BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2023, 04:37 PM   #177
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

BMW (and MANY other brands) highly suggest that you choose your fuel from a place that meets the www.toptiergas.com standards. Generally, you'll have lots of choices in your area. This is a trade group that features what is generally considered useful additives in the fuel to help maintain performance long term.

To get the best performance when using fuel, choose one with at least the minimum recommended octane. Using less means the computer must detune the engine to prevent knocking, which decreases performance and efficiency. Generally, that's premium grade. You won't damage anything, but you may also find the mid-grade stuff does not have the additives to pass top-tier gas, and that could be problematic long-term.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #178
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan78 View Post
We have now had our 45e for just over a month and have over 1000 miles on it and still have only used a half a tank of gas! Thus the electric range seems to be working out well for our everyday needs. With that in mind, I do plan to get gas in the next week or two and wondered if there is a special gas most people buy for the 45e. I was thinking of paying more for something like the Shell V Power but was curious what others used.
use AKI rating as per manual. whether or not you use ethanol-free is up to you. (most don’t even have access to any.) the BMW engineers don’t feel ethanol-free is required nor recommended despite knowing fuel can sit for months in the tank which is pressurized for this reason. the longest I went was 7 months between fill ups and experienced no ICE performance issues whatsoever. that being said, if I know I won’t be taking any road trips for several months, I prefer to add some fuel stabilizer (only if I remember, though)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:51 AM   #179
lenox80
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

A big thanks to nZtiZia. I was on the fence on with the 45e and we have had it for a month now and it is utterly perfect. Buttery smooth acceleration in electric mode and you can barely feel the resistance when you take your foot off the gas in that mode as it slows down. BMW engineers did a fantastic job on this car and it’s been an utter pleasure to drive. Thank you nZtiZia for all your pointers and advice throughout a variety of threads.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4652.00
akin67450.50
      03-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #180
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenox80 View Post
A big thanks to nZtiZia. I was on the fence on with the 45e and we have had it for a month now and it is utterly perfect. Buttery smooth acceleration in electric mode and you can barely feel the resistance when you take your foot off the gas in that mode as it slows down. BMW engineers did a fantastic job on this car and it’s been an utter pleasure to drive. Thank you nZtiZia for all your pointers and advice throughout a variety of threads.
glad yours is an enjoyment!
Appreciate 1
akin67450.50
      03-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #181
Texas Longhorn
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Smile Availability of 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
With the predicted use case, the 45e should be more efficient for her use as it's much better in stop and go, and if fully charged, the entire day may be done in electric mode. Depending on your electric rates, that could be cheaper or more expensive than running gas alone. The 45e comes with two axle air suspension, which is nice. Unless you're lucky enough to find one for immediate sale, you probably won't qualify for the federal tax credit, but a recent announcement MIGHT delay one of the prerequisites needed to qualify, so maybe.
Ordered an X5 xDrive45e on February 2, 2023 and it is in route to the dealer arriving March 8.

That’s a pretty quick. Maybe Vail lite isn’t a big issue. At least it wasn’t for me.

Last edited by Texas Longhorn; 03-04-2023 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #182
Texas Longhorn
Rep

Maybe availability isn’t an issue. Dealer also had a limited number on the lot. I just wanted a lot of specific features on mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #183
Texas Longhorn
Rep

Qmerit

When considering a level 2 charger for your home, installation can be a big cost factor. IRS allows up to $1000 credit on installation costs. My ChargePoint+Flex unit cost about $700 on Amazon. Went with Qmerit mentioned by BMW for the installation. I needed an additional electric panel to support the 50 amp circuit breaker required for the level 2 charger. The Qmerit contractor quoted me $3900 for the entire job on top of my cost for the charger itself. Licensed electrician would have been half the cost. Choose wisely.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 05:53 PM   #184
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Longhorn View Post
When considering a level 2 charger for your home, installation can be a big cost factor. IRS allows up to $1000 credit on installation costs. My ChargePoint+Flex unit cost about $700 on Amazon. Went with Qmerit mentioned by BMW for the installation. I needed an additional electric panel to support the 50 amp circuit breaker required for the level 2 charger. The Qmerit contractor quoted me $3900 for the entire job on top of my cost for the charger itself. Licensed electrician would have been half the cost. Choose wisely.
Geez, $3,900?!? I'm in San Antonio as well, and my installation was only $1,200 through Qmerit. Though didn't need an additional panel, so I know that's a big cost factor. I did want the charger installed on the other side of the garage opposite side of where the panel is located, so I know running that wire added cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 06:08 PM   #185
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
For the IRS credit, you get 30% of the actual cost, not all of it. I got a surprise when I just finished my taxes. Because of a lot of tax lost harvesting during the crazy market last year, I ended up not quite owing $7500 in tax. So since the credit is not refundable, I got a bit less than the full credit for my 45e and none for the EVSE install.

A 50A breaker is NOT required to get level 2 charging. You can get level 2 (220V) charging for the 45e with a dual 20A breaker. The cable cost will be significantly less. The 45e max's out at 16A current, so higher capacity doesn't buy you faster charging. That said, there's a good argument for future proofing your install for your next EV/PHEV car.
      03-06-2023, 02:44 PM   #186
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
I went with tandem 15A breakers in my box to free up the space needed for the 240V 50A breaker. Much cheaper than adding a sub panel.

Details in this post: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1993970
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:59 AM   #187
hiluca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2020-2024 X5 50e 2024-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfer View Post
Regarding the new E-Motor...don’t expect a big wonder. The new motor has just 20Nm more torque ( 265Nm vs 285Nm) .
That more power is just over 3000-5000rpm significant, as the new one can hold the torque up to 5000rpm ( old one up to 3000pm).
The question is how will BMW change the gear shifting logic. Currently the shiftpoint is at approx. 4000rm .
After that the torque is falling sharply down and it makes sense to shift into the next gear. It means, that if the ICE has to jump in ( e.g. kickdown) , then it hast to rev up to max. 4000rpm.
So if the new one will go up to over 5000, then it will be a huge jump for the ICE.
That range is currently not even accessible if the engine is cold ( max 5000rpm allowed).
I expect, the more electric power will be a game changer in the hybrid mode, but not in the EV mode.
Currently, the E-Motor could deliver up to 265Nm so it would be possible to reach the 700Nm in the range of 2-3000rpm, but BMW want a wide torque plateau, and therefore it's reduced to 150Nm ( which can be delivered at 5000rpm too).
The new one can put down 250Nm in the full range, and so you will have +100NM in Hybrid mode, which is more then noticable...
so a bit more info is out on the 50e electric motor.
apperantly by a "pre stage gearing setup" the electric motor alone can deliver 450nm in electric driving mode. now i was wondering if anyone could explain to me what this "pre stage gearing" is.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50