06-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #133
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippytumis View Post
My X5 still at the dealer, called BMW NA, they got the service records and gave me the same message the dealer gave me. Late June to mid July the software update should fix these issues. We understand the car has been in the shop since 5/30, we do not have any other answers...
Remember the more cumulative days your X5 is at the dealer (Out if service) the more this will work in your favor for a buy back or lemon law..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #134
johnnyg2020
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

x5 problems

Purchased at 2020 X5 40i with the sport package. Vehicle cost 82K have loved the vehicle so far. Took it to the car wash yesterday and had interior cleaned. Got back into the vehicle and drove off and had a parking brake malfunction come up on the screen. So i pulled over checked the brake was off and shut the vehicle off. I then could not get the vehicle to start but pressing the ignition button!!!! So i remote started the vehicle and it worked. So i got in hit he ignition button to put the vehicle in gear and it would not work. So i was able to send a service request to the dealer from the vehicle and all of a sudden I was able to get the vehicle in gear. I drove home and it said key not detected so I got the other key and tried to start vehicle same thing. I then exited the vehicle walked away got back in the vehicle and it started and I could put it in gear but none of the buttons on the console would work(sport mode, eco mode, automatic shutoff)!!!! So i tried to shut the vehicle off and guess what?!?!?! The vehicle wouldnt shut off!!!!! Long story short they sent a tow to my house and we had a hell of a time getting it started to get on the tow truck and then couldnt get it shut off again! The driver said he has seen an x5 do this before and BMW told him to leave it running till he got to the dealership. When I talked to a tech on the phone he said it was a software update that needed to be done at the dealer.

So today we call they said well we need to order a new center control panel for the vehicle from Germany. So who knows when that will get here. PLUS they said that is only one of the issues we cant really figure out what is going on with the vehicle and we will need to consult with an engineer!!!! We have less than 5k miles on an 82k vehicle and you cant tell me what is wrong with it!! Needless to say my wife is livid because she has always had Mercedes but I said lets try the new X5!! Well I am not so happy now! Anyone else experienced this issue before?????
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #135
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg2020 View Post
Purchased at 2020 X5 40i with the sport package. Vehicle cost 82K have loved the vehicle so far. Took it to the car wash yesterday and had interior cleaned. Got back into the vehicle and drove off and had a parking brake malfunction come up on the screen. So i pulled over checked the brake was off and shut the vehicle off. I then could not get the vehicle to start but pressing the ignition button!!!! So i remote started the vehicle and it worked. So i got in hit he ignition button to put the vehicle in gear and it would not work. So i was able to send a service request to the dealer from the vehicle and all of a sudden I was able to get the vehicle in gear. I drove home and it said key not detected so I got the other key and tried to start vehicle same thing. I then exited the vehicle walked away got back in the vehicle and it started and I could put it in gear but none of the buttons on the console would work(sport mode, eco mode, automatic shutoff)!!!! So i tried to shut the vehicle off and guess what?!?!?! The vehicle wouldnt shut off!!!!! Long story short they sent a tow to my house and we had a hell of a time getting it started to get on the tow truck and then couldnt get it shut off again! The driver said he has seen an x5 do this before and BMW told him to leave it running till he got to the dealership. When I talked to a tech on the phone he said it was a software update that needed to be done at the dealer.

So today we call they said well we need to order a new center control panel for the vehicle from Germany. So who knows when that will get here. PLUS they said that is only one of the issues we cant really figure out what is going on with the vehicle and we will need to consult with an engineer!!!! We have less than 5k miles on an 82k vehicle and you cant tell me what is wrong with it!! Needless to say my wife is livid because she has always had Mercedes but I said lets try the new X5!! Well I am not so happy now! Anyone else experienced this issue before?????
Every single manufacturer in the world has lemons. Unfortunately it appears you are one of the unlucky ones who got one of those lemons.

Depending on how long the dealer has had the vehicle to attempt repairs and how many times they've tried to fix the problems now might be a good time to start a lemon law buy back case.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      04-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #136
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:

Seems like its too much of a coincidence that this happened right after you had your interior cleaned at a car wash. Is there any chance someone there spilled or sprayed too much crap inside your car causing the malfunction?
      04-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #137
johnnyg2020
Registered
Rep

Alan I same thing I thought but I looked all over the vehicle and didn’t not find evidence of it. Plus the wash has a viewing area so I watch the car the entire time and didn’t seem that anyone had spilled anything as I was watching them. I just honestly think it is a lemon. I mean if they have to consult with engineers that sounds pretty serious lol
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #138
johnnyg2020
Registered
Rep

The vehicle has only been there for 1 day but I can’t imagine consulting engineers and ordering a console from Germany is gonna be a couple day turn around
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #139
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
The vehicle has only been there for 1 day but I can’t imagine consulting engineers and ordering a console from Germany is gonna be a couple day turn around
Good on the dealer to open a PUMA case.

I also agree that it is too much of a coincidence that your X5 was in good working order until it went to that car wash. Gosh, I hate car washes. I rather drive a dusty car than handing over the keys to attendants in those places.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #140
0xffff
Rep
Drives: BMW 540,X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
I've been having a number of issues with the new iDrive and all our iOS devices since getting the car, which I posted about in other threads.

On my ride home tonight in the rain, I got an "Automatic Lighting and Wiping System Malfunction" error.

Rainsensing wipers appeared to be working; automatic high beams did not.

So far, very frustrating. I've had more problems in 48 hours with this car than I had the entire time we owned our X3 prior X5, and in the last year with my 540. All were more or less free of problems.

