BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Twickers
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i on the way

Standard Led Headlights

Hi,

I am about to purchase a used G05 with almost every option you can think ok (Integral..., off-road, .......) but for some reason whoever originally specced it left the standard, fixed, non adaptive LED headlights on there. I wonder if anyone has experienced them. Are they any good and more importantly do they have the horrible blue/black line in between the low and high beam that the 5 series have (see this thread). ?
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1496731

I really appreciate you help.

Best wishes.
Attached Images

Last edited by Twickers; 02-16-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

i have the laser light package but the laser lights only come on when the high beams are on. the regular lights are still led and i've never seen that blue line. I doubt they have separate LED lamps for the laser package and the standard package. so you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Hi, I have the standard LED on my 30d. There is no line like on the other thread. The led lights are rather good. Quite powerful. I doubt you will be disappointed. I think I would have been more disappointed to pay for the laser lights as i have seen many post on here some showing photos of them on and dont think they are worth it. Personal preference though.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
Hi, I have the standard LED on my 30d. There is no line like on the other thread. The led lights are rather good. Quite powerful. I doubt you will be disappointed. I think I would have been more disappointed to pay for the laser lights as i have seen many post on here some showing photos of them on and dont think they are worth it. Personal preference though.
Hi, that's really helpful, thank you, Just checking but are your lights the standard fixed LED, not the icon adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

There is another post on this subject.

Conclusion:

the lasers look much better (subjective)

You will only see the difference if you do a lot of driving outside of the city / dark highway. The lasers only work with the high beams.

Adaptive lights are useful.

I have the lasers and I am really happy with it. Had LED on my previous car. And that was good to. But the lasers are better.

If you have a good deal and your are happy with the look I would do it. If you are in doubt about the look and the deal is not so good compared the a new one I would order the new one and spec it exactly like you want it. It's a lot of money anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

Conclusion:

You will only see the difference if you do a lot of driving outside of the city / dark highway. The lasers only work with the high beams.

I have the lasers and I am really happy with it. Had LED on my previous car. And that was good to. But the lasers are better.

If you have a good deal and your are happy with the look I would do it. If you are in doubt about the look and the deal is not so good compared the a new one I would order the new one and spec it exactly like you want it. It's a lot of money anyway.

Hi, Thanks for that. My issue is more about the blue/black line that the 5 series has when switching between high and low beam on the non adaptive LED headlights (see image). Besides the Standard non adaptive headlights the car is an amazing deal (40i, integral steering, off-road pack, pan roof, Harman Kardon, HUD) for an amazing price. I do however do a lot of night driving and the lasers or at least the adaptive would have been nice. I can deal with the fixed lights just as long as that line isn't there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twickers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

Conclusion:

Hi, Thanks for that. My issue is more about the blue/black line that the 5 series has when switching between high and low beam on the non adaptive LED headlights (see image). Besides the Standard non adaptive headlights the car is an amazing deal (40i, integral steering, off-road pack, pan roof, Harman Kardon, HUD) for an amazing price. I do however do a lot of night driving and the lasers or at least the adaptive would have been nice. I can deal with the fixed lights just as long as that line isn't there.
I don't know about that. My previous car was a 6GT with adaptive leds. Didn't see any blue lines but I never parked in a white garage either. Wonder if you would see it while driving.

Like you mentioned: Strange to order so many options and forget the adaptive lights.

Good luck with the decision !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Yes mine are the standard LED and not the adaptive. I also do a lot of night driving and they are definitely up to the job. I came from a Jaguar with bi xenon before that and these are definitely way better.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I have the adaptive LED headlights, and they are awesome - I really can't see why you would need more.

By "adaptive" I am referring to the headlights and beam moving dynamically to follow the road ahead.
Initially, I actually thought the Adaptive headlights would never be of any real use to me, but I live in an area with a quite a few bends and curves and I was surprised how well it works. Getting the road around a bend or curve lit around a bend before you arrive makes a big difference, and you don't notice it until you have it working for you.

Maybe the Laser lights would work out the the same, but from what I understand they only really provide optical light benefit in high-beam mode, they fall back to LED mode in standard beam operation anyway.

