BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #45
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

From USA Today

MIAMI – Promising a cruise control system that can learn your driving style, and aircraft-style noise cancellation to quiet road noise, Genesis unveiled the U.S. version of its first SUV on Tuesday to a room packed with dealers.

The 2021 GV80 will compete with vehicles like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes GLE, BMW X5 and Lincoln Aviator when it goes on sale this summer. Debuting a new look that feature slit-like horizontal headlights, the GV80 will offer two or three rows of seats. Prices are likely to start around $50,000.

The headlights’ twin lines will become Genesis’ trademark, a styling theme repeated in side markers and taillights. "Two lines will come to define Genesis," said Luc Donckerwolke, Hyundai Motor Group chief design officer. The GV80 will probably be Genesis’ best-selling vehicle in the U.S. by the end of 2021, Genesis chief operating officer Erwin Raphael said. Genesis is Hyundai’s luxury brand.

Launched in 2017, Genesis has yet to make a splash compared to established brands like Audi, Lexus and Jaguar. That’s at least partly because its current lineup consists of three sedans, and not a single one of the SUVs that make up a growing part of the market. The GV80 was developed to change that.

"The GV80 is the brand’s most significant U.S. launch to date," said IHS Markit analyst Stephanie Brinley. "The GV80 opens opportunities to reach a broader base of customers. Expanding the product lineup by one more vehicle is a necessary step in developing the brand for the longterm future that Hyundai Motor Company expects for its young luxury brand."

Electronic luxury

The GV80 will introduce a new adaptive cruise control system that can learn its drivers’ style. For instance, the system could adapt to match your preference for accelerating quickly when a space opens in front of your vehicle. Conversely, it also will apply accelerator and brakes more smoothly than the brand’s current system for greater passenger comfort, Raphael said.

The GV80’s noise cancellation system will go a step beyond current systems that mask engine noise and vibration by also screening out road noise. Like the noise-canceling headphones many of us use on airplanes, it should make for more relaxing travel and easier conversations. The U.S. will probably be the GV80’s second-largest market, after Korea, so American tastes played a large role in the development of the SUV. It’ll be available with rear- or all-wheel drive. Power will come from a 300-horsepower

turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder engine and a twin-turbo 3.5L V6 engine producing around 360 hp. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. About 5 inches longer than a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the GV80 has a large, five-sided diamond-pattern grille. The roof curves down at the D-pillar toward flared rear fenders. It’ll be available with 20-, 21- or 22-inch alloy wheels.

Genesis will add a second, smaller SUV called the GV70 in 2021. The GV80 is built on the same architecture and likely to share its drivetrains with a new version of the G80 sport sedan debuting shortly after the SUV.
"Expanding the product lineup by one more vehicle is a necessary step in developing the brand for the long-term future that Hyundai Motor Company expects for its young luxury brand." Stephanie Brinley, IHS Markit analyst
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #46
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I have not seen many Genesis dealers yet. Most are tucked in the back of crappy Hyundai dealers. They need to step it up several notches.
Genesis actually has more dealers than any other luxury brand and are trying to cull the herd and bring that number down. Unfortunately they dropped the requirement to have separate facilities so the overwhelming majority of dealers will be co-located with a Hyundai dealership. As time goes on and the product line expands, I think we will see more and more standalone dealers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:35 AM   #47
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
A lot of insecurity here. It's pretty obvious who here buys the car for the badge, lol. It's just a car. A freaking boat of an SUV. I can appreciate the engineering but all cars are value propositions under $100k. The GV80 will be slightly cheaper than the X5, offer more paper features, but not be quite as refined. Obviously. If they really wanted to they could build a car as nice as a BMW. It's just no one would buy it because most people are badge snobs. Think about Lexus. They obviously have the capability to make a car just as good as an S class or X5. They just do not because the L badge doesn't have as much cachet as the three pointed star or roundel.
Appreciate 3
mcsa65.00
RJC179.00
      02-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #48
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
A lot of insecurity here. It's pretty obvious who here buys the car for the badge, lol. It's just a car. A freaking boat of an SUV. I can appreciate the engineering but all cars are value propositions under $100k. The GV80 will be slightly cheaper than the X5, offer more paper features, but not be quite as refined. Obviously. If they really wanted to they could build a car as nice as a BMW. It's just no one would buy it because most people are badge snobs. Think about Lexus. They obviously have the capability to make a car just as good as an S class or X5. They just do not because the L badge doesn't have as much cachet as the three pointed star or roundel.

Not totally sure about the Lexus point. They make the LX which is an oddity since it has a higher base price than the X7 and GLS. The reason they don't sell well is because it's an ancient platform with ancient technology in dire need of updating (and most people don't care to offroad).

So Lexus already makes a car more expensive than the equivalent Germans, but they refuse to update it. You'd think for the price they're charging, they'd make it at least on par with the Germans.

