Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
BugKiller?
There's one picture you didn't whiteout the actual plate alphanumerics
BUGKILLR would be a great plate and quite appropriate that summer as I believe I was responsible for eliminating an entire species of insects along 401 and 400 with the X5. But no, that's not my plate. I guess my "photoshop" skills are good enough for the forum :-).
You got me. That's for sure. Was curious what sentimental value could BUGKILLER hold..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #134
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I was looking at this Sly brackets. People in this thread had concerns about only two screws to hold the license plate. So is it sturdy enough?
SlyBrackets offers a full 4-screw plate frame, which i used to mount mine including the Leveler. (the plate will angle downward a bit without the Leveler.)
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 05-12-2021 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #135
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
I was looking at this Sly brackets. People in this thread had concerns about only two screws to hold the license plate. So is it sturdy enough?
SlyBrackets offers a full 4-screw plate frame, which i used to mount mine including the Leveler. (the plate will angle downward a bit without the Leveler.)
perfect, thanks..I am getting this as well
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:55 PM   #136
WAARBA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover696969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAARBA View Post
Thanks for all of the knowledge guys. Living in NY, I needed a front plate solution. On my F16 I had Cravenspeed. But Cravenspeed hasn't figured it out for the G05.

Went with the Sly Bracket solution on my 2021 X5 M Sport. I dont have ACC so I was able to center on the grill. Was able to install nice with no touching without using any of the supplied spacers. Yes, it does angle down a touch, but its a clean centered look, and I dont have to open up the tow opening. I purchased the option with four screw bolt on for the plate. Very snug.

Highly recommended if anyone is struggling with a front plate solution.
https://www.slybrackets.com/store/SL...LLE-p287756002

Was this what you got?
Which options did you tick off on their site?
I picked up the four hole bracket with the security screws. You may consider the leveler bracket… but after having the slybracket on my car past few weeks, I dont see a need for it
      02-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #137
jdubstub
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
that would be fantastic

wait so was that approved?
I researched it. The bill didn't even make it to Committee. It's dead in the water.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:33 PM   #138
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubstub View Post
I researched it. The bill didn't even make it to Committee. It's dead in the water.
I still don't run a front plate but that's unfortunate
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #139
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:
hey nZtiZia

Thanks for the post. I wanted to make sure you have no issues with any of the sensors ie: parking and assisted driving pro etc. with this plate holder.

This is just one last check before I order
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:46 PM   #140
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mors View Post
Quote:
hey nZtiZia

Thanks for the post. I wanted to make sure you have no issues with any of the sensors ie: parking and assisted driving pro etc. with this plate holder.

This is just one last check before I order
no sensor issues whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 01:38 AM   #141
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no sensor issues whatsoever
Ordered thanks guys.. this forum is a wealth of info and community makes it what it is ..

Outstanding!!!!
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4656.00
      03-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #142
Phizbam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread. My 2022 X5 xDrive 40i with M Sport package with every optional package available went into production today, and I just ordered the Sly bracket with 4 screw holder and leveler so I'll have it when the car is delivered to the dealership.

Having this thread allowed me to make an informed choice.
Appreciate 4
nZtiZia4656.00
1Mors436.50
Miata1387.00
      03-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #143
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

I used rare earth magnets to attach the front license plate on my Miata. I taped magnets to the backside from the front fascia and taped matching magnets to the license plate. Those magnets are so strong that you really have to be careful with them to not loose the tip of a finger and that license plate isn't going anywhere at any speed. Yet, there's no modification to the car at all and it looks perfectly placed on that car. Hopeful that a similar solution is available to me on the X5 M50i I just ordered.

https://www.amazingmagnets.com/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #144
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I used rare earth magnets to attach the front license plate on my Miata. I taped magnets to the backside from the front fascia and taped matching magnets to the license plate. Those magnets are so strong that you really have to be careful with them to not loose the tip of a finger and that license plate isn't going anywhere at any speed. Yet, there's no modification to the car at all and it looks perfectly placed on that car. Hopeful that a similar solution is available to me on the X5 M50i I just ordered.

