09-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #90
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
This would work on any G05, correct? Doesn't need to have certain packages or be a certain trim?
Yes, any G05 with ambient lighting which I think comes as a standard.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      09-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #91
sp33dster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3

I work at a BMW dealership in the service department and I see a lot of people taking interest into this. I think this is awesome but I would like to caution owners to plan on doing this or already have done this.

With the newer vehicles and software, BMW can now flag your car without any notice. Sometimes, we do not even know! With the VIN flagged, your advisor cannot perform any service on the car until we contact the market team and the managers get involved. With the newer generation of vehicles, it can see any type of modifications, big or small that has been done. Most people say, "well, I can revert it back before bringing it into the dealership", it can still see a modification being done.

There are a lot of software updates that are needed on the vehicle when your bring the car for service. At times, with a check engine light or another component needing a part replacement, a software programming is needed. The software that we have at the dealership will catch these small modifications and it will sent it to BMW.

Again, not hating on this, but I would like to spread the word out. Last thing I want or your advisor wants is a phone call saying your VIN is flagged.
Appreciate 5
LexxM31697.50
KRS_SN13103.00
clee1982796.00
VipinLJ1936.50
      09-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #92
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Love this!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #93
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33dster View Post
I work at a BMW dealership in the service department and I see a lot of people taking interest into this. I think this is awesome but I would like to caution owners to plan on doing this or already have done this.

With the newer vehicles and software, BMW can now flag your car without any notice. Sometimes, we do not even know! With the VIN flagged, your advisor cannot perform any service on the car until we contact the market team and the managers get involved. With the newer generation of vehicles, it can see any type of modifications, big or small that has been done. Most people say, "well, I can revert it back before bringing it into the dealership", it can still see a modification being done.

There are a lot of software updates that are needed on the vehicle when your bring the car for service. At times, with a check engine light or another component needing a part replacement, a software programming is needed. The software that we have at the dealership will catch these small modifications and it will sent it to BMW.

Again, not hating on this, but I would like to spread the word out. Last thing I want or your advisor wants is a phone call saying your VIN is flagged.
I would encourage you to look up the Moss-Magnusson Act. BMW is NOT above the law and they cannot deny warranty service without proving the modification caused damage to your vehicle. This kind of uninformed trash is how dealers have bullied owners for years. The informed owner will not accept that bullying and stupid stuff like that won't happen.

My dealer told me that they would void my warranty if I changed my own oil. Changed my oil! I obviously warned them of the consequences if they did that and they backed down. This idea that car manufacturers are above the law is an utter joke. You mention Moss-Magnusson to the dealer and let a dealer know you have talked to your lawyer and I assure you that they will not crap on you any more.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      09-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #94
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

Good to know, sincere thanks, but it shouldn't ultimately matter for small stuff like this or *almost* any coding discussed around here, particularly in US where there are laws that specifically disallow a manufacturer to deny warranty due to modifications unless they can show that the modification itself is what caused the defect. I can't see ambient lighting causing an engine failure.

Instead of being constantly against it's customers, BMW should figure out how to monetize this level and depth of customization. Hire a team of smart interns to write usable software and give them commission. $1 per small customization if you retain it beyond 7 days. But they're too far up their own asses to do so.

In my case, most of my coding is to solve actual bugs/design defects which render the driving experience frustrating at best. So, frankly, BMW is going to have a rather severe and public fight on their hands if they try to take any dumb punitive actions in my case.
      09-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #95
sp33dster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Imola Red M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
I would encourage you to look up the Moss-Magnusson Act. BMW is NOT above the law and they cannot deny warranty service without proving the modification caused damage to your vehicle. This kind of uninformed trash is how dealers have bullied owners for years. The informed owner will not accept that bullying and stupid stuff like that won't happen.

My dealer told me that they would void my warranty if I changed my own oil. Changed my oil! I obviously warned them of the consequences if they did that and they backed down. This idea that car manufacturers are above the law is an utter joke. You mention Moss-Magnusson to the dealer and let a dealer know you have talked to your lawyer and I assure you that they will not crap on you any more.
I never said anything about voiding your warranty, and if you had an advisor that said changing your own oil will void your warranty, you may want to find another representative to assist you.