Lexus has a huge SUV following (more so than any other SUV on the market) due to the success of the RX. So I firmly believe if they updated their GX and LX models with technology and driving dynamics that aren't literally over a decade old, they'd pose a legitimate threat to the X5/GLE and X7/GLS. More so than any of the other luxury brands (Acura, Infiniti, Genesis, etc).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      02-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

I think one of the reasons that Lexus has the reliability they do is because they generally do not update very often or seem to embrace new technology until it is old/proven. In some way you can't argue with that business model. They are the gold standard for reliability and sell almost twice as many mid size luxury SUVs as the number two seller, the X5. While they are not my cup of tea in either design or function, they certainly appeal to many consumers.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:59 AM   #50
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Luxury means alot of things to different people and different value systems. BMW history and driving dynamics are a huge reason it is valued and priced the way it is. There is a reason a Steinway is above a Yamaha piano and it isn't because of name branding. There really is no need to have to justify or even explain why. BMW invented the luxury SUV category with the X5.
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00
      02-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #51
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think one of the reasons that Lexus has the reliability they do is because they generally do not update very often or seem to embrace new technology until it is old/proven. In some way you can't argue with that business model. They are the gold standard for reliability and sell almost twice as many mid size luxury SUVs as the number two seller, the X5. While they are not my cup of tea in either design or function, they certainly appeal to many consumers.
Totally agree that they are slower to adapt to new technologies and generally hold off until they're confident in the technology's reliability. It's a business model that has served them well.... at the price point of the RX.

That being said, charging a starting MSRP of $86k for an LX with decades old technology/driving dynamics is my point. It's an anomaly to their luxury on a budget value prop. If they're going to price it above the Germans, it's an opportunity to build something that offers more than just reliability. The fact that they don't is manifested in their sales (at least in the US market).

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #52
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
TThat being said, charging a starting MSRP of $86k for an LX with decades old technology/driving dynamics is my point. It's an anomaly to their luxury on a budget value prop. If they're going to price it above the Germans, it's an opportunity to build something that offers more than just reliability. The fact that they don't is manifested in their sales (at least in the US market).
I was just making the comment regarding Lexus in general. As far as the LX goes, I wonder if they figure they wouldn't be able to compete with the higher selling large luxury SUVs without making drastic changes to their philosophy and investing a huge amount of capital in development. Given that, they just offer the LX and take any sales they can get since their initial development costs have been recouped many times over it becomes a high profit vehicle for them even though few units are sold.

I found this chart of the 2019 US Large Luxury SUV sales, as you alluded to, their sales are way behind the top sellers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      02-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #53
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Here is the chart for the mid-size, the RX is actually more than double the X5.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #54
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
As far as the LX goes, I wonder if they figure they wouldn't be able to compete with the higher selling large luxury SUVs without making drastic changes to their philosophy and investing a huge amount of capital in development. Given that, they just offer the LX and take any sales they can get since their initial development costs have been recouped many times over it becomes a high profit vehicle for them even though few units are sold.
That may very well be the case. Continue to milk the high volume mid-size market with the RX, while minimizing costs in a market where you don't think you'll be able to compete.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #55
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

why is this topic still trending? who cares about buying a luxury kia lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #56
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Not totally sure about the Lexus point. They make the LX which is an oddity since it has a higher base price than the X7 and GLS. The reason they don't sell well is because it's an ancient platform with ancient technology in dire need of updating (and most people don't care to offroad).

So Lexus already makes a car more expensive than the equivalent Germans, but they refuse to update it. You'd think for the price they're charging, they'd make it at least on par with the Germans.

Lexus has a huge SUV following (more so than any other SUV on the market) due to the success of the RX. So I firmly believe if they updated their GX and LX models with technology and driving dynamics that aren't literally over a decade old, they'd pose a legitimate threat to the X5/GLE and X7/GLS. More so than any of the other luxury brands (Acura, Infiniti, Genesis, etc).
The Land Cruiser is expensive because it's a very capable body on frame off road true SUV with luxury interior bits. The LX, which is mechanically the same car, is basically the same price plus a couple thousand bucks. It's designed to last decades, not just 6 years.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 02-01-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #57
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The LX is expensive because it's a very capable body on frame off road true SUV with luxury interior bits. The actual Toyota LandCruiser is basically the same price minus a couple thousand bucks. It's designed to last decades, not just 6 years.
I agree, but Toyota offers an awful lot of body on frame SUV's to a US market which doesn't have much demand for them... between the 4runner, sequoia, land cruiser, GX and LX.

Regardless of Toyota's intentions and despite the differences in design, most people will associate the LX as a luxury 3 row SUV competing with the X7/GLS. (most people won't know/care what body on frame is and also won't go off-roading). So I think the question is, if Lexus already sells an SUV at that price point, what would happen if they modernized it? Or look at it another way, what if they took their best selling RX, gave it a few extra features to put it on par with the X5 and price it similarly, how would sales compare to the X5/GLE?

