BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5M Competition

2023 BMW X5M Competition F95 Inexpensive Exhaust

Here's an alternative option to spending $2500 + on a system or kit. Since I own an automotive shop, this cost me about 2 hours and about $50 in materials.

What I did:
1. Replaced rear middle muffler with pipe, basically no change. I ended up installing a small straight through resonator where muffler used to be for aesthetics.
2. Proceeded to replace the front resonator with pipe only as the rear section is effectively an H pipe. Definitely louder, but still overall on the quieter side and the tone isn't that great as others have experienced

Overall impressions:
1. Louder than stock for sure, and I don't feel bad since it didn't really cost me anything.
2. Not as loud as you'd expect, definitely not as loud as modified M5's get using the same setup.
3. The rear/middle muffler is hollow and basically made no change in sound, and if I knew this going in I would have left it.
4. Start with removing resonator, don't waste time with replacing muffler.
5. The rear corner mufflers are basically straight through and I highly doubt they do much for quieting the system.
6. Rear cat delete may be next, but I fear it still won't sound very good.

For those not willing to sell your kids or organs to buy a system, this is an inexpensive alternative. After doing this test, I honestly don't see how anyone would spend their hard earned money on a kit that's not going to make that much of a difference. I mean, even with the entire exhaust disconnected and only the 4 stock cats in place, it wasn't THAT loud...... your $12,000 system I don't see being louder than having no system at all, but maybe create a different tone.....

Rear muffler replaced with straight through resonator:

Rear muffler replaced with resonator and front resonator replaced with pipe:
Attached Images

Last edited by Ledbetterjw; 04-04-2023 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

That's crazy the rear center section is totally hollow. Thanks for being the guinea pig on that. The vehicle guide says:

4.5.4. Sports exhaust system
The M Sport exhaust system is available as optional equipment SA 1MA on the F95/F96 and standard on the F95/F96 Competition model as of market launch.
The design of the sport exhaust system only differs from the production exhaust system in the internal structure of the center silencer and rear silencer. In the internal structure of the center silencer and rear silencer there are additional perforations in the perforated transitions of the silencer chambers, which work according to the principle of the absorption silencer. ....."

That's a BIG perforation.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:44 PM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetterjw View Post
Here's an alternative option to spending $2500 + on a system or kit. Since I own an automotive shop, this cost me about 2 hours and about 50 in materials.

What I did:
1. Replaced rear middle muffler with pipe, basically no change. I ended up installing a small syraight through resonator where muffler used to be for aethestics.
2. Proceeded to replace the front resonator with pipe only as the rear section is effectively an H pipe. Definitely louder, but still overall on the quieter side and the tone isn't that great as others have experienced

Overall impressions:
1. Louder than stock for sure, and I don't feel bad since it didn't really cost me anything.
2. Not as loud as you'd expect, definitely not as loud as modified M5's get using the same setup.
3. The rear/middle muffler is hollow and basically made no change in sound, and if I knew this going in I would have left it.
4. Start with removing resonator, don't waste time with replacing muffler.
5. The rear corner mufflers are basically straight through and I highly doubt they do much for quieting the system.
6. Rear cat delete may be next, but I fear it still won't sound very good.

For those not willing to sell your kids or organs to buy a system, this is an inexpensive alternative. After doing this test, I honestly don't see how anyone would spend their hard earned money on a kit that's not going to make that much of a difference. I mean, even with the entire exhaust disconnected and only the 4 stock cats in place, it wasn't THAT loud...... your $12,000 system I don't see being louder than having no system at all, but maybe create a different tone.....

Rear muffler replaced with straight through resonator:

Rear muffler replaced with resonator and front resonator replaced with pipe:
Excellent info. !

Did you take a picture looking into the side muffler ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Excellent info. !

Did you take a picture looking into the side muffler ?
I did not. The rear center muffler is absolutely empty/hollow. The rear corner mufflers are straight through with a few perforated holes that go to maybe a 1/4" chamber on the very outside/shell of the mufflers, I don't see how they do anything more than say a normal resonated tip would.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetterjw View Post
I did not. The rear center muffler is absolutely empty/hollow. The rear corner mufflers are straight through with a few perforated holes that go to maybe a 1/4" chamber on the very outside/shell of the mufflers, I don't see how they do anything more than say a normal resonated tip would.
No power to be found changing that.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 11:24 AM   #6
apsuard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Now I’m glad I saved money and just removed both the upper and lower downpipes. Still not very loud but a lot better than stock.

Based on this maybe I just remove the resonators next?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard View Post
Now I’m glad I saved money and just removed both the upper and lower downpipes. Still not very loud but a lot better than stock.

If you've already done the cats, I'd do resonator if you want louder and leave the entire rear section. If I started all over I'd remove rear cats only so I didn't have to tune (for warranty) and replace resonator and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 12:43 PM   #8
bellabimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsuard View Post

Full downpipes with stock exhaust??

Do you have videos?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabimmer View Post
Full downpipes with stock exhaust??

Do you have videos?
I have no videos of just the four cat deletes/ downpipes.
I may do the rear cat delete/secondary cat delete downpipes as no tuning is required, but I doubt i'd ever replace all cats......not into having to tune and possible issues with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:17 PM   #10
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep

Resonator still deleted.

Before secondary removal:

After secondary removal:

Appreciate 0