BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

View Poll Results: When on a plane, what do you do with your phone?
Turn it off 26 31.71%
Put it into airplane mode 43 52.44%
Take my chances 13 15.85%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

01-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/co.../Products/Zulu

I present the Lightspeed Zulus.

Quote:
Bluetooth Connectivity

Full stereo music streaming (A2DP) compatibility allows wireless connection from Bluetooth phones or other devices.
if phones were so bad for planes, then why on earth would they encourage BT connectivity for your phone as a pilot. IMO these are the best headsets on the market for small planes. Small planes have less "shielding" against RF then a commerical (I would assume). I fly with my phone on, and never had problems.
      01-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #24
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I dunno why people can't just follow the goddamn rules.... Not to turn this into some kind of a political thread (we all know where those end up), but citizens of this country can be so fucking selfish sometimes.

I honestly don't care if it affects the plane or not, but being 6-3 ~250lbs I'm already really uncomfortable when I'm flying. The last thing I want to deal with is you making fucking phone calls 10" from my face. It's not like a train/bus/public street where I can get up and leave if you annoy me (not sure why I am I the one who has to move). Unfortunately on take off/landing I have to sit right next to you. While your wife/husband on the other end of the phone might think your voice is like a songbird, rest assured... I don't.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for staying connected and making the call, but if we do end up moving to a time when this is more widely accepted during air travel (not just on $8,000 flights to Dubai) I hope that airlines start building phone booth type structures up by the restrooms, etc. so people can make their calls without disturbing other passengers. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people on flights to Dubai have a respect for etiquette that people who just got a $99 cyber-saver to Vegas don't.

Last edited by Feyd; 01-05-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #25
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Girlfriend...nagging...for obvious features that was invented for the purpose....no way!!! Lol mine still uses 3 remotes in the house when we have a universal one.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I dunno why people can't just follow the goddamn rules.... Not to turn this into some kind of a political thread (we all know where those end up), but citizens of this country can be so fucking selfish sometimes.

I honestly don't care if it affects the plane or not, but being 6-3 ~250lbs I'm already really uncomfortable when I'm flying. The last thing I want to deal with is you making fucking phone calls 10" from my face. It's not like a train/bus/public street where I can get up and leave if you annoy me (not sure why I am I the one who has to move). Unfortunately on take off/landing I have to sit right next to you. While your wife/husband on the other end of the phone might think your voice is like a songbird, rest assured... I don't.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for staying connected and making the call, but if we do end up moving to a time when this is more widely accepted during air travel (not just on $8,000 flights to Dubai) I hope that airlines start building phone booth type structures up by the restrooms, etc. so people can make their calls without disturbing other passengers. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people on flights to Dubai have a respect for etiquette that people go just got a $99 cyber-saver to Vegas don't.
so do you like.. go to dubai??

and at 8,000$ to dubai, you're flying first class.. how are you still uncomfortable?
      01-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #27
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
Girlfriend...nagging...for obvious features that was invented for the purpose....no way!!! Lol mine still uses 3 remotes in the house when we have a universal one.

This is an eternal truth.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #28
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
so do you like.. go to dubai??

and at 8,000$ to dubai, you're flying first class.. how are you still uncomfortable?
No. I was making reference to an earlier post about someone flying to the UAE and being able to make phone calls.

And no... I only fly First Class when I'm elligible for upgrades from miles/points, or I'm on someone else's dime.

I fly quite a bit.. ~15k-20k a year. Not as much as some, but certainly enough to comment on the situation. All I was trying to do was to draw a comparison to the people who would be paying $8k for a ticket, vs. the ones who wouldn't. It is, by in large, a different class of people IMO and typically said class(es) act differently in "social" situations. I think we can all agree sitting in close physical proximity on an airplane is, for all intents and purposes social... whether you want it to be or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Garage List
I've never seen anyone actually talking on their phone while taking off/landing

I've had my phone turn on during flight (due to an alarm I forgot to turn off or whatever)

I was once flying into Milan and I had a guy go berserk because I decided to keep listening to my iPod on landing. He started yelling on board and the stewardess even told him to calm the hell down..
This "no phones on a plane and no electronics on take off/landing because it is a safety issue" misinformation shouldn't be spread.
      01-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I'm all for staying connected and making the call, but if we do end up moving to a time when this is more widely accepted during air travel (not just on $8,000 flights to Dubai) I hope that airlines start building phone booth type structures up by the restrooms, etc. so people can make their calls without disturbing other passengers. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people on flights to Dubai have a respect for etiquette that people who just got a $99 cyber-saver to Vegas don't.

