BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #23
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

a question I forgot to ask: did anyone take the factory tour?

if so, do you book that separately or is it included as part of the PCD provided the factory is open for tours?

and how long does the tour take?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #24
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
a question I forgot to ask: did anyone take the factory tour?

if so, do you book that separately or is it included as part of the PCD provided the factory is open for tours?

and how long does the tour take?
You'll find out when you arrive at PCD if the tour is scheduled.

Depending on the size of your PCD group, you'll be split up into two groups. One group will do the factory tour and the other will have their vehicles delivered by their BMW Genius.

Both of our groups attended the factory tour. It's included with PCD but depending on factory schedule it's not aways guarantee. The factory tour is usually the X3/4 model line.

To take the tour, you'll drive your delivered vehicle to the factory - instructions provided. Since the factory is a Hugh security area, it's recommend that you leave your mobile phones and smart watch locked in your vehicle. You'll get a wireless headset to listen to the guide and safety glasses. Wear comfortable shoes. The tour is under an hour.

Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      02-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #25
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

just as an update, i worked it out so that I can leave at a reasonable time on wednesday and get up to SC hopefully right after sunset. There was a recent BMW CCA local chapter meeting here and a member talked about his own PCD and now I can almost barely contain myself for the trip up there. currently charging all my actual cameras and camcorders for the journey lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #26
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I would very much like to get the PCD experience, but I have no inclination to drive the car all the way from SC to AZ. In those 1-2days of travel it will be subject to all chips and whatnot since I cant do the PPF or ceramic before hitting the freeway.

Are there any options to give the car back to them to transport to AZ. I am talking about transport in same white wrap/stickers like how they normally transport to the dealer from factory.
I would like to experience the lessons, tour and visit the birthplace of my X5 so to speak, minus the delivery onsite.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #27
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
I would very much like to get the PCD experience, but I have no inclination to drive the car all the way from SC to AZ. In those 1-2days of travel it will be subject to all chips and whatnot since I cant do the PPF or ceramic before hitting the freeway.

Are there any options to give the car back to them to transport to AZ. I am talking about transport in same white wrap/stickers like how they normally transport to the dealer from factory.
I would like to experience the lessons, tour and visit the birthplace of my X5 so to speak, minus the delivery onsite.
When you opt for PCD, they prep and clean the vehicle for delivery. All the exterior and interior protection wraps are removed.

If you don't want to drive it back, you'll need to work with your dealer to arrange transportation to have to transported back - AKA you're responsible for additional shipping charges to transport you X5 back to your selling BMW Center.

Extreme Colors, Inc. in Greenville SC, about 30min from PCD near downtown Greenville, do a lot of PCD delivery PPF installations and ceramic
coatings.

They offer various PPF packages, like cross country package:

XPEL Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film & Installation on Full Hood (wrapped), Full Fenders, Mirrors, Front Bumper, Door Edge Guards, & Headlights

They're a bit more expensive than what you can do locally but very reputable.

Appreciate 1
araje58.50
      02-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #28
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

what's actually good on the Marriot hotel menu? is the filet any good or should i get something else lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #29
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what's actually good on the Marriot hotel menu? is the filet any good or should i get something else lol
I had the chilled corn chowder, grilled bistro tender was excellent and delicious.

Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      02-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #30
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:

Quote:

You can hire a road runner closed container ship to truck your ride inside for about $1k. Door to door.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:42 PM   #31
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

couple more questions:

If two people are in your party, how does the driving skills part work? Do they put you in separate cars or the same car? we both independently registered for it. I'd like to do each thing myself and then have the opportunity to step out and film the other person doing it, is any of that even possible?

What happens during the hot lap? does one person have to sit in the back seat or can we take turns sitting in the front seat? or is all of this dependent on how many people are in your group for the PCD for that day itself?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #32
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

No questions here, but got my PCD scheduled for 3/12. When scheduled, BMW contact you by email with details and an attached PDF with what to expect. Quite impressed with what they've organized on paper.
      02-11-2020, 09:19 PM   #33
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
couple more questions:

If two people are in your party, how does the driving skills part work? Do they put you in separate cars or the same car? we both independently registered for it. I'd like to do each thing myself and then have the opportunity to step out and film the other person doing it, is any of that even possible?
Each couple will get assigned a highly optioned vehicle that's similar to yours - if you're getting a X5 xLine or M Sport - you'll get a test X5 xLine with Off-Road. If you're getting a X5 M50i - you'll get a X5 M50i; X3M -> X3M, X3 M40i -> X3 M40i, etc. The first BMW PDS X5 we had had 20" 748M with Grabber AT tires. Later on, we swapped X5s for the off road course and the 2nd one had 21" Pirelli Zero performance tires which performed surprisingly very well off road in the mud and deep water wading.

