03-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #331
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
Yes Doc, I was referring to the car, rejection rather than acceptance then all the other stages can be missed

Can't believe that owners are accepting them with some of the photos of rear seats posted on the forum.
That's because many owners just give in and put up with the shoddy workmanship. That's what BMW is counting on.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #332
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i - on order!

Hi All,

X3 M40i owner here (2019 MY). I picked up my vehicle at the Performance Center and was fearing my vehicle would have the dreaded wrinkly seats. Thankfully, it did not. Not ONE wrinkle. I was over the moon happy. Black Vernasca is my hide.

On the contrary, an older couple was completely displeased upon finding their Canberra Beige rear seats FULL of wrinkles. Very distressed, they sat at my same lunch table and lodged a claim with the CA. Two vehicles, same delivery date at PC, one with no wrinkles and one chock full of 'em. There is no way this is by design.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #333
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyM View Post
Hi All,

X3 M40i owner here (2019 MY). I picked up my vehicle at the Performance Center and was fearing my vehicle would have the dreaded wrinkly seats. Thankfully, it did not. Not ONE wrinkle. I was over the moon happy. Black Vernasca is my hide.

On the contrary, an older couple was completely displeased upon finding their Canberra Beige rear seats FULL of wrinkles. Very distressed, they sat at my same lunch table and lodged a claim with the CA. Two vehicles, same delivery date at PC, one with no wrinkles and one chock full of 'em. There is no way this is by design.
You’re right, Holly, there is no way this by design. Nice to see someone with some intelligence on this subject.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      03-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #334
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Hi All,

You have an X3, correct, not an X5?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #335
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

No wrinkles on the 2019 X4 M40i either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yz-VmbN1d5I
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #336
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

FYI, our dealer had their first X7 on display out front yesterday...has Tartufo Merino leather seats (bench seat in the 2nd row) and it had the same amount of wrinkles in the seats that our X5 with Tartufo has. Which in my mind, aren't very bad at all. I don't even notice them anymore. So I can confirm the X7 DOES have the same wrinkles as the X5 (at least with the bench seat in the 2nd row...maybe the captain's chairs don't have wrinkles because I believe the design mimics the front seats).
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #337
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
FYI, our dealer had their first X7 on display out front yesterday...has Tartufo Merino leather seats (bench seat in the 2nd row) and it had the same amount of wrinkles in the seats that our X5 with Tartufo has. Which in my mind, aren't very bad at all. I don't even notice them anymore. So I can confirm the X7 DOES have the same wrinkles as the X5 (at least with the bench seat in the 2nd row...maybe the captain's chairs don't have wrinkles because I believe the design mimics the front seats).
Nooooooooooooooooo!!! The one gentleman in the X7 forum that took delivery 2 days ago showed his rig pictures. With Captain's chairs there were not wrinkles in the 2nd row, but did have wrinkles in the 3rd row bench.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #338
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Nooooooooooooooooo!!! The one gentleman in the X7 forum that took delivery 2 days ago showed his rig pictures. With Captain's chairs there were not wrinkles in the 2nd row, but did have wrinkles in the 3rd row bench.
I posted some pictures of the captains chairs in the X7. Wrinkles were better, but on the bottom of the seats in the two I saw.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #339
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Embrace the wrinkles
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #340
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Doc5513,

Yes, X3 M40i. But the reason I chimed in on this subject on your Forum is because this issue was also brought up and discussed a bunch on the G01 forum. Many people experiencing the same wrinkled seats on our vehicle. Thank God mine was free from such poor workmanship. I advised the Performance Center in advance, through several e-mails, that I would steadfastly refuse delivery if mine bore such wrinkles.

When I took delivery, there was a slight whitish "scuff" - barely perceptible (except to perfectionist me) - on the rear center headrest. They promptly removed the headrest, made a call over to the factory, and in less than 30 minutes, presented a new Black Vernasca headrest, still wrapped in plastic, for installation in my vehicle. When I left Spartanburg, my vehicle had perfect leather everywhere. I could not have been more relieved and pleased.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #341
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Doc5513,

Yes, X3 M40i. But the reason I chimed in on this subject on your Forum is because this issue was also brought up and discussed a bunch on the G01 forum. Many people experiencing the same wrinkled seats on our vehicle. Thank God mine was free from such poor workmanship. I advised the Performance Center in advance, through several e-mails, that I would steadfastly refuse delivery if mine bore such wrinkles.

When I took delivery, there was a slight whitish "scuff" - barely perceptible (except to perfectionist me) - on the rear center headrest. They promptly removed the headrest, made a call over to the factory, and in less than 30 minutes, presented a new Black Vernasca headrest, still wrapped in plastic, for installation in my vehicle. When I left Spartanburg, my vehicle had perfect leather everywhere. I could not have been more relieved and pleased.
I don't recall seeing any "wrinkle" threads for g01's...huh...news to me
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #342
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

FWIW, Saw another G05. No way these are intentional. It's just plain sloppy. Middle seat smooth. Seat bottoms mostly smooth. Inner portion of outer seat backs randomly and non-uniformly wrinkles. And then entirely different wrinkles around the outside of the seat backs.