If you do some research this is actually one of the #1 reasons why they keep the 'rule' intact.
It's for the flight attendants and other passengers.
It's already been proven that cell phones don't affect the plane in the slightest, anymore it's just more for 'forcing' courtesy on people.

Again, I repeat, it WILL not affect a plane. But as Feyd also brought up, don't be a dickhead and use it anyways....personal space people.
Oh and the part that almost everyone here forgot...leaving it on is also a sure fired way to drain that battery of yours too (constantly searching for a signal)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #31
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Seriously.....

If cell phones could "cause interference with communications (the radio)" or whatever they claim, why in the hell would they be allowed on a plane at all?

Think about it........

....a guy goes through security....

TSA: Sir, what is this device?
Passenger: It's a device that can possibly cause interference with the plane's communication system, rendering it inoperative!
TSA: Sir, you cannot take that on the plane! WTF are you thinking! You are going to be beaten, arrested, and charged with terrorism....

What the hell difference is a cell phone? If it were REALLY an issue, why would they allow it at all? Seriously....

Based on that lame ass argument, if I want to take my gun on the plane, it should be ok if I promise to "not use it" on the plane, or only when the safety (read airplane mode) is on. It should be ok, right? That's the same logic with the cell phone thing.

It's a bunch of BS....IMHO.

A commercial pilot once told me that when at lower altitudes, you can get cell signal, but not usually when high up. He told me the cell phone companies have billing issues as you are traveling so fast and skipping cell towers so quickly.

I have no idea if that is true, but it sure as hell makes a lot more sense than they may "cause interference with the fricken radio". LOL. What a joke. If cell phones were any danger whatsoever, they would be banned from the plane, just like a firearm or explosives.

That being said, I put mine in airplane mode as when I don't have a signal, it drains my battery. :-)
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #32
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Thumbs down

Quote:
No. I was making reference to an earlier post about someone flying to the UAE and being able to make phone calls.

And no... I only fly First Class when I'm elligible for upgrades from miles/points, or I'm on someone else's dime.

I fly quite a bit.. ~15k-20k a year. Not as much as some, but certainly enough to comment on the situation. All I was trying to do was to draw a comparison to the people who would be paying $8k for a ticket, vs. the ones who wouldn't. It is, by in large, a different class of people IMO and typically said class(es) act differently in "social" situations. I think we can all agree sitting in close physical proximity on an airplane is, for all intents and purposes social... whether you want it to be or not.
15k miles a year?? Sounds like a typical week for some of us. That's not even *S, so how do you get network upgrades? I think I did 30k in December and well over 40k in November for sure. I know I did about 300k on Star Alliance airlines alone in 2010... gotta get that 1K from UA and *G from the alliance! PIT-CDG-DBX-BLR-SIN-NRT-ORD-PIT was my "around the world" trip last month. I think I had another long one something like PIT-MCO-MIA-LHR-ZRH-TLV-PHL-SEA-ORD-PIT that month too. I flew to Doha 2 weeks ago on Qatar Air... good airline. I appreciated the pajamas in biz class too. Gotta have the lay-flats for a 14hr flight... (ps- Singapore, Tel Aviv & Istanbul ftw! if you like to party...)

I've taken a few flights to Dubai. Mostly Emirates connections to Bangalore from LHR or CDG... Most of those have also been in coach - biz times aren't what they used to be. I really don't care what type of communications one is engaging in, just don't touch me and please suffocate your child if it must cry. It's ugly anyways.

Your phone is not going to really affect any flight-critical systems. You're fine. It's all about pax control. You are easier to control when you've accepted certain limitations already. Plus, there are some real security concerns about allowing communication on the ground too. Note, some airlines ask you to turn it off once inside the aircraft.

But, it's doubtful that aircrew, pilots nor stewardesses, really know what's up. They're basically bus drivers/waitresses at this point. Most are coming from "pilot-mills" now anyways. And don't get me started on our US domestic light crews... wtf?! Is that 75yr old stewardess in FC gonna pull me outa a burning 777?? No. You will be pulling her out and she's ugly. I heard that Singapore Air used to have rules that if a chick got married, fat or preggers, that she'd be laid off. WISH we could do that with some UA and US stewardesses I see on a regular basis. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Seriously.....