Your PCD group will be split among two driving instructors. One group will start off doing braking skills, while the other group will drives off to the other end of the track to perform the same braking skill.

For two individuals in your party, you'll both have the opportunity to take turns with each driving skills portion. For example, my group started off with: braking skills then moved on to course driving, then learn about DSC on the 360 polished wet skid pad in a M340i (it's not done in a X vehicle to prevent roll overs), followed by off-road course. They prefer you both stay in the vehicle during all the skills courses but you might want to check with your driving instructor if you're able to step out to film.

Lunch is served in the main Performance Driving School/PCD cafeteria. Cafeteria was packed that day and we got the opportunity to chat with instructors, Genius, workers there. A huge contingent of DOD and DEA were there getting training.

Quote:
What happens during the hot lap? does one person have to sit in the back seat or can we take turns sitting in the front seat? or is all of this dependent on how many people are in your group for the PCD for that day itself?
The only event where you won't be driving or taking turns swapping seats is the one run driving instructor hot lap in a M5 Competition. Just flip a coin on who's getting shot gun :P

Since there's usually 2 instructors, they'll each hot lap a couple at a time. For my PCD there were 12 couples (6 deliveries), 6 hot laps.

PCD can accommodate up to 12 to 14 deliveries per day but they prefer to 6-8 deliveries to ensure you're able to spend enough time with your Genius usually 1.5hr. What's great is that my Genius was performing multiple iDrive tests to ensure all the apps and features were working correctly for my delivery. If you've added your new X5 to your existing BMW ConnectedDrive before PCD, you may get notifications on the app while your Genius is configuring your X5.
Attached Images

Last edited by Auricom; 02-11-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
sygazelle11329.50
      02-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #34
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

as informative as always. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #35
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Each couple will get assigned a highly optioned vehicle that's similar to yours - if you're getting a X5 xLine or M Sport - you'll get a test X5 xLine with Off-Road. If you're getting a X5 M50i - you'll get a X5 M50i; X3M -> X3M, X3 M40i -> X3 M40i, etc. The first BMW PDS X5 we had had 20" 748M with Grabber AT tires. Later on, we swapped X5s for the off road course and the 2nd one had 21" Pirelli Zero performance tires which performed surprisingly very well off road in the mud and deep water wading.

Your PCD group will be split among two driving instructors. One group will start off doing braking skills, while the other group will drives off to the other end of the track to perform the same braking skill.

For two individuals in your party, you'll both have the opportunity to take turns with each driving skills portion. For example, my group started off with: braking skills then moved on to course driving, then learn about DSC on the 360 polished wet skid pad in a M340i (it's not done in a X vehicle to prevent roll overs), followed by off-road course. They prefer you both stay in the vehicle during all the skills courses but you might want to check with your driving instructor if you're able to step out to film.

Lunch is served in the main Performance Driving School/PCD cafeteria. Cafeteria was packed that day and we got the opportunity to chat with instructors, Genius, workers there. A huge contingent of DOD and DEA were there getting training.

The only event where you won't be driving or taking turns swapping seats is the one run driving instructor hot lap in a M5 Competition. Just flip a coin on who's getting shot gun :P

Since there's usually 2 instructors, they'll each hot lap a couple at a time. For my PCD there were 12 couples (6 deliveries), 6 hot laps.

