02-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #23
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ok, you've got the air suspension, the SA told me yesterday when we were looking at the X5 to simply get the air suspension and lower it before getting in and out. I saw a few issues with this, can you shed more light on them for me?

1. It took approx 30 seconds for the car to fully lower. My thoughts are that over time, you will stop waiting for it to lower and just put up with getting out without lowering it.

2. No prob lowering it when you are about to get out but how do you lower it before getting in? The SA couldn't make it happen, he couldn't even get the seat to auto lower upon detecting the key which he said he assigned the lowering profile to.

3. Do you also lower the drivers seat before getting in and out? Again, no prob doing that before getting out but how do you do it before getting in?

I just think all this lowering/raising will get old and you'd stop doing it or it will cause something to fail just that much sooner. Its easier to buy platform shoes
1) Well, we have a baby, so that 30 sec. is easy be waited out. lol.. not sure about long term, but been fine for us so far.
2) if you lower it to get out prior, the car stays lowered for the next time you get it. I usually hit the lowering toggle right after I park or turn off the car
3) Never tried lower the seat yet, so not an issue

I actually like to see the car lowered when parked yes, only thing i'm afraid of is wearing out the air suspension because we use it so much. hope if it does break, its before the 4 year warranty expires. actually posted on another thread about this concern and a few stated not to worry too much. it is only a car after all. not going to get that option and not use it
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #24
cszekl
LOVE BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M340I Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M340  [0.00]
I'm new to the forum. What I've used is Adams Leather conditioner two to three times a year on my BMW's. I haven't experienced the problem your having by doing that. Make sure whatever product you are using is providing good uv protection. Goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
cszekl
LOVE BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M340I Xdrive

Garage List
2022 M340  [0.00]
My 2020 X5 running boards are experiencing small rust spots on both of them. Are you experiencing that on yours by chance? It's winter where I live so I don't have the opportunities to take care of as of yet.

Last edited by cszekl; 02-04-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszekl View Post
I'm new to the forum. What I've used is Adams Leather conditioner two to three times a year on my BMW's. I haven't experienced the problem your having by doing that. Make sure whatever product you are using is providing good uv protection. Goodluck.
We do use highly recommended leather conditioner by fellow members here. Problem is not the leather getting old or UV, but the constant rubbing of the seats while getting in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszekl View Post
My 2020 X5 running boards are experiencing small rust spots on both of them. Are you experiencing that on yours by chance? It's winter where I live so I don't have the opportunities to take care of as of yet.
We have the Msport pack, so no running boards on ours.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
1) Well, we have a baby, so that 30 sec. is easy be waited out. lol.. not sure about long term, but been fine for us so far.
2) if you lower it to get out prior, the car stays lowered for the next time you get it. I usually hit the lowering toggle right after I park or turn off the car
3) Never tried lower the seat yet, so not an issue

I actually like to see the car lowered when parked yes, only thing i'm afraid of is wearing out the air suspension because we use it so much. hope if it does break, its before the 4 year warranty expires. actually posted on another thread about this concern and a few stated not to worry too much. it is only a car after all. not going to get that option and not use it
dream54ing, backatcha on this topic. I went back to the dealer yesterday, armed with your answers to our entrance/exit issue and wanted to see your method in person.
Not unusual, the dealer was not able to either show me or explain how the car will maintain its lowered position after exit so its still lowered upon the next entry. So, here are a couple more questions for you.

- What size wheels and tires do you have? (every half inch makes a diff)

- You said you lower the suspension before getting out...do you do that before or after you shut the engine off?

- You then get out and lock the car and the air suspension stays in the lowest height while the car is locked, correct? No matter how long before you unlock it, it stays lowered, correct? (just wondering if after a set time, it auto reverts back to the middle height)

- Can you assign the drivers seat height to your key fob profile so as soon as you unlock the door and before you get in, the seat lowers? Can you make it lower with that same key fob profile as you lock it upon exit and have it stay in that position till you get back in?

We got in and out of the X5 yesterday several times and by the end of our testing, the back of my wife's legs were hurting. Ok, so in reality, we would not be getting in and out in succession like we did yesterday but would still like to explore the best purchase option to minimize this issue. So I am of the opinion that I need to go with with 19" wheels coupled with the air suspension and then program the key fob to lower the seat upon entry/exit. Ugh!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #28
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

My personal experience to your questions below, Marty:

Quote:
- You said you lower the suspension before getting out...do you do that before or after you shut the engine off?
I primarily drive with air suspension in Sport level - notch between Normal and Load level. This makes lowering from Sport to Load level short.