Your VIN being flagged means we have to reach out to BMW to figure why this is the case and to what severity. This does not mean we will not cover your oil change under warranty or look at your check engine light. It means we have to take an extra step and reach out to BMW. Most enthusiasts do not want their car at the dealer for days, this just adds an extra step to the process.

The dealer is not the one who input these checks and balances. It is BMWNA. We are the one's who pass the message down to the owner, which makes us look like the asshole.

Most of my technicians and other advisors like modifications on cars. I even customer come in with VIN's being flagged and we still assist the customer and get their concerns taken care of. I even got an engine covered for one. The only reason why I posted to ease the pain you may have when you visit the dealership.
Appreciate 4
LexxM31697.50
KRS_SN13103.00
clee1982796.00
VipinLJ1936.50
      09-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #96
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never said anything about voiding your warranty, and if you had an advisor that said changing your own oil will void your warranty, you may want to find another representative to assist you.

Your VIN being flagged means we have to reach out to BMW to figure why this is the case and to what severity. This does not mean we will not cover your oil change under warranty or look at your check engine light. It means we have to take an extra step and reach out to BMW. Most enthusiasts do not want their car at the dealer for days, this just adds an extra step to the process.

The dealer is not the one who input these checks and balances. It is BMWNA. We are the one's who pass the message down to the owner, which makes us look like the asshole.

Most of my technicians and other advisors like modifications on cars. I even customer come in with VIN's being flagged and we still assist the customer and get their concerns taken care of. I even got an engine covered for one. The only reason why I posted to ease the pain you may have when you visit the dealership.
I personally don’t care if they keep my vehicle an extra day, but they won’t be taking anything from me that I paid a lot of money for.

I am an OG coder and go back to the INPA / NCS days. BMW has left us be forever. Most dealers find it cool. All of the coding is stuff BMW gave us, but turned it off or pre-selected a different setting. There is nothing in coding that BMW didn’t program into the vehicle. In this case, you are changing simple HTML color values in basic byte bins in libraries BMW built. They can flag away but it will go no where.
Appreciate 1
Tch-Nrd118.50
      09-01-2020, 11:56 PM   #97
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
ghetto
Ghettofabulous

09-02-2020, 12:32 AM   #98
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:

Good to know, sincere thanks, but it shouldn't ultimately matter for small stuff like this or *almost* any coding discussed around here, particularly in US where there are laws that specifically disallow a manufacturer to deny warranty due to modifications unless they can show that the modification itself is what caused the defect. I can't see ambient lighting causing an engine failure.

Instead of being constantly against it's customers, BMW should figure out how to monetize this level and depth of customization. Hire a team of smart interns to write usable software and give them commission. $1 per small customization if you retain it beyond 7 days. But they're too far up their own asses to do so.

In my case, most of my coding is to solve actual bugs/design defects which render the driving experience frustrating at best. So, frankly, BMW is going to have a rather severe and public fight on their hands if they try to take any dumb punitive actions in my case.
"Monetize this"? Bro I didn't pay $100k so that BMW can charge me more money to change basic Hex values.

I've paid my due for that feature already, if anything they should be paying me back for having to spend time coding simple colours in myself.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      09-02-2020, 01:22 AM   #99
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Wink Please sir can I have some more ambient lighting colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
"Monetize this"? Bro I didn't pay $100k so that BMW can charge me more money to change basic Hex values.

I've paid my due for that feature already, if anything they should be paying me back for having to spend time coding simple colours in myself.
Agreed, this customisation should be on the car from day one, I mean the ability is there already to do it, Just that BMW have decided that they don’t want customers to have the same ambient lighting as say a VW, MERCEDES or even a Fkn KIA. Come on BMW sort it out FFS.
I mean you’ve gone to town on the sky lounge with all its twinkly LED’s and thought that was OK for us peasants, how about adding a few extra colours for the ambient lighting
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 03:15 AM   #100
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right now, they've apparently started to monitor and "flag" and that makes it an "us against them" situation. If, instead, they monetized it for a reasonable price, it puts us all on the same side — "why can't we all just get along" type of thing. That's the concept I presented.
      09-02-2020, 03:49 AM   #101
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