PCD can accommodate up to 12 to 14 deliveries per day but they prefer to 6-8 deliveries to ensure you're able to spend enough time with your Genius usually 1.5hr. What's great is that my Genius was performing multiple iDrive tests to ensure all the apps and features were working correctly for my delivery. If you've added your new X5 to your existing BMW ConnectedDrive before PCD, you may get notifications on the app while your Genius is configuring your X5.
I'm not sure about the M50i, unless something has changed. When I scheduled the PCD they informed me that they did not have M50i and that I would get something close. I was expecting an 40i, but to my surprise it was a 50i.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #36
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I'm not sure about the M50i, unless something has changed. When I scheduled the PCD they informed me that they did not have M50i and that I would get something close. I was expecting an 40i, but to my surprise it was a 50i.
Ah, might had been timing? There was a X5 M50i with with Performance Center Driving School decals parked among the ///Ms.

But you're correct, they will inform owners if they don't have your specific vehicle available for the driving school portion of PCD.

The two X5s I drove was a white 40i and grey 50i xLine.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #37
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
couple more questions:

After all these questions, we are expecting a proper write up with photos after your PCD. Make sure to include what you had for dinner!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #38
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

oh rest assured you will! there's light rain in the forecast for tomorrow in SC, I'm hoping it'll subside during our skills portion so that I can stand outside and actually film and take pictures of some of it. im taking my good cameras and video equipment with me and hoping I wont have to resort back to just using my iphone's water resistant camera.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4360.00
      02-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #39
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just got back. took a LOT of videos and pictures. Unfortunately, its exam time for me and i'll be busy the next couple of weeks but I'm very happy to provide a detailed experience write up for any future forum members interested in doing a PCD. We had SUCH A GOOD time. all the hype in this forum didn't come close to the actual experience.

In any case, here's a video I took of the 'hot lap' with Matt in the M5 competition:

cant wait to do this again when the lease is up lol
Appreciate 2
Auricom4360.00
sygazelle11329.50
      02-13-2020, 09:35 PM   #40
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got back. took a LOT of videos and pictures. Unfortunately, its exam time for me and i'll be busy the next couple of weeks but I'm very happy to provide a detailed experience write up for any future forum members interested in doing a PCD. We had SUCH A GOOD time. all the hype in this forum didn't come close to the actual experience.

In any case, here's a video I took of the 'hot lap' with Matt in the M5 competition:

Nice!!! You're right, PCD hype doesn't come close to the actual experience!

I <heart> Matt. We had Matt and Steve Cooke for driving instructors. Steve Cooke gave us an unforgettable hot lap - he was a mad man behind the wheels. He spun out and stalled the M5 Comp a couple of times. After then hot lap, I literally rolled out the car laughing with the biggest grin on my face.

Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
sygazelle11329.50
      02-13-2020, 10:49 PM   #41
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

when we got there, the center was in the middle of a downpour, so much so that they wanted to try and wait out the storm. so the track was drenched. i've never done a hot lap before so im not sure if Matt was going slower than he otherwise would but it was still a lot of fun. made me want to get a M5 comp (def as a lease lol). I wish we were able to go when the track was dry so we could hear the spinning tires and screeching. I still feel like I walked away a better driver and much, much more aware of what these machines can do. PCD is an absolute must do experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #42
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

We also had a very wet and rainy PCD also, no down pours but it was raining steady all day. I felt bad for both because they were standing out in the rain so much but they really enjoy their job and their enthusiasm was infectious. Did you get a chance to go on the factory tour?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:13 AM   #43
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
We also had a very wet and rainy PCD also, no down pours but it was raining steady all day. I felt bad for both because they were standing out in the rain so much but they really enjoy their job and their enthusiasm was infectious. Did you get a chance to go on the factory tour?
we did indeed. the factory tour was also very cool and tour guide was equally enthusiastic about explaining everything that was going on. I guess I would have been more excited about the factory tour if we didn't have an issue with our x5 that required additional attention after the PCD (they couldn't load the connectedrive apps, including drive recorder to work) and I was worried if they would have to keep the car/us longer since we had a 6 hour drive back home after the tour. But it was still very cool to see the vehicles being assembled. The whole experience was fantastic. They did such a great job with promoting the brand. I asked our PCD delivery person what it costs BMW to do a PCD, he said it was $795, including a dealer contribution apparently.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4360.00
      02-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #44
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

Agree that all the hype doesn't come close. There is no way to understand PCD without actually doing it. BTW, I love about 1:36 into the video when you pan to the back seat. She is a trooper!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00