BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
mghmghmghusa
MG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Trailer brake controller wiring

My 2019 X5 has the factory-installed towing option, which includes an under-dash connector (pictured) for plugging in a 4-wire trailer brake controller. (I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, identical to the BMW dealer-installed controllers sold for earlier X5's.)
Problem: no one, including BMW, sells the plug that fits into this connector. The BMW dealership guy is knowledgeable, super-helpful, and has called and emailed various departments, but the bottom line is that BMW doesn't sell a plug or brake controller for 2019 X5's.
So (like the old song) I'm all dressed up with no place to go. I've checked with Pollak (maker of the factory-installed trailer wiring receiver on my X5), eTrailer, and others -- none has a plug for this connector. So (as a last resort before I cut it off the connector and start splicing wires) I'm checking in to see if anyone has any other viable suggestions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      05-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Another WTF. Following ...
      05-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mghmghmghusa View Post
My 2019 X5 has the factory-installed towing option, which includes an under-dash connector (pictured) for plugging in a 4-wire trailer brake controller. (I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2, identical to the BMW dealer-installed controllers sold for earlier X5's.)
Problem: no one, including BMW, sells the plug that fits into this connector. The BMW dealership guy is knowledgeable, super-helpful, and has called and emailed various departments, but the bottom line is that BMW doesn't sell a plug or brake controller for 2019 X5's.
So (like the old song) I'm all dressed up with no place to go. I've checked with Pollak (maker of the factory-installed trailer wiring receiver on my X5), eTrailer, and others -- none has a plug for this connector. So (as a last resort before I cut it off the connector and start splicing wires) I'm checking in to see if anyone has any other viable suggestions.
I assume eventually someone will start to make a Connector for this and sell a adapter / harness. Can't believe it isn't available yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
sptucker
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3 2019 X3 M40i

Any update on this?

I identified the under-dash connector as BMW 1378134-01. I was able to find a duplicate on a French Amazon site, but no male version of the connector. I can find no other information on the connector.

I can confirm that the connector has +12V, GND and stoplight/brake pedal wires. I'm assuming the 4th wire goes to the trailer brakes.

Has anyone used this connector or cut it off and used the wires for their trailer brake controller?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #5
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

I use trailer with surge brakes, but curious to know if solutions is found.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:
This seems a common connector used by BMW for many years on its brake lights (find old ones on ebay etc with BMW part number 61131378134). But what you need is the mating connector. There should be an AMP part number on the one on your car just above the BMW number (see attached pics). Thats the Amphenol part number and once you have that, you should be able to search for the mate on the Amphenol web site. I wish I could help more but the pictures are too blurry for my eyes to make out the Amphenol part number! Good luck!

Update: Amphenol P/N is AMP 1-828 819-1; its a restricted part so Amp doesn't sell it or its mate or a datasheet to general public. The male portion *seems* to be same as that used on the blower motor resistor in old BMWs but seems to be intended for a PCB board mount. Perhaps you can buy a used/broken blower resistor and take it off? https://www.google.com/search?q=64118372775
Attached Images

Last edited by smovva; 09-19-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
TSMC55125.00
      10-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
sandcruiser
Rep
Drives: X5

Want to bump up. I am picking up a 14 ft tandem trailer. The dealer can install an integrated brake controller for the electric brakes. Anyone have an update for the the correct plug or should I have the dealer install a new harness?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3676.50
      10-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
rparnel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

I also have the tow package, but no way to connect a standard brake controller. Ended up using a wireless brake controller. Not cheap, but does work. BMW sells one and so does Curt and Tekonsha. I like the Tekonsha Prodigy wireless ($280), which is believe is what the BMW actually is
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Awesome find, I just started shopping for trailers and didn't remember to check this !!!!! I will have to look into this as well.
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
Indy Jim
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Has anyone just cut the wires and made a hardwired connection?
Appreciate 1
jeff.m3700.00
      11-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #11
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

I have the towpackage and used this wireless controller. Worked ok as far as electrical controllers go.

CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection, Proportional https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ99SDD..._YuuYDbV5B40N0

I asked the sales person and service department several times and no one ever indicated there was a connector already for a controller under dash. I would very likely have used the wires instead. I'm also very curious to know if it worked for anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #12
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I also use the Tekonsha Prodigy Wireless and wouldn't have it any other way. No wires, no splicing. Basically plug-and-play.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

gofast182 where does the prodigy wireless controller you have plug in to the car?

mghmghmghusa did you ever identify an adapter?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
gofast182 where does the prodigy wireless controller you have plug in to the car?

There's one module you plug into the 'cigarette lighter' to set/vary the braking force to match the weight of your trailer. The actual controller just plugs into the 7 way connector on the back of the car. Once you set the force you don't actually need the module inside the car anymore but I like to keep in plugged in when I tow because it will confirm the controller is actively working.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-23-2020 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #15
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Quote:

There's one module you plug into the 'cigarette lighter' to set/vary the braking force to match the weight of your trailer. The actual controller just plugs into the 7 way connector on the back of the car. Once you set the force you don't actually need the module inside the car anymore but I like to keep in plugged in when I tow because it will confirm the controller is actively working.
When I used to have a pickup I connected my brake controller to a wiring harness in the truck, not the 7 pin connector on the hitch as that is what the trailer connects to. Maybe I'm being a bit slow but I don't follow what you mean.

Presumably the cigarette lighter is just for power, so how is the brake signal getting to the trailer with the setup you describe?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #16
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I too am puzzled by this entire thread.

If you have a 7-pin connector, pin #5 manages the electronic braking system which your trailer has, so I am not sure what that 4-pin trailer brake controller is for? (must admit I'm not familiar with braking systems on trailers, as my trailer only has mechanical brakes).