I prefer having full control over the car I paid for to being monetized for changing hex values in a control module.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #102
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right now, they've apparently started to monitor and "flag" and that makes it an "us against them" situation. If, instead, they monetized it for a reasonable price, it puts us all on the same side — "why can't we all just get along" type of thing. That's the concept I presented.
They've already monetized it in the form of $100,000. And all of us have all paid it already.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #103
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
I prefer having full control over the car I paid for to being monetized for changing hex values in a control module.
I can see your car being flagged if you did an ECU tune or something where you're actually changing the performance parameters of the engine. However, the type of coding that we're all doing here and talking about is simply adjusting preferences and not actually physically changing anything. If BMW says my VIN got flagged b/c I have the 5 blink setting instead of the 3, I will literally sell my car right then and go buy a GLE580.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #104
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I can see your car being flagged if you did an ECU tune or something where you're actually changing the performance parameters of the engine. However, the type of coding that we're all doing here and talking about is simply adjusting preferences and not actually physically changing anything. If BMW says my VIN got flagged b/c I have the 5 blink setting instead of the 3, I will literally sell my car right then and go buy a GLE580.
BINGO. These fools better know full well what they are doing becaus I won’t hesitate for a minute to leave the bran forever over something as dumb as this.
Appreciate 1
Pumxee102.00
      09-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #105
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BINGO. These fools better know full well what they are doing becaus I won’t hesitate for a minute to leave the bran forever over something as dumb as this.
100% agreed. I have no problem losing a few grand on a trade-in to the AMG GLE Coupe if BMW pulls some shady shit over something as simple and stupid as this.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #106
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:

You manipulate a software, what do you except???
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #107
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
This is not the stuff the flagging software is looking for. Otherwise we'd all be flagged for quite some time now and until someone comes up and says ya I got flagged during my xxx service for changing my ambient lighting then let's just leave this thread to the OP topic. And get back to figure it out how to change the damn speaker lights. I'm in an M5 and they don't even change color. Just white (which I'd rather have than the green with the red/blue I saw earlier).
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
AlexGT416.50
      09-02-2020, 01:40 PM   #108
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
You manipulate a software, what do you except???
When you say manipulate the software, I would interpret that as changing the software code. That's not what we're doing. I don't even know if you can actually do that. The software is already coded to allow all these options - we're simply just unlocking them. If you take the 5 blink turn signal as an example - the software is already programmed to allow that. All that the end user is doing is switching a toggle from "inactive" to "active". You're not changing any code. If the EU can have 5 blinks, why can't the US?

Now if you can somehow get to the root code of iDrive and you're actually changing the code - like what people have been doing on Android phones for years - and re-root your iDrive with custom iStep version - that's a different issue altogether. I can understand BMW taking exception to that completely hypothetical scenario.

The fact of the matter is BMW for a long time has been accepting of the coding community in an unofficial sense/under the table. If they wanted to, they could lock down the ECUs like MB, Volvo, etc to make sure the DIY coder couldn't do anything. IMO BMW knows about the coding and lets the enthusiast have some fun - the ECUs and Modules that are critical are still clipped and locked so they reign you in a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #109
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I think you took a step too far, getting flagged is not equal to void warranty but it does mean more hassle
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #110
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
When you say manipulate the software, I would interpret that as changing the software code. That's not what we're doing. I don't even know if you can actually do that. The software is already coded to allow all these options - we're simply just unlocking them. If you take the 5 blink turn signal as an example - the software is already programmed to allow that. All that the end user is doing is switching a toggle from "inactive" to "active". You're not changing any code. If the EU can have 5 blinks, why can't the US?

Now if you can somehow get to the root code of iDrive and you're actually changing the code - like what people have been doing on Android phones for years - and re-root your iDrive with custom iStep version - that's a different issue altogether. I can understand BMW taking exception to that completely hypothetical scenario.

The fact of the matter is BMW for a long time has been accepting of the coding community in an unofficial sense/under the table. If they wanted to, they could lock down the ECUs like MB, Volvo, etc to make sure the DIY coder couldn't do anything. IMO BMW knows about the coding and lets the enthusiast have some fun - the ECUs and Modules that are critical are still clipped and locked so they reign you in a little bit.

Of course you change the coding. That's same as changing the FDL coding within the cafd.

It is changing or manipulate OEM software, vehicle flagged.
Appreciate 0