Others on here like the aesthetics in the "angel eyes" on Laser, but to be honest I don't stand in front of my car often enough to notice...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #10
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I have the adaptive LED headlights, and they are awesome - I really can't see why you would need more.

By "adaptive" I am referring to the headlights and beam moving dynamically to follow the road ahead.
Initially, I actually thought the Adaptive headlights would never be of any real use to me, but I live in an area with a quite a few bends and curves and I was surprised how well it works. Getting the road around a bend or curve lit around a bend before you arrive makes a big difference, and you don't notice it until you have it working for you.

Maybe the Laser lights would work out the the same, but from what I understand they only really provide optical light benefit in high-beam mode, they fall back to LED mode in standard beam operation anyway.

Others on here like the aesthetics in the "angel eyes" on Laser, but to be honest I don't stand in front of my car often enough to notice...
Hi, Thanks. Yes, adaptive lights are very cool indeed. This particular car I am getting though has just got the standard non adaptive ones sadly. I was just concerned about how good they were compared to the ones in the 5 series that have a strange line between low and high beam. I wouldn't usually get a car without adaptive lights but this car is otherwise unbelievably well specced and priced. It comes from BMW Park Lane in London which are the only dealership actually owned and operated by BMW in the UK. They therefore have great deals.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Hi, Thanks. Yes, adaptive lights are very cool indeed. This particular car I am getting though has just got the standard non adaptive ones sadly. I was just concerned about how good they were compared to the ones in the 5 series that have a strange line between low and high beam. I wouldn't usually get a car without adaptive lights but this car is otherwise unbelievably well specced and priced. It comes from BMW Park Lane in London which are the only dealership actually owned and operated by BMW in the UK. They therefore have great deals.
Are you sure it doesn't have adaptive LEDs? They are standard on the G05, at least in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Are you sure it doesn't have adaptive LEDs? They are standard on the G05, at least in the US.
Hi, yes sadly not in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Adaptive is only standard on the G06 over here. On the G05, it is a paid for extra - cheaper than ICON lasers but not free or standard.

OP, I have the adaptive led (non-laser) on my X6, they should be the same light as what you will be getting but yours will simply be without the adaptive function to turn the lights, and without HBA. I do not get the blue line. My guess is that was a G30 specific issue that they realised they had to resolve in newer cars.

FWIW, my 540i G30 had ICON adaptive LED's, and the headlights in my X6 are more than adequate. I can't say I have noticed them being worse but I haven't done any sort of serious testing, just normal driving. Dipped beam, I wouldn't notice the difference.

I do miss the clever way the ICON lights would sort of illuminate around oncoming cars with full beams on, I rarely drive with full beams as 99% of my driving is on well lit urban roads.

Like you, I would have added the ICONs if I was building the car to my spec, but the car I found had everything else I wanted plus more and unlike on the G30, the base headlights still look decent. I can definitely live with them and I am someone who has always had the upgraded light on all my cars previously.

Last edited by mobilejo; 02-16-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Thanks guys, interesting they have different levels of lighting as standard in different markets.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:41 PM   #15
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys, interesting they have different levels of lighting as standard in different markets.
Adaptive LED is "standard" here in Australia.

As we're a right-hand drive market like the UK, you would've thought that Adaptive was standard there too. The production runs probably come off the same lines....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:55 AM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Ja, agree. It was interesting to see 552 as an option on all G05 models and standard for 45e M Sport and M50i/50d in UK.

Was hoping to see what the build code is for standard non-adaptive LED and to visually confirm if cornering light is included as depicted in the UK pricing guide.

UK G05 headlight options:
1. Standard LED, non-adaptive with cornering??? - (40i xLine/M Sport, 45e xLine)
2. 552 Adaptive Full LED with 5AC HBA and cornering - £700 (40i xLine/M Sport, 45e xLine) / STD (45e M Sport, M50i/d)
3. Z0C Visibility package, 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight and 5AC - £1,595 (All Lines) / £895 (M50i/d)

USA G05 headlight options:
1. Standard 552 Adaptive Full LED, limited HBA and no cornering
2. 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight, limited HBA and Laserlight range
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:28 AM   #17
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Adaptive is only standard on the G06 over here. On the G05, it is a paid for extra - cheaper than ICON lasers but not free or standard.

