Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
The mentioned broken camera switching method...
what is this method?
It's the issue where in US designated cars (which aren't only sold in US and specifically also includes the Canadian builds), when you put the car in R, the camera shows rear view correctly automatically, but if you then switch to D, the camera remains on the rear view and doesn't automatically switch to forward view. This lack of automatic switch to forward view under this exact routine/daily sequence is the critical problem. It behaves correctly (camera view automatically follows gear switch in this specific sequence) in most of the rest of the world. In coding, it is clear that US is designated differently for this than the rest of the world.

It is best to find old threads on this for further discussion as it is difficult to keep everyone focused on the precise issue rather than some other variants or permutations.
      07-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #90
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
It is best to find old threads on this for further discussion as it is difficult to keep everyone focused in the precise issue rather than some other variants or permutations.
yeah I noticed that too. When you said 'the broken camera switching method', I was thinking in terms of thinking you all had a workaround fix that didn't involve coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #91
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
The remote 3D view now shows the color of my car as white instead of silver. I'm not sure if this is only in 07/2020.x release as I have skipped 03/2020.x. My last 3D view in July 11 with the same CD app was with silver color.
Intentional to spite owners wanting for silver or lighter grey metallic G05s

Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      07-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #92
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
The remote 3D view now shows the color of my car as white instead of silver. I'm not sure if this is only in 07/2020.x release as I have skipped 03/2020.x. My last 3D view in July 11 with the same CD app was with silver color.
Intentional to spite owners wanting for silver or lighter grey metallic G05s

I initially joked the color was reserved for 3D view but now that it's gone it is like adding insult to injury😂
Auricom4361.50
      07-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #93
DFWBMX5
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 X40i

HI Guys,

Has BMW started pushing OTAs for this update yet or is it dealer installed only at this time?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 11:43 AM   #94
JTG1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Pretty sure dealer only at this point
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #95
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The mentioned broken camera switching method...
what is this method?
It's the issue where in US designated cars (which aren't only sold in US and specifically also includes the Canadian builds), when you put the car in R, the camera shows rear view correctly automatically, but if you then switch to D, the camera remains on the rear view and doesn't automatically switch to forward view. This lack of automatic switch to forward view under this exact routine/daily sequence is the critical problem. It behaves correctly (camera view automatically follows gear switch in this specific sequence) in most of the rest of the world. In coding, it is clear that US is designated differently for this than the rest of the world.

It is best to find old threads on this for further discussion as it is difficult to keep everyone focused on the precise issue rather than some other variants or permutations.
It's working fine on my UK 07/2020 I-step, so in theory should be fixable in coding again give or take a day or 7
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      07-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #96
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
It's working fine on my UK 07/2020 I-step, so in theory should be fixable in coding again give or take a day or 7
My engineering life and life in general has overwhelmingly proven that problems not taken to root cause come back to seriously bite you eventually. What worries me is that we don't know the root cause of the delay in activation of the fix coding.
      07-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #97
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
My engineering life and life in general has overwhelmingly proven that problems not taken to root cause come back to seriously bite you eventually. What worries me is that we don't know the root cause of the delay in activation of the fix coding.
A simple call to one of the Genius's should give the answer

Ok, ok, well, when software is changed, it takes a while to compile so could it be that the processors in the cars multiple puters each need time to do this? I can imagine that they are not the fastest guns in the west and even though most may not have been impacted by a code change, they are all told to compile anyway? Dunno, I'm sort of discounting what I'm writing as I write it Why am I even trying to figure this out???
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #98
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
A simple call to one of the Genius's should give the answer

Ok, ok, well, when software is changed, it takes a while to compile so could it be that the processors in the cars multiple puters each need time to do this? I can imagine that they are not the fastest guns in the west and even though most may not have been impacted by a code change, they are all told to compile anyway? Dunno, I'm sort of discounting what I'm writing as I write it Why am I even trying to figure this out???
Hm, well it is Fri so ... cheers to whatever you're consuming, Marty, and I wish I had some of that for myself on hand as well :-).
      07-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #99
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hm, well it is Fri so ... cheers to whatever you're consuming, Marty, and I wish I had some of that for myself on hand as well :-).
Isn't it always Friday?
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      07-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #100
ghurty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Mine is almost complete as it stands. Self-driving works really well with all these systems engaged:
1. Assisted Driving ++
2. aSLA
3. TLR/GWW
4. NHA - passive but good to know it's there
5. auto Lane Change Assistant
Do you know if this would work in the US? I just ordered my cables to be able to code via bimmercode.