If cell phones could "cause interference with communications (the radio)" or whatever they claim, why in the hell would they be allowed on a plane at all?

Think about it........

....a guy goes through security....

TSA: Sir, what is this device?
Passenger: It's a device that can possibly cause interference with the plane's communication system, rendering it inoperative!
TSA: Sir, you cannot take that on the plane! WTF are you thinking! You are going to be beaten, arrested, and charged with terrorism....

What the hell difference is a cell phone? If it were REALLY an issue, why would they allow it at all? Seriously....

Based on that lame ass argument, if I want to take my gun on the plane, it should be ok if I promise to "not use it" on the plane, or only when the safety (read airplane mode) is on. It should be ok, right? That's the same logic with the cell phone thing.

It's a bunch of BS....IMHO.

A commercial pilot once told me that when at lower altitudes, you can get cell signal, but not usually when high up. He told me the cell phone companies have billing issues as you are traveling so fast and skipping cell towers so quickly.

I have no idea if that is true, but it sure as hell makes a lot more sense than they may "cause interference with the fricken radio". LOL. What a joke. If cell phones were any danger whatsoever, they would be banned from the plane, just like a firearm or explosives.

That being said, I put mine in airplane mode as when I don't have a signal, it drains my battery. :-)
I dunno about the billing issues, but I concur. It's mostly BS. There are some short connecting routes where I can hold a call the entire time due to low alt.

-=-

If ya want to chat about air travel... I know a thing or two. But, if a few things work out at my job, I'll actually be able to drive my car once in a while...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
You sound like an FT'er
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

Clearly, you have NEVER taken a flight outside the US. American travelers are some of the most calm, polite people I have ever witnessed. If you take a flight in Asia, you will realize that all of these rules are utter nonsense. I used to live in Southeast Asia, where people would do virtually everything on flights. I've seen people making phone calls during takeoffs, landings, taxi'ing, etc. I've seen people using the bathroom and taking things out of overhead bins in turbulence, during landing, and during takeoff too. One time, I even saw a guy run into the bathroom while the plane was taxi'ing at 40 mph down the runway, just so he could slap some cologne on prior to disembarking.

And no one EVER obeyed the seatbelt sign, particularly once the flight landed. In fact, most people were out of their seats, taking their bags out once they were remotely close to the terminal building.

I recently flew the JFK/DXB route on Emirates, though, and you're absolutely correct - people didn't use their phones much. That wasn't because of politeness - it's just that most people are too cheap to pay the higher phone rates. Emirates is one of the more expensive airlines, however, so the passenger standards are much better than others. If you want to see what flying is really about, try taking another airline like Air India, Garuda Indonesia, or Kenya Airlines. There's nothing like being on a flight where the pilot has to buzz the dirt runway a few times to scare off all the animals, to make you appreciate home.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #35
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
You will be pulling her out and she's ugly. I heard that Singapore Air used to have rules that if a chick got married, fat or preggers, that she'd be laid off. WISH we could do that with some UA and US stewardesses I see on a regular basis. lol

I dunno about the billing issues, but I concur. It's mostly BS. There are some short connecting routes where I can hold a call the entire time due to low alt.

-=-
Not sure if the SIA comment is true, but that's definitely the case for a few, like Virgin. IMO, best air hostesses are Emirates and SIA -some are drop-dead gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #36
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Not sure if the SIA comment is true, but that's definitely the case for a few, like Virgin. IMO, best air hostesses are Emirates and SIA -some are drop-dead gorgeous.
I think this is my area to put in my two cents as i am the BIGGEST SQFAN boy and know almost everything about the "SQ girl", this is what SIA calls their females flight attendant. The rumor about SIA letting go flight attendants because they are old, fat or pregnant is not true, well being fat is a different story, and i'll explain that later.

1st-SIA does not fire women when they reach a certain age. The Highest rank of an SQ girl is the IFS (In-flight supervisor) and to get this title, the SQ girl must be with the company for about 30 years. Which means that all IFS are well into their 50's.

2nd- SIA does not fire girls who gets pregnant. SIA, like many company, offers a maternity leave period. After that, the girl is then offered a new contract if she wishes to continue her career with the carrier.

