GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
Any real world great reasons to get this that I’m missing? Wife asked why i wanted to spend the money and I realized I didn’t have a great reason vs. Drive recorder.
Yeah, getting hit in the parking lot of a tech company just outside of the view of cameras. This has happened to my wife a few times now: come out and a bumper is dinged up and the security cams didn't catch it. So then you gotta go to the insurance company and beg and/or pay for it yourself whereas if you have a dashcam that catches the event at least you can prove it wasn't you (an hopefully your insurance company can go after the culprit).

I've also had an incident in a Whole Foods parking lot where I came out and my taillight was busted out but not another scratch on the car and nothing else around. I assume someone's car got away from them, nailed my car and then they put the cart back without taking responsibility.

So that's the use-case: parking lot ding-ups.

But, if you've never had it happen then maybe it's not a thing for you ... your insurance will usually give you a freebie but if it happens a 2nd time they won't.
Appreciate 1
3Wagon129.00
      01-30-2022, 11:04 PM   #178
3Wagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
So that's the use-case: parking lot ding-ups.
Thank you.

Insurance company being shitty seems like a possible thing, but I have USAA and they are generally pretty good on this. But, I feel they’d have be super shitty AND something significantly bad would have to happen for me to recoup the 2k investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:56 PM   #179
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Wagon View Post
Thank you.

Insurance company being shitty seems like a possible thing, but I have USAA and they are generally pretty good on this. But, I feel they’d have be super shitty AND something significantly bad would have to happen for me to recoup the 2k investment.
Well, considering 1 LED headlight is $3k maybe not!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:58 AM   #180
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

I have a Viofo A129 Pro Duo front and rear dash cam hardwired into my SUV.
Unfortunately it would appear this is draining the battery when in parking mode as I’m getting the Battery Management warning on the Idrive. I’ve had to turn off the parking mode (which defeats the object of having it) which seems to stop the draining.
Can anyone advise what would be the best solution in avoiding a battery drain.
I been told a separate battery pack however these are £400, more than the cost of the dash cam!
Cheers
      04-11-2023, 12:43 AM   #181
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I read somewhere that hard wiring dash cams will affect the warranty. I have know idea if this is an issue. I'd love to have it hard wired if it doesn't affect the warranty.

Nope - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act 1975
Aftermarket parts or modifications:

This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.
Some dealerships may say, for example, that just because you have a performance part such as a cold air intake on the car that the whole vehicle warranty is void, says Loren Wong, a car enthusiast and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true," he says.
The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warrant...-warranty.html
      04-11-2023, 04:25 AM   #182
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Nope - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act 1975
Aftermarket parts or modifications:

This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.
Some dealerships may say, for example, that just because you have a performance part such as a cold air intake on the car that the whole vehicle warranty is void, says Loren Wong, a car enthusiast and a former warranty administrator for BMW and Acura. "That's not true," he says.
The saving grace for consumers is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warrant...-warranty.html
Dude, whilst appreciative of your willingness to be helpful, but you responded to someone's post that is from 2019 (over 4yrs old). And others already posted what you posted.
Appreciate 0