When I park, I hit the 2VR toggle to lower it to Load level, then hit the engine shut off button. Or you can shut off the engine and hit the toggle. There's vehicle residual power to lower it.

The passenger can open their door before it finishes lowering. If the driver opens their door before it finishes lowering, it will stop lowering and display a message on the iDrive control display.

The time it takes to lower from Sport level to Load level is short - under 15 secs. If you're lowering from Normal level to Load level, be prepared to wait a little longer - 30 secs.

Quote:
- You then get out and lock the car and the air suspension stays in the lowest height while the car is locked, correct? No matter how long before you unlock it, it stays lowered, correct? (just wondering if after a set time, it auto reverts back to the middle height)
Yes, if you lower it to Load level, shut off, and lock it - it will stay in Load level. It will not auto revert back to Normal mode at any time.

The next time you head out, when you unlock get into the vehicle, turn it on - it will stay in Load level until you press the accelerator to drive off.

BUT if you press any of the Driving Experience Controls - Comfort, Sport, Eco or hit the air suspension toggle it will adjust to the level selected.

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #29
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
My personal experience to your questions below, Marty:

I primarily drive with air suspension in Sport level - notch between Normal and Load level. This makes lowering from Sport to Load level relatively short.

When I park, I hit the 2VR toggle to lower it to Load level, then hit the engine shut off button. Or you can shut off the engine and hit the toggle. There's residual power to lower it.

The passenger can open their door before it finishes lowering. If the driver opens their down before it finishes lower, it will stop lower and display a message on the iDrive control display.

The time it takes to lower from Sport level to Load level is short - under 15 secs. If you're lowering from Normal level to Load level, be prepared to wait a little longer - 30 secs.

Yes, if you lower it to Load level, shut off, and lock it - it will stay in Load level. It will not auto revert back to Normal mode at any time.

The next time you head out, when you unlock get into the vehicle, turn it on - it will stay in Load level until you press the accelerator to drive off.

BUT if you press any of the Driving Experience Controls - Comfort, Sport, Eco or hit the air suspension toggle it will adjust to the level selected.
Thanks much Auricom,
The air suspension seems pretty flexible but the only X5 we have had to test it on at the dealer was a 50i with 21" wheels so even at its lowest height, my wife still had entry/exit issues. I've been trying to find one with 19" wheels and air suspension but have not been lucky yet.

Can you also possibly address my questions on the key fob/seat height and how that would work?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #30
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks much Auricom,
The air suspension seems pretty flexible but the only X5 we have had to test it on at the dealer was a 50i with 21" wheels so even at its lowest height, my wife still had entry/exit issues. I've been trying to find one with 19" wheels and air suspension but have not been lucky yet.
If I recall for all X5 40/50i wheel/tire size combinations, the overall wheel/tire size are the same from 19" to 21" though maybe slight variations in height BUT the standard ground clearance for X5 40i/50i with air or M sport suspensions and for all tire/wheel size combinations.

X5 M50i with standard M Adaptive or DHP with M Adaptive Pro is 8.3" whereas X5 M50i with 2VR is 8.7" - this is for all 20" to 22" wheel/tire size combinations.

Load level for all X5 40i/50i/M50i with air suspension is 7.125"

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=22

TLDR;

40i M Sport with M Adaptive is equivalent to 2VR-air Normal height - 8.7"

M50i with standard M Adaptive or DHP with Adaptive M Pro is equivalent to 2VR-air Dynamic height - 8.3"

40i M Sport and M50i with 2VR-air in Sport mode provides the lowest drivable ground height - 7.9"

Quote:
Can you also possibly address my questions on the key fob/seat height and how that would work?
I haven't tried this out but for each driver profile, two memory locations with different settings can be set.

Your wife could store:
Memory 1: Entry/Exit settings, eg lowest seat height
Memory 2: Drive settings, eg her driving seat height, angle etc.

Her key fob would invoke whichever memory setting she last used or it may default to Memory 1 - can't recall.

