Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X5 40i, '22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
Phone settings would affect downloading to the vehicle, but the issue brought up by the OP, and that I too experienced, is the vehicle failing to install the downloaded update. This is confirmed by the iDrive reporting the software has been downloaded and will advise when it can be installed, but never does.

It is an issue recognized by BMW, according to the service manager at my dealer.
2019 X5, installed probably 3 OTA updates just fine, 4th one stalled after uploading, eventually expired. Soon thereafter, #5 appeared, downloaded to car easily from phone, also stalled. Took to dealer who updated with most recent version they had, which was a generation beyond what I was trying to install OTA. In so doing, they read all codes, found a minor code for a heating element in the windshield for the front facing camera, had to replace windshield. Not sure would have found if I didn't ask dealer to update the iDrive software. (And it was 4 days before warranty expired!). New windshield under warranty.

Now I wonder about the next OTA update...I guess we'll see......
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #24
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

having the same problem in the uk. I'm still on 11/2022/58. It tells me 11/2022/60 is downloaded on the car but it won't give me an install prompt. its been stuck like this for months. Just given up now as its now out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #25
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Frequent driving of the vehicle even on a long trip does NOT guarantee that your battery is fully charged. Except when it gets below about 70%, the computer doesn't engage the clutch to the alternator unless you're slowing down, which may not happen on a longer trip on cruise. The computer won't try to do a s/w update unless the battery is above a certain point. Now, there could easily be other things it's checking to determine if it's ready, and I do wish BMW would tell us WHY it won't update, but that has not happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #26
dsewell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i

03/2023 firmware not update

I have the same issue since download the firmware from 03/2023. I finally bring into the dealer for service. This doesn't make sense to me but the service tech was saying my battery is weaken, therefore it's prevent the system from performing the update. Anyway, I'm glad they fixed the issue and I don't have to pay anything and they say it under warranty.
Here is the exact word from the repair. Good luck with your...
"1. found customer remote download was ready to start in march. connected charger. performed short test, found fault for under voltage. performed energy diag. out come was replace battery diag code
D8700_RSU00000_90_214. removed and replaced battery with new. registered battery. programmed vehicle to
newest software level. vehicle software is now up to date
Parts
61-21-5-440-E29-EP Battery 92AH1"
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 08:52 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

My first BMW required a new battery after only a year. I then started to use a battery maintainer on a regular basis. My driving habits did not change. That battery lasted 7-years, and probably would have lasted longer but I had an accident (had a stroke and crashed my airplane), and did not put the maintainer back on while the thing sat in the garage not being driven.

The 12vdc recharging logic is similar on pretty much all BMWs these days...while the PHEV and ICE versions have difference sources of that energy, the end result is similar. It takes a certain mix of stop and go traffic in the mix to achieve a long-term battery life or, use a battery maintainer. Unlike more conventional recharging systems, BMW does not try to maintain the battery at full level. This is one reason why they specify a fairly large CCA unit and an AGM type.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 07:16 AM   #28
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Frequent driving of the vehicle even on a long trip does NOT guarantee that your battery is fully charged. Except when it gets below about 70%, the computer doesn't engage the clutch to the alternator unless you're slowing down, which may not happen on a longer trip on cruise. The computer won't try to do a s/w update unless the battery is above a certain point. Now, there could easily be other things it's checking to determine if it's ready, and I do wish BMW would tell us WHY it won't update, but that has not happened.
someone found these errors when scanning, though they really weren’t specific
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30306174
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #29
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well, yes, if the computer lists a fault for that area, it won't perform the update...but, those descriptions still don't really tell us why it is failing. I suppose you could try to clear those faults and see if you then have any luck. THey may just pop back up again.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 10:09 AM   #30
Daddy Droid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2020 BMW X5 not initiating 03/2023.50 upgrade after transfer.

Like others on here, I am having trouble with my 2020 BMW X5 not initiating the 03/2023.50 upgrade after successfully transferring from my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I've posted pictures of my dashboard, showing that the upgrade is pending, as well as the MyBMW app status for the upgrade.

From what others have posted, it sounds like I'll need to go into the dealership to facilitate the upgrade and possibly determine the root cause of the issue preventing the upgrade. I've been successful with upgrading via the app before, so I'm surprised that this has been problematic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ppk30.00
FLYZ97.50
      07-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

PUt your vehicle on a battery charger until it indicates the battery is full and see if that makes a difference. Note, a trickle or maintainer level battery charger will not recharge your 48v battery...it takes a charger with >20A to accomplish that and the hood must be open for it to work. Just like your phone or other smart electronics, they often won't start an update until the battery(s) are above a certain threshold. THen, the vehicle should be parked on the level, in park, off, and the parking brake on. It is recommended that you do it outside in case something goes wrong, so it can be accessed.

If that doesn't work, you may need to talk to your dealer.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2023, 06:19 PM   #32
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
PUt your vehicle on a battery charger until it indicates the battery is full and see if that makes a difference. Note, a trickle or maintainer level battery charger will not recharge your 48v battery...it takes a charger with >20A to accomplish that and the hood must be open for it to work. Just like your phone or other smart electronics, they often won't start an update until the battery(s) are above a certain threshold. THen, the vehicle should be parked on the level, in park, off, and the parking brake on. It is recommended that you do it outside in case something goes wrong, so it can be accessed.

If that doesn't work, you may need to talk to your dealer.
I've done all of this and still no install. At this point I don't care if it ever installs as I have no issues with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 08:09 PM   #33
pitosalas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 3 series

Same exact problem

2020 3xi, latest update successfully downloaded, waiting for "conditions to be right" to do the install.

