BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

PCD vs dealer delivery

I was at a dealer the other day talking with them about a Performance Center Delivery or a dealer delivery. We discussed several points but it ended when we got to the dreaded topic of. .. . wrinkly rear seats.

Bottom line: they told me that if I choose PCD, I must fully pay for the car/sign all the paperwork, before they would order it and certainly well before I would be at the Performance Center to pick it up. Therefore if I did not like the rear seats, I would be stuck.

Who disagrees with this and why?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

We just did a PCD. We had to put down a 2500 dollar deposit that was earnest money but with the stipulation that if the car wasn't built as ordered, we could walk away. Idk why they're making you pay in full. But I highly recommend the PCD if you have the opportunity to do so.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I was at a dealer the other day talking with them about a Performance Center Delivery or a dealer delivery. We discussed several points but it ended when we got to the dreaded topic of. .. . wrinkly rear seats.

Bottom line: they told me that if I choose PCD, I must fully pay for the car/sign all the paperwork, before they would order it and certainly well before I would be at the Performance Center to pick it up. Therefore if I did not like the rear seats, I would be stuck.

For custom orders with either delivery to your dealer or PCD, I've only provided my dealer a $500 deposit, signed custom build sheet confirming options and purchase order confirming agreed upon sale price/discounts. This has been my experience for the past 20 years of ordering and leasing BMWs.

As you know, builds can take 1 to 2 or more months to complete and you shouldn't making paying anything in full or monthly payments on a vehicle that needs to be ordered or hasn't been delivered.

You do need to finalize your lease or purchase contract in order for your dealer to send a vehicle release authorization to PCD. This is usually done 1 to 2 weeks before your delivery and travel date. The dealer will provide you with temp tags and registration and you'll handover your tags to the delivery Genius. You'll also need to make sure to provide proof your new vehicle has insurance coverage.

When I picked my X5 at PCD after 12 weeks since ordering it (IW with NB took extra time), the rear seats were extra wrinkly. I was hoping for tight not too wrinkly seats given the length of time it was ordered - but in the end I chose to be ok with it, it's a lease.

Got lucky with my F15 rear seats, not so with the G05. Otherwise solid build, no squeaks, no rattles, quiet, drove straight, no iDrive gremlins, excellent detailing and delivery prep,

If there is an issue, don't hesitate to bring it up with your delivery Genius - they'll work with you to get it resolved.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #4
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

For what it’s worth, I did a PCD two months ago, and the rear seats were perfectly tight. I don’t know if it was an anomaly, or they finally have their act together. I’d have a discussion with the dealer and ask them to have your back in case you have wrinkle problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You do need to finalize your lease or purchase contract in order for your dealer to send a vehicle release authorization to PCD. This is usually done 1 to 2 weeks before your delivery and travel date. The dealer will provide you with temp tags and registration and you'll handover your tags to the delivery Genius. You'll also need to make sure to provide proof your new vehicle has insurance coverage.
Question: At what point in your process did you pay them? (or if you financed via BMW). I did not want to pay until after I saw the car. Giving a small downpayment and signing the order config is no issue but after seeing the car, I want to be able to walk away from it if I want to.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Question: At what point in your process did you pay them? (or if you financed via BMW). I did not want to pay until after I saw the car. Giving a small downpayment and signing the order config is no issue but after seeing the car, I want to be able to walk away from it if I want to.
Two weeks before PCD, I finalized my lease agreement where I paid my fees, title/tags, taxes and first month's payment:

1. Acquisition fee $925
2. Dealer processing $300
3. Title/tags $144
4. VA state taxes $2921
5. First month payment $757

Wrote a check for $4547 ($5047 less previous $500 deposit. I usually recommend rolling 1 to 4 into a lease but had extra miscellaneous cash to use)

My recommendation if you want the most flexibility of walking away from a vehicle is to have it delivered to your dealer. I haven't run into any posts where someone declined delivery at PCD and couldn't expertly guide you in that situation.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:

