BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

TAG

Need a little help. I'm mostly "concerned" for lack of a better word, with value retention and how the brand is viewd overall in the timepiece community. How would you rate TAG Heuer overall? Where would you place it in comparison with Longines and IWC for quality and value?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, I chose those 2 other brands as a comparison because at quick glance my guess would be it falls right between the two.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
1stm235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril blue m235i

So far so good. I have 4 Tags just got one from lvmhpartners family friends sale
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:16 AM   #4
K99
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i M Grey C Red auto

Don't know, don't see the point of watches anymore, since mobile/cell phones came along.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
RB2
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d msport 528 m sport

My tag auto aqua racer keeps crap time, runs about 5mins slow per ten days. The likes of Rolex and omega will keep better time according to my local jeweller.

I like my tag for aesthetics but I wouldn't have another
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Definitely not in the same league as IWC, I'd put Omega ahead of Tag as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K99 View Post
Don't know, don't see the point of watches anymore, since mobile/cell phones came along.
That's what I used to say. But it's not about knowing what time it is. It's just an accessory, bro jewelry in a guys case. I never wear any jewelry, except the wedding band. I originally just wanted an IWC or Jaeger level piece to wear occasionally. Mostly for nicer occasions. Now I kind of want a bit of a cheaper one as well to wear a bit more often.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Do you think they are better revered than Longines or similar level? I'm trying to find something between 3 and 5k as a comparison to a Longines that is in the 2k area, and an IWC that is 7k, and the Jaeger falling around 10k (all retail). TAG has one of the very few options with the style I'm looking for in that middle range.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm235i View Post
So far so good. I have 4 Tags just got one from lvmhpartners family friends sale
Nice. Yea they def have some nice pieces. I'm just trying to be totally clear on the brand I'm buying into. None of these are exactly cheap. haha
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
Quote:
Do you think they are better revered than Longines or similar level? I'm trying to find something between 3 and 5k as a comparison to a Longines that is in the 2k area, and an IWC that is 7k, and the Jaeger falling around 10k (all retail). TAG has one of the very few options with the style I'm looking for in that middle range.
Do yourself a favor and get a pre owned IWC with a warranty. You can get a pristine one in your price range, someone else took the big depreciation hit already, and it's a million times better than any full price brand new Tag you can get. Once you get past $7k level (aquatimers and whatnot) you're paying for exotic materials, perpetual calendar movements, more complicated movements, etc. A rose gold Jaeger doesn't cost 5x what a stainless IWC does bc the movement is 5x better. At that point you're paying most of that premium for gold.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm235i View Post
Hahahaha.........I have the exact same watch on my wrist.

The push buttons tend to "freeze" over time. I had to send to TAG and have it fixed, and replace the battery. A year has gone by and one of the push buttons is stuck/does not move again.....
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and get a pre owned IWC with a warranty. You can get a pristine one in your price range, someone else took the big depreciation hit already, and it's a million times better than any full price brand new Tag you can get. Once you get past $7k level (aquatimers and whatnot) you're paying for exotic materials, perpetual calendar movements, more complicated movements, etc. A rose gold Jaeger doesn't cost 5x what a stainless IWC does bc the movement is 5x better. At that point you're paying most of that premium for gold.
Good points. I'll consider it. I'm looking at grey market too, but from what I have seen, most of the time you don't get the manufacturer warranty, but you save about another 5% and the tax. I'm not sure I wanna go full on pre owned but I probably should at least see what's out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Palomequet
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
IMO

The clue here is; TAG has an extensive line of watches for many budgets, mechanicals and quartz, making them affordable and with its Heuer heritage a good piece of conversation.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Good points. I'll consider it. I'm looking at grey market too, but from what I have seen, most of the time you don't get the manufacturer warranty, but you save about another 5% and the tax. I'm not sure I wanna go full on pre owned but I probably should at least see what's out there.
Buy from a reputable dealer like Govberg and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
love tag's. buy a watch because you enjoy it, eff everyone's opinion. don't be a puss.
      06-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I was at a jewelry store today and looked at many Tudor watches. I already own one that was passed down to me from 1967. Works flawless. If you never heard if this one it's just another option for you. Get a watch that you like.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Another thing if you're just getting into watches, little FYI. Having a crap Cartier will get you laid more than a $100k Jaeger. Watch guys will be impressed, girls won't know what the hell they're looking at. Chicks will judge you on your shoes, not get all wet and wild over the perpetual calendar movement in your moon master.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another thing if you're just getting into watches, little FYI. Having a crap Cartier will get you laid more than a $100k Jaeger. Watch guys will be impressed, girls won't know what the hell they're looking at. Chicks will judge you on your shoes, not get all wet and wild over the perpetual calendar movement in your moon master.
haha i'll keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
love tag's. buy a watch because you enjoy it, eff everyone's opinion. don't be a puss.
I'm asking for knowledge on things like build quality, longevity, and how they hold value because I want to get a quality piece. I'm not concerned with what will look the coolest to others.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
I'm asking for knowledge on things like build quality, longevity, and how they hold value because I want to get a quality piece. I'm not concerned with what will look the coolest to others.
if it breaks, throw it in the gutter and go buy another. you're welcome.

haha, i'm just messing around and felt like having some fun.

on a serious note, i've had zero issues with my tag and i really do love it. it is a bit more mainstream and you'll get mixed reviews because of that.

it often leaves behind a breitling transocean chrono limited edition in the watch box.

i mention the breitling because perhaps in some peoples eyes they are better quality but what's the point if it always gets left behind? as a matter a fact, maybe that's why it lasts longer, it rarely gets used. heh

of course i have zero facts or figures here, it's mostly opinion and probably not the information you're looking for so if that's the case and my post was of no help to you, i apologize.
      06-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Don't get a Tag for value. The values drop like a rock with some worse than others.

If you really are looking for a piece that has a high chance of appreciation, Rolex is a good choice.

But just get what you want... if you buy things as investment pieces, you won't wear it as much and you'll be concerned about keeping it in good condition all the time.
      06-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #22
E90Alex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 Competition

It is possible to find a pre-owned IWC Portuguese Chronograph for around 5k used.

The only TAG I would consider would be the Tag Carrera Chronograph.
Appreciate 0