Hoping these are just new model glitches that will soon pass.....
Seeing this “Automatic Lighting and Wiping System Malfunction” issue too, restarting iDrive did not work. How did you fix the problem? Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:07 PM   #141
TheRealX5
TheRealX5
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, Land Cruiser, GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Can you give more details. I am getting ready to order but this thread gets me worried they pushed ahead before things were ready.
If you want to get a BMW X5. I highly suggest looking away. I have a G05 and in the six months I've had it, I've taken it to the dealer about 4-5 times. Don't get me wrong, the car is great. Driving dynamics are awesome and comfort is great as well. I've been put off by BMW because of the customer service here in UAE (AGMC if you are wondering). It could be different in other countries but here in the UAE, the X5 is not as good as its predecessor F15. I regret not looking at the Range Rover Sport as well. After all this, even my wife regrets not getting a GLE.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:55 PM   #142
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xffff View Post
Seeing this “Automatic Lighting and Wiping System Malfunction” issue too, restarting iDrive did not work. How did you fix the problem? Thanks,
take it to your dealer. seems a fault in the rain sensor and/or other components in that area (KAFAS, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #143
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
Can you give more details. I am getting ready to order but this thread gets me worried they pushed ahead before things were ready.
If you want to get a BMW X5. I highly suggest looking away. I have a G05 and in the six months I've had it, I've taken it to the dealer about 4-5 times. Don't get me wrong, the car is great. Driving dynamics are awesome and comfort is great as well. I've been put off by BMW because of the customer service here in UAE (AGMC if you are wondering). It could be different in other countries but here in the UAE, the X5 is not as good as its predecessor F15. I regret not looking at the Range Rover Sport as well. After all this, even my wife regrets not getting a GLE.
Honestly it's hit or miss with any car. I had both the F15 and G05. G05 has been to the dealer maybe 3 times in 30months all for oil changes. F15 was less reliable including rattling in the folding back seat assembly. You mileage will vary with any brand. I guarantee there are probably Cullinans with issues that require dealer visits. May be 1 in 1000 but they'll still be there. Hope things look up for you.
      06-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #144
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

Idk if its's the correct thread, but I wanted to share with you guys my experience with my G05 45e.
Picked it up from the lot on February 4th 2021, late march, the air conditioning stopped working suddenly, took to the dealer, said it was a broken hose in the circuit, that had lost the gas.
Its ok they replaced it, after 15 days in the dealer (the piece came from Germany).

In april, one day I was parked at work, just switched from P to D to get moving and car wont engage gear. Switched off and then again on, unable to engage D again. I had to step out the car, close, open and again turn it on to be able to engage D and get moving.

Late may, AC stopped working again, again took it to the dealership, after a week trying to find the issue, they tell me its a broken valve of the AC circuit. 3 weeks more waiting with a loaner, because the piece again coming from Germany.

In the end, this is by far the less reliable car I have ever owned (its my 7th BMW), otherwise is the more efficient and more comfortable I have ever had.
      06-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #145
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippytumis View Post
After receiving my X5 in Jan 2019, the vehicle has been in the shop 6 different times (another scheduled visit this week) each time 10PLUS days.

The vehicle was FINE until they contacted me about a recall on the twin turbos, transmission line and an air filter. I pulled out of the dealer that day the the vehicle has never been right. They said recall on mechanical not electrical.

Two control modules and a front camera later, I am told there is a software update coming the end of June that should fix it.

I don't know about anyone else in here but the price of this vehicle and the amount of time in the shop we should not wait till the end of June.

I just picked up the vehicle tonight and on the way home it broke down again, for the SAME issue they said they fixed. My repair order has 6 line items that state the issue is corrected...NOT SO FAST!

BMW NA told me ZERO financial consideration will be given for the over two months in the shop. That a loaner was given, lets see 19 X5 5.0 in the shop X1 given as a loaner...yup same price point
UM. There is no recall on the twin-turbos. My best friend has a 2019 X5 50i and while he had a recall for fuel system nothing out of the ordinary for a new model (he knew he bought year 1 of a new model and has kept up with the recalls to fix small things that impacted a few vehicles). There is something else going on with your X5. Perhaps take it to a different dealer...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #146
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Honestly it's hit or miss with any car. I had both the F15 and G05. G05 has been to the dealer maybe 3 times in 30months all for oil changes. F15 was less reliable including rattling in the folding back seat assembly. You mileage will vary with any brand. I guarantee there are probably Cullinans with issues that require dealer visits. May be 1 in 1000 but they'll still be there. Hope things look up for you.

If you buy the first year of any model change your risks are higher. A 2014 F15 has more reliability issues than 2018 and 2019 G05 will have more than the 2021 - in general. I just browsed CR and that is what I found as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #147
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

It is just like with every car, you need a bit of luck and when you are not lucky you need a good dealer.
This is my 3rd BMW and they have been reliable.
1. BMW F31 318d: in 70.000km only 1 faulty light bulb.
2. BMW F11 520d: broken AC after 8000km due to faulty condenser, was replaced and never had an issue again until sold @ 100.000km
3. Now BMW G05 45e: 22.000km so far, zero issues encountered.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #148
0xffff
Rep
Drives: BMW 540,X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
take it to your dealer. seems a fault in the rain sensor and/or other components in that area (KAFAS, etc.)
it was not just the rain&light sensor. the reading lights do not work either. I guess the power supply to these roof based electronic systems has problem.

because the light sensor doesn't work, car's headlights were always on, HUD and blind spot lights (on the mirror) were too dim to read.
Appreciate 0