https://www.amazingmagnets.com/default.aspx
You taped the magnets behind that plastic piece and the magnetism worked through the thick plastic? Which magnet specifically did you use from that site?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #145
PittsDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
You taped the magnets behind that plastic piece and the magnetism worked through the thick plastic? Which magnet specifically did you use from that site?
Absolutely worked great. When I say working with these magnets are dangerous I'm serious. They are so strong that the 1" round, 1/4" thick magnets will crush your finger tip if you get between them. They come with 1/4" nylon spacers between them so that you can get them apart individually. If you let two of them snap together you will not get them apart using a vice and big channel lock pliers. You'll break the magnets before you can get them apart. Seriously strong magnetic force.

There was quite a comedy of mistakes when I first started working with these things. For example, I wanted to lay two of these magnets on a strip of tape before applying to the back of the fascia. Nope, as soon as I let go of the second magnet on the tape that was placed 3 inches from the other magnet, they snapped together so hard and fast that I was pretty happy my fingers weren't in the way. This is how I know that you can't get them back apart!

Four magnets taped to the plate and four taped to the backside of the fascia has the license plate very firmly attached. I can lever it off using a lot of force and it leaves no mark on the fascia.
Appreciate 1
njnets21245.00
      03-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #146
jailangoju
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAARBA View Post
Thanks for all of the knowledge guys. Living in NY, I needed a front plate solution. On my F16 I had Cravenspeed. But Cravenspeed hasn't figured it out for the G05.

Went with the Sly Bracket solution on my 2021 X5 M Sport. I dont have ACC so I was able to center on the grill. Was able to install nice with no touching without using any of the supplied spacers. Yes, it does angle down a touch, but its a clean centered look, and I dont have to open up the tow opening. I purchased the option with four screw bolt on for the plate. Very snug.

Highly recommended if anyone is struggling with a front plate solution.
Looking great!
Have you checked if blocking the radiator with the license plate can cause any cooling issues? and if so, is it even possible to install the plate a little higher so that it sits above the lower grill? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #147
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This installation of slybracket doesn't block anything. Looks great too. I will show you some shots of my installation and what I did.

I put a felt pad on the back where it could possibly touch the front of the grill but it fits like a glove.. No issues at all with any sensor and it doesn't block airflow at all. It also has spacers or you can use your own washers to dial it in close.. I love it
Attached Images

Last edited by 1Mors; 04-18-2022 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4656.00
      05-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #148
zx2reme
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 X40i

Has anyone used these. Was going to order for my g06. Says it works with msport and adaptive cruise.

https://carbonio.com/products/bmw-x6...se-plate-mount
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #149
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
most have opted for the Sly Brackets but I've read a couple use the Carbonio though no photos
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:28 PM   #150
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, read recently that CA has a pilot program where they are using a stick on plate to go on vehicles on the front, so no holes, and it peels off with no paint damage, assuming the paint was in good shape in the first place. If it works out, they may allow them for the rear as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:00 PM   #151
chayden2005
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
https://licenseplatewrap.com/

Reading through the site and other references, it looks like it's still a pilot program but available to a limited amount of people.
Personally, if the DMV okayed it then who cares who makes it. Probably just needs to be properly reflective where they want. I'm sure there's a bunch of people on Pinterest already cranking them out. Plus, I seriously doubt the police are going to pull you over if it looks legit. If it matches the back and doesn't come back as a stolen plate or not matching the vehicle it's on.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #152
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
if placed on a vehicle in a state where it's not approved, it's rarity will surely get one pulled over and likely cited
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #153
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just installed the SlyBrackets today, but the plate is slightly tilted forward. I did bought the leveler, but couldn't follow the installation instruction. Can you show a picture without the license plate, so I can see how the leveler is supposed to work? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #154
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just installed the SlyBrackets today, but the plate is slightly tilted forward. I did bought the leveler, but couldn't follow the installation instruction. Can you show a picture without the license plate, so I can see how the leveler is supposed to work? Thanks
if you scroll up in my earlier post, the 2nd photo shows the leveler (side view)
Appreciate 0