BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #199
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

I never had a car loan or lease. I keep up with maintenance and wash/wax upkeep, and I don't get bored with cars after a few years , so as long as the car holds up, that works for me.

To that end, all my cars owned so far have treated me well. I've never gotten rid of a car due to reliability.......I did trade in my 1999 F150 (unexpectedly) years ago, after I put my foot through the rusted truck bed, .... after 14 years and 180K of trouble free miles... My 2023 BMW after 1500 miles.. so far so good ..
      12-29-2023, 09:19 AM   #200
GrokuE7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited

Garage List
2021 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Bimmers are driver's cars and as weird as it is to say at these price points, they are a (relative) bargain in that category. Hence the desire to drive one. It is also pretty consistent that bimmers are at best average reliability (it's no Toyota), yet very expensive to repair. Take that all together, for me, I will never again a) operate a bimmer not covered by some kind of significant warranty, and b) operate a bimmer I cannot eventually return at known financial commitment level. Hence leases from now on.

I may end up buying out the lease and extend the warranty at the end if, by then, it turns out this X5 is reliable. As such, I will take excellent care of the car during the lease. But history is not on my side for this outcome.
I have to admit this is the best explanation as to why leasing vice buying a BMW is the best move. It's simple and makes sense. Forget all the long-term financial comparisons. I think it's safe to say if you're driving a BMW payments are not the issue. At least for the majority of drivers.

I've done both, but leasing is my preference. I've had some good ones with no maintenance issues. So hopefully this trend continues.
LexxM31698.50
      12-30-2023, 01:30 PM   #201
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Merry Christmas my friend. Are you relying on any data out there, or is this impressionistic. Color me interested, and surprised if it is true
Just based on anecdotal experience…and what CR says as well.
Appreciate 0