BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Non-paperwork delivery time at the dealer?

How long did you spend at the dealer during delivery? I don’t mean signing the paperwork. I mean in the vehicle with the sales associate going over functions and iDrive settings?

My last BMW was a 40e several years ago, so I’m familiar with BMWs generally. But the 50e that’s getting delivered this week will be entirely different for me (plus I’m coming from a couple of Volvos back to back).

I know there are obvious things like phone pairing etc., but it seems like the options in 8.5 is a rabbit hole that I could spend all day on at first. At some point I think you could reach overload and just want to drive your car home and play with it later.

So how much time should I allocate for that part of the delivery? 30 minutes? An hour? Something else?

What are the things I absolutely have to go over with the sales associate before I drive off the lot?
      07-30-2023, 11:19 AM   #2
Luigi524TD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e MSport

I'm tech-savvy and a 30+ year BMW owner who spend many months viewing YouTubes and articles / tip sheets about the newest features and functions. I still spent an hour with my CA. It was a quick dash through the basics; most of that hour was setting up my "Profile", sorting out some issues with the APP (EVEN THOUGH I'VE USED IT FOR MY PAST 4 BMWs!!).

IMHO, depending on your retention capabilities - I'm older and still plagued with post-Covid stuff - it'll take some time to refresh your memory by using the various features over time and settling in to be sure they are "second nature". As I've said to many others - "This is NOT your Father's Oldsmobile!"

ENJOY your BMW !
2013 X1 3.5 MSport
1998 Z3 2.8
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      07-30-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Exactly 0 minutes. Did the paperwork, made sure both keys were working, and drove off. I like to explore the system and tech myself, and for sure can understand it better than the (not so) geniuses. If I did get stuck somewhere, searching the forum helped a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
How long did you spend at the dealer during delivery? I don’t mean signing the paperwork. I mean in the vehicle with the sales associate going over functions and iDrive settings?

My last BMW was a 40e several years ago, so I’m familiar with BMWs generally. But the 50e that’s getting delivered this week will be entirely different for me (plus I’m coming from a couple of Volvos back to back).

I know there are obvious things like phone pairing etc., but it seems like the options in 8.5 is a rabbit hole that I could spend all day on at first. At some point I think you could reach overload and just want to drive your car home and play with it later.

So how much time should I allocate for that part of the delivery? 30 minutes? An hour? Something else?

What are the things I absolutely have to go over with the sales associate before I drive off the lot?
Depends on how new the 8.0 system is to you. Do you have a My BWW app and logon already? Do you have connected drive? If so the process is quick. They will walk you through it if you want and 30-45 min should be good.

I have had i-drive 8 in 3 cars so I didn't spend anytime post docs. I have also gone through all the BMW how to video's before hand and
knew more than thew sales people.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...a8Pfj6kj_3Q78R

I also went through all the professional reviews of my model and they go over the car in detail.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 08:44 PM   #5
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post

They usually offer for you to call me back after a week or two after you had a chance to try things out.

I wouldn’t spend more than an hour. If it’s all new to you, you won’t retain much info. If you already know it all and have your app and id already set up - we’ll, you won’t need an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 12:11 AM   #6
iDriveBMWs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i, 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
2017 BMW 330i  [0.00]
We spent about 15-20 minutes with the Genius. I’m glad we did because we had some issues getting the BMW ID set up and he knew exactly what to do to resolve. Also asked me beforehand if there was anything specific I wanted to cover, and just spent time going over that.
Appreciate 0