BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #23
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I was having a similar problem with Apple and Google maps not displaying correctly on my 2020 M340i. After reading various BMW forums, I tried again but this time before deleting and re-pairing from scratch, I had first changed my iPhone X’s name under Settings - General - About from “Steve’s iPhone X” to “iPhone X”, after which everything worked! The maps are now working and the CarPlay display shows signal strength and 4G (NOT the WiFi symbol). BMW really need to explain these procedures and what is needed in FAR more detail for lay people like me!

Clearly the way the connected device is labelled on the iPhone’s “Settings - About” menu is crucial and the car really only likes devices to be described in very generic terms i.e. merely “iPhone X”.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #24
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Clearly the way the connected device is labelled on the iPhone’s “Settings - About” menu is crucial and the car really only likes devices to be described in very generic terms i.e. merely “iPhone X”.
clearly not the case in my '21 45e. both iPhones and CarPlay names are displayed as:
SAr's iPhone 12 Pro (mine's attached)
Xxxxx's iPhone 11 Pro (redacted wife's name)

CarPlay connection has been flawless; no issues surfing the internet or streaming videos. I do not subscribe to BMW's wifi hotspot.
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 03-09-2021 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #25
tomto147
Rep
Drives: 420D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
clearly not the case in my '21 45e. both iPhones and CarPlay names are displayed as:
SAr's iPhone 12 Pro (mine's attached)
Xxxxx's iPhone 11 Pro (redacted wife's name)

CarPlay connection has been flawless; no issues surfing the internet or streaming videos. I do not subscribe to BMW's wifi hotspot.
I had the same connection problem. In my case, the problem was solved after changing the name of the phone from a two-part name, e.g. iPhoneX Tom, to one word, e.g. iPhoneXTom. I don't know why, but it worked. Perhaps this is some kind of system bug.
Appreciate 0