TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Focal IS BMW 100 Install Question

Hi,

So I bought a set of Focals for my X5, but I'm lost at the crossover wiring. See the picture, the three cables on the left are form the crossover, which read Ground, 0dB and -3dB. Ground cable has a blue line. The tweeter cables are on the right. No label except the one with the blue line is a male other is female.

So; since crossover has 3 cables and tweeter has two,

Tweeters blue lines cable won't fit crossovers blue line cable (labeled ground) since they're both male.

PS. Focal install videos on youtube are useless. Does not show any detail whatsoever. The user manual that came with it is also useless, just has specs and no info on whats what.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheACN; 08-25-2023 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Add information.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 04:14 PM   #2
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Ground attaches to the female connection on the tweeter. You only use one of the other connections from the crossover. The -3db will reduce the tweeter output by 3 decibels. You can use this to reduce the high frequency output if you find it to be too loud relative to mid and bass tones.
Appreciate 1
TheACN104.50
      08-25-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go FasTA View Post
Ground attaches to the female connection on the tweeter. You only use one of the other connections from the crossover. The -3db will reduce the tweeter output by 3 decibels. You can use this to reduce the high frequency output if you find it to be too loud relative to mid and bass tones.
Got it thank you. I didn't expect to have to output levels on a crossover but hey never too late to learn
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
Go FasTA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
Got it thank you. I didn't expect to have to output levels on a crossover but hey never too late to learn
If you position the cables correctly when reinstalling your trim pieces you should be able to just pop the tweeter housing off and swap between 0db and -3db if you want to do an A/B comparison to choose your preference.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 01:35 AM   #5
vj77
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheACN View Post
Hi,

So I bought a set of Focals for my X5, but I'm lost at the crossover wiring. See the picture, the three cables on the left are form the crossover, which read Ground, 0dB and -3dB. Ground cable has a blue line. The tweeter cables are on the right. No label except the one with the blue line is a male other is female.

So; since crossover has 3 cables and tweeter has two,

Tweeters blue lines cable won't fit crossovers blue line cable (labeled ground) since they're both male.

PS. Focal install videos on youtube are useless. Does not show any detail whatsoever. The user manual that came with it is also useless, just has specs and no info on whats what.
I personally use -3dB with my Match UP8DSP, looks ok for me.
Appreciate 1
TheACN104.50