Where would I find how to code this? I found the instructions from aSLA, but not the others.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #101
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
From all reports they don’t plan on changing how the cameras work. Evidently that is how BMWs always have operated except for a short time with the early X5s. That said I really haven’t paid attention to it but assume it didn’t change.

I definitely enjoyed the way it worked before on the 7 and 5.

Maybe some of you already know this. It sticks to rear view if you activated the camera by putting the car in reverse (but you can manually select A view to change how it functions), I guess the logic is if you selected R then you should be paying attention to the rear and who cares about going forward , and since you are reversing, and not necessarily parking, the front probably isn't much of a concern;

BUT if you activated the camera by pressing the autoPark button (the logic is if you are parking, especially parallel parking, you'd probably need to see both front and rear), then the view will be locked on A and it'll show front or rear depending on D or R gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #102
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That theory is inaccurate. The mentioned broken camera switching method is only such for US designated cars (and a couple of other countries, Canada being taken down by the US designation as well). Almost everywhere else in the world, the camera correctly follows the gear shift as it should.

With @ifr's help, we have successfully coded the US designated cars to work properly on past ISTEPs, but there is unpredictable and unexplained lag of many days after the coding.

For the record, I will literally not allow my car to be updated unless it is known that this specific issue can still be coded to fix on the updated ISTEP. It's the issue that would flip me from answering the "buy again" poll from my current "yes" to a hard "no".

It's annoying, but a sound logic how they function now. I have 03/2020, so maybe they changed it on this version?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #103
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
yeah I noticed that too. When you said 'the broken camera switching method', I was thinking in terms of thinking you all had a workaround fix that didn't involve coding.

Just press autoPark instead of selecting R to active the cameras, or once in reverse, manually select A view. Annoying but a sound logic
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #104
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSAC View Post
Quote:

Just press autoPark instead of selecting R to active the cameras, or once in reverse, manually select A view. Annoying but a sound logic
Sorry, what is "sound" about continuing to show driver the camera direction you could not possibly move into when in D, while not showing driver the actual direction you're going into when in D?

Do you walk backwards and look forward? How is that working out?
      07-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #105
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, what is "sound" about continuing to show driver the camera direction you could not possibly move into when in D, while not showing driver the actual direction you're going into when in D?

It works great while playing FPS's but not so sure when driving, maybe racing and someone is coming up on your tail! 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #106
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It works great while playing FPS's but not so sure when driving, maybe racing and someone is coming up on your tail! 😂
While I appreciate the joke, for precision, it is (mostly) still possible to control the camera direction manually. So you could still watch the rear while driving forward with user control and your (slow speed) video game experience remains available. This specific issue is about the lack of *automatic* camera switch with gear shift switch ie during natural, daily, and routine, rather than video game or otherwise rare and specialized, style of driving.
      07-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #107
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:

BMW's sound logic is: R means reversing, and not necessarily parking, the front probably isn't much of a concern, because after reversing, you'll probably be driving off while your eyes would be up front and facing the open road; and you CAN activated the camera by pressing the autoPark button (the logic is if you are parking, especially parallel parking, you'd probably need to see both front and rear), then the view will be locked on A and it'll show front or rear depending on D or R gear.

That's annoying, but sound
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #108
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

BMW's sound logic is: R means reversing, and not necessarily parking, the front probably isn't much of a concern; and you CAN activated the camera by pressing the autoPark button (the logic is if you are parking, especially parallel parking, you'd probably need to see both front and rear), then the view will be locked on A and it'll show front or rear depending on D or R gear.

That's a ridiculous justification that even BMW clearly doesn't believe since it works right outside US and Canada stock.
      07-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #109
BMWSAC
Banned
Rep

Quote:
While I appreciate the joke, for precision, it is (mostly) still possible to control the camera direction manually. So you could still watch the rear while driving forward with user control and your (slow speed) video game experience remains available. This specific issue is about the lack of *automatic* camera switch with gear shift switch ie during natural, daily, and routine, rather than video game or otherwise rare and specialized, style of driving.

This so called "lack of automatic camera switch" is untrue. The auto view can be switched 1, by pressing the autoPark button, or 2, by selecting the A view when the cameras were activated with the R gear.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #110
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
BMW's sound logic is: R means reversing, and not necessarily parking, the front probably isn't much of a concern, because after reversing, you'll probably be driving off while your eyes would be up front and facing the open road; and you CAN activated the camera by pressing the autoPark button (the logic is if you are parking, especially parallel parking, you'd probably need to see both front and rear), then the view will be locked on A and it'll show front or rear depending on D or R gear.

Not logical at all, you are presenting an excuse for the design not a logical reason for it. There is absolutely no use case that has been presented that warrants the screen presenting the rear view when going forward rather than the front view.
Appreciate 0