nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I started with 0% battery. If I didn't use hold function, the car would use whatever power it regenerated for a hybrid mode (I know this as I tested it). When I was using hold function, I think it was using ICE to get the battery to certain level (4%) and then it didn't go any further. When I deactivated and activated hold it was going above this 4%.

I didn't ready any technical documentation as it should work. This is base on my experience on ca. 400 miles trip, mostly flat, light traffic highway, so not that much regen happening.
oh I understand now. since you started with 0% usable capacity, charging up to 4 miles worth very likely wasn’t a function of Battery Hold but rather the vehicle maintaining a minimum charge level which is expected behavior. in your case, Battery Hold really wasn’t doing anything although it could be argued it held a higher state of charge than without it being activated. on the 45e, the vehicle maintained 2 miles of electric range once usable capacity was depleted (Battery Control wasn’t activated).

next time you’re in a similar travel/mileage situation, don’t activate Battery Hold and let us know how many electric miles the 50e maintains at minimum. again, it will do this regardless of activating Battery Hold
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2032.50
      10-30-2023, 12:11 PM   #46
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Yes I agree with nZtiZia on this. With 45e, there is no battery hood feature, driving in hybrid will get 2-3 miles worth of HVB just from regen, sport mode will get 5-6 miles, given there is just a little slow traffic or down hill in the route, where you can coast.

Overall due to 7-8th gear advantage, and TU2 can run miller cycle, I do expect 50e go to better on highway.
nZtiZia4652.00
      10-30-2023, 12:43 PM   #47
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3dual View Post
Just completed my first roadtrip in the 50e.

Distance traveled: 344.8 miles
Gals of fuel used: 10.322
MPG: 33.4 (spot on with the car's calculation)
Battery % at start: 100%
Battery % at end: 8%
Estimated kWh used: 18.4
Electric cost: $2.23 (assuming 10% charging efficiency loss and 11 cents/kWh)

Driven entirely in the default Hybrid mode. Destination set in Nav so battery was sparingly used until remaining distance to go was within the electric-only range at which time the car used exclsuively electric and I arrived with an estimated 3 miles of remaining electric-only range.

Mostly 65-75 mph just cruising. No aggressive overtakes/passing. 600 ft overall drop in elevation. Half of the drive was in light to moderate rain. First half temp in the 50s. Second half in the 70s. Headwinds/tailwinds pretty much cancelled out.

I would imagine on longer drives where the electric-only portion is a smaller percentage of the total distance travelled, the MPG would be more reflective of a mostly B58 propulsion and settle-in somewhere around 29-30 mpg.

1,200 mile ICE break-in completed with this trip. So, looking forward to exceeding 4,500 rpm!
Do you mind sharing a screen capture if the trip computer in idrive “since factory”? I can calculate mpg and mile/kWh.

I can also share some read out from quite a few members here, of course with their name redacted. 😁
      10-30-2023, 03:14 PM   #48
Aussiejem
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e on order

Are 50e owners getting around 45 - 50 miles on full electric around town? BMW says"up to 110km" full electric, hopefully I get up to 80kms (49 miles)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #49
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejem View Post
Are 50e owners getting around 45 - 50 miles on full electric around town? BMW says"up to 110km" full electric, hopefully I get up to 80kms (49 miles)
Which country matter to the answer. US get much less than Europe, maybe average to 40-42 miles from what I read.
      10-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #50
Aussiejem
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e on order

Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 04:48 PM   #51
cat3dual
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Do you mind sharing a screen capture if the trip computer in idrive “since factory”? I can calculate mpg and mile/kWh.