OP, I have the adaptive led (non-laser) on my X6, they should be the same light as what you will be getting but yours will simply be without the adaptive function to turn the lights, and without HBA. I do not get the blue line. My guess is that was a G30 specific issue that they realised they had to resolve in newer cars.

FWIW, my 540i G30 had ICON adaptive LED's, and the headlights in my X6 are more than adequate. I can't say I have noticed them being worse but I haven't done any sort of serious testing, just normal driving. Dipped beam, I wouldn't notice the difference.

I do miss the clever way the ICON lights would sort of illuminate around oncoming cars with full beams on, I rarely drive with full beams as 99% of my driving is on well lit urban roads.

Like you, I would have added the ICONs if I was building the car to my spec, but the car I found had everything else I wanted plus more and unlike on the G30, the base headlights still look decent. I can definitely live with them and I am someone who has always had the upgraded light on all my cars previously.

Hi, thank you very much for all that detailed info. It is very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:42 AM   #18
Twickers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Ja, agree. It was interesting to see 552 as an option on all G05 models and standard for 45e M Sport and M50i/50d in UK.

Was hoping to see what the build code is for standard non-adaptive LED and to visually confirm if cornering light is included as depicted in the UK pricing guide.

UK G05 headlight options:
1. Standard LED, non-adaptive with cornering - (40i xLine/M Sport, 45e xLine)
2. 552 Adaptive Full LED with 5AC HBA and cornering - £700 (40i xLine/M Sport, 45e xLine) / STD (45e M Sport, M50i/d)
3. Z0C Visibility package, 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight and 5AC - £1,595 (All Lines) / £895 (M50i/d)

USA G05 headlight options:
1. Standard 552 Adaptive Full LED, limited HBA and no cornering
2. 5AZ Icon Adaptive LED with Laserlight, limited HBA and Laserlight range
Hi, thank you so much for digging all that up. Out of interest where did you find out that the UK has the standard LED, non adaptive with cornering? I couldn't find any info about the cornering bit anywhere
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #19
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Hi, thank you so much for digging all that up. Out of interest where did you find out that the UK has the standard LED, non adaptive with cornering? I couldn't find any info about the cornering bit anywhere
Actually I was hoping for a confirmation that it does or doesn't.

On page 8 of the December UK pricing guide. Standard options are outlined and visually shows xLine with LED headlights with cornering feature. It's the left reflector element in the headlamp, see closeup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #20
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thank you very much for all that detailed info. It is very much appreciated.
No problem.

I took a photo of my dipped beam pattern today to confirm:

I also realised that the high beam assist on these IS of the same variety as on the ICON headlights my G30 had - its not a simple automatic high beam on/off, but that fancy thing where the lights sort of 'draw' a box around other cars and light up everything around them without blinding the other drivers.

Colour me impressed!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #21
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

I am about to purchase a used G05 with almost every option you can think ok (Integral..., off-road, .......) but for some reason whoever originally specced it left the standard, fixed, non adaptive LED headlights on there. I wonder if anyone has experienced them. Are they any good and more importantly do they have the horrible blue/black line in between the low and high beam that the 5 series have (see this thread). ?
https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1496731

I really appreciate you help.

Best wishes.
Wait, would I need to put it on full beam to see this problem (if it exists)?

I took my picture just with the dipped beam on.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #22
Nigel1500
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 30d M-Sport

Hello,

I have standard LED headlights with the adaptive option.

I cannot see any blue line when parking in the garage.

I love the adaptive headlights. I don't notice them around town, but I do a lot of country driving where there are no street lights. The adaptive headlights really make a difference on the bends and corners.

I'd be interested to know how they're controlled. Initially I thought they just responded to the steering wheel. But having done a few night drives of over 200km I now suspect there is some data input from navigation as well.
Appreciate 0