BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #1
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

Prices paid for wheel & tire insurance?

My new car should reach dealership any day now and I am wondering if the price of wheel and tire protection negotiable?

I am in Northern California and have heard people talk about upto $3k for 36 month lease coverage on this forum (not necessarily for California). That does not make any sense to me - perhaps $1k is a good stretch number to spend.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
My new car should reach dealership any day now and I am wondering if the price of wheel and tire protection negotiable?

I am in Northern California and have heard people talk about upto $3k for 36 month lease coverage on this forum (not necessarily for California). That does not make any sense to me - perhaps $1k is a good stretch number to spend.

Thoughts?
Don't buy any protection from them. Why do you need wheel protection? That's why there is insurance if that gets damage in accident. America's tire in NorCal will give you tire protection for around $300-400. My Audi tire protection was around $275 for the life of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
There are times when this comes in handy. Even though I have never purchased it for myself, I have purchased it for my wife's BMW. Most dealers will discount that coverage, and it seems to me we paid around $1100.00 two years ago on a new 2018 X3 for 3-year coverage and it's transferable.

And here is how it paid off: With only 800 miles on a new X3, she was driving on a 9-hour trip to pickup our grand daughter from college. 5-hours into the trip, she blew a right rear tire (probably ran over something) while on the interstate. Her car was ordered with 20" RFT, and she was able to get it back to Kansas City with two large BMW dealers. Neither had the tire, and apparently some some reason, only a dealership in New Jersey had the tire that was needed. She was given a new X1 to finish her trip and drive back home because the tire would take time to be levered to KC where she left her car. She had the X1 about a week or so, put nearly 1100 miles on it, and then they met her in St. Louis with her car and new tire, and then they drove the X1 back to Kansas City. There was no cost to her on any of the experience. So I know this is a rare example, the tire & wheel insurance paid off in this case, as no other insurance would have touched it.

I still won't purchase for my leased G30, but I'll probably add it to her X5 that is on order.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
Don't buy any protection from them. Why do you need wheel protection? That's why there is insurance if that gets damage in accident. America's tire in NorCal will give you tire protection for around $300-400. My Audi tire protection was around $275 for the life of the tire.
I was thinking mainly for the wheel coverage. 3 of my 4 tires on my current Tesla has curb rash and it costs $100 to fix each. I was thinking that perhaps the above coverage will provide unlimited number of repairs for curb rash (i have a tendency to get them). I am not sure if unlimited curb rash repairs are part of the coverage though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
dbjunction
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny185 View Post
There are times when this comes in handy. Even though I have never purchased it for myself, I have purchased it for my wife's BMW. Most dealers will discount that coverage, and it seems to me we paid around $1100.00 two years ago on a new 2018 X3 for 3-year coverage and it's transferable.

And here is how it paid off: With only 800 miles on a new X3, she was driving on a 9-hour trip to pickup our grand daughter from college. 5-hours into the trip, she blew a right rear tire (probably ran over something) while on the interstate. Her car was ordered with 20" RFT, and she was able to get it back to Kansas City with two large BMW dealers. Neither had the tire, and apparently some some reason, only a dealership in New Jersey had the tire that was needed. She was given a new X1 to finish her trip and drive back home because the tire would take time to be levered to KC where she left her car. She had the X1 about a week or so, put nearly 1100 miles on it, and then they met her in St. Louis with her car and new tire, and then they drove the X1 back to Kansas City. There was no cost to her on any of the experience. So I know this is a rare example, the tire & wheel insurance paid off in this case, as no other insurance would have touched it.

I still won't purchase for my leased G30, but I'll probably add it to her X5 that is on order.
i have run into issues like this where i had coverage from American Tire and they didnt have tire in stock for over a week. i was forced to drive with space saver kind of small tire - perhaps BMW would have given a loaner if i had this coverage and they had stock issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
i have run into issues like this where i had coverage from American Tire and they didnt have tire in stock for over a week. i was forced to drive with space saver kind of small tire - perhaps BMW would have given a loaner if i had this coverage and they had stock issues.
No doubt in my mind that you would have gotten a loaner. The loaner my wife received wasn't even from the dealer we purchased the car.

It this instance, it paid off.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Quailhunter
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Experience

A friend, MD, was rushing to the ER at night and ran into unmarked road construction. Blew all 4 tires on his M3 and ruined all 4 wheels. The insurance from BMW saved him a lot of money.