For entry: X5 would be in Load level. Unlocking with comfort access or fob would invoke Memory 1 - lowest seat setting for entry. Once inside, she would hit the Memory 2 to invoke seat height for driving.

Existing: Set vehicle to park, set air suspension to Load level, hit Memory 1 for entry/exit seat height, turn off vehicle at any time - don't open driver door until Load level is complete.

To set up multiple ConnectDrive driver profiles to store memory settings, what you'll want to do is when you take delivery:

1. Set up your ConnectDrive account with a primary subscriber and secondary subscriber
2. Primary subscriber would be you
3. Secondary subscriber would be your wife

This allows you associate a driver profile for each remote and auto switch to that driver profile to recall seating position, exterior mirror position, steering wheel position, height of heads up, iDrive, media etc.

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #31
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't tried this out but for each driver profile, two memory locations with different settings can be set.

Your wife could store:
Memory 1: Entry/Exit settings, eg lowest seat height
Memory 2: Drive settings, eg her driving seat height, angle etc.

Her key fob would invoke whichever memory setting she last used or it may default to Memory 1 - can't recall.

For entry: X5 would be in Load level. Unlocking with comfort access or fob would invoke Memory 1 - lowest seat setting for entry. Once inside, she would hit the Memory 2 to invoke seat height for driving.

Existing: Set vehicle to park, set air suspension to Load level, hit Memory 1 for entry/exit seat height, turn off vehicle at any time - don't open driver door until Load level is complete.

To set up multiple ConnectDrive driver profiles to store memory settings, what you'll want to do is when you take delivery:

1. Set up your ConnectDrive account with a primary subscriber and secondary subscriber
2. Primary subscriber would be you
3. Secondary subscriber would be your wife

This allows you associate a driver profile for each remote and auto switch to that driver profile to recall seating position, exterior mirror position, steering wheel position, height of heads up, iDrive, media etc.
Thanks again Auricom...
Just to confirm my understanding...in terms of ground clearance. If the base ground clearance is 8.7" for example, are you saying that the air suspension option lowers the car below that to 7.5" at its lowest height setting?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #32
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again Auricom...
Just to confirm my understanding...in terms of ground clearance. If the base ground clearance is 8.7" for example, are you saying that the air suspension option lowers the car below that to 7.5" at its lowest height setting?
Yes, Sir with a correction because I'm a dork and goofed transcribing numbers.

Correction: 2VR in lowest height setting (Load level), ground clearance is reduced to 7.125"

X5 40i/50i/M50i with 2VR - Level Heights and Ground Clearances

Off-road level = +40mm/+1.575in, 10.275" GC
High level = +20mm/+0.787in, 9.487" GC
Normal level = 0mm / 0in, 8.7in" GC
Dynamic level (not user selectable and over 87mph) = -10mm/-0.393in, 9.093" GC
Sport level = -20mm/-0.787in, 7.913" GC
Load level = -40mm/-1.575in, 7.125" GC

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #33
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Sir with a correction because I'm a dork and goofed transcribing numbers.

Correction: 2VR in lowest height setting (Load level), ground clearance is reduced to 7.125"

X5 40i/50i/M50i with 2VR - Level Heights and Ground Clearances

Off-road level = +40mm/+1.575in, 10.275" GC
High level = +20mm/+0.787in, 9.487" GC
Normal level = 0mm / 0in, 8.7in" GC
Dynamic level (not user selectable and over 87mph) = -10mm/-0.393in, 9.093" GC
Sport level = -20mm/-0.787in, 7.913" GC
Load level = -40mm/-1.575in, 7.125" GC
Gotcha....just wanted a real owner to confirm since dealers don't assign profiles and have not been able to demonstrate it. I think the combo of air suspension and lowering the seat is as good as its going to get. Surely, we will spend 98% of the time driving the car and only 2% getting in and out when on trips. Thanks for digging up the info and posting, much appreciated!

