BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #45
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Tempurpedic. Sleep numbers are absolute trash suprised so many suggested them.

Ive had my Tempur Grande almost 10 years now. Love it. I have multiple friends who are execs at "The Matress Firm" and they all recommend and sleep on Tempurpedics.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #46
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Temperpedic. Get the cool foam version
THIS!!
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #47
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Tempurpedic. Sleep numbers are absolute trash suprised so many suggested them.

Ive had my Tempur Grande almost 10 years now. Love it. I have multiple friends who are execs at "The Matress Firm" and they all recommend and sleep on Tempurpedics.
Interesting, I currently own a Tempurpedic. I didn't consider sleep number until after we bought out Tempurpedic. I had some regrets, as I thought I should have at least tested the Sleep Number out.

After thinking about it, the Sleep Number is kind of gimmicky. It markets the multiple level of firmness adjustment and the premium ones also have rake/incline adjustment. I always saw these adjustments like a car's memory power seats. When you buy a BMW, you play with the adjustments for the first week or so, then you find your comfort and set it and forget it. Why pay up for it when you can just get the one you like once? (I get it if two people want different firmness.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 02-27-2017 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #48
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

BTW, when you buy a Tempurpedic, the dealership network agreed with the manufacturer to NEVER discount the mattress. So if you decided you wanted this brand, it's pointless to shop around.

However, what you can do is way for one of their "sales". Sales are terrible, infrequently, they'll just cut a few hundred off the MSRP, but more often or not, their sales are just throwing some freebies in. The worst ones are free pillows, which is pretty much worthless. The best freebies are they'll actually give you a free twin size Tempurpedic in. If you need a 2nd twin, great, if you don't, you can actually sell it for like $300 on craigslist, which amounts to a discount....
      02-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
We bought a Costco split king adjustable bed.

Best thing we ever did, changed my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Tempurpedic, but get the firmest one you can get
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
If you are spending over $1k on a matress you have successfully been sucked into the better matress scam..

King size memory foam mattresses are available for as little as $500....
they come in soft/medium and firm...
what else could you ask for.

Here come the disgruntled comments of people who got sucked in to fork out $5k plus for shitty overpriced matresses. defending and acting like mattress experts...
I own the firmest Tempurpedic. My wife and I are used to the firmest/stiffest beds. Even the Tumpurpedic itself, I feel could be a bit more firmer.

Our friends actually bought the firmest Costco version at about half the price (I think $400 or so for a queen, our Tempurpedic was about $800 or so). They said, they bought it without even testing it out based on online reviews. Many people complained the Costco firmest was "too firm", which they wanted.

That said, I feel like buying a premium mattress is like buying a BMW vs a Toyota. It's about how picky you are about aspects of your bed. I feel like the premium ones only offer slightly better refinement (such as cool foam, or other features).

If I were to do it again, I'll likely give Costco a try, but let me put it this way, the mattress we currently have is the BEST DAMN MATTRESS we've ever slept on. I'm sure a mid-range would be just as sufficient, who knows, you can't try every single one out. And ours will be used for well over 15 years, so I wouldn't know for a while if mid-ranges are good enough for me.
      02-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #50
TMatt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Purple!

I have had the Purple Mattress for about a year now and it is the best purchase I've ever made. Sleeps cool and firm but extremely comfortable and supportive. You will not regret it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #51
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

This is the costco split king I was referring to, it has a massage function too, best sleep I've had:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #52
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
BTW, when you buy a Tempurpedic, the dealership network agreed with the manufacturer to NEVER discount the mattress. So if you decided you wanted this brand, it's pointless to shop around.

However, what you can do is way for one of their "sales". Sales are terrible, infrequently, they'll just cut a few hundred off the MSRP, but more often or not, their sales are just throwing some freebies in. The worst ones are free pillows, which is pretty much worthless. The best freebies are they'll actually give you a free twin size Tempurpedic in. If you need a 2nd twin, great, if you don't, you can actually sell it for like $300 on craigslist, which amounts to a discount....
I got my Grande for $1100 through my friends Mattress Firm employee deal. They can buy 1 a year. Saved me like $2500 bucks.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      02-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #53
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Sounds ghetto but I bought a King multi-layer 12" memory foam mattress from Walmart for $300 and it's amazing. I know there are a lot of different brands for the same price on Amazon too
Appreciate 1
GabeS1180.00
      02-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #54
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Looking for a new mattress as well. Probably will go with Casper. Tempurpedic looks nice but I'm not shelling out $4400+ tax for a mattress (breeze version).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #55
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
This is the costco split king I was referring to, it has a massage function too, best sleep I've had:

how much?
      02-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #56
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
how much?
https://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science...100289131.html
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #57
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
way too much, you can buy 4 king size mattresses and split them as you wish for that price. or have 2 king beds side by side
      03-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #58
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
way too much, you can buy 4 king size mattresses and split them as you wish for that price. or have 2 king beds side by side
How do you make them go up and down? Will massage your back also?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #59
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you make them go up and down? Will massage your back also?
No $500 kings wont do anything but ruin your back.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #60
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
No $500 kings wont do anything but ruin your back.
Blind sheep..