It's not the end of the world, we're not talking a bad engine. But this is nowhere near BMW luxury standards. In this case, the wrinkles were actually worse than captured in the pictures. The right seat (left in the pictures) has a real nasty wave to it on the inside portion that buts up to the middle seat. Couldn't quite capture it in the pictures.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #343
GTFM3
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
FWIW, Saw another G05. No way these are intentional. It's just plain sloppy. Middle seat smooth. Seat bottoms mostly smooth. Inner portion of outer seat backs randomly and non-uniformly wrinkles. And then entirely different wrinkles around the outside of the seat backs.

It's not the end of the world, we're not talking a bad engine. But this is nowhere near BMW luxury standards. In this case, the wrinkles were actually worse than captured in the pictures. The right seat (left in the pictures) has a real nasty wave to it on the inside portion that buts up to the middle seat. Couldn't quite capture it in the pictures.

Despite all the comments suggesting that this is no big deal, these photos are ridiculous...downright embarrassing. Some look fine, others passable, but some wouldn't pass in a Yugo. How long does this have to persist until they dump Magna and return to their original supplier. Unfortunately that would require some bean-counting short-sighted manager to admit a mistake. Won't hold my breath. But I will delay any order until it's fixed. If not, I'll increase budget & get another Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #344
Doc5513
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Ok so yes those suuuuuck!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #345
HollyM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

BMWZ4,

I said it was discussed, not that there was a thread dedicated to the issue. If you go to the G01 Forum, and enter 'wrinkle' in the Search function, you will find several threads in which it was discussed. After devouring this forum as I waited for my M40i to come off the production line, I grew more concerned each day that my seats would be wrinkled. I lucked out, big time.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #346
ManitouX5
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5e 2024, X3 2018, SL 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFM3 View Post
Despite all the comments suggesting that this is no big deal, these photos are ridiculous...downright embarrassing. Some look fine, others passable, but some wouldn't pass in a Yugo. How long does this have to persist until they dump Magna and return to their original supplier. Unfortunately that would require some bean-counting short-sighted manager to admit a mistake. Won't hold my breath. But I will delay any order until it's fixed. If not, I'll increase budget & get another Porsche.
You're absolutely right, I wanted to change my X5 2017 for the new but I'm on the brakes, I would not accept to get my seats so ugly.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:05 PM   #347
jrjunior41
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

Quote:

[img]https://i365.photobucket.com/albums/...psmyiehjpj.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...psqgca5hwh.jpg[/img]
That is completely unreal. What a disaster for a high-end vehicle. How in the world are they gonna sell that car??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #348
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitouX3 View Post
You're absolutely right, I wanted to change my X5 2017 for the new but I'm on the brakes, I would not accept to get my seats so ugly.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:20 AM   #349
don20111
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G05

those last set of pictures are disgraceful, how could any quality control let that go through on a LUXURY car
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #350
BigSanj
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 M50D

so I have finally gone through the entire process of returning / rejecting my car based on my dis-satisfaction of the seats, completed this process 2 weeks ago,

BMW GB preferred me to reject the car rather than replace the seats in question (i still cannot fathom their logic but hey ho!)

the dealership have been incredibly helpful, i would say bending over backwards to assist, they offered me a few M50d's out of stock, but i did not take a liking to any of them, so they worked with me to build a new one, due end of June 2019,

in the interim they have worked with BMW GB Customer Services to keep me in a vehicle and get me a full refund, which in essence has now made up the new car.

My point here is (and i have harped on about this a lot); given the money we have spent on these "luxury vehicles" there is no way in the world we should be accepting the seats ergo the car.

I was surprised at how little come back i got from BMW as i was expecting a lot more of a fight, but i simply stated its unacceptable, the internet is rife with complaints and very easily articles can be found that BMW cut corners to save money on these seats and then changed manufacturer when realising the issue at hand was a bigger issue.

They had put me in a lovely 730d, however due to back issues, it took 1 phone call and on saturday they put me in a X3 for the next 3 months.

As much as i am not impressed with their "luxury seats", i am pleasantly surprised at their willingness to address this issue for me and most importantly keep me on the road at zero cost to me (admittedly they are making money from me given the amount of money i spend there.

I have been a loyal customer for 23 years and this year alone have bought 3 cars including my M50d, a 3 series saloon for my mother and 1 series hatchback as my run around.

To summarise my point is - if you genuinely dis-satisfied you have every right to complain and get the issue resolved.
Appreciate 3
thomas_Rp126.00
Wild Blue3683.50
Mark609166.50
      03-04-2019, 02:40 AM   #351
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSanj View Post
As much as i am not impressed with their "luxury seats", i am pleasantly surprised at their willingness to address this issue for me and most importantly keep me on the road at zero cost to me (admittedly they are making money from me given the amount of money i spend there.

I have been a loyal customer for 23 years and this year alone have bought 3 cars including my M50d, a 3 series saloon for my mother and 1 series hatchback as my run around.

To summarise my point is - if you genuinely dis-satisfied you have every right to complain and get the issue resolved.
After reading that, I'm not in the least surprised that they have addressed the issue in this way for you.....
They don't want a customer like you going elsewhere
      03-04-2019, 02:51 AM   #352
BigSanj
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
After reading that, I'm not in the least surprised that they have addressed the issue in this way for you.....
They don't want a customer like you going elsewhere
i agree, however i think they would be willing to address this for most people now, given thats it a "known issue" - God bless the internet and forum's as people can now air and discuss issues, most importantly its a public auditorium and BMW and other companies cannot hide....
Appreciate 1
GTFM377.50