Based on his experience, I bought the insurance on my cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

I just purchase GAP when financing. It is included in the lease so I don't get anything.. finance manager wants to kill me when I say no to everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #9
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

From my own experience, within two months of getting a (GLC) I had two punctures, one was reparable the other wasn't, cost me more than the warranty to get replacement tires. This time round with 22" I got the cover.
Don't have to use BMW, there are many alternative options out there (online) which offer the same cover for less than the dealer.
      10-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #10
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update,
Got my new X5 with Bridgestone sport 20" run flat tires. America's tire warranty was only for $160. I have used it before for my previous car. Very east to deal with them.
The dealer wanted to sell their protection plan for $1700. And, was bragging that these new tires cost $2500. America's tire showed me the price and it was $1000 for all 4 tires.
Never buy the warranty from the dealership.
Appreciate 1
mhodx5111.50
      02-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #11
Milangel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Update,
Got my new X5 with Bridgestone sport 20" run flat tires. America's tire warranty was only for $160. I have used it before for my previous car. Very east to deal with them.
The dealer wanted to sell their protection plan for $1700. And, was bragging that these new tires cost $2500. America's tire showed me the price and it was $1000 for all 4 tires.
So one can buy the road hazard warranty (denoted "Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement" from its website) from America's Tire for tires not purchased from them? E.g., those installed on a new BMW out of a BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Yeah I agree it's not worth it. I got a nail in my tire after a week of owning my M50i. Took it to discount tire, they repaired it for free and sold me tire protection for 180 total for all 4. They also said there is a shop that does wheel repair (dents and rash) for 125/wheel if needed. Way cheaper than the 3000 the dealership wanted.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Question does the 3k that the dealer charges cover you for the life of the car or is it just the tire? According to most these tires only last 15 to 20k miles so if it's the life of the tire then sounds like a ripoff.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milangel View Post
Quote:
Update,
So one can buy the road hazard warranty (denoted "Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement" from its website) from America's Tire for tires not purchased from them? E.g., those installed on a new BMW out of a BMW dealer?
Yes! I purchased one from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #15
Esotericlifestyle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x6 M50i

Quote:

Thoughts?
My experience, get it! I’ve had it on my last 3 bmw’s and it’s a true money saver, especially when you can roll it into your lease payments. Here’s why...if you have 22” rims/tires and live in a pothole filled city like I do in NY, it’s worth it’s weight in gold. I’ve had my x6 M50i since nov and within the 1st month I caught a nipple in the sidewall. The cost of the replacement tire is approximately 350-450 installed. I was able to drop the car to bmw, get a loaner, and have my car returned within 24hrs with no money out of pocket and about a total of 20min my time invested. You can definitely save money buying the plan elsewhere or take the gamble without, however after spending almost 100k on a vehicle, I want convenience! And that’s exactly what BMW is selling. Not to mention, I’ve used the wheel & tire package a multitude of times on my 5 series back when the RFT were on 19s and bending rims from minor potholes. Plus I get the cosmetic coverage in case I curb rash or bend a rim.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #16
Dagwag77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X5 M50i, '19 430i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericlifestyle View Post
Quote:

Thoughts?
My experience, get it! I’ve had it on my last 3 bmw’s and it’s a true money saver, especially when you can roll it into your lease payments. Here’s why...if you have 22” rims/tires and live in a pothole filled city like I do in NY, it’s worth it’s weight in gold. I’ve had my x6 M50i since nov and within the 1st month I caught a nipple in the sidewall. The cost of the replacement tire is approximately 350-450 installed. I was able to drop the car to bmw, get a loaner, and have my car returned within 24hrs with no money out of pocket and about a total of 20min my time invested. You can definitely save money buying the plan elsewhere or take the gamble without, however after spending almost 100k on a vehicle, I want convenience! And that’s exactly what BMW is selling. Not to mention, I’ve used the wheel & tire package a multitude of times on my 5 series back when the RFT were on 19s and bending rims from minor potholes. Plus I get the cosmetic coverage in case I curb rash or bend a rim.
This has been my experience as well. Perhaps it's somewhat geographic... also NYC and went through almost 20 tires in 3 years due to our roads and more than recovered the tire and wheel insurance premium Made flats with the dealership, and a loaner if necessary, hassle free.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

In 30 years of driving different cars, I've only blown a tire twice in two separate cars. None of them were bmw run flats or low profile tires, though.

For me, I think most insurance is a rip off; however, for this one I think it's a fair and even bet. I think you could flip a coin and come out even, either way.

I priced all 4 tires on my M850i and my father's x5, and my wife's x7. And each time the BMW insurance basically equaled the price of the rims and tires.
Thus, if you blow 1 per year; which is about National average, you pay the same out of pocket or with insurance; but, the insurance covers you in case you get all 4 or a couple more pops along the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 05:26 AM   #18
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esotericlifestyle View Post
Agree with this. It’s a big money saver for the cosmetic wheel repair and occasional damaged tire.
Appreciate 0