That's crazy you don't need to pay everything up front. For some reason dealers discourage PCD. Mine told me that it would add several months to my build but I called the performance center and they said it only adds 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

they discourage a PCD because it costs them money lol. We went yesterday and I asked the SA what this whole thing costs BMW, and he said it was $795, with a large contribution from BMWNA but also some contribution from your local dealer. so even if its a hundred bucks, they don't necessarily want to spend it if you're too clueless on insisting on getting a PCD. that's why lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. My buying history has always been that I hand over a check to the dealer when I go to pick up my car no matter the brand. Giving them the check is the last thing I do after being content with the car inspection, etc. PCD changes that since it appears you must finalize your payment before arriving at the Performance Center. So as Auricom said, any real leverage/flexibility is gone at that point and you are left dealing with issues via warranty which I highly doubt any rear seat issues would be taken care of and I also doubt the dealer would look kindly adding some sort of clause in the contract that the seats would have to meet customer expectation. From what I have seen, its a crap shoot on the rear wrinkles.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:

That's BS. Find a different dealer. Yes the deal itself is worked out ahead of time but how on earth are you going to get a lease/loan for a car that doesn't even have a VIN number yet if they won't order before you pay? Or why would you pay cash or make monthly payments for a car that literally doesn't exist yet?

We have done PCD two times. First time the dealer took a deposit of $2000 (if I recall correctly) and we did the paperwork and paid for the car literally the day before we flew down to Spartanburg. Second time the dealer took no deposit and we did the paperwork a week before we flew down to Spartanburg.

Regarding issues with the rear seat leather, if it's even a thing anymore, don't reject a whole car because of it, that's silly. Ours has wrinkly rear leather and we don't notice it anymore. Further, any repair or remedy would be warranty regardless of where you pick the car up. Your dealer is still your dealer and should support you even if you don't drive the car off of their lot (hell, even if you didn't buy it there at all). Both dealers we got our last two cars from were excited for the fact that we were doing PCD.

It's a phenomenal experience and it's not worth missing just because you have an unscrupulous dealer.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4349.50
      02-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #11
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks everyone. My buying history has always been that I hand over a check to the dealer when I go to pick up my car no matter the brand. Giving them the check is the last thing I do after being content with the car inspection, etc. PCD changes that since it appears you must finalize your payment before arriving at the Performance Center. So as Auricom said, any real leverage/flexibility is gone at that point and you are left dealing with issues via warranty which I highly doubt any rear seat issues would be taken care of and I also doubt the dealer would look kindly adding some sort of clause in the contract that the seats would have to meet customer expectation. From what I have seen, its a crap shoot on the rear wrinkles.
If your intent on refusing acceptance because of wrinkles or any other issue I suggest you take delivery at the dealer to maximize flexibility. FYI, my cars backseats have wrinkles that I had not noticed until now, two weeks after delivery.
I'm slowly coming to conclusion wrinkling is intentional. Occurs too frequently to be random and perhaps it reduces potential for creasing or separating. Admittedly I'm not a leather expert (nor want to be).
Lastly rather that wrinkling, I dislike the plastic "feel" of the turn signal stalk. Don't know why but my Audi felt different.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
videoman535i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M50i, 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjackdog View Post
the rear seats were perfectly tight.
A certain poster on this forum would claim your seats are defective and tell you to go to the dealer to have it addressed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

A well timed thread. My PCD is scheduled for 3/12. The thought of factory delivery outweighs dealer by a long way. I'm planning to finance half and put half down, so feel a little more risk than a lease. Has anyone experience of this route? Would I hand over a check for half a week or two prior to Spartenburg? My assumption is yes based conversation with the dealer, and working on the assumption that if anything is really wrong I will get my money back. Something I'll speak to the dealer about.
      02-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #14
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

dont ever, EVER put any money down. if this forum (well the pricing and ordering sub forum) as taught me anything, you don't ever put down any money you don't plan on getting back at the end of the lease: ie a MSD (multiple securities deposit).
Appreciate 0