So I guess what you're saying is they compensate for the diff between a 19" or a 22" tire by the sidewall height alone, right? So in the case between a 19 and 22", the 1.5" is sidewall height and the ground clearance stays the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #34
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha....just wanted a real owner to confirm since dealers don't assign profiles and have not been able to demonstrate it.
Just make sure you complete the primary and secondary subscriber info for BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive contract. See enclosed example form - there might be a newer form but it gives you an idea. Or you can always call BMW Connected later and add her as a secondary subscriber. Your wife will have her own BMW Connected Login:

- it's a limited account that's used for backing up Driver Profile settings to the cloud
- BMW Assist in case she's in an accident
- she can download the BMW Connect app to her phone and sign in there too
- you'll use to her log in bro to set up her Driver Profile in iDrive and associate with her remote

Name:  01581892883.png
Views: 315
Size:  360.9 KB

Quote:
I think the combo of air suspension and lowering the seat is as good as its going to get. Surely, we will spend 98% of the time driving the car and only 2% getting in and out when on trips. Thanks for digging up the info and posting, much appreciated!
I'm also short and it's one of the reasons why I optioned 2VR... but also for loading these two English heavyweights

Name:  01581892940.jpeg
Views: 346
Size:  2.09 MB

Quote:
So I guess what you're saying is they compensate for the diff between a 19" or a 22" tire by the sidewall height alone, right? So in the case between a 19 and 22", the 1.5" is sidewall height and the ground clearance stays the same.
Yes, Sir!

Last edited by Auricom; 02-16-2020 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2020, 05:22 PM   #35
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just make sure you complete the primary and secondary subscriber info for BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive contract. See enclosed example form - there might be a newer form but it gives you an idea. Or you can always call BMW Connected later and add her as a secondary subscriber. Your wife will have her own BMW Connected Login:

- it's a limited account that's used for backing up Driver Profile settings to the cloud
- BMW Assist in case she's in an accident
- she can download the BMW Connect app to her phone and sign in there too
- you'll use to sign into to set up her Driver Profile in iDrive and associated with her remote

Attachment 2241160I'm also short and it's one of the reasons why I optioned 2VR... but also for loading these two English heavyweights

Attachment 2241161

Yes, Sir!
Right, got it! Sounds like I have a plan....now, gotta wait for Tartufo, won't be long now. Your two English BD's remind me of my last visit to our German friend, he has a French BD and it kept bitting our ankles the whole time we were there...we therefore nicknamed him the "Ankle Biter", I think I still have a mark! :-0
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      02-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #36
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

- What size wheels and tires do you have? (every half inch makes a diff)

- Can you assign the drivers seat height to your key fob profile so as soon as you unlock the door and before you get in, the seat lowers? Can you make it lower with that same key fob profile as you lock it upon exit and have it stay in that position till you get back in?

We got in and out of the X5 yesterday several times and by the end of our testing, the back of my wife's legs were hurting. Ok, so in reality, we would not be getting in and out in succession like we did yesterday but would still like to explore the best purchase option to minimize this issue. So I am of the opinion that I need to go with with 19" wheels coupled with the air suspension and then program the key fob to lower the seat upon entry/exit. Ugh!
We have 21" on P Zeros.

We sometime lower the car before and sometimes after the engine turns off. it depends when i remember to hit the toggle.

Yes, car stays lowered till the next time we drive it. car doesnt raise till its driven (automatically) or if you want to manually toggle back to normal height.

I do not think you can set the height on the keyfob profile, well we never tried, pretty sure its not possible.
**mis-read. Wife does have her seat lowered, difference is minmal. legs still rubs the seat upon exit/entry

Last edited by dream54ing; 02-17-2020 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2020, 08:00 PM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
We have 21" on P Zeros.

We sometime lower the car before and sometimes after the engine turns off. it depends when i remember to hit the toggle.

Yes, car stays lowered till the next time we drive it. car doesnt raise till its driven (automatically) or if you want to manually toggle back to normal height.

I do not think you can set the height on the keyfob profile, well we never tried, pretty sure its not possible.
**mis-read. Wife does have her seat lowered, difference is minmal. legs still rubs the seat upon exit/entry
dream54ing,
Thanks. When you say your wife has her seat lowered, is that via a profile on her key fob? If so, does it auto lower upon unlocking the doors?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #38
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dream54ing,
Thanks. When you say your wife has her seat lowered, is that via a profile on her key fob? If so, does it auto lower upon unlocking the doors?
its set low, but not lowest. she set it to the lowest she comfortable while driving. It doesnt move unless I drove it last with my profile. Not sure if there's a option that lowers the seat before/after you get in/out via key fob profile. let me know if your able to figure it out. lol.
Appreciate 0