About Being fat, thats a different story. The SQ girl is the face of the airline, she was the first and only airline campaign endeavor to ever work and survive in the industry. The SQ girl is so famous the Madame Tssuades Museum in London inducted the first and only "commercial figure" into the museum. The SQ girl wears the DISTINCT/FAMOUS couture sarong kebaya, created by French fashion designer Pierre Balmain as the official uniform for the girl. Each uniform is tailored especially to the girls waist line to show the her curves. If the Girl does gain weight and can no longer fit into her kebaya, then she is then grounded until she is able to lose that weight, because Uniform size cannot be change.

The IFS (Lady to the left)....Shes in her 50's but she looks 10x better than the grannies on American or United.

Typical body of an SQ girl

SQ girl Video

Last edited by vioaltec; 01-06-2011 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #37
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

I'm pretty sure if cell phones were an actual problem, some terrorist would have figured it out by now. Making a call during landing must be easier than stuffing a bomb up your ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #38
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 Tacoma, 15 Accord, 16 GT3

I think it's just the probability of interference. Kinda like talking on a cell while at the gas pump.

I've had pilots at 30000 ft calling me over the radio and just like someone else mentioned, you get the noise you hear when your phone is too close to a speaker or something. That noise could be a potential danger due to the lack of hearing radio transmissions. Take off and landing are the most critical stages in flight, hence the safety factor of having all cell phones off.

As a controller, I can make just as much noise over the radio by having a phone in my pocket. Texts and calls will create a noise that will make you unkey the radio because you can't make out everything that is being said. I'm no where close to the actual radio or antenna. There's a rule for controllers to have cell phones off while controlling as well, just for the sake of reducing anything that could cause the slightest interference.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #39
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I've never seen anyone actually talking on their phone while taking off/landing

I've had my phone turn on during flight (due to an alarm I forgot to turn off or whatever)

I was once flying into Milan and I had a guy go berserk because I decided to keep listening to my iPod on landing. He started yelling on board and the stewardess even told him to calm the hell down..
This "no phones on a plane and no electronics on take off/landing because it is a safety issue" misinformation shouldn't be spread.
i've always wondered.... why no electronic devices? sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. i don't get it. if someone can conclusively tell me ipods can't interfere with anything, i can be a dick and leave my earphones on next time.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
i've always wondered.... why no electronic devices? sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. i don't get it. if someone can conclusively tell me ipods can't interfere with anything, i can be a dick and leave my earphones on next time.
i fly primarily american airlines and they don't care if you leave headphones on from boarding to deplaning. i usually wear my bose QC15 headphones the entire flight without hearing a word from the FA's.

EDIT: just as long as the headphones aren't plugged into anything during t/o and landing.

Last edited by Blake; 01-06-2011 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

When i was about 12 or 13 years old I brought my Gameboy on an Alitalia flight to Rome. I will never forget that they monitored me the entire flight and made sure I did not turn it on. They told me I was not allowed to use it during the flight. I protested and my parents spoke up, but they said that was their rule and we were more than welcome to speak to security on the way through customs if we wanted to continue the debate.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
This is the explanation I got from a commercial pilot and an executive that worked for one of the major phone companies. It made the most sense to me and was corroborated, so I accept it as close to the truth as I am gonna get.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #43
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Clearly, you have NEVER taken a flight outside the US.
Yes never, FML. Except for the many times I have to just about every European country that has a commercial airport... and believe it or not, I've even been known to hop a flight to Southeast Asia on occasion.

Quote:
American travelers are some of the most calm, polite people I have ever witnessed.
Compared to Air-India, I'd have to agree with you. But, this statement makes me think you've NEVaRrrrr taken a flight inside of the US.

Quote:
I used to live in Southeast Asia, where people would do virtually everything on flights. I've seen people making phone calls during takeoffs, landings, taxi'ing, etc. I've seen people using the bathroom and taking things out of overhead bins in turbulence, during landing, and during takeoff too. One time, I even saw a guy run into the bathroom while the plane was taxi'ing at 40 mph down the runway, just so he could slap some cologne on prior to disembarking.

And no one EVER obeyed the seatbelt sign, particularly once the flight landed. In fact, most people were out of their seats, taking their bags out once they were remotely close to the terminal building.
Sounds like my monthly commute to LA from Chicago... my bad LAX/ORD/LMNOP

And don't be so defensive. The fact that you notice that all of this stuff is going on around you ONLY proves that you are just as OCD about passenger behavior as I am (maybe even more so), so lets just have a beer and call it even.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #44
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW

100% the cell phone or any other electronic device will NOT cause significant EMI with the planes electronics.
Appreciate 0