BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #111
SHARMAATL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

For me, there are three main reasons and one minor reason that someone would not pick a GV80 over an X5/GLE:

Major:
1. Drive - the GV80 simply will not have as dynamic of a drive as either the X5 or GLE (also throwing worse fuel economy in this category)

2. Customization - Luxury buyers in the $60K+ SUV range expect levels of customization for exterior/interior/trim that Genesis cannot offer.

3. Dealer experience - You can pay over $70K and you're still stuck with the same awful Hyundai cookie-cutter dealer experience as the 15K Elantra buyer. BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus dealers offer cafes, amenities, etc that a Hyundai dealer can't match without a major overhaul.

Minor:
1. Badge - While Genesis will continue the upmarket move, people will often choose a BMW simply because it's a BMW.
Appreciate 1
M40i4me1037.00
      10-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #112
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
For me, there are three main reasons and one minor reason that someone would not pick a GV80 over an X5/GLE:

Major:
1. Drive - the GV80 simply will not have as dynamic of a drive as either the X5 or GLE (also throwing worse fuel economy in this category)

2. Customization - Luxury buyers in the $60K+ SUV range expect levels of customization for exterior/interior/trim that Genesis cannot offer.

3. Dealer experience - You can pay over $70K and you're still stuck with the same awful Hyundai cookie-cutter dealer experience as the 15K Elantra buyer. BMW/Merc/Audi/Lexus dealers offer cafes, amenities, etc that a Hyundai dealer can't match without a major overhaul.

Minor:
1. Badge - While Genesis will continue the upmarket move, people will often choose a BMW simply because it's a BMW.
Right you are. I was surprised to learn from the video that to get close to the G05, it will cost $72K. Not sure what their marketing folks used to set the price but at that price its a no brainer to just go with an X5. I would have thought it would have maxed out in the low to mid 60's in order to capture German marketshare.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #113
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Right you are. I was surprised to learn from the video that to get close to the G05, it will cost $72K. Not sure what their marketing folks used to set the price but at that price its a no brainer to just go with an X5. I would have thought it would have maxed out in the low to mid 60's in order to capture German marketshare.
That pricing for Korean crap is obviously not going to work well. Korean auto makers suck plain and simple. Hyundai is notorious for ripping off the German auto industry with their tin can knock offs. Genesis stuff reminds me of the Chinese Louis Vuitton knock off purses that so many Walmart shoppers shamelessly carry. I love the clowns who brag about saving tens of thousands on their Korean Mercedes, what a joke.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
M40i4me1037.00
      10-25-2020, 10:34 AM   #114
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

Minor:
My dealer no longer offers any amenities since covid19 so ha! I dont really think the dealer experience factors into the decision. I think your minor point is the major point: why on earth would you pick a hyundai over an established brand? at the end of the day, its still just a hyundai
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #115
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
That pricing for Korean crap is obviously not going to work well. Korean auto makers suck plain and simple. Hyundai is notorious for ripping off the German auto industry with their tin can knock offs. Genesis stuff reminds me of the Chinese Louis Vuitton knock off purses that so many Walmart shoppers shamelessly carry. I love the clowns who brag about saving tens of thousands on their Korean Mercedes, what a joke.
Hey speedyman, when we go Naples to visit friends, we always stop at DeRomo's. Nice place, full of yummy things to eat and a good place to pick up a gift for our friends.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #116
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey speedyman, when we go Naples to visit friends, we always stop at DeRomo's. Nice place, full of yummy things to eat and a good place to pick up a gift for our friends.
Yes, DeRomos is great, very close to where we live. Nice family owned Italian rest. They have had a tough time with the Wu Flu, food and service not up to par right now. Hopefully they get back up to speed in the near future. You are correct, great place.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #117
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
My dealer no longer offers any amenities since covid19 so ha! I dont really think the dealer experience factors into the decision. I think your minor point is the major point: why on earth would you pick a hyundai over an established brand? at the end of the day, its still just a hyundai
All that "dealer amenities" stuff is for suckers that don't understand that they are paying for the coffee, soft drinks, snacks, "massage chairs", etc. We are paying for all this crap. Always amazes me how so many of us expect this treatment and many find some type of validation by receiving it.
These places are car dealers not day spas. You can go an hour without being fed and coddled.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101165.00
      10-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #118
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
All that "dealer amenities" stuff is for suckers that don't understand that they are paying for the coffee, soft drinks, snacks, "massage chairs", etc. We are paying for all this crap. Always amazes me how so many of us expect this treatment and many find some type of validation by receiving it.
These places are car dealers not day spas. You can go an hour without being fed and coddled.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #119
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
The ones paying for those lounges are the ones who pay MSRP.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101165.00
M40i4me1037.00
      10-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #120
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
We are BMW owners. We must be fed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #121
speedyman
Banned
Rep

There is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to eat most of what is garbage at a car dealer. No wonder there are so many fat slobs everywhere.

Last edited by speedyman; 10-27-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #122
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is absolutely no reason why anyone needs to eat most of what is garbage at a car dealer. No wonder there are so many fat slobs everywhere.
your dealership has food?? Ours only has candy and coffee.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #123
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
your dealership has food?? Ours only has candy and coffee.
Quote:
We have a barrista! Not as good as Lexus though....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #124
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
We have a barrista! Not as good as Lexus though....
Wow, all the more reason for me to never shop at our local dealership again. I had no idea dealerships could be that swanky. Ours recently moved to a much nicer location with a posh building but there werent any more amenities there than the old location. You just got got water/coffee/hot chocolate/tea. That's it. You would think they were maintaining the no frills attitude to move vehicles but no. They rarely give out good deals AND they're stingy about loaners when your car is in for service. They are the only dealership in the city so I guess being a monopoly has its perks. Just makes me so glad I found this forum lol, I'm never going back there.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #125
DiamondGraphite
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

Major:

Minor:
Quote:

I believe you are wrong about the Genesis dealerships. In California at least, there are distinct genesis dealerships, which are very different from Hyundai dealerships. They offer upgraded services, noted below, which are decidedly high end.

