarPlay and/or Android Auto is a good idea for cars; those interfaces are highly biased towards touchscreen smartphone use and that interface is inappropriate and downright dangerous for moving cars; simple, consistent haptic interfaces without the absolute requirement of touch systems for visual UI location and feedback are essential for drivers and neither Apple nor Google get it

- yes, reboot iDrive is the first advice for any iDrive 7 system defect, lots of threads on that; if it makes one feel any better, the need to do so has gone from twice weekly to around every two weeks as of 11/2019.xx software relative to 11/2018.xx and 3/2019.xx versions
      02-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
A couple of points:

- yes, excellent rant, completely agree (even as an engineer designing products for humans, teaching other engineers real UX (and not just textbook and artsy wannabe BS) is extremely difficult, most just don't get it, technical competence is not even slightly an indication of UX competence)

- "under 40s" are going to have trouble with bad UX as well, let's not leave them out of good design

- I don't agree that standardizing around CarPlay and/or Android Auto is a good idea for cars; those interfaces are highly biased towards touchscreen smartphone use and that interface is inappropriate and downright dangerous for moving cars; simple, consistent haptic interfaces without the absolute requirement of touch systems for visual UI location and feedback are essential for drivers and neither Apple nor Google get it

- yes, reboot iDrive is the first advice for any iDrive 7 system defect, lots of threads on that; if it makes one feel any better, the need to do so has gone from twice weekly to around every two weeks as of 11/2019.xx software relative to 11/2018.xx and 3/2019.xx versions
You are absolutely correct about touch screen interfaces. Especially in cars. I still use a hard button remote for my home theater as well. I can control everything in the theater by touch alone. No need to look away from the screen.

It should be the same way with cars. They are more dangerous now with all the tech then they were 10 years ago. Even with all the autonomous features. By the way, there is no such thing as an autonomous vehicle. It's coming but it's still years away.
Appreciate 0