BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2024, 11:05 PM   #1
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

25 Air Suspension

Apparently you can now order the two axle air suspension on 25 X5’s but only in sport trim. Anybody have any experience with air suspension over the adaptive dampers in the MSport? I’m not sure when they discontinued it and why. I had air on all but one of my Jeep grand cherokees over the years and it was a game changer ride wise. Thinking about another X5 for my wife to go with my 24 MSport. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 10:39 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckochese View Post
Apparently you can now order the two axle air suspension on 25 X5’s but only in sport trim. Anybody have any experience with air suspension over the adaptive dampers in the MSport? I’m not sure when they discontinued it and why. I had air on all but one of my Jeep grand cherokees over the years and it was a game changer ride wise. Thinking about another X5 for my wife to go with my 24 MSport. Thanks
parts supply dwindled during the height of the recent pandemic, so air suspension was reserved and allocated to models based on priority, such as the 45e (now 50e) and X7

it came standard on my 45e and performs better than the air suspension I had on previous Audi Q7s
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:39 AM   #3
Ckochese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks, I was wondering if it was worth forgoing the Msport cosmetic changes to gain the air suspension. Dealer doesn’t have one to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
While YMMV, and it’s always up to personal preference, I would advise against air suspension if you’re going for 40i or 60i and have an option to stick to steel springs

Drawing conclusions from other car manufactuers (you mention jeep), may be misleading - there are a great many factors influencing how particular vehicles behave, and the fact that a certain model of a certain manufacturer benefits from air suspension, isn’t in any way going to be indicative of another manufacturer’s product

Air suspension makes the X5 lean in corners and also gave me the feeling of too significant up/down movements of the front and rear of the car when accelerating and braking. If that was the only suspension option, I’d never purchase the car

The springs keep the car much more tightly, while not reducing the ride comfort to a degree which would be perceptible to me

My advice: test drive both options, or even the m performance pro, if you have a chance

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 09:56 PM   #5
e39frank
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 525iT

Thanks. I will scratch air suspension off the option list for the X5 xDrive40i.
Appreciate 0