BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

On Tow hitch options

So, I have ordered my 2021 X5 MC, and it says that the vehicle comes pre-wired for a tow hitch.

And I know that there is no OEM or ordering a tow hitch, so I am planning to go the stealth hitch route. Stealth says they have been able to wire so that lights will work but can’t integrate it into the car systems. On other threads, I’ve read about a few folks that have found OEM modules and got them to work on G05s.

My questions are what exactly the pre wiring gets you and if anyone has had any luck with integration on the F95.

95% of the time, I only need to do a bike rack. But I will occasionally need to pull a tailgate trailer. I know zip about towing, so looking for real world advice. I’m most definitely not a DIY kind of guy.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Are there bike racks that connect to the stealth hitch?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
So, I have ordered my 2021 X5 MC, and it says that the vehicle comes pre-wired for a tow hitch.

And I know that there is no OEM or ordering a tow hitch, so I am planning to go the stealth hitch route. Stealth says they have been able to wire so that lights will work but can’t integrate it into the car systems. On other threads, I’ve read about a few folks that have found OEM modules and got them to work on G05s.

My questions are what exactly the pre wiring gets you and if anyone has had any luck with integration on the F95.

95% of the time, I only need to do a bike rack. But I will occasionally need to pull a tailgate trailer. I know zip about towing, so looking for real world advice. I’m most definitely not a DIY kind of guy.
Pre-wire is simply a pigtail connector that is pre-wired to the CanBus so you can easily plug the OEM harness and control module in without any wire cutting or splicing. There are several threads on this forum regarding hitch options.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:25 AM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Are there bike racks that connect to the stealth hitch?
If you are talking actual Stealth Hitch as in the Brand (not the so called OEM BMW "stealth" hitch), then yes. When ordering from StealthHitch LLC you need to specify what size "receiver" tube you want. Most go with 2", but most modern hitch mounted bike racks sold in North America can accommodate a 2" or 1 1/2" receiver. Check with your bike rack manual or talk to the person you are buying the bike rack from. Stealth does not sell the bike racks just the hitch and receiver.

Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      10-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
If you are talking actual Stealth Hitch as in the Brand (not the so called OEM BMW "stealth" hitch), then yes. When ordering from StealthHitch LLC you need to specify what size "receiver" tube you want. Most go with 2", but most modern hitch mounted bike racks sold in North America can accommodate a 2" or 1 1/2" receiver. Check with your bike rack manual or talk to the person you are buying the bike rack from. Stealth does not sell the bike racks just the hitch and receiver.
I did not know that so thank you!
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Pre-wire is simply a pigtail connector that is pre-wired to the CanBus so you can easily plug the OEM harness and control module in without any wire cutting or splicing. There are several threads on this forum regarding hitch options.
This is what I am getting at. In reading all of those posts, it is not clear to me if the Stealth Hitch + OEM harness + control module on an X5M will work, e.g. the car can be coded and will recognize the trailer as if it were an X5 with factory installed hitch.

Aside from availability of the harness and module, i could not tell if the person who tried and videoed it was limited to one model of the X5 or how universal it was across models. Also, in my recent (ca. a week ago) exchange with the folks at Stealth, they said the best they have been able to do with a customer's X5M was get the trailer lights to work.

Looking to see what the state of the art of the possible is from those who may have more recent or model-specific experience.

It really amazes me that the BMW marketing folks think it inappropriate for X5M owners to want to tow or carry a bike rack...but then run the wires for the hitch and note it as a standard feature. Kinda like limiting paint and interior choices on a flagship car.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Has anyone been able to get an update on the progress from Stealth Hitch for the X6M? Last I spoke to Richard at Stealth he said it was still in approval status, fitting was completed in September. My X6MC just went to code 155 so I am getting a little anxious to get the hitch approved, built and shipped.

Appreciate 0