Alex on Autos (YouTube) recently reviewed the GV80 and compared it to the BMW X5. He concluded it handles similarly to an X5.

GENESIS SERVICE VALET
You may never set foot in our service center. With complimentary Genesis Service Valet for 3 years or 36,000 miles, we'll perform a remote diagnostic check, pick up your vehicle, send a Courtesy Replacement and return your Genesis when it's ready.

MULTIMEDIA & NAVIGATION UPDATES
COMPLIMENTARY MAINTENANCE
Enjoy a worry-free ownership experience that includes Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance for 3 years or 36,000 miles; whichever comes first. Plus, complimentary oil changes every normally scheduled maintenance appointment.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:01 AM   #126
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Does it have more ambient colors than the 5 or so that BMW offers? That is a win right there IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 06:18 AM   #127
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Quote:
Any opinions on the upcoming Genesis GV80? From some of the early videos I've seen, it looks like quite the luxurious vehicle for what should be a much lower price than BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

A lot of reviewers are bringing up the X5 and GLE as being in the GV80's crosshairs.

Thoughts?

Here are a couple videos:
It doesn't look to have any really important advantages over the X5, there are some differences of course but feature for feature, nothing I saw stood out. However, with owners, and onlookers, of the X5 and its reliability issues, people are wanting a competitive offering. Even though this will be the first year out for the GV80, Hyundai's already proven reliability in addition to their longer bumper to bumper warranty over BMW, will take some marketshare.

Its going to depend on its performance figures which are not yet released. The V6, if it does a 0-60 in the 5-5.6 second range and at a final price point of say $15-18K below the X5 40i, may be enough to persuade BMW buyers to make the switch.

I didn't notice any back seat wrinkles The front grill is a little hard to walk up to though - ugh - but all the makes are growing their grills.
There is a perception that Hyundai and Kia are dependable and reliable brands and the perception also indicates that German brands are unreliable, yet year after year BMW and Porsche rank above those brands. Porsche is currently ranked #2 and BMW #8 compared to Hyundai ranked at #13.

The X5, Cayenne and GLE are very reliable vehicles perception aside.
      10-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #128
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Any opinions on the upcoming Genesis GV80? From some of the early videos I've seen, it looks like quite the luxurious vehicle for what should be a much lower price than BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

A lot of reviewers are bringing up the X5 and GLE as being in the GV80's crosshairs.

Thoughts?

Here are a couple videos:
It doesn't look to have any really important advantages over the X5, there are some differences of course but feature for feature, nothing I saw stood out. However, with owners, and onlookers, of the X5 and its reliability issues, people are wanting a competitive offering. Even though this will be the first year out for the GV80, Hyundai's already proven reliability in addition to their longer bumper to bumper warranty over BMW, will take some marketshare.

Its going to depend on its performance figures which are not yet released. The V6, if it does a 0-60 in the 5-5.6 second range and at a final price point of say $15-18K below the X5 40i, may be enough to persuade BMW buyers to make the switch.

I didn't notice any back seat wrinkles The front grill is a little hard to walk up to though - ugh - but all the makes are growing their grills.
There is a perception that Hyundai and Kia are dependable and reliable brands and the perception also indicates that German brands are unreliable, yet year after year BMW and Porsche rank above those brands. Porsche is currently ranked #2 and BMW #8 compared to Hyundai ranked at #13.

The X5, Cayenne and GLE are very reliable vehicles perception aside.
The perception behind "unreliability" of german brands is associated with long term ownership and outside of the warranty. The "awards" that Porsche and BMW are winning are "initial" so the first year or so, in which one would hope any car would not be unreliable first year regardless of brand. When it comes to long term ownership a german car will most likely require more upkeep than say a Lexus.
      10-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #129
parkstr8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 MSport Arctic Grey

To add to this, just out today. Nice styling job, inside and out. And 2 available steering wheels. lol

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/28/...#slide-2274004

And Doug DeMuro loves the G80.
. So I'm certain he will love the same things in the GV.

lol
Appreciate 1
RJC179.00
      10-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #130
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGraphite View Post
I believe you are wrong about the Genesis dealerships. In California at least, there are distinct genesis dealerships, which are very different from Hyundai dealerships. They offer upgraded services, noted below, which are decidedly high end.
There are a handful of Genesis dealerships throughout the US that have gone to separate facilities. I believe there are two in California and moist are located on the same lot as the Hyundai dealer they are tied to. Genesis is trying to get them to build separate buildings but they are currently being sued once again by dealers in an effort to block that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #131
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
There are a handful of Genesis dealerships throughout the US that have gone to separate facilities. I believe there are two in California and moist are located on the same lot as the Hyundai dealer they are tied to. Genesis is trying to get them to build separate buildings but they are currently being sued once again by dealers in an effort to block that.
Yeah they really botched that Genesis brand launch with the G70, I know you were very active on G70 forums at the time. It was a disaster with people in different states trying to figure out if/when they can buy a G70...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #132
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

and yet another GV80 review.. ..

.https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-ca...wsletter_NewDD
Appreciate 0