This is all just hypothetical speak - things I think about on a Saturday morning

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #58
scotchy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Luxury means alot of things to different people and different value systems. BMW history and driving dynamics are a huge reason it is valued and priced the way it is. There is a reason a Steinway is above a Yamaha piano and it isn't because of name branding. There really is no need to have to justify or even explain why. BMW invented the luxury SUV category with the X5.
Agreed, and there's no convincing someone who wants to purchase "yeah but the Yamaha really is great!"
I've a client who wanted all sub-zero/wolf appliances for their new kitchen. The sales guy tried to save them some money with offerings of appliances that were 1/4 the price. Not happening.
With anything "luxury", cars, appliances, shoes, clothes, sure you're sometimes paying a little (in some cases a lot) more for the name attached to the brand, but more often than not you're getting a product that justifies it in many ways.
And in other cases it's just wanting to have what you want... are my wife's Gucci purses better than brand X that costs $200? Or $20?

We've all different priorities and budgets but I find most of the time if ever having a discussion with someone about this sort of thing, if you remove the cost out of the equation and they're honest, everyone would go with a Ferrari over a Toyota for a sports car etc etc. For every BMW/Mercedes "snob" justifying why their car is better, you've a budget minded whatever other brand "snob" telling you why theirs is just as good.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #59
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
Agreed, and there's no convincing someone who wants to purchase "yeah but the Yamaha really is great!"
I've a client who wanted all sub-zero/wolf appliances for their new kitchen. The sales guy tried to save them some money with offerings of appliances that were 1/4 the price. Not happening.
With anything "luxury", cars, appliances, shoes, clothes, sure you're sometimes paying a little (in some cases a lot) more for the name attached to the brand, but more often than not you're getting a product that justifies it in many ways.
And in other cases it's just wanting to have what you want... are my wife's Gucci purses better than brand X that costs $200? Or $20?

We've all different priorities and budgets but I find most of the time if ever having a discussion with someone about this sort of thing, if you remove the cost out of the equation and they're honest, everyone would go with a Ferrari over a Toyota for a sports car etc etc. For every BMW/Mercedes "snob" justifying why their car is better, you've a budget minded whatever other brand "snob" telling you why theirs is just as good.
Or people who understand that you pretty much get what you pay for in most cars on the market. The market is way too competitive for any car to survive if it's not worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #60
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

My wife is on her 3rd RX and will not drive anything else. It is 10 years old and has not had a single repair other than a recall for the headlights which was fixed in a couple hours. The only maintenance has been oil and filter changes and a set of front brake pads. Paint looks like a new car and interior has only minor wear on the driver's seat.
It's not my cup of tea but it is a reliable and comfortable vehicle. I cannot say the same for any of my 13 BMWs or 4 Audi's.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 1
wtwo317864.00
      02-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #61
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
My wife is on her 3rd RX and will not drive anything else. It is 10 years old and has not had a single repair other than a recall for the headlights which was fixed in a couple hours. The only maintenance has been oil and filter changes and a set of front brake pads. Paint looks like a new car and interior has only minor wear on the driver's seat.
It's not my cup of tea but it is a reliable and comfortable vehicle. I cannot say the same for any of my 13 BMWs or 4 Audi's.
We were also a decade in on our RX before finally deciding we just wanted something newer. A 2010 RX with about 140k miles on it and the only thing we ever had to replace outside of regular maintenance was a faulty O2 sensor.

She was set on a 2020 RX, but I convinced her to expand and look at others, and once we drove the X5 it was a done deal.

Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      02-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #62
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
why is this topic still trending? who cares about buying a luxury kia lol
Ever driven a G70? Give it a try - isn’t a luxury Kia.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      02-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #63
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

i wouldn't test drive it because there's no senario that I would buy it, unless for some reason they came out with some exclusive new innovative feature. you can call it brand snobbery if you want, but the truth is perception matters. I wouldn't spend this kind of money on a car and then have to constantly defend it to people who would say something like 'oh he's too poor to get a real luxury brand' etc. these cars are like knock off prada bags. If i didn't have the money, i'd just get a nice toyota till I could save and get something I actually wanted.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #64
wtwo3
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I cross shopped one with my m340. The G70 is great, especially at the price point. But the m340 is just all around better in pretty much every aspect except maybe comfort.

Appreciate 1
M40i4me1014.50
      02-02-2020, 12:11 AM   #65
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

I like it, a lot. I think it looks good and this is just what Genesis needed, an SUV to get their names out there, not to mention this will be their first vehicle to have exclusive switchgear, materials, design, etc. that isn't a part of the normal Hyundai/Kia products like the Sonata or Santa Fe.

I drove the G70 and came away pretty impressed, and I think Albert Biernmann is doing a good job bringing some soul and sportiness into the Hyundai brand, not to mention the new Telluride is an excellent vehicle and apparently everyone else seems to think so as they're selling more than they can make. Can't wait to see one of these in person, the interior in particular looks very luxurious., not to mention the value proposition will likely be very strong. Hyundai is no longer the same shitbox company from the early 90's, things have changed, should be some good competition.

Also, they are offering it in a beautiful green! Wish more car companies would do that!
      03-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #66
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Just to complete this, here is the US pricing for the GV80. The 2.5t starts at $48k and the top trim 3.5 around $72k
Appreciate 0