I can also share some read out from quite a few members here, of course with their name redacted. 😁
Not sure how helpful these numbers will be. They include SUBSTANTIAL Battery Hold & Sport Mode use to force ICE operation (and yet I still have a few dozen miles during this trip to complete break-in). So, not really reflective of "normal" or efficient driving behavior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:09 PM   #52
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat3dual View Post
Not sure how helpful these numbers will be. They include SUBSTANTIAL Battery Hold & Sport Mode use to force ICE operation (and yet I still have a few dozen miles during this trip to complete break-in). So, not really reflective of "normal" or efficient driving behavior.
This actually give a much more accurate measurement for MPG. This is my simple estimation. Things make sense. Combined/average MPG is 22.5. mi/kwh is 2.33 which is on the high side, but not unheard of.
Attached Images

10-30-2023, 05:34 PM   #53
cat3dual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This actually give a much more accurate measurement for MPG. This is my simple estimation. Things make sense. Combined/average MPG is 22.5. mi/kwh is 2.33 which is on the high side, but not unheard of.
Thank you for the insight. When I finish break-in and have my fun, I'll reset the "Trip Individual" and track for the next couple thousand miles and see what "normal" looks like. My ICE use is going to decrease dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:55 PM   #54
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

as promise, here is a list of members that gave me their trip computer read out. There are more entries, just need to filter them to make sure data is valid. In this table, I sorted the total miles driven from top because they are more valid data. The last column are ICE MPG and EV mile/kWh after I separted ICE mile and EV mile. The green box means reading is maxed out, so actual number should be higher. The red box indicated data definitely not valide

I also plotted histogram. Majority of data point for mile/kWh fall between 1.81 to 2.03. Highest is 3.44, I had doubt but we discussed and think it is valid. It is from member is very unique location and driving style. 3.44 is about where Tesla Model Y average is. This member has some of the finest control right foot, very impressive. You know who you are. As for ICE MPG, I take these as combined MPG, majority is right at 22MPG. This does NOT include my own data. But my own data match this result. I did about 7 tanks of gas, across 3.5 months, without charging HVB. Result in 22.x MPG combined as well.

45e and 50e member feel free to send me your trip computer read out, I will log these and update once in a while or upon request. You name will of course be redacted out.
Attached Images

Last edited by eelnoraa; 10-31-2023 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
bono277.00
      10-31-2023, 12:33 AM   #55
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Adding my dp
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 12:35 AM   #56
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
as promise, here is a list of members that gave me their trip computer read out. There are more entries, just need to filter them to make sure data is valid. In this table, I sorted the total miles driven from top because they are more valid data. The last column are ICE MPG and EV mile/kWh after I separted ICE mile and EV mile. The green box means reading is maxed out, so actual number should be higher. The red box indicated data definitely not valide

I also plotted histogram. Majority of data point for mile/kWh fall between 1.81 to 2.03. Highest is 3.44, I had doubt but we discussed and think it is valid. It is from member is very unique location and driving style. 3.44 is about where Tesla Model Y average is. This member has some of the finest control right foot, very impressive. You know who you are. As for ICE MPG, I take these as combined MPG, majority is right at 22MPG. This does NOT include my own data. But my own data match this result. I did about 7 tanks of gas, across 3.5 months, without charging HVB. Result in 22.x MPG combined as well.

45e and 50e member feel free to send me your trip computer read out, I will log these and update once in a while or upon request. You name will of course be redacted out.
Would you mind also mark out which are 45e and which are 50e to see if there is any difference or not please?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 12:54 AM   #57
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
Would you mind also mark out which are 45e and which are 50e to see if there is any difference or not please?
done. You are the 2nd 50e member to share, so very easy to to add. Here is my estimation on your car.

not sure if average speed record is available on 50e trip computer. I found both ICE MPG and EV mi/kwh are almost linearly proportional to average speed. Linear fit equation is:

MPG = 0.17 x (average speed in MPH) + 18.5. valid average MPH range is from about 20MPH to 50 MPH. the error on this one is small. I only need to throw out one outliner.

mi/kwh = 0.0444 x (average speed in MPH) + 0.959, valid average MPG range here is 11-36MPG. this one still fit pretty well. threw out two data point, including one show 0.39mi/kWh with average speed of 48MPH, which doesn't make sense at all. I can easily do 2.3Mi/kWh at 48MPH.

