BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
paul325740
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 and 7

Damaged Brand NEW 2020 How much % OFF?

I've found on 2020 x5M50i that I want, But it has a damaged from customer took for a test drive and park too close to the side walk and pull the bumper out. the paint job look good but when I went to test drive. Parking assist still not function because they are waiting for parts. They offer right away at 10% off MSRP. what do you guys think. I never in this situation with brand new car before.

thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325740 View Post
I've found on 2020 x5M50i that I want, But it has a damaged from customer took for a test drive and park too close to the side walk and pull the bumper out. the paint job look good but when I went to test drive. Parking assist still not function because they are waiting for parts. They offer right away at 10% off MSRP. what do you guys think. I never in this situation with brand new car before.

thank you
Many people on here have gotten 10%+ off custom orders. With that info I would imagine you should get much higher than that BEFORE incentives.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

i wouldn't buy a car like that for less than 30% off before incentives. Some cars on my local dealer's lot had a 25% off sticker without any damage so I'd at least want 30 before I'd consider getting it. They have to move that unit, they know it. There's no reason for you to have to settle for a brand new vehicle with an issue like that right off the top without some giant incentive in your favor.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #4
Wxnatscaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i Arctic Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
i wouldn't buy a car like that for less than 30% off before incentives. Some cars on my local dealer's lot had a 25% off sticker without any damage so I'd at least want 30 before I'd consider getting it. They have to move that unit, they know it. There's no reason for you to have to settle for a brand new vehicle with an issue like that right off the top without some giant incentive in your favor.
I couldn't agree more. Especially with it being the end of the month AND end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #5
paul325740
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 and 7

I will counter them back at 30% and will ask to see all repair invoices. they show the car fax with " Minor damage front right "
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Let us know what they say. I don’t know, but I think they may balk at giving an additional $20,000 discount for what sounds like a minor accident that can be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I agree with you that they will balk. They will bet on another buy taking the car because of the great discount on a 2020.

My counter to your statement is how much would they offer on trade if you brought the car in with "minor damage" on the car fax. What is the delta that they would want the buyer to eat.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I agree with you that they will balk. They will bet on another buy taking the car because of the great discount on a 2020.

My counter to your statement is how much would they offer on trade if you brought the car in with "minor damage" on the car fax. What is the delta that they would want the buyer to eat.
That argument won't work because at the end of the day, it's what sells.

I tried the same type of argument for demo loaners before, it's very difficult to actually get a deal on it. I can easily negotiate for a new car to the same discount. They will just leave the car in demo status and eventually find some buyer who has no idea he could get 10% off MSRP on brand new, and find the 8-10% discount on a demo to be a great deal. I suspect they will do the same with a damaged vehicle. They already got insurance money for it so they're not taking a hit.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
Quote:

That argument won't work because at the end of the day, it's what sells.

I tried the same type of argument for demo loaners before, it's very difficult to actually get a deal on it. I can easily negotiate for a new car to the same discount. They will just leave the car in demo status and eventually find some buyer who has no idea he could get 10% off MSRP on brand new, and find the 8-10% discount on a demo to be a great deal. I suspect they will do the same with a damaged vehicle. They already got insurance money for it so they're not taking a hit.
I could have been more clear , but I think we are saying the exact same thing.

My comments about the trade were directed at the OP if the roles were reveresed. how much negative equity the OP would be forced to Eat if he tried trading that car in with the minor damage.

I never implied that that dealer would discount the car more because of the damage.

The poster above me seems to imply that it doesn't matter if there was damage and it was fixed. That's how I read it .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Most buyers aren’t like the people on this forum. They have no idea what other people are getting as a discount. Also, many people couldn’t care less if the car had a minor accident that was repaired. If I were the dealer, I’d sell the car to one of those people rather than taking a bath on the deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I could have been more clear , but I think we are saying the exact same thing.

My comments about the trade were directed at the OP if the roles were reveresed. how much negative equity the OP would be forced to Eat if he tried trading that car in with the minor damage.

I never implied that that dealer would discount the car more because of the damage.

The poster above me seems to imply that it doesn't matter if there was damage and it was fixed. That's how I read it .
Understood. Yea we're on the same page
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #12
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Most buyers aren’t like the people on this forum. They have no idea what other people are getting as a discount. Also, many people couldn’t care less if the car had a minor accident that was repaired. If I were the dealer, I’d sell the car to one of those people rather than taking a bath on the deal.
Yea, bottom line is dealers will sell at whatever price they can. I'd assume most dealers on average end up like 5% off MSRP when all factored in so they make money both on back end and on each sale.

In all honesty, in a perfect world I would be ok paying that average amount if manufacturers didn't have so much "game" in these things. Most of us aren't trying to starve dealerships to death, we just hate the idea of paying more for the exact same product
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Yep agreed.

It is almost comical watching their eyes when they realize you know where the numbers are going .
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Do not bite, that is no deal. I got 11% off list on a custom order before incentives. Tell them at least 25%. That damage will stay on your carfax for as long as you own it. If your leasing - that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Move along and order what you want. Depending on your location you may be able to get 10% off before incentives as already stated. Although, in other areas you may be closer to 6% off MSRP on a new and undamaged built to order vehicle.

I highly doubt any dealer in the US will offer 25% off on a 2020 that's been damaged unless it's a car that the dealer is not going to repair.
Appreciate 0