Parked the car overnight, with parking break engaged, good cellular coverate. Several times. No install.

As someone said, this update doesn't bring anything too special anyway. It seems that only the dealer can actually get this to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 08:23 PM   #34
Mduffy71
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E28, e36 m3’s, e30 335i, 911,

Garage List
I’m the same on my 45e all downloaded to the car for weeks not but have not been prompted to install yet
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #35
bjd_NH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 3.0

I have the exact same issue and the dealer just gives me the runaround. It transfers from the phone but will not install even though all the criteria are met (parked, level, auto-start disabled, etc) it won't install. Has anyone figured out a solution to this? I tried resetting the system and that failed (and had to redo all my settings after). This happens every time there is an update.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #36
bjd_NH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW Z4 3.0

I know that many people are claiming it's the low battery, but I have 100% on my battery (according to the charger) and the install still locks. All of the other preconditions have been met including disabling remote start for preventilation.
Maybe there are multiple reasons this thing fails.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:29 PM   #37
boba_balla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e Phytonic Blue

After a couple months of not being able to upgrade despite all the notifications in the car and phone app, I finally got it to work based on a recommendation provided by someone on the FB forum - (iphone/iOS) go to the Setttings for the MyBMW app and then enable "Local Network". Once I did that, the next time I got into my car it started to download. After I finished driving that session, when I parked my car it asked if I wanted to start the upgrade.

This was not my first upgrade and never had to do that before, but it's possible maybe the "Local Network" setting was reset to Off from a previous iOS update or MyBMW app update.

[EDIT] - Basically what nZtiZia has been saying a few times in this thread already heh (sorry didn't read thru the entire thread before I replied)
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      08-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #38
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

There are two different situations: one where you can't download to the vehicle...that one requires you have the iOS permission set to allow file sharing, and the other one where once it is IN the vehicle, it won't start the update.

If you have the mild hybrid, you have to ensure both the 12 and 48vdc batteries are charged. The fact the 12vdc battery is fully charged, appears to not be enough. In order to get the 48vdc battery to charge, first, the hood must be opened, and the charger must be >20A capacity, otherwise, it just charges the 12vdc battery. Other than that, if all of the other parameters are met, it could be a stored fault in memory. I've not tried this, but if you have a capable OBD II device, (it would need to be able to see, query, and clear BMW unique codes), you might try clearing those.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #39
E70X5M35i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Droid View Post
Like others on here, I am having trouble with my 2020 BMW X5 not initiating the 03/2023.50 upgrade after successfully transferring from my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

I've posted pictures of my dashboard, showing that the upgrade is pending, as well as the MyBMW app status for the upgrade.

From what others have posted, it sounds like I'll need to go into the dealership to facilitate the upgrade and possibly determine the root cause of the issue preventing the upgrade. I've been successful with upgrading via the app before, so I'm surprised that this has been problematic.
were you able to get it to install?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:15 PM   #40
goofytek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 40i M-Sport

Garage List
I have the same issue as everyone else. Everything is downloaded and transferred to the car, but it has not prompted to install. It has done every other OTA before this without fail.

Just like other, I made sure the battery was at %100 using a tender and been driving the car everyday. Might had racked up almost 300 miles since the transfer but no prompt yet.

2020 X5 40i

Last edited by goofytek; 08-17-2023 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: More details
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #41
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZ View Post
OK, people who keep talking about the phone connections, I seriously don't know how much more clearly I can state this - the update has already transferred from the phone to the car. The connection works. It did work. It still works. It worked so well that the updated transferred from the phone to the car weeks ago. My phone knows it. The myBMW app knows it. The car knows it. Everything agrees that the update has transferred. It has NOTHING to do with my phone because the data is already off of my phone and in the car. I simply cannot get the car to initiate the installation of the update program. In fact, my phone keeps telling me that the update has transferred and I need to follow the on-screen prompts in the car to complete the install - the car just won't initiate it.

However, MotoWPK has essentially told me everything I need to know. Sounds like I need the dealer to initiate the install. Thanks for the help, Moto.
Most likely you got a corrupted download, and the car is not recognizing it dealer can fix it
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 06:51 PM   #42
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

After reading some posts about ASS I've decided that IF I would get the message that the update is ready to install I'm not going to start it. I don't want to chance that I won't be able to retain the coding to keep the ASS from having to be cancelled every time I start the vehicle. I now have it coded to stay OFF every time the vehicle is started.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 11:13 PM   #43
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Received the update today, downloaded it to my phone without issue, and uploaded it to my '22 45e without issue. The update finished transferring as I was pulling into a Lowe's, and when I turned off my 45e the notification to perform the update appeared right next to the notifications for pre-conditioning and others as it has my last 2 OTAs. Said it take 20mins to complete, and that's roughly the time I needed to grab some new air filters. Came back outside and the update was completed.

Of course all my coding was wiped, but my worry was the Anti-Dazzle coding. Took a little test drive about at 930p, and I'm glad to say it wasn't wiped! This is the 3rd time I've received an OTA and it didn't wipe out that coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 04:01 PM   #44
lknbimmers
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90/G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
After reading some posts about ASS I've decided that IF I would get the message that the update is ready to install I'm not going to start it. I don't want to chance that I won't be able to retain the coding to keep the ASS from having to be cancelled every time I start the vehicle. I now have it coded to stay OFF every time the vehicle is started.
Update for 03/2023.50 waiting to install but haven't executed.
Wanted to confirm that ASS isn't disabled if you have the button on the center console.
Also coding still works if you have the button to turn ASS on/off.

If this isn't the case I will not install this update.
Appreciate 0