Majory average MPH is between 20-25. Keep in mind, these are mostly since factory. You can certainly have high average MPG on a road trip, but it seem overall the life if the cars, average MPH is quite low. It kind of make sense, because it is mile per hour. The dominator is time, meaning for the same miles, the car spend a lot more time at slow speed. I can accept this explanation.
Attached Images

Last edited by eelnoraa; 10-31-2023 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2023, 01:10 AM   #58
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
done. You are the 2nd 50e member to share, so very easy to to add. Here is my estimation on your car.
Thanks! Seems data agrees with my own evaluation that I am a heavy foot driver lol (and especially in sports mode with engine on)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:58 AM   #59
cat3dual
United_States
Rep

A
Quote:

That is fascinating info. The more helpful calculation for me (in terms of understanding the efficiency of the vehicle) is evaluating the following:

Total Miles Driven: 2140.8
Actual Gals + kWh Equivalent Gals Used: 49.9+13.1 = 63

2140.8 / 63 = 34.0 mpge

Once I stop using the ICE in the city where it's not efficient and mostly just use the battery, I'm hoping to improve significantly on that number!

Last edited by cat3dual; 10-31-2023 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Modify terms used
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:59 PM   #60
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

So the Actual MPG is driving in pure ICE mode, not in hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 04:28 PM   #61
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post
Regardless of the mode selected, you will still get some augmentation from the EV motor. There is no way to totally disconnect the EV motor from helping out when the computer dictates it's useful. So, even in sport mode, you're getting some EV help at least sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 04:41 PM   #62
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Regardless of the mode selected, you will still get some augmentation from the EV motor. There is no way to totally disconnect the EV motor from helping out when the computer dictates it's useful. So, even in sport mode, you're getting some EV help at least sometimes.
This is absolutely incorrect. I can clearly show for a stress or 150 miles in sport mode, eDrive mile = 0. And I purposely test this. I even have a video pointing at the energy flow screen, and Edrive never engage. In fact, most highway cruising is in sport mode, eDrive is not involved at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #63
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

In my calculation, there is limitation. It is estimating pure ICE mpg. The kWh from regen will get added to kWh used and Edrive miles. So technically hybrid mpg will be higher. But since regen is rather weak in 45e, I think error should be very small, single digit percentage. Another reason I make this claim is I did drive the car for 3.5 months without charging, result combine mpg is still 22.x, very similar to if I did this calculation for my car.

There are so much misinformation on the drive chain, mysterifiy information. The fact is, very rare both Edrive and ICE drive the car at the same time. Even in those 30->85mph hard acceleration in sport mode, eDrive won’t kick in. From what I have seen only hard acceleration from very slow speed in sport M/S mode, both ice and Edrive will work together for a few seconds. So for practical purpose, eDrive and ice are really working independently for majority of driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:05 PM   #64
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
This is not accurate. In sports more ev motor only helps out when you press accelerator over a certain point. You will see e-boost on top of techometer when this happens.

The hv battery does charge the 12v system which run the vehicle electronics; but that is not very relevant to this discussion
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 05:13 PM   #65
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
This is not accurate. In sports more ev motor only helps out when you press accelerator over a certain point. You will see e-boost on top of techometer when this happens.

The hv battery does charge the 12v system which run the vehicle electronics; but that is not very relevant to this discussion
That yes, but I have seen it eboost actually kick in at 0/5MPH when launch hard. It is where ICE needs help the most. But it last no more than 1-2s. This type of usage is very rare in daily practical usage.

Adding one more piece of detail. 45e really need eDrive to help to achieve good 0-60, because 45e's first gear is unusually tall. If not for eDrive, it will be bad for acceleration and clutch wear. First gear ratio comparison

40i: 5.25
45e: 4.72
50e: 5.5

looking at these 50e has the best 0-60 also make sense. 1st gear is very short to achieve a great launch, maybe even eboost isn't needed much

Last edited by eelnoraa; 10-31-2023 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 06:39 PM   #66
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Depending on your current speed, and how far you press the accelerator, you can get both the ICE and EV motors to work simultaneously in all modes. It may only be for a very short time, and may not record as distance traveled in EV mode since the ICE is running, but you will get the advantage of the EV motor in all modes.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50