Interestingly, my BMW OEM trailer connector on my X5/G05 is a 12-pin connector - see pic below.
The 12-pin adds 5 x larger pins for:
- A fridge ignition feed to power the fridge in your trailer home or trailer while you’re driving.
- A breakaway battery monitor. This allows the voltage of the battery on your breakaway unit to be displayed on the dash of your vehicle.
- ESC, which is Electronic Stability Control, if your trailer home has it.
- a heavy earth return.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #17
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
When I used to have a pickup I connected my brake controller to a wiring harness in the truck, not the 7 pin connector on the hitch as that is what the trailer connects to. Maybe I'm being a bit slow but I don't follow what you mean.

Presumably the cigarette lighter is just for power, so how is the brake signal getting to the trailer with the setup you describe?
It's wireless, hence Prodigy Wireless Brake Controller! One module, inside the car plugged into the 12v outlet, establishes the peak brake force which is wirelessly transmitted and stored on the controller module which will mount on your trailer and plug into the 7 way on the vehicle which is where it gets power. The 7 way from the trailer then plugs into the Prodigy controller module you just mounted on the trailer. The controller module (trailer) has an accelerometer that senses brake input and applies a proportionate amount of braking force up to the limit you established with the first module in the car. You can leave the module in the car connected to vary the peak force as you drive or you can disconnect it and the controller module (trailer) will remember your peak force value you previously set.

In-car module to set braking force
WIRELESS BETWEEN HERE AND HERE
Module on trailer which is the actual controller

"Old"
Controller in car (hardwired)--->7 way on car--->Trailer
"New"
Force module in car~~~> | 7 way on car--->Prodigy Controller on trailer--->Trailer

If it still doesn't make sense you can always google it, see the mfr site, etrailer, or Amazon.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-24-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
      01-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #18
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Quote:

It's wireless, hence Prodigy Wireless Brake Controller! One module, inside the car plugged into the 12v outlet, establishes the peak brake force which is wirelessly transmitted and stored on the controller module which will mount on your trailer and plug into the 7 way on the vehicle which is where it gets power. The 7 way from the trailer then plugs into the Prodigy controller module you just mounted on the trailer. The controller module (trailer) has an accelerometer that senses brake input and applies a proportionate amount of braking force up to the limit you established with the first module in the car. You can leave the module in the car connected to vary the peak force as you drive or you can disconnect it and the controller module (trailer) will remember your peak force value you previously set.

In-car module to set braking force
WIRELESS BETWEEN HERE AND HERE
Module on trailer which is the actual controller

"Old"
Controller in car (hardwired)--->7 way on car--->Trailer
"New"
Force module in car~~~> | 7 way on car--->Prodigy Controller on trailer--->Trailer

If it still doesn't make sense you can always google it, see the mfr site, etrailer, or Amazon.
That's awesome, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm following you now.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #19
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

For those interested I think I got hold of the trailer brake connector wiring diagram for the G05, pre-installed with the factory hitch. This is for a US/Canadian spec. vehicle. I have no idea if it changes in Europe/Asia. I plan to create my own wiring adapter so I can plug and play a brake controller for the couple of times a year when I tow a trailer.

The harness is hidden under the steering wheel, underneath the dashboard.

PIN 1: BLACK / Brake Switch
PIN 2: RED / +12V Power Supply
PIN 3: BLUE / Trailer Brake
PIN 4: BROWN / Ground

See image attached kindly supplied by my service dept.

I know a few people have already tried this on the X3 so I am interested in your feedback e.g. sptucker
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
      02-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #20
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I *THINK* I tracked down the connector:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/61131378134/

Looks right from the thumbnail so I ordered one to try it. Will let you know!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #21
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Looks like we have a bunch of people here with towing experience. I have a couple questions that are preventing me from upgrading from an E70 to a G05 until I know more. I'm hoping you all can help:

• How are you towing substantial loads with the limited payload capacity (849-871 lbs) of the G05? (BMW rates the payload capacity much lower than the difference between GVWR and curb weight. I haven't figured out why yet.)
• In your experience is 2-able air suspension a must have for towing with the G05? The vehicles I'm considering now are all equipped with 2VF M Dynamic suspension, not air. My E70 with standard suspension does sag about 3-4" towing my boat.
• Factory installation of the hitch increases the rated towing capacity to 7200 lbs. It's not clear to me if other components are upgraded to support that or it it's just marketing to encourage people to get the factory hitch. Have you all noticed anything different?

Ben
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:14 PM   #22
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
This seems a common connector used by BMW for many years on its brake lights (find old ones on ebay etc with BMW part number 61131378134). But what you need is the mating connector. There should be an AMP part number on the one on your car just above the BMW number (see attached pics). Thats the Amphenol part number and once you have that, you should be able to search for the mate on the Amphenol web site. I wish I could help more but the pictures are too blurry for my eyes to make out the Amphenol part number! Good luck!

Update: Amphenol P/N is AMP 1-828 819-1; its a restricted part so Amp doesn't sell it or its mate or a datasheet to general public. The male portion *seems* to be same as that used on the blower motor resistor in old BMWs but seems to be intended for a PCB board mount. Perhaps you can buy a used/broken blower resistor and take it off? https://www.google.com/search?q=64118372775

Quote:
I *THINK* I tracked down the connector:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/61131378134/

Looks right from the thumbnail so I ordered one to try it. Will let you know!
What we need is the mate to this connector. Has anyone found a source for it yet? It seems that for those of us with OCD will be paying $220 for this connector when we buy the OEM brake controller/harness.
Appreciate 0