Should have read my first post...
Spending over $1k on a mattress,, congratulations you have successfully been sucked into the "better mattress" scam...
There are tons of $400-$600 memory foam mattresses that are amazing.. but I am sorry it doesn't have a fancy name next to it...
I know it's what the leaders on the TV say you need....

Last edited by GabeS; 03-01-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 05:03 PM   #61
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

https://www.themattressunderground.com

The site admin is an expert.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #62
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

Except the whole site is a marketing scheme to get consumers to use the vendors that have to pay for the referrals.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #63
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8
Quote:

Except the whole site is a marketing scheme to get consumers to use the vendors that have to pay for the referrals.
Actually it's not. He does have manufacturers who he thinks offer a good product and service but he also helps people find local companies.

I recommend you read through the posts before you form an opinion.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #64
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Actually it's not. He does have manufacturers who he thinks offer a good product and service but he also helps people find local companies.

I did when I was looking (before I got fed up of all the bullshit and just picked something). The whole site is about how bad big mattress is and how the smaller (paying) members of her site are sooo much better.

There is a whole fight between the owner of TMU, Pheonix (who is apparently a she) and other mattress sites:
http://www.oldbedguy.com/2014/05/02/...front-reviews/
TMU,The Mattress Underground, a modified chat room is moderated by the mythical bird that arose from the ashes, “Phoenix. She is a highly gifted and prolific writer and knowledgeable businessperson. This site features a few essays signed by the pen name, Phoenix, purporting to advise the unknowing how to shop for the unknown. Sometimes her “advice” is presented as a post from a reader. Pure BS. All of her essays skillfully and gently flow with praise for an exclusive group of tribute and dues paying mattress sellers. TMU is paid by mattress sellers. Can you picture always getting 100% honest advice from a broker representing the seller when he or she is trying to make a sale? Check the site for the membership page. These mattress sellers are financially different than the other five thousand places where you might buy a mattress. These stores and sites, all alone in the industry, pay regular dues to the Mattress Underground for general praise, and an agreed on commission when they make a sale. The rest of the industry are on the outside looking in and get few to no recommendations, mostly “no” recommendations. Nothing for nothing in this dog-eat-dog world.

She's not even secret about it, the stores and manufacturers she recommends literally pay for the "service":
https://www.themattressunderground.com/services.html

Last edited by GATORB8; 03-01-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #65
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8
Quote:

I did when I was looking (before I got fed up of all the bullshit and just picked something). The whole site is about how bad big mattress is and how the smaller (paying) members of her site are sooo much better.

There is a whole fight between the owner of TMU, Pheonix (who is apparently a she) and other mattress sites:
http://www.oldbedguy.com/2014/05/02/...front-reviews/
TMU,The Mattress Underground, a modified chat room is moderated by the mythical bird that arose from the ashes, “Phoenix. She is a highly gifted and prolific writer and knowledgeable businessperson. This site features a few essays signed by the pen name, Phoenix, purporting to advise the unknowing how to shop for the unknown. Sometimes her “advice” is presented as a post from a reader. Pure BS. All of her essays skillfully and gently flow with praise for an exclusive group of tribute and dues paying mattress sellers. TMU is paid by mattress sellers. Can you picture always getting 100% honest advice from a broker representing the seller when he or she is trying to make a sale? Check the site for the membership page. These mattress sellers are financially different than the other five thousand places where you might buy a mattress. These stores and sites, all alone in the industry, pay regular dues to the Mattress Underground for general praise, and an agreed on commission when they make a sale. The rest of the industry are on the outside looking in and get few to no recommendations, mostly “no” recommendations. Nothing for nothing in this dog-eat-dog world.

She's not even secret about it, the stores and manufacturers she recommends literally pay for the "service":
https://www.themattressunderground.com/services.html
Yes they do, but they can also get kicked off. It has been a few years since I've been on the site, and from my own anecdotal experience with a regional manager of a well known national chain as well as my own research I found the advice to be sound.

Hell the admin will search for local manufacturers for posters if they ask.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #66
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Blind sheep..

Should have read my first post...
Spending over $1k on a mattress,, congratulations you have successfully been sucked into the "better mattress" scam...
There are tons of $400-$600 memory foam mattresses that are amazing.. but I am sorry it doesn't have a fancy name next to it...
I know it's what the leaders on the TV say you need....
I don't think you get it, it's more than just a form mattress, it's a full adjustable/motorized base with two massage motors built into each side with a remote control.

I've had 'regular' beds, all I'm saying is this setup changed my sleep entirely. Not only me but my wife also. Plus because it's split king, I can toss and turn all I want and I won't wake her up anymore, our previous pocket coil and memory form mattresses would still wake her up when I toss n turn in my sleep. In fact, I don't even toss and turn much anymore, I just knock out and I never used to sleep like that before.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00